• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

RELEASE: DUKE NUKEM FOREVER 2013  "it wasn´t a hoax."

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Just saw this thread rear it's head again and I still hadn't given it a try so I just gave it a download.

I stood at the top looking out of the window and was like "I wanna go down there!"
I just finished the first level and crashed the motorcycle to death after the car chase in the second level and I ended it there for now.
The first map was pretty awesome, gave off the appropriate vibe and atmosphere, I wandered around in awe.

Great work guys, I'll finish it up later, I don't like long mods as it is and rarely finish them, lol.

I still have no idea how you guys make cutscenes and intros like that and the part where the door was bulging with the guy holding it back was genius.

*- I really want all the duke art to be added to sw.
Is there any way to add the duke art starting where the original Sw tiles leave off?
Somebody convert it all for me...please? hehe

This post has been edited by Robman: 24 August 2015 - 05:42 PM

User is online   FistMarine 

OK, I understand about the bike issues.

EDIT: Sorry for editing the posts few months ago. Tried to recreate my posts with what I remember saying.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 25 January 2017 - 10:02 AM

User is offline   Gambini 

I finally got around to release this patch, which fixes the bike´s speedometer. It´s been coded by Trooper Dan in 2014, but kinda slipped my mind:

Posted Image

http://www.moddb.com...speedometer-fix

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

You showed me this at your house If I recall correctly. It's awesome that it's been added to the mod finally :P

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but it seems the end of the first level is screwed. You just crash into invisible wall and die, the level transition doesn't trigger.

Posted Image

I've applied the speedometer fix and wanted to replay the whole thing again.

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 29 January 2017 - 04:05 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostCryptKiller, on 29 January 2017 - 04:00 PM, said:

...transition doesn't trigger...

...I've applied the speedometer fix...

Have you tried driving at 88mph?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

Nowhere in manual does it mention, that primary mission objective now is finding the flux capacitator for the motorbike... this also should get fixed.

Well the mod has been played by thousands of people and you´re the first one reporting this, four years late.

Just to make sure:

Have you altered any file from the original package?

Have you replaced the eduke32 provided at release time?

Strong "nope" on both accounts. I've tried both ModDB and MSDN downloads, with and without applying the speedometer fix. I don't know what to say, really, I remember completing this mod few times, and now this.

Later this week I'll try it on my home PC, because now I'm at my work place for the next few days.

I have checked the map carefully and i can´t understand why that would happen. The ending level sectors are big enough so you can´t skip them, and even the ground at each side of the road is set to end the level too. My hunch is that some clock related bug is being exposed, probably because you use a modern OS or you have a very fast cpu...? I´m clueless but interested on understanding what is causing it. Maybe a corrupt file?

This post has been edited by Gambini: 01 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

@Gambini, I must say this mod looks outstanding. I wish I a had PC rig to play this awesome thing. I have to ask, do you plan on exploring the other past DNF iterations like 2003, 2006, or 2009 possible down the road? I know this current is based on the 1998 and 2001 versions. I think it would be really special to create something that would capture the essence and aww of DNF's history.

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostAP Dukefan94, on 01 February 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

@Gambini, I must say this mod looks outstanding. I wish I a had PC rig to play this awesome thing. I have to ask, do you plan on exploring the other past DNF iterations like 2003, 2006, or 2009 possible down the road? I know this current is based on the 1998 and 2001 versions. I think it would be really special to create something that would capture the essence and aww of DNF's history.

There are many scenes from DNF 2003 and 2006. The 2009 was just basically an incomplete version of the final build, so I don't see much point in including that.

You can see most of the copied scenes(side by side with their original inspirations) in this complete walkthrough...

What Richard said. And thanks!

Okay, so I've finally got to play DNF on my home PC. The results... aren't pretty.

I take some time to visit the options menu to show the settings.

So either I developed a curse which breaks DNF, or there is something going on.

Previously, I was playing DNF on my crusty old Thinkpad T42p laptop, with WinXP Pro installed.

Today, I've recorded the above footage on my QuadCore, Win 7 Pro, GF GT730 machine. Both times, I wasn't updating eduke32 or messing around in files. So, I dunno, the whole thing is becoming funny :P

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 05 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

User is online   Player Lin 

Looks like some shitty graphic driver failing but not sure(never encountering such funny shit, unless you put the mod files with your normal eduke32 installation or using latest snapshot...) Try update your graphic driver first would be good idea I guess...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 06 February 2017 - 06:02 AM

Dunno if it's about display drivers, because the sound is also failing. At 0:47 you can hear people screaming and Duke saying "who's next?". WTF? If the display drivers were the problem here, the whole intro sequence would work flawlessly, with music and sounds intact.

And yes, I'm keeping DNF separate from my Duke3D folder, and rest of the games work on my system, I mean come on, like two months ago I recorded LA Terror off eduke32 and also uploaded it to YT...

This post has been edited by CryptKiller: 06 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

That's really strange. Could you make a completely fresh install with just the latest EDuke32, duke3d.grp, and the DNF mod? If it still happens, could you run `eduke32.exe -usecwd`?

You are using a wrong/corrupt duke3d.grp. most of the visual glitches and almost complete absense of sounds is caused by missing files.

You are also using it in 32bits, it´s recommended to play in "8bpp classic".

So READ CAREFULLY :

- Make sure you install the mod right from the rar into an empty folder.

- Put your duke3d.grp in the same folder, your duke3d.grp should be 43mb big and from 1996. any other duke3d.grp wont work.

- Launch it from the dnf.bat file. and preferably select a video mode that reads 8bpp at the end.

That´s it. Don´t replace the provided eduke32 version as it´s the only that the mod´s been tested with.

View PostHendricks266, on 06 February 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

That's really strange. Could you make a completely fresh install with just the latest EDuke32, duke3d.grp, and the DNF mod? If it still happens, could you run `eduke32.exe -usecwd`?

I believe he´s missing the grp file or using a wrong one. I tried to reproduce the error but for some reason eduke32 manages to capture a grp from somewhere else. I believe if you have no duke3d.grp in your whole system that´s what would happen.

As for the latest Eduke32, I don´t advice anyone to replace the build we provided with the mod back then, as it´s the one the mod´s been tested with. There are always changes that alter one or another functionality or aspect.

• Honored Donor

Looks like HOM from missing textures to me.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Dumb question but... do you have duke3d.grp inside the folder? A vanilla atomic edition or plutonium pak duke3d.grp?

Also, do you have steam megaton edition? Eduke32 is probably overriding with that.

This post has been edited by DavoX: 06 February 2017 - 03:34 PM

It does looks like missing DUKE3D.GRP (or using other version like 1.3d, but not sure), as most of missing textures I see in his video are seems from official Duke3D graphics...

Then I try to rename the DUKE3D.GRP to other name on DNF mod directory and added -usecwd command line to the bat file and start the DNF mod, and guess what? I get the same result as CryptKiller's video, missing textures and sounds, shitload of missing files error spawned endlessly in eduke32's console.

I should ask CryptKiller post his eduke32.log first... :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 07 February 2017 - 07:36 AM

Sadly, today and tommorow I'm at work for a whole day and night, so I can't really tinker with this much further now.

But still, there's the thing about failing level end trigger when I'm playing DNF on my WinXP laptop. The only thing that comes to my mind is to let the attached eduke32 update itself and see what changes. Fortunately, I keep the laptop at my workplace (long live gaming during night shifts!), so tomorrow I should be able to post an update.

And for the record, I'm using the .grp file from GOG release od Duke Nukem Atomic Ed on both computers.

What does -usecwd do?

It´s funny because the mod is 4 years old and haven´t heard of a single report like this in all this time, and putting together the downloads it got from moddb and mikko´s site alone it´s safe to say it´s been tested by hundreds of millions of people.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 07 February 2017 - 03:04 PM

Actually, it puzzles me as well, because I clearly remember playing it back when you released it. The graphical glitchfest I think can be explained because of some duke3d.grp shenanigans (but then, HRP and everything else works fine?), but that missing end level sector on WinXP is the real oddity.

By the time we released this mod my kids rig still ran on XP and it worked fine there, not to mention that in the gross of retro players i believe a large percentage had XP in 2013.

My hunch is that you allowed eduke32 to update and got some kind of uncomapitilty between the modern Eduke32 version and the old OS.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 07 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostGambini, on 07 February 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

...the gross of retro players i believe a large percentage had XP in 2013.

Heathens! If you are a true retro player, play it in DOS or accept that you are a fraudulent hipster of a Duker!!! :P ;) :D

View PostGambini, on 07 February 2017 - 03:03 PM, said:

What does -usecwd do?

From the eduke32 wiki.

-usecwd : Read game data and configuration file from working directory.

The wiki says it's for non-Windows only but seems still working on my Windows 7.

And use the command line option will make eduke32 forgot all other copies of DUKE3D.GRP it did found on the system, and try to load the one on the mod's directory, since I renamed my copy in my DNF mod directory so eduke32 can't found it and throws "cant found DUKE3D.GRP" warning, but the engine still try to run with DNF mod's data only.

The result is missing all textures/sounds from DUKE3D.GRP, just like
CryptKiller's video shows, I guess his eduke32(for DNF mod one) was failed to locate a copy of it and think he has no DUKE3D.GRP when running DNF mod. Since that eduke32 is so old, if there is some bugs caused the duke3d.grp shenanigan problems and made his eduke32 of DNF mod failed to locate and load properly......but I would say whatever reasons, put a copy of DUKE3D.GRP on the mod's directory always working for sure. :P

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 February 2017 - 02:25 AM

Okay, apparently my hard drive is dying and I have A LOT of corrupted files on my drive... including duke3d.grp. After reinstalling Duke3d, everything went smooth.

So, we're back at the start - why endlevel tags don't work in DNF on ny laptop? Gonna check it on Saturday...

• Honored Donor

Just so you're clear, you did a reinstall of everything, including the mod?

Have you tried running it on a different computer?

Share this topic:

• 36 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options