Duke4.net Forums: Mortal Kombat 9 officially announced for PC! - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mortal Kombat 9 officially announced for PC!

The rummours of it coming to PC have been sparked some time ago last year and after a pause they have started coming more and more frequently from various sources.
At this point it pretty much looks like it's going to come on pc on Steam.
Here's the steamdb site showing that the unamed steam app has had achievements added to it, achievements that all look like mk9 achievements.
http://steamdb.info/...0/#section_info

Then there was this article
http://www.dsogaming...ed-last-friday/
Then this
http://btgames.co.za...info.asp?A14565
This too
http://www.pcgamer.c...t-steam-rumors/
And today Ed Boon(the guy that made MK) had this to say on twitter.

Posted Image
https://twitter.com/...023456666214401

So if you are a fan of Mk in general, or if you are an authentic pc gamer like me that hasn't bought a filthy console in at least 15 years, and the last mk you played on pc was MK4, then prepare to make the jump straight to MK9 very soon.
I played all the playstation 2 mortal kombat games with the PCSX2 emulator and they play and look much better than on the actual PS2 itself, considering that I can render them at full hd res with Antialiasing.
You may want to give them a go if your pc is decent to run the ps2 emulator.

UPDATE:

So it has finally been fucking announced officially for June 3 after 2 fucking long doubtful years since it has been released for the consoles.
http://www.gamespot....-summer-6408715
http://news.cision.c...for-pc,c9417819

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 22 May 2013 - 08:58 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

At least it won't get banned in Australia now... I hope anyway.

The last Mortal Kombat game I played on PC was Mortal Kombat Armageddon, emulated with Dolphin (high resolution and stereoscopy FTW!) and sure as hell I won't buy this, because I already played the hell out of it on PS3 (in stereoscopy too), which also has the advantage of not requiring Steam to work.
I would much rather have a stereoscopic version of Injustice (even though they pussied out of showing Superman kill the Joker) than a rerelease of a game I already have.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Sweet! Loved the new MK.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Not everyone has MK9 though especially those who don't play consoles and don't want to get them either but would like to play MK. Still I would like official confirmation from WB even though it seems a foregone conclusion at this point.

Also, Injustice on PC would be good too. But who knows, there may be a two year wait for that game too. :)

BTW, I played MK 5-7 via Dolphin as well. Made me realize I didn't miss much with those games. I didn't like the 3D direction they took those games in and the faces of the models looked terrible as well as the costumes.

User is offline   supergoofy 

I cannot afford to have both a console and a gaming pc. Thus I only play on a somewhat gaming pc. Instead of buying a console, I preferred to upgrade my pc and I haven't regret it.

And I have also played in the past few PS2 and Wii games on pc, by using emulators. I even tried genesis and snes emulation.

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 20 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I have been wanting a new MK game to play. I'm not about to buy a console for the sole purpose of playing Mortal Kombat. However, I will consider buying this for my computer.

When I get a job, I might consider picking up the old games for nostalgia reasons. They are on Steam.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Just gotta say, for the older MK games, (1, 2, 3 and UMK3) MAME is better than SNES or Genesis emulation. The ports for those systems pale in comparison to the original arcade versions.

MK Arcade Kollection on Steam is OK and it probably has easier to use multplayer than MAME. However it's not as accurate as it... it seems. Bugs and shoddy porting have always plagued that edition.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 20 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

• I have the power!

It is good to have that information in mind. I do wonder how multiplayer works and, for example, how one plays a friend in the same room. Mortal Kombat is fun on its own, but the real fun is beating your older brother while he sits next to you.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Well, it should retain the local multiplayer pretty easy and nowadays it's easier than ever to hook up a second controller or fight stick to the same machine and if necessary hook it up to a big screen if playing on a smaller PC monitor is too cramped for the players.

The days of one player stuck using the keyboard while one uses a gamepad or both sharing a keyboard are of the past.

BTW, AFAIK MKAK uses GFWL. For better or worse.

Local multiplayer with MAME is also easy. Just setup a second controller in MAME... up to how many a particular game supports.

Personally, I've had my fill of that sort of thing from all my years playing local multiplayer in the 90's both with the SNES versions and at the arcade.

Online play has always been a non-starter for me because of how exploit prone fighting games tend to be online.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 20 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

• I have the power!

The only reason I'd do online would be to play my brothers again. We don't live in the same area anymore. Of course, one of my brothers doesn't even own a personal computer (just his work computer and a Droid phone).

I'll have to add it to my list of things to look into once I'm employed. I have a growing list of things to spend new income on.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

There's also the DOS ports. That doesn't help with online multiplay, though.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

At one time they where the best versions to get. However, the DOS ports have less colors than either emulation (yes, the arcade games had more colors than the DOS versions had) or MKAK and also have control limitations that where traditionally associated with fighting games on the PC. Especially MKII on the PC since they made it with keyboard that have the number of keys you can press together in mind limited and or the original gravis gamepad that only had 4 buttons so they changed some of the moves... and you could only use one of them on a computer at a time... one controller.. one keyboard.

MK1 in the MK Duo pack for DOS wasn't too bad and was the closest to the arcade before the alternatives. MK Duo was the first two DOS games on one CD-ROM with improved .wav based music for the first game that installed to the hard drive... it was like one of the first music packs. For some reason they didn't improve the music in MKII in the MK Duo pack. The music tracks don't match the original arcade hardware using MIDI music. MKII for the arcade used one of the first digital compression systems for music..... but none of the home versions of the time used those tracks. MK3 for DOS, MKT and MK4 for Windows had CD Music tracks but no support for ripping them to your hard drive and playing them off of there.

Fan favorite, UMK3 never came out for DOS and MK Trilogy (all three original games in one) came out for Windows.

Still I recommend MAME over those. From a technical standpoint. I'd even sooner recommend the MKAK over them at this point if you want to be entirely legit. The only benefit of the DOS versions was being fully playable on sub 300MHz Pentium II CPUs. MAME is more accurate and has more colors but had a sweet spot of a Pentium III or more to get solid 60FPS gameplay. But that's not really a problem today... (the same could be said for MKAK, it uses a type of emulation)... as soon as computers got fast enough to emulate those games in MAME the DOS versions where obsolete.

From best to worst in how close they are to the original arcade version I'd rank them..

1) MAME
2) MKAK
3) MK Trilogy Windows
4) MK1 in MK Duo pack
5) Older DOS Versions
6) SNES and Genesis version

I deliberately left out 32-bit or newer console versions because I only played on 16-bit consoles or PC and this subject was about PC. But most ports have bugs or differences from what I've read over the years. I've yet to hear about a port that faithfully replicates what one can get in MAME to the letter including MKAK. Differences and bugs always creep in.

Still, at one time I used to play MK1 from the MK Duo pack quite a bit. When I was forced to use the keyboard I used arrow keys and number pad simulating the original quincunx arcade button layout.

Posted Image

So on the number pad 1 would be High Punch, 3 High Kick, 5, block, 7 Low Punch, and 9 Low Kick.. then if you are playing MK3.... 0 or perhaps enter next to the number pad could be used for Run. MK doesn't use any rolling motions for the moves unlike Street Fighter. So while a fight stick is more ideal or if you are more used to it, a gamepad. A keyboard actually isn't half bad for Mortal Kombat.

Later on there was the Gravis Gamepad Pro (aka gravis grip) which had PSX style gamepads that worked in DOS that coud be daisy chained to the sound card but it came out too late for MK1-3 to support it and they where never patched and by the time MKT or MK4 came out the PC world had already moved onto Windows and DirectX. The only DOS game I played with Gravis Grip support was WWF Wrestlemania by Midway which was sort of like wrestling crossed with Mortal Kombat. Speaking of that however I heard Dosbox does not feature grip support. Only the standard gameport emulation which is 4 axis 4 buttons total. max.

If you want to play it with a controller (gamepads, fightsticks) you could probably use keyboard emulation to work around their lack of two player support for two controllers and limited button support due to lack of buttons on PC gamepads at the time in the DOS versions. However, like I noted earlier; you may still run into some of the limitations imposed due to how many keys one could hold together on a standard keyboard when those ports where made for example. Especially if you play MKII DOS with two players. MK games didn't have proper two player controller support on the PC until MK Trilogy.

Anyway, it'd probably be less hassle and a better experience overall to use a newer release or emulator like MKAK or MAME when all is said and done. Especially if controls and playing two players are at all important to you.

It's probably a good idea to buy MKAK anyway to show Warner Bros. there's an interest in MK on the PC.... although like I said earlier it uses GFWL.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 21 April 2013 - 09:19 PM

Oh Christ yes. Some fine news right there.

- Yes, I am a fan
- Yes, the last game I really played a lot was MK4
- Yes, I use the emulators to run HD versions of the PS2 ports
- Just in time for a movie reboot?

And now this. This goes to the top of my gaming priorities in Q2 of 2013.

• I have the power!

View Posturaganotkirki, on 27 April 2013 - 05:11 AM, said:

- Just in time for a movie reboot?

So it has finally been fucking announced officially after 2 fucking long doubtful years.
http://www.gamespot....-summer-6408715
http://news.cision.c...for-pc,c9417819

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 18 April 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

... if you are an authentic pc gamer like me that hasn't bought a filthy console in at least 15 years,

Do I still count when I bought both an XBox and a 360 with 3 flagship titles but sold them a few days after because of boredom, how bad playing on your sofa with a controller is and how bad and bland even those top titles are?

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 23 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

• I have the power!

There are certain types of games that have to be played on a controller just because of how the mechanic are set up. I bought the MK Arcade Kollection when it was on sale on Amazon a week ago and I went to play it but realized that the controls are klunky on a keyboard but if I have a controller like I remember, they should be great. I plan on picking up a USB controller just to play Mortal Kombat.
When I play this new MOrtal Kombat, I expect it to feel like the original Sega classics and that means the controls will likely be best on a game pad. I think of the game pad as just like a joystick: it has particular game functions. Side-scrolling fighting games require something more like a game pad than a keyboard. Duke Nukem 1/2 worked on the keyboard because all you had to do was shoot. In Mortal Kombat you have multiple kicks and hits as well as blocking that need to be mapped and putting those on the keyboard are unnatural to me.

"authentic pc gamer" is such a stupid title.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 23 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

View PostMr.Flibble, on 23 May 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

"authentic pc gamer" is such a stupid title.

No it's not stupid it just means that I do not say I'm a pc gamer while also playing on consoles.
When I say I only game on PC, I ONLY GAME ON PC period.
I call it an authentic claim.
There are those that boast themselves being pc gamers that don't like consoles but when you check them out more, you find out that some of them are actually supporting consoles by having at least one or two of them bought.
I would never start supporting consoles in the state they are since at least 15 years...
So authentic pc gamer in my vision, means that I refuse to play on consoles or to support them in any way shape or form.
If the word authentic sounds stupid then replace it with the word "true" or "enthusiast"

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh dear goodness. There are people who play consoles when they say they don't. WHATEVER WILL WE DO? It's soo necessary to have differentiating titles between these two important groups of people!

Why should we care so much?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 May 2013 - 03:35 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 23 May 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

Oh dear goodness. There are people who play consoles when they say they don't. WHATEVER WILL WE DO? It's soo necessary to have differentiating titles between these two important groups of people!

Why should we care so much?

I think the ones that care so much, are the ones that jumped to dissect my wording in a post that I made some months ago...
I am not the one that cares so much but obviously somebody here doesn't like it when some people dare to be against the console only current and dare to claim that they refuse to support console makers by not buying their consoles.
When I said I'm an authentic pc gamer, I did not look around for anybody to crown me as being THE authentic pc gamer of the world or something but somebody surely felt the need to start this debate...
Somebody that probably doesn't like to hear pc gamers being against buying and playing on consoles.
I know lots of people that get their piss to a boil just from reading a sentence of a guy that says consoles are not for him and he only plays pc.
Just that very sentence can bring lots of people's piss to a boil for some immature reason and usually that's precisely why I use sharp words like "authentic pc gamer" to describe myself, because I know it annoys some immature people.
I think it's an unintentional troll that I am causing to the weak minded people that get annoyed at the simple thing of me calling myself a pc gamer that refuses to buy consoles for various stated or unstated reasons.
Personally, I would much rater see people being hyped about mk finally coming to pc but I see wording in some of my older posts is a more important subject.
I personally don't give a rat's ass if somebody plays on consoles or not because it doesn't interest me what other random people play their games on.

I am also getting the feeling that every time a console exclusive game that managed to remain exclusive for at least 2 years suddenly gets announced for pc, lots of frustrated console fanboys start to object and snicker as if somehow their consoles have become a bit less valuable now that pc gamers have one more of their former exclusive games.
The act of getting a former console exclusive game or series expanded onto PC, apparently makes some elitist console fanboys feel like their console is no longer as cool as it was back when pc gamers couldn't have access to one of their exclusive games.

It's not like mk9 will start being on pc and stop existing on consoles from now on. If that would have been possible and it would have been the case, I would perfectly understand why some people would rage, I would too.

Anyway, now I just hope MK9 is properly ported for pc and not some half assed rushed port.
I've seen some people hoping that this port is going to have higher res textures or better graphics in all departments which is pretty silly to expect from a third party studio that was assigned to port the game by the NetherRealm guys that openly hate PC gaming.
NetherRealm made Mk9 on unreal engine 3 just for consoles and they would have kept it there forever if it wouldn't have been for their money hungry publisher Warner Brothers that wanted a new batch of cash from pc gamers too.
Luckely, money hungry publishers can sometimes (in extremely rare cases like this one) make pc gamers happy for getting a console exclusive on pc too.
If the game is well ported, I will personally buy it in hopes that I will contribute to bigger sales and a reason for further netherealms games to come to pc, like injustice or the future mk10.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 23 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Sorry. I was having a bad day. I don't usually make posts like that. Wasn't intending to start a debate or troll or anything silly like that. Seemed like you cared an awful lot. I was just wondering why and my bad day seeped into it a bit (that is, a lot).

I really could care less. Move along. Move along.

• I have the power!

View PostMr.Deviance, on 23 May 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

No it's not stupid it just means that I do not say I'm a pc gamer while also playing on consoles.

"Authentic" means that you are actually one. An Authentic PC Gamer would be someone who does play PC games rather than someone who claims to play them but does not play them. You should invest in a dictionary. You are an authentic troll and snob.

View PostMr.Flibble, on 24 May 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

"Authentic" means that you are actually one. An Authentic PC Gamer would be someone who does play PC games rather than someone who claims to play them but does not play them. You should invest in a dictionary. You are an authentic troll and snob.

And where did you get the idea that I just claim that I play PC games when in fact I don't?
Did I say that I don't play games?
I do play PC games and I don't just claim that I do.
I don't know what the fuck are you on about but you are talking out of your ass right now.
If you are just assuming that I don't, then your are obviously under the impression that you know shit about my everyday life.
If you think you know so much about me, maybe you would also like to tell me what else I do or don't do in my real everyday life.
Being pretentious doesn't make me a snob and because I know how to annoy various categories of people doesn't make me an authentic troll.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 25 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

I'm an authentic PC Gamer, but I am also authentic 360 gamer and authentic PS3/PS2 gamer.

View PostCathy, on 25 May 2013 - 12:37 AM, said:

I'm an authentic PC Gamer, but I am also authentic 360 gamer and authentic PS3/PS2 gamer.

Watch out what you say about yourself or Mr.Flibble might tell you that you aren't an authentic gamer because he apparently knows what you do in your private everyday life.

User is offline   Kathy 

He most likely meant 'an authentic pc gamer' only had to do with whether or not you play games on pc. If you play console games that wouldn't make you unauthentic pc gamer.

• I have the power!

^What he said. That is the definition of "authentic"

Mr. Deviance seems to think that "authentic" and "exclusive" are the same thing.

Edit:
Mortal Kombat is about 10,000x more awesome (and playable) with a gamepad than with the keyboard. I tried playing with a keyboard and I got my ass handed to me. I play with a new gamepad and I kick the shit out of Sub Zero. So, yeah, I bought 2 gamepads (cheap ones from Radio Shack, but whatever) just to play Mortal Kombat on my computer with a friend. I hope that when this new one is available I am able to get it working with the gamepads. Should be hella fun.

This post has been edited by Mr.Flibble: 25 May 2013 - 03:14 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Gamepads certainly have their place. I can't play the Arkham games without one. Mortal Kombat for sure.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

For Arkham Asylum I would agree that gamepads are the best.. however... for Mortal Kombat I would say a fighting stick is better if you can afford one.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options