Duke4.net Forums: Blake Stone Planet Strike source code released - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blake Stone Planet Strike source code released

The new Apogee has released the source code to Blake Stone Planet Strike under the terms of the GNU GPL v2 + . Thanks to SCPM of the GOG forums for the news. http://apogeesoftwar...one-source-code

After nearly 20 years, Apogee Software has unearthed the source code (or what’s left of it) for their classic FPS, Blake Stone: Planet Strike. This code (long thought lost) is being made available freely to the public as of today.

With the release of The Apogee Throwback Pack on Steam, interest in Blake Stone is at an all time high, and Apogee hopes that with the release of this code, fans will be able to bring Blake back in a whole new way.

“When we were selecting games for the Throwback Pack and decided to put both Blake Stone games in, I knew we had a golden opportunity to finally release the source code that Blake fans have been wanting for all these years. And when I contacted Mike Maynard, he agreed that it was definitely about time. Nice to know that those old 3.5″ floppies retain data for so long!” Terry Nagy, Apogee Software

The code is now freely available and can be downloaded from ApogeeSoftware.com

https://dl.dropboxus...urce%20Code.rar

About Blake Stone

Many players wondered how Apogee would follow the success of Wolfenstein 3D in 1992. The answer was Blake Stone! Where Wolf3D took you into the past; thrust into a world at war – Blake rockets you into the future where a sinister madman, Dr. Pyrus Goldfire, is using genetics to create an army of bizarre creatures and wage war on Earth. In “Planet Strike”, British agent Blake Stone will find himself in a life or death struggle for the control of humanity’s future.

About Apogee

Apogee Entertainment, LLC is a privately held Texas company with a core team of industry experts in game development, publishing, and distribution. Apogee builds franchises around original IP, publishing content for retail and digital distribution on next-generation consoles, the PC, and mobile platforms.

User is offline   Lunick 

Yup, Dave announced it in the new Rise of the Triad group chat.

I can only think of one person who would use this http://maniacsvault.net/ for the ECWolf source port.

Also I already asked Dave and the source code for Aliens of Gold is lost.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostLunick, on 08 July 2013 - 09:16 AM, said:

Also I already asked Dave and the source code for Aliens of Gold is lost.

It's shame when AoG one is lost, didn't PS one has many different from AoG, port AoG with PS code would be some difficulties I guess? :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

Who want some Blake Stone on iOS? :)

User is offline   DaveyDoomsday 

• Interceptor PR

View Posttermit, on 08 July 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Who want some Blake Stone on iOS? :D

Planet Strike is a better game anyway. Someone needs to use the code and make a source port that contains all the levels from both games and combine it into one game. I will literally pay for this to happen. I will also throw a bunch of Razer and Nvidia gear at you.

SOMEBODY MAKE A PORT PLZ.

Also, you're welcome. :)

View Posttermit, on 08 July 2013 - 09:43 AM, said:

Who want some Blake Stone on iOS? :)

I would love to have the game running on my Android phone and/or my Ouya. I would also love to be able to run it without Dosbox on my Linux laptop, Windows laptop or Windows desktop.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Ripper, who made Wolf4SDL (the best Wolfenstein 3d port) would probably use this too.

This post has been edited by Moose Man: 08 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

This is awesome.

The source codes I would like to see released next is: BioMenace, Blood 1 & 2, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures, Crystal Caves, Dark Ages, Descent 3, Hocus Pocus, Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2, Jill of the Jungle Trilogy, Redneck Rampage collection, Terminal Velocity, and... That's all I think of right now.

Speaking of which. Xargon is freeware w/ it's source code freely available.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Eblake32!!!!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 08 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

User is offline   leilei 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 08 July 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

The source codes I would like to see released next is

I think all of Raven's lesser known Mindscape titles could have nice source to look at/port from/bugfix up (CyClones, Necrodome, Take No Prisoners, Mageslayer)

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Good to see that Planet Strike's source is out. With that, making a port of Aliens of Gold probably wouldn't be as difficult with a bit of work put into it.

The one game I really want to see a source release for though, is Terminal Velocity.

User is offline   Skulldog 

View PostDustFalcon85, on 08 July 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

The source codes I would like to see released next is: BioMenace, Blood 1 & 2, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventures, Crystal Caves, Dark Ages, Descent 3, Hocus Pocus, Jazz Jackrabbit 1 & 2, Jill of the Jungle Trilogy, Redneck Rampage collection, Terminal Velocity, and... That's all I think of right now.

Speaking of which. Xargon is freeware w/ it's source code freely available.

Blood 2 source has already been released.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

^No, just an SDK.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostStrikerMan780, on 08 July 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

The one game I really want to see a source release for though, is Terminal Velocity.

Yeahhh boiii

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I think I am dreaming... Blzut3, the guy behind the ECWolf port, has already noticed this according to the news on his website and is working on a BS branch. Considering his port is one of the best you can use these days for Wolf3D IMHO, we might end up with a pretty good Blake Stone port in the not-too-distant future.

Anyone up for a remix of the BS soundtrack to celebrate the occasion? :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 July 2013 - 05:00 AM

View PostNightFright, on 09 July 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

I think I am dreaming... Blzut3, the guy behind the ECWolf port, has already noticed this according to the news on his website and is working on a BS branch. Considering his port is one of the best you can use these days for Wolf3D IMHO, we might end up with a pretty good Blake Stone port in the not-too-distant future.

Not only BS, and Super 3D shitty ark Noah's Ark and RotT supports in ECWolf... :)

• Honored Donor

View PostNightFright, on 09 July 2013 - 04:56 AM, said:

It's got great modding features, very easy to edit, but have you tried Wolf4SDL?

Anyways to be honest, I think both Ripper and the the ECWolf guy will do something with it :)

View PostPlayer Lin, on 09 July 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Super 3D shitty ark Noah's Ark

Hey.... Super Noahs Ark 3d is the best game ever.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 11 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostReaperMan, on 11 July 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Hey.... Super Noahs Ark 3d is the best game ever.

I don't know, maybe it is but I would like play Wolf3D instead... :)

Does Wolf3D have man eating goats that you have to put asleep with a berry sling shot? I don't think so.

User is offline   ZedSlayer 

View Postleilei, on 08 July 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

I think all of Raven's lesser known Mindscape titles could have nice source to look at/port from/bugfix up (CyClones, Necrodome, Take No Prisoners, Mageslayer)

It'd be interrsting to see shadowcaster source since it was like between wolf3d and doom's engines from what I've read

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

As I recall, ShadowCaster used an interim engine Carmack developed while investigating new techniques to make use of when work finally really got going on Doom. That's what I recall from reading Masters of Doom, anyway. The ShadowCaster engine didn't run very well but it was a pretty slow paced game so it worked well there.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

While I don't have any tech details, I've always suspected that the engine of ShadowCaster is a kind of a predecessor to the engine used in ROTT, as it has height differences and vertical movement possibility (flying) for the player.

Also, I think that ShadowCaster was the first game to simulate underwater areas with separate rooms where the player is teleported when "submerging" in a fashion similar to Duke Nukem 3D.

[Edit] Hmm, now I don't remember this clearly, but ShadowCaster also seems to take a snapshot of the current game view when saving a game, a feature I've somehow always thought was first introduced in Rise of the Triad, but ShadowCaster predates it. This also means that the savegame thumbnail might be something John Carmack came up with and implemented in his engine.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 12 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

ROTT is different... ROTT was the people at Apogee forking off from the original Wolf3d code, whereas ShadowCaster was an unrelated bit of tech by Carmack. Carmack did contribute the texture mapping code for floors and celings from Doom, however.

• Honored Donor

ShadowCaster engine was being made while Wolfenstein 3d was being made apparently. He decided to just stick with the Wolf engine for Wolfenstein, and sold it to Raven, and I think he sold it when Spear of Destiny was being made, which was also when he was working on the Doom engine. I hope that makes sense.

That's what I've heard from I think Romero in a video interview about his time at Id.

User is offline   ZedSlayer 

View PostMoose Man, on 11 July 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

It's got great modding features, very easy to edit, but have you tried Wolf4SDL?

Anyways to be honest, I think both Ripper and the the ECWolf guy will do something with it :)

By the way, I can't seem to find Wolf4SDL anymore, mostly just source codes and unbuntu stuff come up in google.

User is offline   NY00123 

View PostGasSnake, on 12 July 2013 - 09:53 PM, said:

By the way, I can't seem to find Wolf4SDL anymore, mostly just source codes and unbuntu stuff come up in google.

Based on this repository:

https://github.com/mozzwald/wolf4sdl

May it be the case that the original site for Wolf4SDL (http://www.chaos-software.de.vu/ seems to be the thing) is gone for good? :)
* Note: I'm not really into the Wolf3D scene so I don't know much.

Anyway, nice to see that the source code for Planet Strike has been officially released! Even though I haven't played the two Blake Stone games so much (apart from one full playthrough of both games and other very-minor looks), it is still the case that the source code has its potentials; Maybe for Aliens of Gold, too; Who knows.

This post has been edited by NY00123: 12 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

Here's a link to what I believe to be an user-friendly way to get wolf4sdl:
http://forums.steamp...d.php?t=2485487
(Made by me with an even more stupid nick name)

I provided the source website but today it is apparently down.

User is offline   t800 

Why do you recommend Wolf4SDL as valid source port for Wolfenstein games? I dont want to sound disrepectful, because honestly I admire great work developers of it made, but it is (as far as i know) not developed anymore, so it is getting bit obsolete and it still has some "quirks" which sadly still didnt get fixed yet.

On other hand, you have ECWolf, which is very promising looking and improving port. IIRC it partly uses some code from ZDoom, so it is much more modder friendly (mods doesnt have to be packed with all data files as full game as they were before, now it all only takes it is to pack important mod data into one nifty .WAD file), it supports natively modern HD resolutions with correct wide screen aspect ratios, allows turning and strafing at same time, breaks old vanilla dos wolf3d map limits and allows creation of much more complex and advanced mods (just try out ECWolf Tech Demo - it is in Download section of its webpage).

Link to ECWolf project page: http://maniacsvault.net/ecwolf/

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options