Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] MILL TOWN RAMPAGE - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] MILL TOWN RAMPAGE  "2-maps episode"

User is offline   David B. 

So finally after 9 months of work, I'm giving birth to this two-maps episode including many innovations.

MILL TOWN RAMPAGE v1.01

The map is designed and meant to be played with HRP / Polymost.
(See .txt file for more details about other mode).

This new episode takes place in a mill town under the grips of an agressive alien presence. The city now seems mostly abandoned on its own and
immerses players into a sordid and realistic industrial complexs. New sounds package and music level are joined to sustain an already strong ambiance.

Given the size of the file exceeding 30 Mo, I couldn't post it here directly.
Edit : For more convenience, a new link is posted on another site.
Here is the NEW LINK to download it :
http://speedy.sh/pDX...mpage-v1.01.rar

Click on the file name on the top of the page to download (download button at bottom is just ads)
Unzip the .rar file (not the zip) in your DN main folder, and run the .bat file.

Preview:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: MTRampage.png

This post has been edited by David B.: 08 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I'm not sure why I'm not hearing the ogg tracks.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I urge everyone to try this out. Great maps, took me 50 minutes in total. The screenshots don't do the maps any justice either.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Okay, here's the thing with music: If you have the HRP per the author's recommendations, you should also end up with duke3d_music.zip in your autoload folder. So, remove it to hear the new soundtrack. The mood probably takes a tumble if you go with E1L1 & E1L2 music.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 07 July 2013 - 05:35 AM

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 07 July 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

Okay, here's the thing with music: If you have the HRP per the author's recommendations, you should also end up with duke3d_music.zip in your autoload folder. So, remove it to hear the new soundtrack. The mood probably takes a tumble if you go with E1L1 & E1L2 music.

True. As I get rid of the original music for a long time now, I hadn't that point in mind.

User is offline   Gambini 

Great it´s released! I played the beta a couple of times and it´s indeed a worth piece of work.

Gonna make a lengthy post once I´m done with playing the final version.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Was really impressed with the design, especially the docks. Too bad my fps dropped to a measly 10 there so I had to avoid looking toward that area.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 07 July 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

Was really impressed with the design, especially the docks. Too bad my fps dropped to a measly 10 there so I had to avoid looking toward that area.

Thanks!
fps : that's very low compared to what I get. I also had some slowdowns but limited to min. 18 fps, close to the crane. Most of the time it'll work much better, around 30 fps or above.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostDavid B., on 07 July 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

fps : that's very low compared to what I get. I also had some slowdowns but limited to min. 18 fps, close to the crane. Most of the time it'll work much better, around 30 fps or above.

Yeah well imagine that adding just one Polymer light would probably have rendered the map totally unplayable.

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Played the map. Amazing peace of work you made. Got the whole S.T.A.L.K.E.R en Painkiller vibe. Still can't believe how much you still can make with these sprites. :)

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

AWESOME EPISODE! I beta tested this and was very impressed the first time, now the final version is much better, congrats man! Worthy releases just keep coming and coming!

Who said Duke was dead?

View Postdarkcaleb, on 07 July 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

Played the map. Amazing peace of work you made. Got the whole S.T.A.L.K.E.R en Painkiller vibe. Still can't believe how much you still can make with these sprites. :)

That's very interesting you have noticed the Painkiller inspiration. Those two games remain unforgettable for me!

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

One of the best maps ever, really loved the entire thing: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotmilltown.php

User is offline   MetHy 

You know something's wrong with the map when even the author admits to get 18fps in it....

Well, I´m sure it´s not the recommended setting but I tested it with the original art and looked awesome anyway. Just in case you can´t run it with the HRP.

I do understand that about suggesting not to follow the instructions, but performance was perfect without the HRP.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostGambini, on 07 July 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Well, I´m sure it´s not the recommended setting but I tested it with the original art and looked awesome anyway. Just in case you can´t run it with the HRP.

I do understand that about suggesting not to follow the instructions, but performance was perfect without the HRP.

Well well well, I never thought that Gambini would stoop to being such a hypocrite. If it's his maps, you must play with the recommended settings, everyone else's map; who cares? Posted Image

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostMicky C, on 07 July 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Well well well, I never thought that Gambini would stoop to being such a hypocrite. If it's his maps, you must play with the recommended settings, everyone else's map; who cares? Posted Image

lol

you've stepped in it now. Gambini doesn't say that. What he says is if you play one of his projects not in the way recommended and you experience issues, then that's your damn fault and he's not going to "fix" anything for your convenience. Play it as recommended or keep your cock washer shut if it don't work using other non-supported methods.

had other things on my plate. i'll try to make time for this release tomorrow

This post has been edited by Forge: 07 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostMicky C, on 07 July 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

Whaaaat? I was merely replying to Methy because of his remark about David getting 18fps. I even wrote an extra sentence just to prevent that kind of response. JFYI when David aske me to beta test the map, I told him I don´t have the HRP and he said it was alright, but that I should use Polymost, which I did.

View PostMetHy, on 07 July 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

You know something's wrong with the map when even the author admits to get 18fps in it....

I don't have powerful graphic card for games, so what I get is normal. That's a first point.
Second, slow downs are pretty rare and... so what ? nothing relevant and that's not the first time I see that with hrp maps.
And finally, if I'm not doing some work on advanced design, then maybe fps will be up to 100 fps.

This post has been edited by David B.: 08 July 2013 - 02:47 AM

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 07 July 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

One of the best maps ever, really loved the entire thing: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotmilltown.php
The review is excellent, I loved this Mikko

@Gambini : I said the first level was playable in classic mode. Now the recommendations remains the same, the best being to play with the HRP cause I designed the maps in this way. The architecture will sometimes cause some slowdown, but nothing important that prevent to play it with good expectations.

This post has been edited by David B.: 08 July 2013 - 02:48 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostGambini, on 07 July 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

Well, I´m sure it´s not the recommended setting but I tested it with the original art and looked awesome anyway.

Well I tried the second map without the HRP and it looked pretty bad. Look at those containers, for example.

User is offline   faked 

I just simply liked and enjoyed it very much! :)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDavid B., on 07 July 2013 - 04:47 AM, said:

The map is designed and meant to be played with HRP / Polymost.

:D You make me so happy. :)
(I assume you mean using the -hduke3d_hrp_polymost.def parameter or the Override Pack. Or did you use the Polymer texture set?)

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 07 July 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

Okay, here's the thing with music: If you have the HRP per the author's recommendations, you should also end up with duke3d_music.zip in your autoload folder. So, remove it to hear the new soundtrack.

View PostDavid B., on 07 July 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

True. As I get rid of the original music for a long time now, I hadn't that point in mind.
Easy workaround: add a highres folder to MTRampage.zip, containing the attached music.def.

I hope I'll have time to play and enjoy this really soon.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

if you were going to go through the trouble of editing the file, you could have also edited the bat to rename native cons to prevent conflicts so the episode could launch properly

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostForge, on 08 July 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

if you were going to go through the trouble of editing the file, you could have also edited the bat to rename native cons to prevent conflicts so the episode could launch properly
It even launches properly without a BAT when I put it into autoload, because I have a clean EDuke32 installation. :)
Therefore I usually prefer native CON names. And the trouble was just a few minutes I think.

View PostLeoD, on 08 July 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

It even launches properly without a BAT when I put it into autoload, because I have a clean EDuke32 installation. :)
Therefore I usually prefer native CON names. And the trouble was just a few minutes I think.

Thanks for helping. Give some feedback after having played it, hope you'll have a nice moment too.

User is offline   Hank 

Hello David B, I guess I am not that lucky getting the file, I tried again (three times), clicking on decline etc., this time again my home page switched to Yahoo, which opens my anti spy software and blocks the download or origin culprit, etc etc - I still did not get the actual file.

This post has been edited by Hank: 08 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostHank, on 08 July 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

Hello David B, I guess I am not that lucky getting the file, I tried again (three times), clicking on decline etc., this time again my home page switched to Yahoo, which opens my anti spy software and blocks the download or origin culprit, etc etc - I still did not get the actual file.

Go to Mikko Sandt website (MSDN) then :) on the link he has shared above : http://msdn.duke4.net/hotmilltown.php

This post has been edited by David B.: 08 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

View PostHank, on 08 July 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

For more convenience, a new link has been posted for easier downloading and access to the version 1.01, see the top of the thread.

This post has been edited by David B.: 08 July 2013 - 11:22 AM

User is offline   Hank 

I am sorry to be the arse, but the new download link gets flagged by google under malware
https://support.goog...nload_scan&rd=1

It might be nothing, but bitdefender stopped the actual download manager when it tried to set up a New Tab setting of my browser to Easy Life Search engine. It's a harmless prank, but still ....

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options