Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] MILL TOWN RAMPAGE - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] MILL TOWN RAMPAGE  "2-maps episode"

User is offline   David B. 

View PostHank, on 08 July 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

I am sorry to be the arse, but the new download link gets flagged by google under malware
https://support.goog...nload_scan&rd=1

It might be nothing, but bitdefender stopped the actual download manager when it tried to set up a New Tab setting of my browser to Easy Life Search engine. It's a harmless prank, but still ....

You don't have to use any download manager. Don't click on the download button at the bottom, but click on MTRampage v1.01 link just at the top of the page.
Almost all of the upload websites have those adverts and I haven't still found a good one to share a big file. I've got a lot of protections and shields, but no problem to download it provided you avoid the download button - I know it's ironic.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDavid B., on 08 July 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

You don't have to use any download manager. Don't click on the download button at the bottom, but click on MTRampage v1.01 link just at the top of the page.
Almost all of the upload websites have those adverts and I haven't still found a good one to share a big file. I've got a lot of protections and shields, but no problem to download it provided you avoid the download button - I know it's ironic.

Do I feel stupid now or what? Posted Image Oh, well, now I know what to look for next time.

User is offline   ck3D 

so far i only got to give it a quick look in mapster, without the hrp too (i do not have it installed on this computer) and i really like what i see, very strong theme and nice execution, i could sense the atmosphere even just strolling around in the editor in a setting that is not even recommended, hopefully i will get to play this fully soon !

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

another review from that "other" site:
http://www.scent-88....M/mill/mill.php

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

NEED HELP. I'm in the second level and just entered the blue key card area and can't figure out what to do after exiting.

User is offline   Forge 

do you have the yellow key?
if not go back and explore the under water section better
if you do walk straight out of the alley and down the road to the right of the building across the street from you -where the semi-trailer & first lock (red) are-. one of the buildings on the left side of that road is locked

This post has been edited by Forge: 09 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Couldn't find the yellow. Thanks bro.

User is offline   Paul B 

I have been waiting very patiently for the release of these two maps. I can't wait for work to finish so I can go home and try them!

Congrats David on a successful launch! I'm dying to try these maps out. The screenshots are amazing and really suck you into the environment. You have such a great eye for detail and design. Your definitely a mappers inspiration.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 10 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

Hi David,

Here's my review.

I just finished playing both of your maps. My total time spent on the combined maps was 3 hrs and 2 hours spent on this review. LOL!

I killed all enemies in each map on the "Come Get some difficulty" Not sure if difficulty was even implemented which I doubt based on the amount of automatic respawns in the map. How about them secrets???? I only could ever find 50 percent of the secrets on each map frustrating because I thought I was being really thorough! The ones I did miss were really difficult to find but I found them by Mapster afterwards so I could see how I missed them. Anyway, I'm a bit disappointed because with the release of your two new maps you've essentially made my new map look pretty shitty and I haven't even released it yet. Whaaa!!!! It amazes me how much you can accomplish in 9 months because we started roughly at the same time and you've done two uber high quality maps compared to my... "okay" map which isn't even close to being released yet.

You really leave very little room for discussion on these two maps because they are flawless from what I could see. So you and your beta testers did a fantastic job! I was a bit surprised to see so much sprite detailing though. The thing about sprite usage is it looks really nice but Duke sure has an awkward time navigating when excessive sprites are used. The Duke character tends to get stuck and random sprite glitches occur which bug me. But... it’s the nature of the beast.

I played the map like you recommended. Polymost and HRP. Frame rate was insanely fast. Never lagged once, I think I averaged between 200/450 fps which is super fast compared to the crap map I am working on. Key cards! I was really amazed at myself for not having any difficulty finding any of the key cards except for the last yellow key card in the second map. They were very well placed and followed a very smooth and natural progression through out each level. Didn't feel like a key card hunt at all. It's easy to understand roughly where each card should technically be without actually knowing their exact location. You are a genius! The gun selection, ammo and health I found very selective and well placed. I was always counting each bullet making sure I had just enough to make it to the next stash. The stashes were always right where you needed them to be. On the first map I especially found it humorous how you rewarded the player with more enemies after finding these little stashes! =) Made me question if I should really be going for the stashes of goodies or just running like hell.

I really enjoyed your choice of textures. You managed to make use of some of the most unused textures in the game and still make them fit perfectly in their environment. Very impressive!

I enjoyed the sprite work in the second map with the cranes, railway cars and semi truck trailers. Once again, it makes my semi trailer look pretty bland. I really should stop trying to compare my map to yours because quite frankly there is no comparison. While I was playing your maps they gave me the impression like anything is possible in the environment. I was half expecting to see one of those cranes drop a crate on my head and crush me! Even though I knew it technically wasn't possible with the engine.

What is really interesting, our maps have some very similar elements, some of the things I was trying to pull off you managed to do effortlessly. I find myself spending more time starring at my map rather than building my map because I just can't seem to get that "look" I want and you manage to pull this off in all your maps. What I love about your maps is you have a unique style that I haven't seen before in any other user map and it's present and consistent through out all your Duke maps.

There is one shortfall and it’s my fault. After I finished playing your maps I realized you had used custom music files for your maps. Unfortunately, by default I have my music turned off in Duke but I went back and played your music tracks and I could tell immediately which song was for which map. On the bright side, without the music it really made me appreciate all the little sound effects you used through out your map for ambience to the custom sounds for the doors, bar music, seagulls & generators. Actually I prefer playing maps without music and it was really refreshing to hear the different sound effects other than your typical run of the mill default sounds which get old fast. Needless to say, the map was still really creepy even without the accompanied music files. Nicely done!

I will include one screenshot from the game on the second map which has a missing texture on the back side of the crate. Everything else from what I could see was perfectly aligned and textured with the exception of this one crate. I swear the beta testers skip this on purpose just so the map isn't 100 percent flawless. =P Anyway, consider me your biggest fan! I love your work and your style of mapping. I wish I could play 1000 more maps just like those last two.

Playing these two maps actually made me feel like I was playing a game that was built on a completely different game engine. It just didn't feel like the typical Duke scene. Even the style of game play was different and well planned out and just different very REFRESHING! I really enjoyed the execution of your enemies and the attack environments how each battle was already very much pre-planned and very well organized.

Thanks for sharing your maps with me. The valve switch you used that turns on the second level right before the wall explodes, wow man very neat trick! I had to actually take a look at it in Mapster to see how you pulled that one off. Everything was very memorable and in all honesty these two maps are a perfect showcase of what makes a great single player Duke map experience. These maps felt very professionally made, something you'd pay money to play in professionally released title. The scaling of sprites/objects/buildings was perfect. You are the first mapper that I have seen that has been able to create Duke 3D maps and have the scale come across as being perfect in all situations. I know I sure strive for this and it's not easy to do.

If I can make one suggestion, if it’s not done already, go back through your maps and make them Co-op ready so people can enjoy these maps once Multi-player is done. These maps would be a lot of fun played cooperatively. You'll have to increase the ammo/health but give it a multi-palette tag for co-op play.

So my scoring system that I’ve stolen from Forge... Would go something like this:

Texturing/Lighting-Shading: 15/10
Sprite Work/Detailing: 5/10 (too much) LOL!
Ambiance: 10/10
Architecture: 20/20
Layout: 20/20
Game play/Design: 30/30
Overall: 100/100.

If I was a millionaire I’d pay you to make Duke maps that I could play all day long. =)

P.S - I noticed something strange while fighting the bosses it didn't really seem like my RPG rockets were actually hitting them. I found I had to resort to using a chain gun or shotgun to kill them. However, I'm not sure this sort of thing is something that you would be able to control might be more of a coding thing within the game itself and the rockets/hit boxes. That or i'm just not seeing those rockets register upon impact as there doesn't seem to be an impact. =S

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke.jpg

This post has been edited by Paul B: 10 July 2013 - 10:59 PM

Many thanks for that analyse, Paul and for the comments everyone.
Sad for that crate thing (and for another detail that will be found one day or soon by accident). In that very large map, I have missed it despite of having checked again and again the entire environment...

Edit : I find hardly the time to nuance my previous answer. So now, I'm giving some nuances.

I killed all enemies in each map on the "Come Get some difficulty" Not sure if difficulty was even implemented
Difficulty setting is not implemented, this is mentionned in the txt file.

I was a bit surprised to see so much sprite detailing though. but Duke sure has an awkward time navigating when excessive sprites are used. The Duke character tends to get stuck.
I don’t understand why it's surprising, and navigation is very good.

I played the map like you recommended. Polymost and HRP. Frame rate was insanely fast. I think I averaged between 200/450 fps.
I’m very happy to read this ; 200 fps ? That prooves my arguments above about the occasionnal fps slowdowns.

Playing these two maps actually made me feel like I was playing a game that was built on a completely different game engine. It just didn't feel like the typical Duke scene.
It's true bringing different sensations / and thinking with other games and places in mind gives also a second life again and again.

If I can make one suggestion, if it’s not done already, go back through your maps and make them Co-op ready so people can enjoy these maps once Multi-player is done.
About MP, I'm not sure somebody cares. I hope to be wrong.

Thanks for positive comments. Long life to DN.

This post has been edited by David B.: 12 July 2013 - 04:04 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I'm having some performance issues with the second map. Everything is great until I come round the corner from the spawn to the street with the orange light that has the tunnel at one end and the Cycloid at the other. Something about the lights is killing the frame rate at that location. It's strange as everything else in the other level didn't slow down my machine at all. Am I doing something wrong with my graphics set up or are others having this problem?

View PostTea Monster, on 12 July 2013 - 03:47 AM, said:

I'm having some performance issues with the second map. Everything is great until I come round the corner from the spawn to the street with the orange light that has the tunnel at one end and the Cycloid at the other. Something about the lights is killing the frame rate at that location. It's strange as everything else in the other level didn't slow down my machine at all. Am I doing something wrong with my graphics set up or are others having this problem?

Disable Polymer if you're encountering that kind of issue. This coming from dynamic lights and light spots activated in the street with that feature.
Polymer still needs a lot of optimisation. In HRP Polymost / (Polymer deactived at launch), it works fine depending less or more of the graphic power with no real trouble.
Paul has left some comments above and reports he had 200 fps when playing.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostDavid B., on 12 July 2013 - 03:55 AM, said:

Disable Polymer if you're encountering that kind of issue. This coming from dynamic lights and light spots activated in the street with that feature.
Polymer still needs a lot of optimisation. In HRP Polymost / (Polymer deactived at launch), it works fine depending less or more of the graphic power with no real trouble.
Paul has left some comments above and reports he had 200 fps when playing.

I remember the framerate being really tight on my computer; I played in polymost and have a half decent rig that can play several current games almost maxed out. I think sometimes it dipped to 20.

• Polymancer

I have an i7 and a GeForce 560ti, so it shouldn't be a problem. I knew Polymer needed optimisation, but I didn't think it was quite THAT bad. :D

It's a real shame as this is one fine map (OK then, two :) ).

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 12 July 2013 - 04:25 AM

View PostTea Monster, on 12 July 2013 - 04:23 AM, said:

I have an i7 and a GeForce 560ti, so it shouldn't be a problem. I knew Polymer needed optimisation, but I didn't think it was quite THAT bad. :D

It's a real shame as this is one fine map (OK then, two :) ).

Maybe if I remove the halos tiles used for lightstreets, it's gonna be also supported and playable with Polymer, assuming to have a good graphic card of course.
Cause I'm pretty sure the Polymer problem in that street comes from there. So what if I make this little test ? But this implies to release another version and it requires a betatest before to claim that Polymer is entirely supported.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I wouldn't bother. The halos look cool, you'd be downgrading the map for an unplayable renderer, which'd make no sense. Why would anyone play the map in Polymer anyway?

• Polymancer

They should be ABLE to play the map in Polymer, otherwise why do we have it? That isn't any indictment on the map or the mapmaker. Polymer needs optimisation.

Don't remove the halos. They do look cool. I honestly wouldn't change anything, it looks brilliant. Its the renderer that needs improvement.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

IMHO Polymer needs to be fully optimized so that once it's on par with the other renderers, Polymost can be taken out. No point in having an outdated renderer anymore.

User is offline   Forge 

if polymost is going to be tossed away, then the game launcher should be modified to turn the polymer lights on or off

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Brilliant idea. Should have been one of the first things implemented.

And before Mikko says "the original 8-bit renderer is outdated too", allow me to shamefully remind you that the classic renderer is the original game. Period.

User is offline   Shawneth 

Going to have to play this once I get the chance, seems pretty good from what everyone is saying.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Finally had some time to fire up Duke again...
Congratulations to your work!
I had a bad day in terms of finding keys and switches which gave me even more time to wander around and admire the great environment. :P

User is offline   Jim 

When I load up the milltown.map I get e1m2 music. I am using HRP, what is the properly way to load this so I can hear the music tracks?

Try with the version in the addon compilation, it has a specific fix for music conflict. And a map corruption fi too.

User is offline   Jim 

Can anyone confirm for me that the beginning of milltown is suppose to be e1m2 music? Or does the ogg track play right away. I check the grp file, the ogg tracks are in there.

User is offline   Jim 

Figured it out, just rename the ogg files to the same names as the map names, and it will play

User is offline   Hang-lip 

Holy moly that is impressive. Kinda speechless.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options