Duke4.net Forums: DNF E3 2001 Trailer Redone in Duke3D - Duke4.net Forums

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

DNF E3 2001 Trailer Redone in Duke3D

User is offline   Kathy 

Bloody brilliant!

All hail Gambini, Mikko and everyone involved.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 02 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

User is offline   Jinroh 

When talented people don't screw around. :) Always bet on Duke. :P

User is offline   Gambini 

It only takes to be a super awesome utra natural man to lead such project!

Oh wait that´s our trailer :)

User is offline   Ronin 

Very good gents, very good.

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

It's a bloody good and very well done trailer, as I have said. Well done guys, I enjoyed it.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

That's the coolest fan trailer I've ever seen! Excellent job.

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Anyhow is this going to be released or is it meant for something else?

This post has been edited by darkcaleb: 02 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

User is offline   TON 

View Postdarkcaleb, on 02 April 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Anyhow is this going to be released or is it meant for something else?

When it's done :)

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Pretty awesome trailer

View PostTON, on 02 April 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

When it's done :)

I like rhymes: When it´s done? When it´s done? before the month is gone.

User is offline   uh . . . . 

I think this will be totally awesome, but I agree with Devil Master on the Youtube page, why not use polymer? If it's because you guys want to focus on the other aspects more then that's understandable, but I think it would definitely be fitting and look nicer.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postuh . . . ., on 02 April 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

I think this will be totally awesome, but I agree with Devil Master on the Youtube page, why not use polymer? If it's because you guys want to focus on the other aspects more then that's understandable, but I think it would definitely be fitting and look nicer.

Now as Duke4.net's no. 1 polymer salesman, let me explain several reasons why NOT to use polymer and 3D models for something like this, in no particular order.
For 8-bit art:

• It's much easier and faster to create 8-bit sprites instead of detailed 3D models, making the workload much smaller which gives the authors more motivation to complete the episode (and we don't have to wait so long to play it).
  • 8-bit art has it's own charm that can't be replicated with 3D models very well, especially high quality 8-bit art, which is what they're using based on the trailers.

For Polymer:
  • Polymer is unfinished. It doesn't support some features like multiple skies amongst other things.
  • It has a relatively short draw distance. From what we're told, some of the levels are HUGE, and it would be incredibly ugly and immersion-breaking to see giant chunks of it appear and disappear as you look and move around.
  • Polymer is unoptimised. Large levels lag horribly, even when using 8-bit art. Now if you can imagine the only reason to use polymer is of course the polymer lights. If the level is already lagging, imagine how bloody slow it would be if they placed dynamic lights all over the giant outdoor or even indoor areas. It's just not possible to have a playable framerate.

If you want polymer lights, we already have Duke Nukem Eternity, which got away with polymer because DanM designed the levels with polymer in mind, using smaller, enclosed spaces as much as possible, and even that was unplayable for 90% of computers with all the lights. Plus, DNE was a DNF inspired mod, which designed levels and gameplay around what we'd expect in a Duke 3D sequel, using 1 or 2 areas from the trailers occasionally. What Mikko and Gambini seem to have done is pretty much recreate DNF and many of its locations as closely as possible in build (or at least as close as they could given the 6-month development time).

As a result DNF 2013 has a much closer DNF feel, which makes it very cool. So if you want the feel, play DNF 2013, but if you want the graphics, play DNE.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I don't mind HRP models but If the game lags/delay/bugged on the polymer and showed out in the the trailer movie, that would be so shitty as hell and ruined whole idea... :)

User is offline   Malgon 

Haha! Just finished watching it and it rocked! Well done guys. :)

User is offline   Night Wolf 

That's pretty fukn impressive! Great work guys.
8bit is where it's at..

I'm curious, will you guys make some replacement weapon sprites, like a new shotgun?

I would really love one with the shoulder strap and the recoil of the 2001 shotty

User is offline   Loke 

Hah, Joe just commented on the video. :)

Hah! :) :)

Awesome idea. :P

• Honored Donor

View PostLoke, on 03 April 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Hah, Joe just commented on the video. :)

For those having trouble finding it, this is what he said:

That's pretty funny.  As someone who was there for all of DNF's development, this made me laugh. The 2001 Trailer is to me still the coolest one ever released.

Thanks to everybody.

Micky: your post is pretty accurate but this is something i disagree:

1.It's much easier and faster to create 8-bit sprites instead of detailed 3D models, making the workload much smaller which gives the authors more motivation to complete the episode (and we don't have to wait so long to play it).

I can make good quality models in the same or even less time than some of those sprites i did. I just like them to be sprites.

And the reasons of why not polymer are much simpler: It offers things we don´t really need, as lights and shaders and does not offer some things we do need: as performance and viewable distance.

And, personally, everything I did for this mod was with Software mode in mind, the trailer is recorded in polymost because performance reasons. The mod looks quite good in polymost, and Mikko´s stuff has been done with it in mind. We agreed on doing something that looks as better as possible both ways.

• Honored Donor

Ah ok.

I also wanted to say "To take full advantage of polymer lights, it's better to design maps for lights from the beginning rather than add them in after the map is finished" which ultimately won't be as good. As another reason for not using polymer at this stage.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Friggin awesome!!

User is offline   Psyrgery 

Words cannot describe how awesome this is.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I know I'm gonna play Captain Obvious here, but guys. This. Is. AWESOME

Thanks! :)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Awesomeness is our Game.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

O_O Is that a fully ride-able motorcycle?

Loving the work. Can't wait to play it. But yeah, I would hope that some of the first person sprites would get an update to look like DNF's at the time for a more engaging experience. It's awesome nonetheless.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostSpirrwell, on 04 April 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

O_O Is that a fully ride-able motorcycle?

Yes, but we decided to replace it with a girls' bicycle (with training wheels), because Gambini felt that motorcycles are "faggy".

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Is that motorcycle image from Full Throttle?

No. Ben would not lend his Corley to anyone. Duke has his own Harley anyway.

Will there be a handbrake key that lets you turn and do that cool stop/turn from the '01 trailer?

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 04 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options