Duke4.net Forums: Help editing PALETTE.DAT - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Help editing PALETTE.DAT

I've never attempted to do this before, in short I am trying to use this palette here; http://forums.duke4....868#entry160868

I have tried using editart and Build_PalMake.exe, the resulting palette.dat looks fine in Editart (quite interesting actually, some of the textures look awesome) but as soon as I load EDuke32 I get garbage (see attached thumbnails) and the DOS exe crashes. I can supply the image files I am using to try and make the palette if anybody wants those.

Any ideas?

Attached Image: editart_002.png
This is what I see in EditArt

Attached Image: eduke32 2013-06-23 14-53-36-82.png
This is what I see in EDuke32

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Can I see the images/palette you were using? I've used PalMake before and have never had an issue with it.

Sure, I used this PNG (Though I have an identical .GIF version for EditArt);
Attached Image: QAYR0pc.PNG

Also, the resulting palette.dat; Attached File  PALETTE.zip (28.8K)
Number of downloads: 137

I suspect I have done something idiotic.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

There's your problem. For this program to work properly, the image you use to make a new palette MUST be 256x256.

I just tested the palette out myself, and it looks really bad with Duke's regular shade tables. I'm betting this palette is from the era where the game had shade tables two times as large. (64 instead of 32.)

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 23 June 2013 - 09:36 AM

Indeed, I noticed a big black line down the middle of my palette and it occured to me that the white square moved into the black space. A bit of quick tinkering in PhotoImpact sorted that out.

You're correct about the shade tables and I didn't expect those to work properly. Thanks for the help, this experiment has satisfied my curiosity anyway, everything kinda works if I remove the shading and it gives me a better idea of what the game may have looked like when that palette was in use, it was just something I had always wondered about.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

PalMake uses the shade tables from whatever Palette you supply it with (usually the Duke3D pal.)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options