Duke4.net Forums: In which age you start playing Duke Nukem 3D? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

In which age you start playing Duke Nukem 3D?

User is offline   Player Lin 

6th elementary school... with illegal Australia v1.3d reg. copy(the one has parental lock enabled and cannot be disable so I guess it was...) from my brother's friend, not really knows how to buy a legal in that time... :P

Totally no idea what's Duke said and those English, I still too young to know English. ;)

Played every day and stop after got dizzied, but not too hard, the first 486 computer in my life just can't handle it perfect and I must restart the system when my game become a slide-show...very ofter happened when shitload of explosions appeared like the E1L2 building.

Hmm, then after 1-2 years later I got a used copy from my other friend, which is Atomic Edition one, still played a lot with the new episode and got heavy headache after see a lot of gibs and babes... :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 10 May 2013 - 04:25 AM

User is offline   ---- 

I started 1997. I will report my age after some coffees, when I am able to calculate it.

EDIT: Seems I was 16 then (first coffee revealed that I have a pocket calculator on my PC).

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 13 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

8. The game scared me at the time, but I loved the level design and everything about it.

User is offline   leilei 

Late teens.

This post has been edited by leilei: 29 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

I was 11 years old when I started playing Duke 3d. Too bad my ex-stepfather at the time enabled "Parental Mode" on back then. So no gore & titties for me back then lol!

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I was about 18 when I first started playing Duke3D. I started when I by chance found the shareware edition at my local Software ETC. then I had to wait a number of months for the full version to come out.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I would have been 11 or 12. Right when it came out. I remember reading about Duke Nukem 3D in a digital catalogue. I thought it was so awesome that Duke was moving to 3D. Then one day my dad got a copy of the demo. Eventually he bought the full game. My dad had the adult lock mode turned on all the time. Really wasn't hard to turn it off, though. The password shows right there in the CFG, unencoded. I think I spent more time fooling around with Build and EditArt anyway.

User is offline   Minigunner 

Right when it came out, and I was 6 years old then. Thankfully, I never got myself in trouble doing anything Duke-related IRL.

User is offline   Komenja 

First time for me was a few years ago, when I was 14. Found a copy of the Atomic Edition in a used bookstore. I had already been playing Zero Hour and Duke 64 for years, I was so excited to get to finally play Duke 3D.

Thankfully, I never got myself in trouble doing anything Duke-related IRL.

Wish I could say the same. When I was MUUUUCH younger (can't remember exactly when) my father, for whatever reason, took me to a Hooters. I just so happened to have a red shirt on, so I snagged my father's sunglasses and said to the waitress: "Hail to the king, baby."

Looking back, I'm just glad I said that instead of "Shake it, baby!"

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostKomenja, on 30 May 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Wish I could say the same. When I was MUUUUCH younger (can't remember exactly when) my father, for whatever reason, took me to a Hooters. I just so happened to have a red shirt on, so I snagged my father's sunglasses and said to the waitress: "Hail to the king, baby."

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

I was 8 in 1996. I was scared too but not so much about atmosphere and monsters, but more about parallaxed skies (and in usermaps, ground) textures. Each time I was near one I was afraid to fall in nothingness endlessly (and it actually happened in a usermap once)

View PostMetHy, on 31 May 2013 - 12:09 AM, said:

I was 8 in 1996. I was scared too but not so much about atmosphere and monsters, but more about parallaxed skies (and in usermaps, ground) textures. Each time I was near one I was afraid to fall in nothingness endlessly (and it actually happened in a usermap once)

I remember feeling that too with the night skyline in Duke 3D. I still prefer Duke 64's day time and 3D building models. That and the added palm trees made it feel more like L.A. to me.

Duke Nukem 64 was the very first game that I had ever played, when I was a little 3 year old. I didn't know what was going on, but I liked it...eheheh...

Then, I played Doom 64. I didn't play Doom for PC nor Duke Nukem 3D until I was about 11.

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 05 June 2013 - 10:20 AM, said:

Duke Nukem 64 was the very first game that I had ever played, when I was a little 3 year old. I didn't know what was going on, but I liked it...eheheh...

Then, I played Doom 64. I didn't play Doom for PC nor Duke Nukem 3D until I was about 11.

Now that I think of it, I don't think I technically played Duke 3D until a few years ago with eDuke. I was confusing it with the Playstation's Total Meltdown. I played TM and 64 respectfully growing up.

User is offline   Jinroh 

10 back in '96, a friend got it on release day and we played it like crazy. Then when his dad wanted to play we got demoted to the 3DO. :lol:

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 07 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

User is offline   Hool 

This isn't much Duke related by more "BUILD engine" related. The first Build engine game I played was Exhumed when I was about 4 or 5 years old, I even still have the manual and CD Insert in my wardrobe. I lost the CD though when I moved house.

User is offline   Fox Mulder 

18, back in 1996.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostJimmy, on 09 May 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

People forget how atmospherically scary Duke3D is. I was probably like 15 when I finally played all of Lunar Apocalypse.

You little bitch.

User is offline   djdori11 

In the ice age..

User is offline   necroslut 

Probably 10, maybe 11, I'm pretty sure it was before the console ports were released.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostJimmy, on 09 May 2013 - 08:56 PM, said:

People forget how atmospherically scary Duke3D is. I was probably like 15 when I finally played all of Lunar Apocalypse.

OMG. The music in E2L8 was scary as heck back when I was young!

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Late '96. 1.3 PC version. 27 yrs old
I was in the military service and deployed to Bosnia when the full version of Duke3D was released in Jan. 1996. I didn't return to my duty station in Friedberg, Germany until Sept. 1996.
Before I went to Bosnia I had seen my neighbor playing Doom on his computer and thought it was pretty cool, so I after I got back from Bosnia I went to the commissary fully intending to buy Doom. I was browsing around the shelves of software and sitting right next to Doom was Duke3D. It looked way more interesting than Doom so I decided to purchase it instead.
By mid-late '98 I had grabbed the Atomic edition and three expansion paks (D.C., NW, Caribbean) when I came across them in stores.

User is offline   Blues22475 

I actually started playing Duke Nukem in the PS1 Era when I got ahold of my friend's scratched up Duke Nukem Total Meltdown CD. Played it as a kid never got to beat it. Bought 3D as it is superior to what I was playing.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

When I first played the demo I remember being thoroughly freaked out by the chanting ambiance from Abyss. Nothing else was ever as scary to me. No problems with the episode 2 at all. At that point, after messing with the game files so much, I started to see how it was just a bunch of resources and assets put together and it ceased to be immersive in that way and became just a fun game.

Huh. Haven't thought about Duke3D in that way for a long time. It really was creepy back then.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 06 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options