Duke4.net Forums: Hmmmm! - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hmmmm!

Hi guys (posting once again),

I am a tad worried (as we all are) about whether this game exists, my latest doubt comes from the latest screenshot/wallpaper.

The cycloid has been seen before, so has the pig cop and the octabrain. When I said seen before I mean the exact same image.

Why would a company who has an unlimited chance to take unlimited different screen shots from unlimited angles choose the same old pic again and again?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSinisterambo, on Dec 29 2008, 04:09 PM, said:

The cycloid has been seen before, so has the pig cop and the octabrain. When I said seen before I mean the exact same image.

http://www.duke4.net/page.php?70

User is offline   Sharpie 

Yeah they aren't the same images at all. Same enemies but definitely different angles. No doubt about it.

I see where you are coming from and 3DR keep showing off the same enemies. They do look spectacular though. Would be nice for some variety.

Maybe in that trailer that we all have "stay tuned" for for over a year will have the variety. What am I saying, of course it will. IT BETTER!!!

That is of course if there is one coming.

:)

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I think they use the same angles to not give too much away (DUHHHH)

User is offline   X-Vector 

Yeah, because otherwise their competitors would steal all 3DR's closely guarded brilliant gameplay ideas, necessitating another restart.

That would be bad.

User is offline   Echo Black 

View PostX-Vector, on Dec 29 2008, 03:05 PM, said:

Yeah, because otherwise their competitors would steal all 3DR's closely guarded brilliant gameplay ideas, necessitating another restart.

That would be bad.

I know you're being sarcastic (as you always are, never seen a straightfaced post from you), but I believe they actually used that excuse at some point. Well, not as an excuse, but I recall someone from 3DR saying that at least part of the reason for the media blackout was safeguarding the allegedly never-before-done interactivity/gameplay they were shooting for. Goes without saying it's a crock of BS, though.

---

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

Maybe 50-50 it's BS. Some of it falls to that category, and the other is just that they don't want to show the game too early.

oh yeah duhhhh

User is offline   mielpops 

View PostSinisterambo, on Dec 29 2008, 02:09 PM, said:

I am a tad worried (as we all are) about whether this game exists, my latest doubt comes from the latest screenshot/wallpaper.

A couple of weeks ago, I was also really fearing something went wrong and that they had restarted again from scratch. I must admit I was very disappointed with their christmas gift; anything more substantial than a cg's render would have been a nicer present to DNF fanbase for its patience.

Surprisingly, it's more GB's comments on shacknews that make me feel much comfortable with the game's current status. But fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

User is offline   trackit 

what comments are you referring to? care to post some link or something?

im not much of the shacknews person :)

View Posttrackit, on Dec 30 2008, 03:14 PM, said:

what comments are you referring to?

I was referring to the "all you ask for is there and coming" one:
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=187406...anchor_18740646

Makes me feel confident it's gonna happen in 2009... Or never...

User is offline   crunchysuperman 

• Honored Donor

Yeah, it was "coming" last year too.

Blah, blah, blah.

View Postcrunchysuperman, on Dec 30 2008, 03:34 PM, said:

Yeah, it was "coming" last year too.

Blah, blah, blah.

Yes, I know...

But I doubt GB would post such a comment if there had been another restart of the game lately. That's the worse thing that could have happened, or that could happen in 2009. The good news is that there is no evidence of this so far... (what a pity to consider the lack of bad news as a good news).

User is offline   Kathy 

Well, it may be "coming" even if DNF was restarted. "Coming" in itself is not precise time period, let alone in DNF-related topic.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 30 December 2008 - 08:15 AM

View PostLotan, on Dec 30 2008, 05:15 PM, said:

Well, it may be "coming" even if DNF was restarted. "Coming" in itself is not precise time period, let alone in DNF-related topic.

I know it's pathetic, but it's the only fresh "positive" information available yet...

At least, it wasn't a comment like : "Hey guys, just for your information, we fucked up once again with DNF development, and we have recently restarted it from scratch. Please do not consider all the 2007-2008 released media anymore, since it's no more representative of the game's final look and feel. Until WID, stay tuned, and have a nice 2008, 2009 and 2010 christmas. That said, I'm now gonna have a pizza. Cheers."

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

What CG are you referring to? Those models don't look like if they were CG at all, they area realy low on the poly scale. Besides they admitted it was taken from the game with the enemies arranged specially for the screenshot. But still using the game engine.

View PostDavoX, on Dec 30 2008, 08:57 PM, said:

What CG are you referring to? Those models don't look like if they were CG at all, they area realy low on the poly scale. Besides they admitted it was taken from the game with the enemies arranged specially for the screenshot. But still using the game engine.

You're absolutely right, "picture composition" is much more appropriate than CG in my post, sorry for the confusion...

But being extracted from the engine or from another renderer, it does not really matter in this case; this wallpaper (which is nice btw) does not bring any information on the existence/progress of the game, or on the engine itself. It tells us they have talented 3d artists that did very good models of already known enemies. It doesn't tell us anything on the characteristics or performance of the 3d engine (obviously, it seems to use shaders, but hey!), or on the enemies animations, or gameplay, or levels, or Duke himself, etc... This could have been a wallpaper for a freshly started game with an engine prototype, that's is why I said it is somehow disappointing, one year after a video teaser. Personally, I expected something more substantial, at this stage.

View Postmielpops, on Dec 30 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

I was referring to the "all you ask for is there and coming" one:
http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?id=187406...anchor_18740646

Makes me feel confident it's gonna happen in 2009... Or never...

You need to read that in context of what he was replying to:

Want to show us Duke? Show us strippers, city scapes, movie theatres, fucked up space ships, DUKE, money, bright colours, etc.

So George is saying that strippers, city capses, movie theatres, fucked up shapce ships, etc are coming, IE will be in the game. That is it.

User is offline   Kathy 

Well, they will be coming because the game itself is near the end of development. Right?

:)

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

NO

It is easy to assert:

YES

But seriously, we can't know exactly where the game is in development, but 2008 must have been the year with the most status updates on the game ever and going by those things sound great. But we don't know the details, lets not get over hopes up too much.

User is offline   Kathy 

I meant that if 3dr starts to really show the game as suggested by GB's post then DNF must be near of completion.

P.S. Well, I missed your original point then. You said about George implying only the existence of those things in-game. Not the coming media.

But seriously, we can't know exactly where the game is in development, but 2008 must have been the year with the most status updates on the game ever and going by those things sound great

Yes, it was a good year in terms of that. But those "updates" were kind of shy. Don't know how to say it in other way. It's like 3dr really wants to show, but don't want to brag. So, they are showing all the media about the game in an unintentional way. Thus, they aren't refering to this as start of the hype. Somewhat a safe position. But I'm still prefer a total blackout.

This post has been edited by Lotan: 01 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

In all honesty, the small updates where nice, but for media - I'd rather had a total blackout until they are truely ready to show the game in all fullness. It feels too big a tease to do it this way, but too late to cry on spilled milk. Everything that has happened in past year suggest they are getting the game together, hopefully we will see the real deal this year.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options