Duke4.net Forums: Wii U vs PS4 vs Xboner. - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wii U vs PS4 vs Xboner.  "aka 8th Generation Video Game Consoles Redux."

Poll: Wii U vs PS4 vs Xboner. (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Which console are you planning to get this year or later?

1. Wii U (7 votes [15.56%])

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

2. PS4 (9 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Xboner (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Neither or Sticking w/ PC only (29 votes [64.44%])

Percentage of vote: 64.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Looks like Nintendo is in jeopardy & Satoru Iwata won't resign. Thanks to the lagging Wii U sales. Looks like this is the beginning of the end of Nintendo.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 18 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

User is offline   Komenja 

Hopefully this'll make them realize they have to change their game plans and stop fucking up. Hopefully.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Called it! It's even worse than I thought.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dial V for Viper: 18 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

If I did get one of them, it would probably be the Wii U since it's the only one with exclusives that I feel are actually worth it. The other two companies essentially pride themselves on having glorified computers for consoles that can't be upgraded. It's like owning a Mac.

Well looks like MGSV is a pure winner of 1080P/60FPS on the PS4. The Xboner's version is a/b the size of GG Allin's penis.

That's because the PS4 has 8GB GDDR5 memory compared to the DDR3 on Xboner.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 18 February 2014 - 07:43 AM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Nintendo....... might go the way of Sega and .... suck forever..... :blink:

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Unless someone turns things around fast.

View PostReaperMan, on 18 February 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

Nintendo....... might go the way of Sega and .... suck forever..... :blink:

At least Sega tried.

View PostProtected by Viper, on 18 February 2014 - 09:12 PM, said:

At least Sega tried.

Really? Because after the Dreamcast things seemed to just continually go down hill for Sega.

User is offline   Lunick 

The shoddy PC ports Sega had up until recently :blink:

View PostReaperMan, on 18 February 2014 - 10:45 PM, said:

Really? Because after the Dreamcast things seemed to just continually go down hill for Sega.

No, I'm talking about the whole Dreamcast era.

Nintendo hasn't given a shit for over a decade.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 19 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

Isn't it a little early to be trumpeting Nintendo's death? People have been predicting Nintendo would die for quite a while now, it's getting to be like end of the world theories. People predict Nintendo will die, then out come their better selling games, they make a comeback, then people will be predicting their deaths again when the next system comes out. It's getting stale.

What comeback? The Wii wasn't a comeback. It was a bad idea, straight up. It was Nintendo basically saying "Fuck you" to their hardcore audience and going after Bejeweled fans. It doesn't matter how many consoles you sell if your customer base isn't interested in buying software. Wiis were sitting on shelves collecting dust and that's why Nintendo moved on to their nex...err, previous generation system.

User is offline   Kathy 

When was the last time Nintendo's home console failed so badly? That's why Nintendo might exit home console market.

This post has been edited by Kathy: 19 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

I won't deny that Nintendo's starting to decline but I doubt they're that stupid to continue in a spiral if they see it.

If it reaches critical mass, I don't see them falling down the same path as Sega, given Sega's downfall was their American and Japanese divisions had virtually no communication with each other and they garbled up console releases that confused and frustrated many.

Nintendo, atleast, has better communication between their divisions so they don't have the same issue. Their profits are falling but, as long as they still have more money than it's costing them, they'll be sustained.

In short, it's too early to reliably call it, it's looking bad now but you can't predict how Nintendo will react along the road.

This post has been edited by MetroidJunkie: 19 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

I don't like Nintendo systems or games (since the N64) but they do have a diehard loyal following who would buy their next console just to play Mario, Mariocart, Metroid, Pikmen(??) and Zelda. I don't think they are in too much trouble, once they get a few of those games out they will ship consoles. They also have the child friendly image and non-hardcore gamer end of the market, which when combined with the loyal fans is probably enough. I think they are quite clever not directly challenging the market that PS and Xbox fight over. Lets also not forget that people have been singing the doom of Nintendo for a long time now, back as far as the N64.

People are more likely to own a PS4/3 or a 360/ONE AND a Nintendo as opposed to a PS and an Xbox. They also dominate the handheld market, their pockets are still deep.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 19 February 2014 - 03:07 PM

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 19 February 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

I won't deny that Nintendo's starting to decline but I doubt they're that stupid to continue in a spiral if they see it.

They've been in a decline for over a decade and they are too pigheaded and stubborn to change. How many times has Iwata apologized his mistakes again?

If it reaches critical mass, I don't see them falling down the same path as Sega, given Sega's downfall was their American and Japanese divisions had virtually no communication with each other and they garbled up console releases that confused and frustrated many.

True. But people are quick to forget that when the going got tough, they pulled off one hell of a turnaround. Dreamcast wasn't a failure so much as Sega was too broke to support it. It sold very well, just not well enough to save a dying company.

Nintendo has always had an arrogance problem. Read up on their attitude in the 1980's. Look at how they initially responded to the Genesis. Howard Lincoln tried to fix that by courting Western developers during the Nintendo 64 days, and he had relationships set up to last all throughout the next cycle. Iwata undid all his work. Worse still, Nintendo Software Technology used to be their American development branch. Now they only handle localization.

Pissing off developers is a shitty idea. Sega only got people back into the fold because they had a bad few years with the Saturn. Nintendo has been having a bad three decades. No one likes working with them. They treat third parties like shit. Then they brag about "improving relations" every product cycle and piss in devs faces and tell them it's raining. They have no credibility now.

Nintendo, atleast, has better communication between their divisions so they don't have the same issue. Their profits are falling but, as long as they still have more money than it's costing them, they'll be sustained.

Profits will continue to fall if you have a product like the Wii U. It will only get worse. It's even worse than the Saturn. These systems are knives to the jugular. It's a system that is an enormous drain on resources. It sits on store shelves and fails to rake in any royalties. It's a liability, not an asset.

Unlike the Saturn this thing will never have a cult following in 20 years. It's seriously the worst "main" system ever released by any one of the big four. This thing died quicker than the Sega 32X.

As for Nintendo's different divisions, retards calling each other over prepaid Obamaphones isn't communication.

In short, it's too early to reliably call it, it's looking bad now but you can't predict how Nintendo will react along the road.

No, it isn't. If Iwata and Reggie stay Nintendo is fucked, and they very well may stay. Iwata is clearly obsessed with saving face at this point.

It's exactly why Sega hired Bernie Stolar back in 1996. They knew the Saturn was a hot potato they needed to drop, fast. Stolar killed them with the PS1 launch and they hired him the moment he was available to launch the Dreamcast, which at the time was the most successful launch in history, surpassing the PS1 by a mile. I know people will burn me at the stake for saying this, but they need someone like Bernie Stolar. Or better yet, Tom Kalinske. They need an industry veteran who specializes in change and marketing.

Their image is terrible and their reputation is shot.

View PostRonan, on 19 February 2014 - 03:05 PM, said:

I don't like Nintendo systems or games (since the N64) but they do have a diehard loyal following who would buy their next console just to play Mario, Mariocart, Metroid, Pikmen(??) and Zelda. I don't think they are in too much trouble, once they get a few of those games out they will ship consoles. They also have the child friendly image and non-hardcore gamer end of the market, which when combined with the loyal fans is probably enough. I think they are quite clever not directly challenging the market that PS and Xbox fight over. Lets also not forget that people have been singing the doom of Nintendo for a long time now, back as far as the N64.

People are more likely to own a PS4/3 or a 360/ONE AND a Nintendo as opposed to a PS and an Xbox. They also dominate the handheld market, their pockets are still deep.

It clearly isn't enough. The 3DS is super profitable but the Wii U is going to gradually start eating away at that.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 19 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 19 February 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

If it reaches critical mass

On a Duke forum, we know more than most that critical mass isn't something you want to see. :blink:

I bought a Wii-U just for Mario 3D World, and I really dig that game. Only on the pro controller though, the tablet is very awkward and uncomfortable. As for if Nintendo goes the way of Sega and just publishes their games on Playstation/Xbox? I would have no complaints with that, the games are the only reason to buy their systems, and the systems themselves (and controllers) are often subpar.

I think PS4 is the best on paper for this gen, and it looks like it'll have the best games overall, though Xbone will have most of them too. 100 bucks less and no Eye of Sauron is reason enough to go with PS4 in my book. And of course, PC always is king.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

What comeback? The Wii wasn't a comeback. It was a bad idea, straight up. It was Nintendo basically saying "Fuck you" to their hardcore audience and going after Bejeweled fans. It doesn't matter how many consoles you sell if your customer base isn't interested in buying software. Wiis were sitting on shelves collecting dust and that's why Nintendo moved on to their nex...err, previous generation system.

Developers chose not to work with the Wii, just as they're choosing not to work with the Wii U. Both systems have great potential, but you won't see it because the developers are choosing to develop elsewhere - all because they're not satisfied with Nintendo embracing the same stupid fucking ideologies that Sony and Microsoft have taken up with the past couple generations.

The Wii U is the only one of the three that should actually be treated as a separate game system. The others are pleb-tier computers whose biggest hits can be played better on a PC anyway.

This post has been edited by Alan: 20 February 2014 - 05:49 AM

It's a bit of an overkill to compare the Wii U to the Saturn, let alone to say it's WORSE than the Saturn. Are we forgetting the developmental nightmare the Saturn was due to its hardware structure and requiring square polygons? The Wii U seems easy enough to get Xbox 360 gen games on, the real problem is getting Nintendo's fanbase interested, sadly the Wii had some real gems like Red Steel 2 that went unappreciated.

View PostAlan, on 20 February 2014 - 05:47 AM, said:

Developers chose not to work with the Wii, just as they're choosing not to work with the Wii U. Both systems have great potential, but you won't see it because the developers are choosing to develop elsewhere - all because they're not satisfied with Nintendo embracing the same stupid fucking ideologies that Sony and Microsoft have taken up with the past couple generations.

The Wii U is the only one of the three that should actually be treated as a separate game system. The others are pleb-tier computers whose biggest hits can be played better on a PC anyway.

That's a real leap of logic, man. They're pleb tier computers because not everyone can afford PC gaming, let alone understand all the technical shit.

You don't need shitty, quirky hardware to do something different. Why do people keep insisting that? You can do both if you have a solid foundation.

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 20 February 2014 - 06:20 AM, said:

It's a bit of an overkill to compare the Wii U to the Saturn, let alone to say it's WORSE than the Saturn. Are we forgetting the developmental nightmare the Saturn was due to its hardware structure and requiring square polygons? The Wii U seems easy enough to get Xbox 360 gen games on, the real problem is getting Nintendo's fanbase interested, sadly the Wii had some real gems like Red Steel 2 that went unappreciated.

It's not overkill at all. It's worse. It's a dud. It sits on store shelves. There's less software than the Saturn had at this point in it's life. The marketing is shit. No one is developing games for it. The first party support isn't there. The die hard fans aren't interested in it. People didn't even know it was released. In fact, they've actually managed to one up the surprise E3 Saturn launch by giving the machine the name of a peripheral.

If you wanna talk bad architecture, the Wii U uses a tri-core 1.2GHz PowerPC 750 processor...otherwise known as the G3. Yes, it is that old. This is an architecture with floating point performance so terrible, a Pentium 2 gives it a black eye, the Hitachi SH4 in the Dreamcast knocks it's teeth out, and the Emotion Engine in the PS2 rapes it and leaves it for dead.

There's near zero processing power there...You have to offload tons of things to the GPU, which isn't very good anyway. So basically you get to make last generation games with twice the effort! As much of a bitch as the Saturn was to develop for, when the Saturn Graphics Library came out in early 1996 it got much, much easier...and it was a true next generation system.

This machine has every problem the Saturn had and then some. How can you look me in the eyes and tell me that's overkill?

I have a hard time believing there's that much effort involved when developers were just dumping cheap ports on it right from the get go. You know Nintendo doesn't exactly have a massive hardcore fanbase. If it required any extensive effort, they wouldn't have even bothered. By all means, though, try to convince me that this system got so many slapped on ports by being HARD to work with. Hell, the Wii U versions of some ports visually surpass their Ps3 counterparts with no loss in performance so I'd like to know how the Ps2 leaves it for dead.

I just read an extensive article that actually claims that "Wii U CPU has much higher operations per cycle than Xbox 360/PlayStation 3" and "Easier to program, no bottlenecks causing trouble like on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3".

http://playeressence...o-handle-gta-v/

This post has been edited by MetroidJunkie: 20 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Big surprise that the Wii U is better than 6 or 7 year old consoles.

I'm not going to pretend the Wii U isn't overpowered by the other two by a pretty wide margin, just that it isn't nearly as bad as is being exaggerated. It's hardly a Sega Saturn situation. It's like when some people thought the Wii was weaker than the Ps2.

This post has been edited by MetroidJunkie: 20 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 12:33 PM, said:

View PostKathy, on 19 February 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

When was the last time Nintendo's home console failed so badly? That's why Nintendo might exit home console market.

Hahah, do you guys remember this shit? I remember like a year after this shit was released I could buy these bongos for like five dollars in my local backwater Wal-Mart. You couldn't give these stupid fucking things away.

View PostProtected by Viper, on 19 February 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

Unlike the Saturn this thing will never have a cult following in 20 years. It's seriously the worst "main" system ever released by any one of the big four. This thing died quicker than the Sega 32X.

It seems that Nintendo thinks the only problem the Genesis had was that there wasn't enough attachments, and if only they can top this then they can finally achieve financial success.
Posted Image

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostProtected by Viper, on 20 February 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

That's a real leap of logic, man. They're pleb tier computers because not everyone can afford PC gaming, let alone understand all the technical shit.

No, because they have almost all of the disadvantages of PCs, yet none of advantages. Patches, firmware updates, bugs, online codes. The fucking things aren't even working right without day-one firmware patches.

The main advantage of console was one configuration(and even that went down the drain with PS3'a and 360's systems with 8GB flash drives), which led to better optimisation; polishing the crap out of games, which is simply not the case now; unique games compared to PCs and vice versa. With more games becoming multiplatform and consoles adopting the worst ways of PCs, I don't see many reasons to own them. And the fuckers are even charging for multiplayer.

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 20 February 2014 - 08:22 AM, said:

I have a hard time believing there's that much effort involved when developers were just dumping cheap ports on it right from the get go. You know Nintendo doesn't exactly have a massive hardcore fanbase. If it required any extensive effort, they wouldn't have even bothered. By all means, though, try to convince me that this system got so many slapped on ports by being HARD to work with. Hell, the Wii U versions of some ports visually surpass their Ps3 counterparts with no loss in performance so I'd like to know how the Ps2 leaves it for dead.

I just read an extensive article that actually claims that "Wii U CPU has much higher operations per cycle than Xbox 360/PlayStation 3" and "Easier to program, no bottlenecks causing trouble like on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3".

http://playeressence...o-handle-gta-v/

- Tri Core IBM 45nm PowerPC750CL/G3/Power7 Hybrid

That's something new to me. I could have sworn that this thing was PowerPC 750 to the bone. I've heard other developers like A4 Games bitch about the slow CPU, though. They claimed it was far slower than 360 or PS3.

View PostMetroidJunkie, on 20 February 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

I'm not going to pretend the Wii U isn't overpowered by the other two by a pretty wide margin, just that it isn't nearly as bad as is being exaggerated. It's hardly a Sega Saturn situation. It's like when some people thought the Wii was weaker than the Ps2.

The developers have already jumped ship. It's the same situation.

At least the Saturn was incredible for 2D. Wii U just sucks at everything.

View PostKathy, on 20 February 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

No, because they have almost all of the disadvantages of PCs, yet none of advantages. Patches, firmware updates, bugs, online codes. The fucking things aren't even working right without day-one firmware patches.

The main advantage of console was one configuration(and even that went down the drain with PS3'a and 360's systems with 8GB flash drives), which led to better optimisation; polishing the crap out of games, which is simply not the case now; unique games compared to PCs and vice versa. With more games becoming multiplatform and consoles adopting the worst ways of PCs, I don't see many reasons to own them. And the fuckers are even charging for multiplayer.

Exactly dude. You use a PC. The whole environment is being homogenized. Why would you want to own one?

They've always been inferior. The whole point is software. Software was the reason you bought a Genesis or SNES when you already had a 486. It's why you bought an N64 and a Voodoo 2 on the same day.

Exclusive titles aren't what they used to be. That doesn't make them bad machines, it just means you aren't part of their target market.

View PostJimmy, on 20 February 2014 - 12:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

This. What is it with Nintendo and shitty hardware lately?

P.S. I own all of that except for the official cleaning kit.

This post has been edited by Protected by Viper: 20 February 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostKathy, on 20 February 2014 - 12:58 PM, said:

I agree, however i do admit that i like the ability to just pop a game in and play........ but i think all of new console now require installs... so they managed to fuck that up.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

What about release day patches? Your game was a pile of shit when it went gold? Jesus.

• The Sarien Encounter

Consoles suck now. They used to be an alternate venue for a different market, now they're trying to be PCs. I suppose in a way Nintendo had it right when they initially refused to have storage mediums on the Wii.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options