Duke4.net Forums: Project X - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Project X

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostHank, on 20 July 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

I played around with Blender. MDX is the format for Half Life stuff, and MilkShape should be able to handle those scenes. At least it is listed.

You can test the files below (when you are bored), and see if the meshes and bones work, if yes, I will add the UVs and details, if not, there is the old smd version ...

b.t.w. it's not just for you, I will eventually try to peddle my own models, and Valve is a huge community, so it's in my interest to understand what works and what does not, so you are doing me a favour. Posted Image

Duke in MDX

Smd's compiled into mdl's are what half-life deals in.. Also, what's in that archive is dmx, not mdx. (MDX is either kingpin or warcraft. DMX is... I think a general format that can be imported into 3DS Max and such.)

• Judge Mental

I'll be bringing back the Duke Nukem The Series thread when the series is actually ready to rock and roll. Until then I thought i'd throw this VLOG up in this thread since it talks a bit about Project X (and shows off a very early WIP edit of E3L9).

Thanks to Scott Searle for the Duke Nukem The Series fan art. Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, and here is Ash from Evil Dead. Just another one to add to the pile. (Might toss him in the background somewhere for luls)

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 24 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

User is offline   Komenja 

That stadium looks really nice, even in an unfinished state.

• Judge Mental

Couple new sprite sets:

Posted Image

Doctor Proton. This is a hack job of several different models. (Wesker from one of the Resident Evil's, a T-600 arm, Agent 47's head, and a couple doodads off of Proton from Doctor Who Cloned me.)

Posted Image

General Graves, taken from Duke Nukem Forever and given his original 2001 green uniform. (Didn't care for the dress blue look they gave the EDF in DNF. Way too policey, not badass military like they were in 2001.)

Up next, Bombshell, The EDF troops, and Duke's girl "Lani.")

User is offline   Komenja 

*whistle* Those are nice! Especially the Dr. Proton one. I like this design more than the Spidermech one from The Doctor Who Cloned Me.

• Judge Mental

View PostKomenja, on 28 July 2013 - 07:31 PM, said:

*whistle* Those are nice! Especially the Dr. Proton one. I like this design more than the Spidermech one from The Doctor Who Cloned Me.

I intend to also have his old hover-chair in there, too. I wasn't a big fan of Proton's design in DWCM either. It felt way too...Overt for Proton. Proton should be subtler in design. It's brain vs brawn. Duke is the tough guy with the OTT vibe. Proton should feel like Hannibal Lector with a bit of machinery keeping him alive.

Tonight

Posted Image

Bombshell. My way. Unlike Duke who is a gun-for-hire circa Graves, Bombshell is an official member of the EDF. She's in an elite group (Along with a handful of others that we probably won't get into in the movie, but needless to say she doesn't think much of Duke's bullshit antics.) The mesh is based on Sonya from MK9, and a Laracroft model that I chopped up.

On the larger portrait you can see Sonya's dog tags floating in mid air because of the way I ripped it from XNAlara. I need to go in and tweak that again before rigging. (I might even just take it off completely.)

Posted Image

EDF soldiers. He's lacking all the emblems and stuff to make him truly EDF (needs the banner on the arms. The same thing will be done to Graves, too.). Cool thing is they'll have a few variants so they're not just clones. I'll have various races, and some won't have the helmet. I want to make the camera on the side of the head much closer to Aliens, and i'm probably going to tweak the groin area some more. The EDF guys will make use of an assault rifle that I haven't picked out yet (Though i'm leaning towards what we saw in the E3 2001 trailer, an M4/M203 style combination.) Within the context of the story, and unlike DNF, I want these guys to be very similar to what James Camereon did with the marines in Aliens. They have a lot of gear, and a lot of ego. They don't worship Duke like a bunch of broski's. Though i'm sure some of them have respect and/or admiration for him. Basically they are there to get their asses kicked in a fun and exciting way, and help produce the fodder for Proton's version of "pig cops" (Which will be a really interesting sprite edit to do! Heh!)

The model is a hack job of various counter-strike and "The Hidden" player models.

Here's a quick update for today. I decided to get another cameo character in there. I snagged a model someone made for Sven Coop and started editing it. I still need to tweak the texture and get the colors perfected. The helmet in particular is quite bad. Still, he'll be in a "blink and you'll miss it" cameo... COMMANDER KEEN.

Posted Image

He's actually scaled properly too, so he appears at about four feet tall compared to everyone else.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 30 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

• Judge Mental

I had kind of a cool thought. I'd really like some community feedback on this one though.

I've been doing a lot of these sprite/model edits, and now i'm doing posing tests and so forth. Awhile back we had a thread here discussion the cinematics and models made by 3D Realms/Monolith for Blood and Duke Nukem 3D. Well, i've been thinking I might slightly change the nature of this project to be a little closer to that. Not by a lot, just a stylistic thing. Check this out.

Here, this is a still from the end of the episode 3 fight. It's a faux-widescreen 320x200 image with a 256 color palette applied. Personally, I always loved the gritty look of this stuff.

Posted Image

So here's a very rough screen test I did with ol' Duke by Tea Monster. We start with a 320x200 image rendered out of my animation program....

Posted Image

...Dump that into Paintshop Pro. Drop the fake bars on top(Already included in the preview above). Apply 256 color limit. And then raise it up to 1280x720.

Posted Image

Viola!

Here's a very quick test that I slapped together. Keep in mind all of this basically occurred within the last hour. It's not exactly supreme, but basically, I think I like it.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or anyway I can improve upon this direction would be very helpful indeed. Posted Image

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Looking damn good. You know what would be awesome? If you remade those DN3D ending scenes with that good ol Duke :P

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I was thinking of doing the one with the Cycloid, but I probably won't have time. Then again, someone released the source models of the Cycloid and Duke, so if anyone else wanted to have a go...

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That looks great but the colour palette is too dull, compared to the vanilla one above. Needs to be a bit brighter with the colours amped a bit.

• Judge Mental

I was gonna say I thought "someone" was already handling those/that. Posted Image If I was gonna do it, i'd rather wait and have the source materials to do it for all the cinematics. We're missing quite a few models for that to happen, though. Plus, I don't really trust my skills to do that to the standard of the HRP. I certainly appreciate the vote of confidence though. To be honest, it's a very big leap from this to doing the HD remakes of those cutscenes.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 July 2013 - 05:04 AM, said:

That looks great but the colour palette is too dull, compared to the vanilla one above. Needs to be a bit brighter with the colours amped a bit.

I agree, yeah. I've had the original ANM's decompiled into their pcx's files for awhile now. I'll be looking at the way color was used there very particularly to get the right look.

I'll be doing some more tests, hopefully much more interesting ones, throughout the day here. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 31 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I would recommend using Image Analyzer when dumping pictures into a palette (whether new or old.) It does the best job and it's free.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 01 August 2013 - 12:28 PM

• Judge Mental

Attached Image: Allguntest.jpg

Attached Image: Lockandload1a.jpg

Moving closer to the old Animation Master style here. That's Tea Monster's model undergoing a horrific retrofication process. I'm going strictly by what I can see in the cinematics in an attempt to reshape and restructure the model(s) as well as building stuff from scratch. Likely the entire texture will also be redone going forward. It's a mess right now.

Duke's "All Gun" there has no texture on it at all yet. Built that from scratch by studying the images available. Not too shabby if I do say so myself. Posted Image

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Looks exactly like the "all gun".

• Judge Mental

Been working on models for the project, trying to capture the level of detail and so forth found in the cinematics and various related materials like the intermission screens and so forth. I've stepped over to inanimate objects for now just to really get home the idea of how to put this stuff together.

Posted Image

In the image: Barrels from the intermission screen, key cards(Just a flat plane with rounded edges) on top of a modeled version of the crate texture found throughout Duke3D, Duke's All Gun, my custom version of Duke's pistol, pipe bombs modeled after the first person and pick up sprites, and a portable medikit. All of these are from scratch, or simply using game imagery for reference. Duke's pistol is based partially on a Glock 17, and a Pellet Gun. I'm not sure if i'll go with this one or not, but I was trying to find a different design instead of just using a stock gun.

Posted Image

Close up of Duke's Gun.

Posted Image

Little spinny GIF of Duke's gun. (For some reason it hitches at the end, im not sure why.)

Obviously, none of this is textures here, just solid color materials standing in place to give a general tone. More will come in the future. Posted Image

• Polymancer

The Blend file for the intermission screens (With barrels, toxic waste and post apocalyptic backdrop) are all in the sources I released, if you wanted to use them.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

A lot of people say Duke's pistol in Duke 3D is a Glock 17, but it's pretty evident to me it's a Hi-Point C9 with some modifications, and then 3DR fudged it around in graphics software.

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 04 August 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

The Blend file for the intermission screens (With barrels, toxic waste and post apocalyptic backdrop) are all in the sources I released, if you wanted to use them.

Thanks, yeah. I'm purposely rebuilding everything from the ground up to capture the right look. Posted Image

View PostJimmy, on 04 August 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

A lot of people say Duke's pistol in Duke 3D is a Glock 17, but it's pretty evident to me it's a Hi-Point C9 with some modifications, and then 3DR fudged it around in graphics software.

Honestly the more i've looked at the sprite the more I believe that one was computer generated based off several different images. The handle and slide don't look like they're from the same gun at all in the reload cycle.

• Judge Mental

Graffiti screen test, and the Battlelord's "Hive Ship" from E1L5. Untextured, but almost complete as far as the mesh itself is concerned. Made up the underbelly based on what the top looked like. (Unseen here)

Attached Image: Grafitti Screentest.jpg

Attached Image: The Hive Ship3.jpg

User is offline   Saiyuki234 

View PostJimmy, on 04 August 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

yep, it is a modified Hi-Point C9 with modifications. :P a Laser sight

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 04 August 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

Honestly the more i've looked at the sprite the more I believe that one was computer generated based off several different images. The handle and slide don't look like they're from the same gun at all in the reload cycle.

Indeed. You could be correct about it just being made in graphics software, you can see how differently it looked in LameDuke.

• Polymancer

The hands are kinda blocky from having the gloves built-in. With the flat shading you have going there, they should be easy to fix by deleting certain edge loops.

Apart from the hands, you've got a good representation of the old Animation Master Duke model there.

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 05 August 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

The hands are kinda blocky from having the gloves built-in. With the flat shading you have going there, they should be easy to fix by deleting certain edge loops.

Apart from the hands, you've got a good representation of the old Animation Master Duke model there.

Almost, yeah. I really have to rework the texture a lot to get it closer to what the cinematics are depicting. I also need to rebuild the whole thing with a higher, smoother poly count to get the organics in a better spot. I love the head, but i'm also going to rebuild that too. The biggest fault i'm seeing structurally is the neck area. Need to really work on that bit. I know for a fact that with the version available to Chuck, he had to segment his models. It wasn't until 1996 that the program had the capacity for a whole model to be animated as one piece without breaks or segments.

Attached Image: headprofile (Holo).jpg

On the subject of Duke's gun, i'm still open to suggestions and am looking at various fire arms. Anyone want to throw out some ideas? I was thinking of going retro-future with his gun, having something similar to Rage, considered going straight early 90s and giving him a Desert Eagle (Chrome or nickel with wood grips, not the gold.). Something with power, but not too ridiculous. Nothing with eighteen barrels and forty attachments. It's gotta be something durable, strong, and reliable. IMHO.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 05 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Durable and reliable? Better toss aside the Desert Eagle. :P

Plenty of handguns here under the "standard" section that I could easily see Duke shooting, like a Jericho or Sig Sauer or 1911.

User is offline   Hank 

a basic rugged hand gun, can be jazzed up
http://tf3dm.com/3d-...1911-19887.html

• Judge Mental

View PostJimmy, on 05 August 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Durable and reliable? Better toss aside the Desert Eagle. :P

Plenty of handguns here under the "standard" section that I could easily see Duke shooting, like a Jericho or Sig Sauer or 1911.

Eagle's not that bad. Only when you get it in the ridiculous .50 AE does it really start having problems. It's a fine gun in .357. A little too celebrated and overhyped due to Schwarzenneger movies.

After playing a lot of Duke 64 I might have to go back to/with a 1911. It's fitting of Duke. A classic American weapon.

Rebuilding a legend, one polygon at a time.

Posted Image

Not much yet, but i'm going to get there. I'm actually, rather ironically after we have been having the discussion on the perfect Duke babe, been using the original Lara Croft from the Tomb Raider CGI sequences as a reference for some of the tricks of the trade used back in the mid 90s on how to shape models. A lot of detail is missing from these lower res references, so it's all about very carefully placing down polygons. I do want Duke to be able to move his jaw/mouth at least on a rudimentary level. The biggest issue is that Duke has his glasses on, which force me to "guess" on the eyes. Not that we'll ever see them, but in terms of actually constructing the character, it makes the job that much harder.

• Judge Mental

Posted Image

Still working on the head. The jaw and cheek are giving me a really hard time. I had to put a rough mockup of the glasses in there because the eye area was throwing me off big time. I don't know. The lack of good quality references of that model are making it hard to recreate it. I'm trying, but I find that I am talking to a partially completed head. "Come on Duke, help me!"

If anyone has any suggestions here, please, share them!

User is offline   Mark 

TeaMonster's new Duke model has easily removable sunglasses so you have something to go by.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: dukehead.jpg

• Polymancer

There is a proportional editing tool in Blender that allows you to have vertices that are 'sticky'. So you grab a vertice in the cheek and all it's neighbours follow along for the ride. It might make editing new Duke model into something you can use a lot easier.
I don't know if there is anything like that in what you are using.

Oh, if you are animating it, you'll want to make your topology something like this: http://www.gameartis...d-topology-help

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options