Duke4.net Forums: Exporting Duke Nukem Models and Animations - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Exporting Duke Nukem Models and Animations

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

I've been bored and I figured I'd try to learn something new. Now, I'm not a 3D modeler, I just don't understand any of the concepts other than the fact that they're made up of polygons, vertexes, and stuff. I've managed to export some models from DNF using Noesis. But it seems like the animations are split into .anm files. Again, not knowing how animations work, I have no clue what to make of these files.

What I want right now is to figure out just how to view the animations. Ultimately I want to be able to mess around with it in an engine like Unity or UDK to learn more about how it works, and how to use the model's animations. Anybody have any tips or advice?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The .anm's are literally just a series of .pcx images that play in a sequence like a video file. There's no 3D animation or model data in them. Just pixels.

That'd make my job a lot easier of recreating the 'Jones Duke Nukem 3D character model accurately. (There's actually two, but i'm referring to the one used for the sprite/intermission/battlelord)

Posted Image

There is a program called anim2pcx (scroll down until you see it) which can be used to convert the .anm files into their original PCX form though. I used it convert the cinematics into .gifs:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 16 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Where is the image from the Duke upright with the Battlelord on his side?

• Judge Mental

Fox, on 16 April 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Where is the image from the Duke upright with the Battlelord on his side?

http://forums.duke4....-master-stills/

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

I'm aware of what they are for Duke3D, but I figured that anm files would be different for something else such as DNF. Noesis just exports a model as a skeletal mesh with no animation, but say I export the Duke model, it has a bunch of anm files that come with it. I wonder what they are if they have nothing to do with the model. How would one open such a file? Eh that's off track, how does one even export a model with animation in Noesis for Duke Nukem Forever?

Edit:

I actually think I was right the first time. The Duke Nukem Forever .anm files are special animation files. If I edit them in notepad I notice some of them have some XML code in them for different events.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 16 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

• Judge Mental

Spirrwell, on 16 April 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

I'm aware of what they are for Duke3D, but I figured that anm files would be different for something else such as DNF. Noesis just exports a model as a skeletal mesh with no animation, but say I export the Duke model, it has a bunch of anm files that come with it. I wonder what they are if they have nothing to do with the model. How would one open such a file? Eh that's off track, how does one even export a model with animation in Noesis for Duke Nukem Forever?

Edit:

I actually think I was right the first time. The Duke Nukem Forever .anm files are special animation files. If I edit them in notepad I notice some of them have some XML code in them for different events.

Ah, my mistake. I wasn't aware of the animation format for Duke Forever. Yeah, it could be just a slightly tweaked version of the Unreal animation format, whatever that is.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'm sorry for bumping this thread.

I was wondering if anyone had sucess adding textures to the assault commander on noesis? I have directed noesis to the megapackage.dat but it still loads the model without textures.... ;)

User is offline   Mark 

Davox, check your PM.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options