Duke4.net Forums: Constant Wifi disconnects, apparent DHCP problems with new PC - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Constant Wifi disconnects, apparent DHCP problems with new PC

So I have a problem that has been annoying me. My new gaming rig is constantly losing its connection to the my Wifi even though the signal strength is very good. In the Windows 7 event viewer I get two error messages both with the error code 0x79. One of them involves the Wifi adapter not getting an IP address while the other means it is unable to renew its IP address. It is a Trendnet TEW-643PI Wifi adapter. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64. I have tried everything suggested in like the first 20 results on Google, including(including in no particular order):

1. Updating the Wifi adapter driver.
2. Setting a manual IP address.
3. Using Window's Wifi repair guide.
4. Disabling IPv6.
5. Making sure that there is no firewall block.
6. Resetting the IP and Winsock stacks
7. IPConfing /renew and /release.

The router is an Airties Air5452FT but there is nothing helpful to be found in the router settings. The Wifi on the laptop I am writing this from and on my Samsung Galaxy S 2 works just fine. They are in the same room. The Wifi on my mom's laptop also works. Nothing I do makes the least bit of a difference at all.

User is offline   Kathy 

8. Disable power saving.
This is done in two places. In Windows Power Settings there is a specific option regarding WiFi and in Device Manager adaptor's options. It may not resolve the issue, but it won't make it worse.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 07 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

I did that as well. No difference at all.

User is offline   Kathy 

What are the settings on WiFi Router regarding dhcp-server and WiFi availability?
Does your router filter clients based on mac, does dhcp server on your router issue leases based on mac?
How often your gaming rig loses its connection?

What are the settings on WiFi Router regarding dhcp-server and WiFi availability?

I am not quite sure what you are after so I have attached a bunch of jpeg screenshots I took from my router settings. MININT-8SNVJNJ is the PC in question. I obviously deleted my Wifi password, everything else is unedited from my router settings.

Does your router filter clients based on mac, does dhcp server on your router issue leases based on mac?

As far as I can tell no to the former, I don't know about the latter.

How often your gaming rig loses its connection?

It is disconnected the majority of the time even when it listed as being connected. But it can actively disconnect anything from several times a minute up to hours in between. The past couple of days I have went near 24/7 without an internet connection.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: routersettings1.jpg
  • Attached Image: routersettings2.jpg
  • Attached Image: routersettings3.jpg
  • Attached Image: routersettings4.jpg
  • Attached Image: routersettings5.jpg
  • Attached Image: routersettings6.jpg

User is offline   Kathy 

Try increasing lease time at least to 24 hours.

Also, what static ip address did you use? Better to use the one that isn't in the dhcp poll. Although, it shouldn't be a problem, but just to be on a safeside.

And could you copypaste here "ipconfig /all" from the problematic machine?

Cathy, thanks for all the help. I have attached a .txt file with the output from "ipconfig /all", unfortunately my Windows is the Danish version so you may not understand everything. Right when I did the command the connection was up and running only to disconnect within seconds.

Try increasing lease time at least to 24 hours.

I am not sure I know how to do that put I will try poking around the router settings.

Also, what static ip address did you use? Better to use the one that isn't in the dhcp poll. Although, it shouldn't be a problem, but just to be on a safeside.

I don't actually remember which one I chose, but it may have been the 192.168.2.122 address it is currently(preferentially?) getting from the router.

Edit:

So just to be sure I should change the lease time in the attached settings page to 86400 seconds?

Edit2:

I went ahead and did just that right now. I should also add that the Wifi signal is relayed from the basement to this floor via the electrical grid with the use of a Billion Wireless N Homeplug AV 200 system.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: routersettings7.jpg

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 07 March 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

I don't actually remember which one I chose, but it may have been the 192.168.2.122 address it is currently(preferentially?) getting from the router.

I would advise to try static ip address out of scope of dhcp pool. Which means outside of 192.168.2.20-192.168.2.254. For example, try 192.168.2.5 as static.

I went ahead and did just that right now. I should also add that the Wifi signal is relayed from the basement to this floor via the electrical grid with the use of a Billion Wireless N Homeplug AV 200 system.

Can't say I'm familiar with this. Was this computer ever connected via cable to your router? Maybe it's not WiFi related. Of course, I'm not suggesting you to start using it, just interested.

About lease time. What was it before the change? Based on ipconfig it was 6 hours. Yet the default setting for this router is 1 hour(3600 seconds) and, based on your screenshots, it also was 1 hour.

After change of a lease time what ipconfig is showing in "Rettigheden" lines? Of course, with static ip there won't be any lease time.

I think it might be DHCP releated. Try setting statip to 192.168.2.5/255.255.255.0 with getaway and dns as 192.168.2.1.

Btw, based on a manual, you router has lots of log settings and logs. There is a specific log setting for dhcp for example. Might be handy to know what the hell is going on. Whether it's WiFi related or dhcp related. Although, the latter should be resolved with a static ip setting.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 07 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

So I tried a static IP that was out of the scope of the DHCP range. No difference, so I went back to a dynamic IP. I tried changing the router's frequency to 5 Ghz no change(I changed it back as the Wifi adapter doesn't seem to support that at all). I tried re-installing the driver and Wifi utility that made no difference either. While there is an area of the settings of router for logs, I can't see any logs or any way to create or access any logs.

About lease time. What was it before the change? Based on ipconfig it was 6 hours. Yet the default setting for this router is 1 hour(3600 seconds) and, based on your screenshots, it also was 1 hour.

I only know that the router said 3600 seconds and I changed it to 86400 seconds(24 hours). It is still at that. I have attached the newest output from ipconfig /all and ALL the settings pages for the Homeplug system.

Edit:

In the Trendnet utility my Wifi signal is listed as constantly(every few seconds) switching between 0% and 90-something%.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bipacsettings1.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings2.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings3.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings4.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings5.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings6.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings7.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings8.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings9.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings10.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings11.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings12.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings13.jpg
  • Attached Image: bipacsettings14.jpg

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Kathy 

It seems, it's not DHCP related.

Try upgrading router's and homeplug's firmwares. Other than that I don't know what else to do. Can you borrow another WiFi adapter(not Realtek) for you PC and test with it?

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Trendnet, Airties and Homeplug.

I'd rather use a cup and some string.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I have a Trendnet WiFi card that would disconnect completely with no hope of connecting it to the internet after about 3 hours. Funny thing is I would be in a Duke room and we'd still be playing, but my internet browser wouldn't load any websites and even the get-room-list command wouldn't connect to the main server showing my room being hosted. It was so freaking weird.

These disconnections randomly stopped completely a couple months ago for no reason.

This post has been edited by Radar: 08 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostCathy, on 08 March 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

It seems, it's not DHCP related.

Try upgrading router's and homeplug's firmwares. Other than that I don't know what else to do. Can you borrow another WiFi adapter(not Realtek) for you PC and test with it?

Thanks very much for all the help, Cathy.

What makes you think it is not DHCP related? As far the router firmware that is already the newest version. I will try to see if the Homeplug device has newer firmware. Can't really borrow another Wifi adapter.

View Post486DX2, on 08 March 2013 - 08:55 AM, said:

Trendnet, Airties and Homeplug.

I'd rather use a cup and some string.

It is funny you should say that off all the many routers I have had the Airties one is the only one that has really worked. The Homeplug solution was the one to finally get Wifi working on this floor and this was after trying a variety of access point and range extender solutions. While I haven't got much experience with Trendnet, a USB Wifi adapter from them was what finally stabilized the Wifi connection on my moms (Windows Vista) laptop and the same model got Wireless N up and running near flawlessly on my Linux laptop. In fact yesterday I bough a Billion Homeplug passthrough device without Wifi and plugged it in to my gaming rigs lan card and viola now I have a stable, working and fast connection on it. So I guess I have been lucky with those brands. But we don't exactly have a huge selection here. My ISP only provides that one model of Airties router for example. What experiences with these brands have you had or heard about that makes you say that?

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 09 March 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

What makes you think it is not DHCP related?

Because static ip setting also doesn't work. You could try disabling dhcp server on router to completely rule out any suspicion concerning dhcp, but I doubt it's necessary.

Btw, how exactly your PC loses connection? Does WiFi connection simply goes off or it's on, but you can't access anything beyond your computer? (damn, I should have asked that question the first time)

This post has been edited by Cathy: 09 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

I don't know why, but this for some reason reminds me of IRQ conflicts from back in the day. Have you tried it under another operating system? If not, I would test it with a Linux live CD. That's just the kind of thing I would do to find out if the problem is software or hardware. I don't know, if I sound like a moron, don't mind me.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 09 March 2013 - 06:36 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

That's actually a viable test, if Live CD has drivers. At least that would rule out something.

I have another question, Kristian. What is the status of "WLAN AutoConfig Service"(Wlansvc) in Windows? It should be Running/Automatic.

And try eventid.net concerning your event log errors.

Lastly, is you Windows7 up to date?

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

View PostKristian Joensen, on 09 March 2013 - 03:12 AM, said:

It is funny you should say that off all the many routers I have had the Airties one is the only one that has really worked. The Homeplug solution was the one to finally get Wifi working on this floor and this was after trying a variety of access point and range extender solutions. While I haven't got much experience with Trendnet, a USB Wifi adapter from them was what finally stabilized the Wifi connection on my moms (Windows Vista) laptop and the same model got Wireless N up and running near flawlessly on my Linux laptop. In fact yesterday I bough a Billion Homeplug passthrough device without Wifi and plugged it in to my gaming rigs lan card and viola now I have a stable, working and fast connection on it. So I guess I have been lucky with those brands. But we don't exactly have a huge selection here. My ISP only provides that one model of Airties router for example. What experiences with these brands have you had or heard about that makes you say that?

I'm half a year away from having CCNA certs, and I've always had issues with generic equipment, including Trendnet. Save for 10/100 cards. Damn near impossible to fuck up a 10/100 NIC.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 14 March 2013 - 03:33 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View Post486DX2, on 14 March 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

I'm half a year away from having CCNA certs

Nice. :angry:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options