Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem U-SDK (unofficial sdk on the way) - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem U-SDK (unofficial sdk on the way)  "Duke Bots and opportunities for modding"

User is offline   lambdist 

Author: agentdark64 (Coder56)

Original thread:
http://forums.gearbo...ad.php?t=262699

Video:

Description:
"A year on from our last demo and it seemed we were dead. Like to say this game will soon be modable and gearbox can't keep it in a closed box for long.

1) LScript which was an application written for other unreal games needs to have a few tweaks to get it to work for DNF. When this is done, "minor" mods could be created. It doesn't deal with unreal variable and function replication so it is limited.

2) There is an inbuilt level editor inside DNF., We have tried getting into this, but so far results in the main game loop running with no windows being setup, but have been able to get it to half load. Perhaps there is missing content.

3) This appears to work in pure multiplayer, I have not tested it with someone else but with me joining the server with the dukebots.

4) It appears to be possible to load single player levels with a few tweaks (etc placing spawn points) in multiplayer without a modification required on the client pcs code and perhaps possible to make a coop."

Previous video:

Description:
"So the Duke Nukem Forever SDK is not released? So that means no MODS right? Wrong! We'll show you some developments in modding that are currently being developed."

This post has been edited by lambdist: 30 March 2013 - 03:32 AM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Hee hee hee! :)

User is offline   Saiyuki234 

Tell the guys on here and the people who are doing this to collaborate and pool resources!! we are going to make an unofficial SDK and DNF deserves it! :)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't get it, they're just doing bots in multiplayer... that's boring and useless. Are they actually working on some kind of level editor, or the ability to do things like replace the regenerating health and weapon systems?

User is offline   Bloodshot 

When you have good bots games can be pretty fun, like the UT series, or the reaper bot for quake.

I doubt they'd be as good as those though.

• Honored Donor

Yeah but who's going to download DNF, and play for weeks on end shooting bots in the small amount of available multiplayer maps, considering all the other games and things to do in real life.

User is offline   uh . . . . 

View PostTrooper Mick, on 30 March 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Yeah but who's going to download DNF, and play for weeks on end shooting bots in the small amount of available multiplayer maps, considering all the other games and things to do in real life.

Me.

Trooper nick, this is pretty impressive. why dont you talk to them and see if you can help em with DukeEd? (dukes enormous tool) :)

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostTrooper Mick, on 30 March 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

I don't get it, they're just doing bots in multiplayer... that's boring and useless. Are they actually working on some kind of level editor, or the ability to do things like replace the regenerating health and weapon systems?

I already asked in the comments and I haven't received a response back yet. Of course even having Duke bots is a huge milestone. I would assume that if there's an editor built in as he claims with Lua support then you can probably do more with it. But I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTrooper Mick, on 30 March 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Me.

View PostSpirrwell, on 30 March 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

I already asked in the comments and I haven't received a response back yet. Of course even having Duke bots is a huge milestone. I would assume that if there's an editor built in as he claims with Lua support then you can probably do more with it. But I don't know, we'll have to wait and see.

there is a Duke nukem forever editor built in. its called DukeEd or "Duke's Enormous Tool". < no im not joking about that. wanna help em out? :)

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

If they can get the editor working I'm going to jump around like an autistic Japanese schoolgirl.

Something tell's me the required files are gone forever though...

This post has been edited by (420){AB}XxXKlannyDannyXxX: 30 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View Post(420){AB}XxXKlannyDannyXxX, on 30 March 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

Something tell's me the required files are gone forever though...

:P :)

• Honored Donor

Duke Nukem without mod tools Forever

View PostSaiyuki234, on 30 March 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Trooper nick, this is pretty impressive. why dont you talk to them and see if you can help em with DukeEd? (dukes enormous tool) :)

It's Trooper Mick.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTrooper Mick, on 30 March 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Duke Nukem without mod tools Forever

[size="2"]

It's Trooper Mick.

He couldn't help it Nicky.

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

Oooh... co-op would be nice. Campaign would be much less boring with a friend.

User is offline   faked 

Boy,I sure hope so!

We should help them get this up and running and do everything in our power to make an unofficial Duke nukem forever SDK! :) if theres one game that deserves an SDK, its DNF!! you guys in? :P

User is offline   Bloodshot 

My bro would love it if some kind of editor existed, as he actually loved the game.

Hell, I wouldn't mind either, I feel DNF could be decent with some good level design.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

It's just not really possible. Some fundamental things were chopped out of the game to keep the editor from loading. Most likely files that can't simply be replaced by psuedo equivalents.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I predict a cease and desist order from Gearbox once this thing gets big. Lambdist, hurry up and hack the in-game editor and have it go haywire on the web, before they can stop you.

this game is 2 YEARS OLD, i highly doubt gearbox would give a shit.

• tile 1018

View PostSaiyuki234, on 31 March 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

this game is 2 YEARS OLD, i highly doubt gearbox would give a shit.

Duke3D is 17 years old, yet people still care about it. Remember Megaton, *cough

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostSpirrwell, on 31 March 2013 - 08:52 PM, said:

Duke3D is 17 years old, yet people still care about it. Remember Megaton, *cough

Do we have to bring that in here too :P Also it's the fans who made an uproar about it :)

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostSpeedy Eggbert, on 31 March 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

I predict a cease and desist order from Gearbox once this thing gets big. Lambdist, hurry up and hack the in-game editor and have it go haywire on the web, before they can stop you.

"You're stealing potential profits from us. It's only okay when we do that to Sega."

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 31 March 2013 - 09:15 PM

• tile 1018

Spirrwell said:

This is amazing. I'm just wondering, to what extent would we be able to mod the game? I mean so far all that we have seen is just the modification to include Dukebots. I know this is a MAJOR milestone. Obviously people would love to see you modifying maps, swapping in-game models, and etc.
I mean that's going to be the major demand. You're doing some great work so far. I hope it all works out for you!

Response:

agentdark64 said:

More likely just code at the moment. The inbuilt level editor is a hard one to crack since half of it "appears" missing. I havn't messed with the models, but I assume that would require a megapackage.dat unpacker.

well i'm interested. I was able to decompile most of the duke forever source but I don't have the skills to do much with it. And my console downgrade project was looking promising, I'd really love to get in contact with these guys sometime if I can help.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options