Duke4.net Forums: Possible Hope for Modding - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Possible Hope for Modding  "Functions for building MegaPackage in engine.dll"

I've been looking around in the function exports generated by Noesis for engine.dll, and I've found some interesting functions:
	"?dnPackageMgr_BuildLinearPackages@@YAXHHVdnString@@@Z",
	"?dnPackageMgr_BuildMegaPackage@@YAXXZ",

Apparently there are some functions for compiling scripts in there as well.

Here are some random things I'm looking at\have found:

editor.int:
[MakeCommandlet]
HelpCmd=make
HelpOneLiner=Rebuild UnrealScript packages
HelpUsage=make [-option...] [parm=value]...
HelpParm[0]=Silent
HelpDesc[0]=No prompts; assume "yes" to all questions
HelpParm[1]=NoBind
HelpDesc[1]=Don't force native functions to be bound to DLLs
HelpParm[2]=All
HelpDesc[2]=Clean rebuild (otherwise rebuild is incremental)
HelpParm[3]=Parseonly
HelpDesc[3]=Only Parse files, no compilation

[Duke220ConvertCommandlet]
HelpCmd=duke220convert
HelpOneLiner=Convert DNF 220 packages to current format.
HelpUsage=duke220convert srcfile.ext dstfile.ext
HelpParm[0]=srcfile.ext
HelpDesc[0]=Source (input) packagefile
HelpParm[1]=dstfile.ext
HelpDesc[1]=Destination (output) packagefile

-TZK

User is offline   leilei 

I don't believe leftover string remnants of UCC is "hope".

@leilei
I know that, hence why I called them "random things I'm looking at\have found" I mainly put them there to make the post seem less empty.

-TZK

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTheZombieKiller, on 11 July 2013 - 02:01 AM, said:

@leilei
I know that, hence why I called them "random things I'm looking at\have found" I mainly put them there to make the post seem less empty.

-TZK

And yet, you called the thread "Possible Hope for Modding."

People really need to save their energy. DNF is not worth it.

User is offline   Minigunner 

You do realize that any hope of modding in DNF will be shot down by Gearbox, right? Heck, even the console has been taken down. Even then, this is just remnants of the editor that got withheld from us; you can't remake a new one from it.

This post has been edited by Minigunner: 11 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

User is offline   pjVgt 

View PostMinigunner, on 11 July 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

You do realize that any hope of modding in DNF will be shot down by Gearbox, right? Heck, even the console has been taken down. Even then, this is just remnants of the editor that got withheld from us; you can't remake a new one from it.

Truly we can't make a new one - but someone MAYBE SOMEONE has/had access to it. I will gladly cover expenses of such person to release it to the public. And Gearbox can suck my dick.

• Judge Mental

It's just not going to happen. Anyone who opens the door, Gearbox will close it.

There is nothing within DNF these days that, frankly, you couldn't get out of Eduke32. Driving? Got it. Insane interactivity? Got it. Dynamic lighting effects? Got it. The entire gammut of modding capabilities? Got it. Modern multiplayer capabilities? Coming soon.

So if you have money to throw around? Donate to TX or the other coders behind Eduke32, so they can take a couple weeks off from their day jobs and bust out the code. Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 July 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

Modern multiplayer capabilities? Coming soon.

So don't advertise it as an actual feature until it exists, foo'.

• Judge Mental

View PostMs. Radar, on 27 July 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

So don't advertise it as an actual feature until it exists, foo'.

Don't make me drag you into the shadows and turn you into my bitch, foo'. Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Anyone remember the days when Randy said shit like "Mod tools is something we'd like to do".

Then of course they intentionally take out every means of accessing the console. Not that they're bothering to hide their lack of passion about Duke and its community anymore.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

It's because they know the game sucks and they just want to see it dead too. How else could modding hurt them?

User is offline   Minigunner 

It's not that they think the game sucks (they don't), it's that the game got such negative PR that they want it to fall out of relevance in the gaming community (and thus giving them one less thing to be hated for). The ability to modify things would certainly slow its fall.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostCommando Nukem, on 27 July 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

It's just not going to happen. Anyone who opens the door, Gearbox will close it.

There is nothing within DNF these days that, frankly, you couldn't get out of Eduke32. Driving? Got it. Insane interactivity? Got it. Dynamic lighting effects? Got it. The entire gammut of modding capabilities? Got it. Modern multiplayer capabilities? Coming soon.

So if you have money to throw around? Donate to TX or the other coders behind Eduke32, so they can take a couple weeks off from their day jobs and bust out the code. Posted Image

No offence to any of the coders, but EDuke32 is NOT a replacement for a modern game engine. Yeah, we have per-pixel lighting, but you can't run it on anything short of a Cray. There are no particle effects, shader effects (reflection maps), bloom etc, etc, etc.

Also, I've suggested that we have a 'coding sprint' and it was turned down.

Also, if you suggest that maybe we should modernize EDuke a bit, the response is:

View PostJimmy, on 29 July 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Then do something original.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostTea Monster, on 03 August 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

There are no particle effects

Particles that behave in a halfway physically credible fashion are certainly not impossible using scripting. But coding them as custom actors without thought to algorithmic complexity is likely to yield unsatisfactory performance. (The most common offender is collision detection -- if you have N particles in a sector, and they are specified as clipping against sprites, you're running about N2 collision checks each tic.) So there's some room left for designing interfaces that allow implementing them in a convenient way. I don't think that such functionality should be baked into the engine, as it's mostly "chrome".

reflection maps

Is present (remember Plagman's screenshots), only lacking an interface, for example though DEF.

bloom

Probably doable considering it's only post-processing, but is there such a great need?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHelixhorned, on 03 August 2013 - 05:00 AM, said:

[Bloom is] Probably doable considering it's only post-processing, but is there such a great need?

I think a minor thing like bloom would help give the original levels some more zaz when using polymer lighting and the HRP.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

What it really needs is optimisation so that we can actually use the thing.

User is offline   Mark 

IIRC bloom makes things look like you have the contrast turned up way too high and things start to blur and wash out. I never saw the up side to that.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

A tiny bit of bloom on light sources/textures and such can look alright, gives them a nice glow effect.

When bloom is expanded to make EVERYTHING glow then it looks like the ass end of a hippo.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I like when bloom is used for the natural "light blindness" (whatever it is called) when you go from indoors to outdoors or vice versa. Maybe some minor bloom on some reflective textures when there's bright lights around but otherwise I don't like it.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

You mean HDR lighting.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options