Duke4.net Forums: 8th Generation Video Game consoles. (PS4 & Xbox 720) - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

8th Generation Video Game consoles. (PS4 & Xbox 720)  "Looking forward to the future of Sony & Microsoft?"

So is anyone looking forward to the PS4 and the Xbox 720? I'll pass on those two. Both consoles won't have Backwards Compatibility. The Xbox 720 might have an "always-on" internet connection, have to wait till the May 21 to find out. And both consoles will have AMD chips; processors and video cards alike (which some of you hate AMD).

EDIT: In closing: I'm not getting either one of them. Wii U is the way to go!

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 26 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Yeah the Sega CD, I mean, WiiU is gonna be awesome.

What a piece of shit.

Sega CD vs. WiiU

Overpriced - CHECK

Underpowered - CHECK

Dogshit third party support - CHECK

Dogshit first party support - CHECK

RELIES ON GIMMICKS TO SELL HARDWARE - CHECK MOTHERFUCKING PLUS (Full motion video vs. shitty 480p screen in crappy controller)

Yeah I can't wait for that. My cell phone has twice the RAM.

You know what, honestly, fuck Nintendo. At least Sega went out with an Uzi in each hand and died in a pool of it's own blood. This company has been in a downhill slide for a decade.

Can we stop acting like Nintendo is the savior of gaming? NO ONE REHASHES AS MUCH AS THESE GUYS. Even Bobby Kotick's lackeys innovate more in between the Satanic goat slaughtering rituals that stain Activision's conference rooms.

I really hope Satoru Iwata gets caught fucking a baby because that company needs new management, fast. Every time I fire up my N64 I'm reminded of just how shitty Nintendo is now.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 26 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Nintendo sucks so bad 486DX2 would sacrifice the innocence of a child.

What about Sony and Microsoft? Let's just focus on your thoughts on the PS4 and the Xbox 720.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 26 April 2013 - 04:00 PM

The PS4 looks like a great unit. And Microsoft will still sell XBox's even with used games lockout, because of the goyim.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 26 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

User is offline   thatguy 

I think once again, PS4 will have some pretty spectacular exclusives, but who knows, I'm really looking forward to seeing some of the new Xbox games. In the end, I'll get both as I prefer thinking about the games and not what side i'm on.

Its interesting that both consoles will share very similar chipsets. Interested in what graphics card the new Xbox will use though.

Honestly, i'm just excited the games will finally have antialiasing. Thats the best way to have the games feel right without looking like just a console game.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 26 April 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

Honestly, i'm just excited the games will finally have antialiasing.

Isn't it better to have bigger resolution than AA?

It's up to Xbox720 to deliver on May the 21st. The PS4 looks solid, but when competing with my multipurpose desktop machine it falls short on performance and controls. The fact that I'm not a fan of any current PS franchise doesn't help. On top of all, I was not impressed by the PS4 Unreal Engine 4 Elemental demo, it looked vastly inferior to the PC. So again - no valid reason to invest in the device.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I think I'm going to skip this console generation. I never ended up playing any of the games very much from the last generation and all the games that I liked that were exclusive are now coming to pc. I don't like the continuing trend of limitations and drm. So screw this console generation.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 April 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

I don't like the continuing trend of limitations and drm. So screw this console generation.

Please explain. PS4 will allow you to play completely offline.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Even with a "bigger resolution" antialiasing makes a lot of difference. Just raising the resolution isn't a substitute. Even in resolutions beyond 1080p aliasing happens.

User is offline   Kathy 

Either way, I'm not holding my breath for 60fps being the default case for most games. Which is more of an issue, I think. 1080p@60 should be the standard.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I was interested in the innovations in the WiiU but I get the feeling that Nintendo is not going to do very well in the "hardcore" market. I'm not sure they care that much though.

I am interested in seeing how Microsoft integrates the new xbox with all their other devices (Windows Phones, Surface, even the desktop). They are going that route and people who take advantage of Microsoft devices have a lot of tools and features others don't. Of course, a lot of people don't care that much about those features and tools, but they are there for those who know.

Sony is still hoping Blu-Ray takes off. Although I did hear that the PS4 is basically a computer instead of some proprietary shit they had last time. Who knows.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMr.Flibble, on 27 April 2013 - 09:17 AM, said:

Sony is still hoping Blu-Ray takes off.

Huh? Blu-ray did take off. But I don't see how it is relevant to this topic.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostCathy, on 27 April 2013 - 06:40 AM, said:

Please explain. PS4 will allow you to play completely offline.

I heard that it won't play PS3 games nor any of the downloaded games for PS3 from the PS Store. Or was that XBox? Probably both. Either way, I'm just tired of consoles. I don't want to support them anymore. For one, they slow down the advancement of game development quality with console ports of PC games (which have to limit the quality of their assets). Also, I just never have time to play them. And a game controller will never be as good as a keyboard and mouse most of the time. When it is, I'll plug one in my PC.

Might get the Wii U for the next Zelda game. That's about it. Still just tired of the whole console scene.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

That's right. The PS4 will not play PS3 games. That's because Cell emulation is not feasable with the PS4's AMD x86 processor especially at the rate they have it clocked at (either 1.6 or according to rumors 2GHz). That's why they bought gaikai... so they can stream all those old games to the PS4.

I will definitely get the PS4. Let's look at the alternatives:
- Wii U = underpowered, overpriced 7th generation console released 7 years too late
- Xbox 720 = will be a "trusted" platform, in that you will have to trust that IP owners won't prevent you from playing games you legitimately bought

PS4 will have decent raw hardware power and will not force you to be online whenever you want to play a game, and that's all that matters.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostAltered Reality, on 28 April 2013 - 07:57 AM, said:

I will definitely get the PS4. Let's look at the alternatives:
- Wii U = underpowered, overpriced 7th generation console released 7 years too late
- Xbox 720 = will be a "trusted" platform, in that you will have to trust that IP owners won't prevent you from playing games you legitimately bought

- PC

PS4 will have decent raw hardware power and will not force you to be online whenever you want to play a game, and that's all that matters.

It's only a rumour that Xbox will be always-online. Although a strong one, I give you that.

View PostCathy, on 28 April 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

- PC

I did not include the PC because I was only comparing consoles, and the presence of a PC in a gamer's home is always a given.

THere is no reason for Always-Online unless you are streaming a game.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 28 April 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

I know that. You know that. But it appears that Adam Orth doesn't.

User is offline   Kathy 

He also doesn't work at MS anymore because of that.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 28 April 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Always-online never was about features but about control.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 28 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostCathy, on 28 April 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

He also doesn't work at MS anymore because of that.

Link?

Edit: I found that myself.
http://venturebeat.c...the-jobseekers/
I bet that he was convinced to resign, not for insulting fans, but for blabbering about Microsoft's plans.

This post has been edited by Altered Reality: 28 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

Plans or not, when company haven't revealed anything about console he sure did fuel that rumour that was going around.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

I will be getting neither. Both Sony and Microsoft are planning on making it impossible to play used games, because there are tons of idiots who will buy those systems out of loyalty. That's the real reason nobody is developing for the Wii U. It has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with the other systems' ability to "force" higher sales numbers onto console owners.

This post has been edited by Alan: 29 April 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostAlan, on 29 April 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

I will be getting neither. Both Sony and Microsoft are planning on making it impossible to play used games, because there are tons of idiots who will buy those systems out of loyalty. That's the real reason nobody is developing for the Wii U. It has nothing to do with performance and everything to do with the other systems' ability to "force" higher sales numbers onto console owners.

Steam has proven that Used Games is a BS scheme for ignorant people. Used games work for the current generation, but not when a console generation will be taking a giant leap to Digital Distribution like the PC. Look at steam, it has more discounts than any console ever and it is capable of discounts a week or so after on even good games. Used Games is a dumb flaw for 'Physical' games. Ownership is overrated.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Used games provide a form of competition against getting new games. Plus if I buy a physical copy of the game I should be able to sell it. And ownership isn't overrated. Electronics have a tendency to fail on me, and it's been nice having my music CDs to fall back on whenever my MP3 player has failed on me. Besides, not everyone lives in an area with an unlimited broadband connection.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 29 April 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Steam has proven that Used Games is a BS scheme for ignorant people. Used games work for the current generation, but not when a console generation will be taking a giant leap to Digital Distribution like the PC. Look at steam, it has more discounts than any console ever and it is capable of discounts a week or so after on even good games. Used Games is a dumb flaw for 'Physical' games. Ownership is overrated.

Siding with the industry every time isn't going to automatically make you a successful game developer.

User is offline   Sangman 

Steam has proven that Used Games is a BS scheme for ignorant people.

Well, that's a bit silly.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 29 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Look, I'm just gonna go ahead and say what everyone is thinking. You really are a tremendous faggot.

Your past resume includes companies who worked on games such as "Pug Run," "Despicable Me," and "My Baby Einstein."

Are you really that much of a failure or are you a straight up pedophile? You couldn't even hold a job at those places.

You've never done so much as collect classic games, discuss the 90's, or configure a SET BLASTER variable.

There's the fucking door, don't let it hit you in the cunt on the way out.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 29 April 2013 - 08:12 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options