Duke4.net Forums: DNF E3 2001 Trailer Redone in Duke3D - Duke4.net Forums

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

DNF E3 2001 Trailer Redone in Duke3D

User is offline   Gambini 

If the mod were going to use models, then all maps and stuff should have been made to use them. Geometry is optimal for what it is: sprites, sector shading, etc. Models have no businnes on this mod. And just as a thought: I´d love to make a 1=1 representation of the 2001 trailer in a game, but I honestly would not use Eduke32 for that, which would inmediatelly put the project on the illegality.

View PostGambini, on 16 April 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

I... SAID... NO... FUCKIN.... H R P!!!!!!!

Okay..... Chill..... I was gonna add a suggestion on this. Besides, I kinda remembered too that Half-life Source was released - but people were complaining that the map design (including the models) were the same. When re-releasing the game, people would want to see visual and gameplay change - so there were a few developers who released Black Mesa Source (with all of the voice work re-done). Anyways, it would be nice too - if one day the actual 2001 build was called "Duke Nukem 4" (instead of forever if developers were developing a new Duke game)

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I would never bother with HRP, but even untested COOP support would be great, just slap player start sprites in and it's good to go.

Nah but it would be interesting to, say, save one skill setting for coop only, and play with switches and other shit like items to turn it into a slightly different experience (like half life decay, with small team puzzles). It would be also a lot of fun to have two bikes!

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Duke Nukem Racing.

That would actually be pretty fun.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostBloodshot, on 16 April 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Duke Nukem Racing.

That would actually be pretty fun.

There was a project some years ago called DukeCart.

I wonder if that will ever get picked up when the multiplayer is functioning.

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 16 April 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

There was a project some years ago called DukeCart.

I wonder if that will ever get picked up when the multiplayer is functioning.

Haha, I was thinking of a HRP - racing mod with models, Polymer, etc. by myself a few days ago. If the multyplayer is working one day, this would be a project I´d like to see/make.

But to stay on topic: I can´t wait for the release of this. Although I became a HRP, models, polymer - fan over the years, I´m glad to see this going to be released in classic style. Hopefully the mod gets released soon.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

so the 15th, then the 19th, now the 26th
hilarious

are the delays due to changes for implementation of the latest and greatest engine technologies? The HRP and polymer fanboys will be happy to hear that.
how DNF

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

No, but I'm happy to announce that health regen has been implemented.

The problem is that, as Mikko said at Moddb, we never had a release date. I tried to give an estimation, but that day came flying. We don´t know if it will be released on april 26 or later (or earlier). What I can assure is that this cake is done, we´re just carefully putting cherry and confetti around its borders.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Seriously? Come on guys, I'm running out of holidays fast.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 19 April 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Hahahaha! Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

I hope you're joking. What next, 2 weapons limit and QTE fist fights?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 20 April 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

I know this is a joke, but I can imagine that regen health could work if done well, i.e you can still take a reasonable amount of damage before going down. But in almost all cases health packs will provide more fun and challenge.

The AMC TC already has achievements and a QTE or two so it's possible Posted Image

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMetHy, on 20 April 2013 - 12:54 AM, said:

Yeah I already replaced the boss fight with a QTE. Your weapons are automatically disabled when the boss appears and once he gets close to you, you get a "smash use to win" (in BIG letters) message.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 20 April 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

Yeah I already replaced the boss fight with a QTE. Your weapons are automatically disabled when the boss appears and once he gets close to you, you get a "smash use to win" (in BIG letters) message.

After these posts, I'm now convinced that the entire thing is just an April fool joke and there is nothing there except what we saw in the trailer. The "delays" (which, by the way, I was expecting) are just an excuse to lead people around without making them realize that the mod does not exist at all.

This post has been edited by Devil Master: 20 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostDevil Master, on 20 April 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

After these posts, I'm now convinced that the entire thing is just an April fool joke and there is nothing there except what we saw in the trailer. The "delays" (which, by the way, I was expecting) are just an excuse to lead people around without making them realize that the mod does not exist at all.

Yeah you'd think that if you haven't "known" Mikko for over 10 years. Or if you're somehow not good at detecting sarcasm altogether.

View PostSangman, on 20 April 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

Yeah you'd think that if you haven't "known" Mikko for over 10 years. Or if you're somehow not good at detecting sarcasm altogether.

I assure you that I am fully capable to detect sarcasm in those two posts: you will notice that my reply to them completely lacks an accusation of implementing health regen or QTEs. What I am now suspecting is that the whole "we are releasing this Duke3D mod based on what DNF was supposed to be" affair is sarcasm too.

This post has been edited by Devil Master: 20 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

View PostDevil Master, on 20 April 2013 - 02:24 AM, said:

This is an example of the attitude feel at Moddb too. Many people have come to complain of why we´re "delaying" it. As if we owed something to anybody. I wasted some time replying this kind of message but from now on, I´ll let our work speak by us.

View PostGambini, on 20 April 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

This is an example of the attitude feel at Moddb too.

And I can't say I disagree with that. An explosive announcement on April 1 already smells pretty fishy (French and Italian readers will see what I did there), but if that is followed by obviously sarcastic comments like "we implemented health regen" and "we replaced boss fights with QTEs" you can't blame people for thinking it's a hoax. Waiting for DNF for 14 years burned people pretty badly regarding hype. Personally, I never get hyped up for any game anymore until after I started playing it.

Many people have come to complain of why we´re "delaying" it. As if we owed something to anybody.

Those missed release dates didn't post themselves, did they? :)

I wasted some time replying this kind of message but from now on, I´ll let our work speak by us.

That's what I always do whenever I develop any software (except, of course, if it's software I've been commissioned to make): I don't talk about it at all until it's done. If you check out my site at http://devilmaster.altervista.org/ you will see that I have released several works, but I never started hyping them before they were done. I had started hyping one of them before it was released, but at that point, it was already done. I posted about it in the appropriate forum, people started talking about it and showing their interest in it, and then, before letting pessimism kick in, I released it (without ever mentioning a release date).

This post has been edited by Devil Master: 20 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostDevil Master, on 20 April 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

That's what I always do whenever I develop any software (except, of course, if it's software I've been commissioned to make): I don't talk about it at all until it's done

Well this thing has been basically done since it was announced so I'd say we announced it at the right moment, i.e., a few weeks before in order to generate some hype prior to the release.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 20 April 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

Well this thing has been basically done since it was announced so I'd say we announced it at the right moment, i.e., a few weeks before in order to generate some hype prior to the release.

"Basically" done, meaning there are still tweaks you have to make and you don't know how long it will take. Instead, when I started hyping TADPSID, it wasn't "basically" done: all I wanted to implement in that release was already in, tweaked and polished. I had even already made a zip file of it which I only had to upload to my site, and I never mentioned any release date. And it wasn't "a few weeks" between the announcement and the release, it was 5 days.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostDevil Master, on 20 April 2013 - 07:50 AM, said:

"Basically" done, meaning there are still tweaks you have to make and you don't know how long it will take. Instead, when I started hyping TADPSID, it wasn't "basically" done: all I wanted to implement in that release was already in, tweaked and polished. I had even already made a zip file of it which I only had to upload to my site, and I never mentioned any release date. And it wasn't "a few weeks" between the announcement and the release, it was 5 days.

Well I simply don't agree with you. We wanted to generate a bit of hype a few weeks prior to the release: you didn't. That's your problem. This mod is pretty much the opposite of all those mods that are announced before their author has even begun drawing the first walls. We have everything done so you can drool over the shots and videos while we (well, mostly Gambini since I'm past caring at this point so I mostly just fix some code-related micro issues Gambini complains about) polish the product.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 20 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

is George in charge?

this is so incredibly entertaining

i'd delay it another month "just because"

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I've done a little coding for it and it's certainly no hoax. I think they underestimated how long it would take to finish, but progress has been steady and it's pretty much in releasable form now. There are good delays and bad delays. Bad delays are when people stop working on a project because of RL or they have lost interest, or they are stuck on something or have hit a creative block. Good delays happen because the developers are inspired and keep finding ways to make the release better. The delays for this project have been mostly in the good category, although there has been a bit of RL interference.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

It irritates me to no end when people get pissed at mods for missing release dates.

These are projects that the people are working on for no money in their spare time.

As if they developers owe anyone a damn thing because they made a trailer and ball parked a release date.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 20 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 April 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

The delays for this project have been mostly in the good category, although there has been a bit of RL interference.

Still: This mod has never been delayed.

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 20 April 2013 - 09:04 AM, said:

Still: This mod has never been delayed.

I just realized you're right. After all, none of the mentioned release dates included a year. Well played man, well played. :)

This post has been edited by Devil Master: 20 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 April 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

I've done a little coding for it and it's certainly no hoax. I think they underestimated how long it would take to finish, but progress has been steady and it's pretty much in releasable form now. There are good delays and bad delays. Bad delays are when people stop working on a project because of RL or they have lost interest, or they are stuck on something or have hit a creative block. Good delays happen because the developers are inspired and keep finding ways to make the release better. The delays for this project have been mostly in the good category, although there has been a bit of RL interference.

You were of great help for this project. I was wondered that you didnt show up earlier to celebrate with us :)

You´re fully right that these delays (if we call them that way, as there was indeed not a planned release date) were all for good. We didn´t stop making our work better and better and what initially was a quick project ala Metropolitan Mayhem. It soon warped into a more commited project including many things we didn´t think of doing at a first. During the dev process I never lost interest neither hit a creativity block. It has been a lot of fun working on this and I wish the process lasted longer, but when your bird has grown up, you have to let if fly.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options