Duke4.net Forums: If you could add 1 thing from DNF..... - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

If you could add 1 thing from DNF.....

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

To the next Duke game, that was removed from DNF, what would it be?

This I think is a great question, and remember only something that was removed from Duke Nukem Forever, can be your answer. I don't mean something like "the finishing touch" or ragdoll physics, but things like alt firing modes, or Bombshell.

Basically things that you think would benefit the next game, based on how awesome you think they were. I think things Dr. Proton or Duke Clones, clearly can be excluded because of TDWCM.

And no this could not go in the Post Thread. :angry:

This post has been edited by Duel: 20 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDuel, on 20 March 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

And no this could not go in the Post Thread. :angry:

You're right. That's because it wouldn't belong there.

One thing that was excluded from DNF that should be in the next(any) Duke game? Exploration. Genuine exploration. That includes things like secret area's, tricky-to-access nooks and crannies with weapons, items, gear, jokes, etc...

User is offline   Steveeeie 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 20 March 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

You're right. That's because it wouldn't belong there.

One thing that was excluded from DNF that should be in the next(any) Duke game? Exploration. Genuine exploration. That includes things like secret area's, tricky-to-access nooks and crannies with weapons, items, gear, jokes, etc...

I think the problem with DNF having seceret areas was the fact that it had no collectable health, and weapons were everywhere. one of the best parts of the secrets was gathering atomic healths

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Basically everything everyone was complaining about with DNF? Full weapon arsenal, secrets, mod tools, health, exploration, everything everyone's been saying...

User is offline   ReaperMan 

1 thing? Make it more like Duke3D.

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostSteveeeie, on 20 March 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

I think the problem with DNF having seceret areas was the fact that it had no collectable health, and weapons were everywhere. one of the best parts of the secrets was gathering atomic healths

Exactly. My one request would necessitate changing several of core game play mechanics to be something closer to Duke 3D. I wouldn't even mind regen health if it was done in a segmented style. Break the health into four segments. Each segment can regen up to the next, but after that you need a health kit or an ego item to get back more. Enemy kills can restore a few points in the current section. Mix it up a bit.

• Resident Dufus

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 March 2013 - 12:31 PM, said:

Basically everything everyone was complaining about with DNF? Full weapon arsenal, secrets, mod tools, health, exploration, everything everyone's been saying...

Lol :angry: I suppose that's as good a way to answer as any... :D

Narrow it down a bit, what 1 thing specifically, would you add?

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't think I can narrow it down. :angry:

• Resident Dufus

:angry:

This post has been edited by Duel: 20 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Las Vegas at night. First person perspective on vehicles. Nonlinearity. Manual saving. The donkey ride. Interaction with actually-interesting characters. Toned down humor for people above 13.

Apart from that I agree with every post prior this.

oh and that lovely folder named Goodies that came in Duke3d´s CD...

User is offline   Loke 

Dukeditor.

User is offline   Gambini 

It was going to be named DukeEd. And there was even a site (still available on waybackmachine) for it. Made by a random guy and completely based on speculations. Still a cool stop if you´re nostalgic.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 20 March 2013 - 03:44 PM

User is online   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I remember someone building a McDonalds Mock Up on Unreal Ed which was going to be a DNF multiplayer map.

User is online   X-Vector 

Peeking through bulletholes.
Water that does stuff.
"If you can see it, you can use it. If you can't use it, you can break it. If you can't break it, you can blow it up" (paraphrased).

In short: "insane interactivity".

George Broussard said:

Yeah. Duke 3D interactivity x 1000. At least in terms of scope and number of things you can mess with.

Source: http://www.shacknews...anchor_14250739

George Broussard said:

We're keeping a lot of this under wraps, but I can assure you that Duke Nukem Forever will be far, far, far more interactive than Duke Nukem 3D ever thought of. The lengths we are going to will make you ask "how'd they do all that?" Everyone else making a 3D action game is clearly making them 'interactive' now, but we did things in Duke 3D two years ago that people are just now adding. So I think we have a pretty clear idea of where the next leap in interactivity is and how to achieve it. We want people's jaws on the ground when they play Duke Nukem Forever.

Source: PC Game Guide 1999 Annual Computer Games Preview, pages 109-110

User is offline   Hank 

View PostX-Vector, on 21 March 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Source: PC Game Guide 1999 Annual Computer Games Preview, pages 109-110

Yeah, I remember that one.

What I want for the next game is no hype. Surprise us. It's not exactly rocket science to make a good game, just a lot of hard and smart work. Make and finish the game, issue some advert videos and place the game on the market.

@ Duel - yes that also does not answer your question, but man, after 15 years of Duke Forever rumours, I can only post exactly what I come to despise - hype and empty promises. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 21 March 2013 - 04:01 AM

User is offline   Metalwolf 

I don't mind hype, in fact if it makes people excited to buy the game, I'm all for it.
Unfortunately the hype would end up being "It's not going to be as bad as DNF, we promise!"

Which is definitely not a notoriety I would want if I was a game developer.

This post has been edited by Metalwolf: 21 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMetalwolf, on 21 March 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

I don't mind hype, in fact if it makes people excited to buy the game, I'm all for it.
Unfortunately the hype would end up being "It's not going to be as bad as DNF, we promise!"

Which is definitely not a notoriety I would want if I was a game developer.

I've put anyone in hype mode on ignore. Hype == we are not doing anything right now, but this is our lofty goal.

If a game is really good, someone usually does post about it right here in duke4.net under General Games; this game is then on my satisfied customer word of mouth get it list. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 21 March 2013 - 04:32 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Simple.

Valve-style mod tools.

Any and all of the problems listed by Brandon above could be solved by putting the powers of development in the seemingly more capable hands of the players.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 21 March 2013 - 04:43 AM

• Resident Dufus

View PostHank, on 21 March 2013 - 03:58 AM, said:

@ Duel - yes that also does not answer your question, but man, after 15 years of Duke Forever rumours, I can only post exactly what I come to despise - hype and empty promises. Posted Image

Yeah okay, that make sense, :angry: but try to think of one feature that you thought would be epic, and were suprised it didn't make it. Another way to think of it is, what cut feature pissed you off most? :D and then list it.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

View PostDuel, on 21 March 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

Yeah okay, that make sense, :angry: but try to think of one feature that you thought would be epic, and were suprised it didn't make it.

The Jetpack in the campaign.

This post has been edited by ozz: 21 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

User is offline   Saiyuki234 

First person motorcycle & the ability to still shoot. : ) the monster truck never fit duke, motorcycle all the way.

User is offline   LkMax 

Damn I think I'm using the "vote this post" system incorrectly. =P
Anyway I agree with both of the posts above. I think the jetpack was the best item in Duke 3D and the 3 seconds motorcycle scene in the 2001 trailer gave a very good impression.
Also, asking only 1 thing to change from DNF is really unfair. :angry:

PS: One thing nobody seems to remember is the destructible scenario, but I guess it belongs to the "interactivity" territory.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 21 March 2013 - 12:17 PM

• Resident Dufus

View PostLkMax, on 21 March 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

Also, asking only 1 thing to change from DNF is really unfair. :D

Well...... yeah it is. :woot:

No seriously I'd add mod tools, or "Duke's Enormous Tool" as it was called, for the new game if I had to choose. :angry:

This post has been edited by Duel: 22 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostLkMax, on 21 March 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

PS: One thing nobody seems to remember is the destructible scenario, but I guess it belongs to the "interactivity" territory.

Nah, that is all related. You kept some pipe bombs, blew up walls or even rocks, went through the new opening, saw some nice dancing girls and some extra needed health.

[sardonic] Perhaps I am way to old school, and making blow-up-holes is way to complicated with all those modern game engines and/or way over the head of them mappers. Or even a switch that opens up another door somewhere, perhaps to a secret corridor ... [/sardonic]

Yet, Duel asked, so here it is!.
My pet peeve (after mod tools): The maps for Duke 3D worked for hermits like me and based on the weapon/ammo balance made some exiting Death Matches. I would love to see this attention to map detail again. As a hermit I can play the game DNF only once or twice, then I know the drill. Duke 3D took more to get through and you could find short cuts. It took me four times to figure out that I don't really need the Red Key card to finish the first map.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostHank, on 22 March 2013 - 02:12 PM, said:

Nah, that is all related. You kept some pipe bombs, blew up walls or even rocks, went through the new opening, saw some nice dancing girls and some extra needed health.

[sardonic] Perhaps I am way to old school, and making blow-up-holes is way to complicated with all those modern game engines and/or way over the head of them mappers. Or even a switch that opens up another door somewhere, perhaps to a secret corridor ... [/sardonic]

Sad that Red Faction's GeoMod engine never caught on. I would've loved to see more games with destructible environments. Can't find the key card? Fuck it, just blow up the goddamn wall.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostLoke, on 22 March 2013 - 02:43 PM, said:

Sad that Red Faction's GeoMod engine never caught on. I would've loved to see more games with destructible environments. Can't find the key card? Fuck it, just blow up the goddamn wall.

I never heard of GeoMod; if it is what I think it is, is alive and well. Crytek has extensive destructible possibilities, and Unreal can probably match it, and let's not forget my Unity 3D, it also has a new engine for it. So, if you a pro game developer, hey, hire programmers to fine tune the script! And yes, you could blow up an entire building and flush the card, as you wrote. Posted Image So I am not alone in my request! Cheers to that Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 22 March 2013 - 05:17 PM

Mod tools. That is the one thing I would add. If I was allowed to get another request it would be more interactivity.

• Resident Dufus

Answering my own question, (again) I would add the action I saw in the 2001 trailer. :angry:

Yes I know that's breaking my own rules, but hey I'm lazy. :D

In fact talking about the 2001 trailer, that gives me an idea for my next thread.........

This post has been edited by Duel: 25 March 2013 - 02:46 AM

A level editor.
And I want it to be announced the same day it goes gold, so it's not going to become a vaporware legend like DNF. As I wrote many years ago in the 3DRealms forum, WID done right is not "When it's done", but "What is done?" meaning that all of a sudden a software house announces "It's done!" without having announced anything before, so people ask "What is done?" and at that point the new game is revealed.

User is offline   Doomfrost 

The Expander gun, was in Duke 3D, wasn't brought into DNF. Was really let down when I couldn't make my enemies grow and explode.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options