Duke4.net Forums: ReDuke: Duke Nukem 1 for Windows - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ReDuke: Duke Nukem 1 for Windows  "by K1n9_Duk3"

User is offline   Lunick 

I'm posting this from K1n9_Duk3's posts at PCKF and the RGB Classic Games forum.

Here's something I started in April 2011: ReDuke

It's are-engineered port of the original Duke Nukem game.

- runs natively in Windows
- supports all three Episodes
- High Scores and saved games are compatible with DOS versions
- supports high-quality graphics (four times higher resolution) and sounds

You'll need the data files from the original DOS games to play ReDuke.

Here's a video of ReDuke playing the preview demo:
(the footage was recorded more than a year ago, so some of the minor issues have already been fixed)

Consider this a beta release. There are still some issues that need to be fixed (see readme.txt).

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

Great to see that there's still some love for the first game, I used to love playing it as a kid I can't wait to try creating some levels for it. I hope a DN 2 source port follows.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostNukeaholic, on 24 May 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

Great to see that there's still some love for the first game, I used to love playing it as a kid I can't wait to try creating some levels for it. I hope a DN 2 source port follows.

Well the source code for Duke Nukem 1 + 2 are long gone so source ports would never happen. This took the guy over 2 years to get to Beta stage and he did it from just observing video recorded in DOSBox.

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

Thanks for clearing that up, shame that the source code to both have long gone. I admire this guys determination. I wish I was that motivated.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

This guy... did a great job. Must of been alot of hard work to get this done.

User is offline   K1n9_Duk3 

I just uploaded the second beta of ReDuke.

Changes:
- added QuickSave & QuickLoad
- added customizable controls
- added demo recording
- added auto-scaling for backdrops and full-screen images and custom tile sizes
- added music support
- added "/fixratio", "/nomipmap", "/nofilter" and "/waitkey" parameters
- added support for JPEG images
- improved mirror code (less glitches when screen height is no multiple of 200 pixels)
- main demo now uses last level in the list defined in the string files instead of the hard-coded value 20 (allows variable number of levels)
- external string files now override idividual string sections instead of replacing the internal files completely

Here's a test video showing ReDuke with (some) HD graphics:

I'd like to hear what you think about the new QuickSave feature. If you think it ruins the gameplay, I'll turn it into a cheat/debug feature in future releases.

Whatever your opinion might be, please use the QuickSave and QuickLoad keys excessively! I hope I didn't miss anything while I implemented it, but you can never be too sure.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

How customizable would this be? Because I see a lot of potential with using this as an engine for platformer games.

View PostComrade Major, on 10 June 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

How customizable would this be? Because I see a lot of potential with using this as an engine for platformer games.

If you're looking for a customizable platform game engine, you could try KEENGINE. ReDuke was not meant to be customizable (as far as new/modified actors are concerned).

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What are the chances of it being ported to mobile platforms such as Android and iOS? I know the official iOS port has a few nasty limitations like framerate and saving from the menu due to it using emulation.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostLunick Prime, on 10 June 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

What are the chances of it being ported to mobile platforms such as Android and iOS? I know the official iOS port has a few nasty limitations like framerate and saving from the menu due to it using emulation.

iOS = Big no no.
Android would be possible. Would be funny if it came out on that before Interceptor got a chance

Also nice to see you made it to these forums K1n9_Duk3 :lol:

This post has been edited by Lunick: 10 June 2013 - 06:13 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Lunick, why are you talking to yourself?

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostComrade Major, on 10 June 2013 - 06:10 AM, said:

Lunick, why are you talking to yourself?

Posted Image

User is offline   Player Lin 

I like qsave/qload feature because I like I can control what time I can save/load my damn game at all, not needed to be afraid about must start all over again when died or just needed take a break whenever I want and then come back and start from where I saved! :lol:

Ruins gameplay? I failed to see it will be happens, when everyone can decide if he/she want use this feature or not.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 11 June 2013 - 12:38 AM

Here's ReDuke Beta 3.

Changes:
- Duke can now do somersaults
- HoverBots can now ascend "stairs" properly
- EnemyShots are less likely to fly through walls

- added DOS end screens (a.k.a. B800 screens)
- added DOS keycode mapper (ReDuke now uses the original KEYS.DN? file to load and store key codes. Keyboard controls should now be exactly like in the DOS version.)
- fixed a bug where files included in the executable could not be read due to case-sensitive extensions

User is offline   Lunick 

You're the best K1n9_Duk3 :)

Progress Update:

I'm currently trying to polish ReDuke by adding some of the missing explosion effects. The exploding Dr. Proton (Episode 3) should be causing the proper explosion effects in the next release.

If you notice any other actors missing some explosion effects, please tell me about it in this thread.

Any other feedback will be welcome, too. This is a beta release after all and I haven't gotten much feedback yet. Please try to play through the games with ReDuke and tell me how it went. Telling that you could play through the games without noticing anything weird is just as welcome as reporting bugs.

On another note, I was thinking about implementing a scripting system much like the one in Duke Nukem II so that modders can not only change the strings but also define where to draw them onto the screen, where and how big the windows should be, and possibly some other stuff (like drawing custom images or playing sounds). What do you think about that? It would require some effort to pull this off, so I won't implement it unless someone really needs these features.

Do you have any other notes/comments/wishes? Let me know!

Also, some of you might be interested in this:

The remixed music was posted over here.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 06 August 2013 - 10:54 AM, said:

Also, some of you might be interested in this:

The remixed music was posted over here.

I had to laugh at the Apogee fanfare. It was going decently until the last note. At least it's not as bad as this garbage:

Both fanfares and the Duke II intro song suffer from guitar overload. It's as if they go for a "cool", "masculine", "badass", etc sound using guitars, sacrificing being faithful to the original tracks. The original Duke II intro juxtaposed the percussion and the melody to create a sense of foreboding. It's hard for me to listen to this remix because the notes and percussion are out of time and it sounds way off.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah the drums are playing on the wrong beat. They come in a beat too early.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Goodness, that Apogee intro sounds stupid. Why couldn't they make it fade into an awesome orchestra arrangement? Instead, they put a guitar sliding in to play literally one power chord.

This ReDuke project is amazing.

This post has been edited by Nopony: 22 June 2015 - 06:42 PM

User is offline   Evilman 

Is this project still updated ?

I'd like to give it a try but all links are dead... It looked promising :/

User is offline   Lunick 

I don't think I have it anymore since I don't have Duke 1 installed from Steam at the moment. Hendricks maybe?

Edit: I found you a link http://home.arcor.de...iles/reduke.zip

:)

This post has been edited by Lunick: 07 January 2015 - 11:50 PM

User is offline   Evilman 

Amazing, thank you for the link, all i had by searching was either this topic, the ones you mentionned in the first post or an obscure russian website... :)

I gave it a quick try, i'm not sure if it supposed to be the same version as the "Reduke HD Test" video posted above, it says it's Beta 3 but it looks exactly like the one from the first post / original Dos game.

Quicksave / Quickloads are working great from what i tried, fade-out effects for the introduction is a nice addition too, beside that i can't say much more 'cause it's running like the Dos version - except it's a real windows port, which is pretty great and awesome in the same time, especially if it has been made from scratch, it really looks and feel like the real game. Maybe one thing, it can't be run in fullscreen even with a shortcut for a large window :/

No idea if the project is still a work in progress or not, or if the version posted above is available anywhere, but this version is still pretty cool.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

He should put it on Git.

View PostDaedolon, on 08 January 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

He should put it on Git.

Maybe. But I don't know if Git even supports BlitzMax projects.

Someone should put the source for the DOS version on Git.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostK1n9_Duk3, on 16 June 2015 - 03:47 AM, said:

Someone should put the source for the DOS version on Git.

DOS version of what? 3D Realms have said the source is lost to Duke Nukem.

View PostEvilman, on 08 January 2015 - 09:57 AM, said:

Maybe one thing, it can't be run in fullscreen even with a shortcut for a large window :/

You must set the color depth to 32 bits (or 16 bits) to play in fullscreen mode. Use this parameter: "/bpp=32"

User is offline   t800 

Sorry for bump, but I would like to play with those "Duke3D-fied" Duke sprites from your HD showcase video, K1n9_Duk3. Could you provide it for download? :D

Anyways, very nice recreation of Duke I. ;)

View Postt800, on 24 September 2016 - 07:26 AM, said:

Sorry for bump, but I would like to play with those "Duke3D-fied" Duke sprites from your HD showcase video, K1n9_Duk3. Could you provide it for download? :D

Anyways, very nice recreation of Duke I. ;)

Thanks. I attached the HQ sprites. Put the file into your ReDuke folder as "hq_sprites.png". It should work if your HRP.INI file is unmodified.

By the way, I forgot to post it, but ReDuke is officially dead. You can still get the most recent version (Beta 4) from my page, but that page will go offline January 31, 2017. Grab it while you can.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: hq_sprites.png

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I have just uploaded the latest version on the HRP website/server (including the highres sprites sheet). There's always some space left in the download section (scroll down to "Bonus Files"), and it has something to do with highres, anyway. This little gem deserves to be preserved.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 September 2016 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   t800 

Thanks for sprites, K1n9_Duk3. Too bad project got discontinued.

BTW I was looking before for any sort of glasses patch for Duke Nukem 1 and I noticed this post by Tristan from Sunglass Patch for Duke Nukem 2 thread. So I got inspired and whipped up this cheap re-colors based of Tristan´s work. So if anybody is interested here you are.

Posted ImagePosted Image

For usage, just move all .PNG files into your ReDuke folder and make sure that you have not checked box at Classic mode and checked box at Disable bilinear filtering (otherwise pictures will get blurred at screen resolutions higher than 320x200) in ReDuke options.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by t800: 25 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options