Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: Reloaded - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: Reloaded  "Explain the situation"

Alright guys. I am new to this forum. I have been playing Duke since i've been 5. I got really disappointed when DNF finally arrived. Enough about that:
DN:R was a remake of the old Duke Nukem 3D. It was being remade by danish Frederik from Interceptor.
Now this is my question: 3D Realms has the right to Duke 3D, right? And as i see it, Reloaded is a remake of that game? So are they allowed to remake their old game or what?
I understood it as this: All Duke games BEFORE DNF, is owned by 3D Realms. So basically, they can do whatever they want with these games. Every Duke game AFTER DNF is owned by Gearbox etc.
So my question to you fellow Duke-fans. Can 3D Realms make a remake of their old games or is this not allowed? (I mean they just made Duke Nukem II for IOS..
Thanks. :lol:

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

It's a bit of a fuzzy situation. Suffice to say, they cannot simply release new things based on the previous Duke properties without Gearbox's permission.

I think the reason GBX was involved with Reloaded because it was basically a new game. But that is just a guess. Duke 2 for iOS is a "plain" port. But I have no idea where exactly the limits go.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

As far as I know, releasing new versions of the old games for new platforms is perfectly fine, but doing stuff like creating additional episodes for Duke3D, etc is not.

User is offline   Paul B 

I don't know too much about the politics behind this but I think if anyone releases any new content having to do with Duke Nukem they have to be prepared to massage Randy Pitchforks balls. So that leaves me wondering how Eduke is able to function legally? lol

@ Terminx - Ahh.. that makes sense.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 11 June 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostTerminX, on 11 June 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

As far as I know, releasing new versions of the old games for new platforms is perfectly fine, but doing stuff like creating additional episodes for Duke3D, etc is not.

So Duke Nukem: Reloaded for Xbox is fine but not for PC? I am sorry if i seem annoying but i really liked the screenshots of Reloaded. Oh well thanks for the response guys :lol:

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Reloaded isn't going to happen, period. And no, it's not "fine for Xbox, but not PC." Although it would be a remake, it would still be an entirely new game.

View PostJimmy, on 11 June 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Reloaded isn't going to happen, period. And no, it's not "fine for Xbox, but not PC." Although it would be a remake, it would still be an entirely new game.

Oh well. I guess i am never going to understand all of this. It is Duke 3D with better graphics and etc. And basically... I knew that Reloaded was never going to be. Not atm atleast.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's not hard to understand. It is not Duke 3D. It's a NEW game that would just copy ideas/locations/weapons/etc from Duke 3D.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Yeah, I recall reading that people who had never even played Duke 3D were on the crew. It was NOT going to be Duke Nukem 3D with modern graphics.

That would be about what I would expect. I am sure there all kinds of legalese around it, but I wouldn't be suprised if it boils down to what you said.

User is offline   ---- 

AFAIK (private person's knowledge) it boils down to this: 3DR own the rights to DN3D (and the other pre DNF games) and they can do with these games basically what they want. But, there must not be any new games 3DR/Apogee Ltd. (and also Apogee LLC) don't have the rights for.

I recall somebody asking for some new version of Duke2 (can't exactly remember what it was, but it would be something like an enhanced remake) and Fred answered that this suggestion would basically be a new game which is prohibited.

And remember how it all began (publically available to read on GBX' forums if you really want to visit that place). Fred releasd some screens and asked Scott Miller for allowance to make reloaded who pointed him to GBX, so this alone tells us that Reloaded would be a new game. Imagine it just like that new Shadow Warrior game or even the ROTT remake.

EDIT:
And I think EDuke was never in danger to be put on hold by GBX. But now even less than before. GBX and the mods became really defensive and quite after the A:CM debacle (they lost a lot of reputation when you look at gaming sites nowadays. and there is also the lawsuit, etc...). You can now basically insult them and the mods on their own forum with the harshest words now and "call them complete idiots who should hide under a rock and never come back" without even getting one single warning point. How do I know ... well ... I heard somebody said that and got away with it. :lol:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 11 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I think if it's not ever going to be worked on again, people should at least be allowed access to what was finished. Not betting on it, but it would probably be a good way to get people to stop talking about it. Interceptor should just announce that it's cancelled for good and try to get permission to release it.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 11 June 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

I think if it's not ever going to be worked on again, people should at least be allowed access to what was finished. Not betting on it, but it would probably be a good way to get people to stop talking about it. Interceptor should just announce that it's cancelled for good and try to get permission to release it.

From what I know that would be highly unlikely. And with "highly" I mean 99.99967% unlikely. That's what I guess from the old days before it got cancelled/put on hold. I cannot talk about any internal affairs from the old days. Just pointing out that if the Wizard or OZ doesn't come to this world and magically makes GBX turn around by 180 degree it is impossible that this will happen.

In (unofficial and private person's !!!) conslusion I would say: Forget about Reloaded completely. This game was buried 18 feet under solid concrete so that not even a worldwide zombie apocalypse could revive even parts of it.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 11 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

wot?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostCathy, on 11 June 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

wot?

Official episodes bundled with the game, I think, he means, which would make it a new version of the game. Nothing wrong with mods and user made episodes.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 11 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

http://interceptor-e...lio/pathfinder/
Could this be Duke Nukem? I Got a feeling telling me that it is.

If you do the math, it's a possibility.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

The Jovian way? Lol

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The art style looks more like Doom II to me than Duke.

There's soldiers in the background if you rip it and brighten it up.

User is offline   Rellik 

I'm leaning towards it being Bio Menace, but is Bio Menace a world-known IP?

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Bio Menace would be awesome :lol:
Im a big fan of Bio Menace myself

User is offline   Rellik 

That was ambiguous enough to be a no or yes.... Sounds like mostly a no though.

User is offline   Malgon 

Bio Menace had some seriously cool music. I always loved this track.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Looking at videos of the gameplay, you can just imagine someone doing a 'Duke Nukem II to Duke3D' job on it. Its even got gibs and dead NPCs all over the place :lol:. The only thing that that is really strange is the creature design. It looks like Dr. Mangle prototyped all his critters from watching old VHS's of Barney :lol:

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 13 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Bio Menace isn't really a world known and established IP(I never knew about it till right now) and they wouldn't have to skip a PC release for it.

Plus the wallpaper in the background of Pathfinders page is mostly a cut up of this picture with other things photoshopped in.

I still believe it's Duke, everything just points at it.

This post has been edited by Wesker500: 13 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostxMobilemux, on 13 June 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

I still believe it's Duke, everything just points at it.

http://paizo.com/pai...iconics/valeros
this is the original Pathfinder Series, an RPG.
And the image simply shows a savaged area, a lot of games depict that ...

User is offline   Lunick 

I suppose this deserves to be posted even though I personally want it to go away already http://penny-arcade....ing-of-duke-nuk

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

That hd Pig Cop looks incredible. Man, it must've been extremely frustrating to be led on like that. Gearbox used Interceptor to promote DNF when it was convenient for them. There was a comment from a ex-Triptych contractor the other day that Gearbox were really pleased with Forever - until it shipped that is. The worst thing is that Gearbox wasted Interceptor's time and extremely limited resources. They could've at least thrown some neat swag their way as a form of apology.

At least we're getting ROTT - which looks fantastic!

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 15 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options