Duke4.net Forums: Extracting from TekWar? - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Extracting from TekWar?  "SOUNDS and SONGS files"

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I really haven't tried in along time so I don't remember if I was successful or not,

But how would I extract the sounds and songs from Tekwars SOUND and SONGS files, they have no extension.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I know that someone was able to rip the MIDI files from SONGS on Mirsoft.

TekWar
Witchaven
Witchaven 2

The TekWar info.txt references something called "HMP". Also, the Capstone setup program for all three games uses TEST.MID found in the Witchaven zip.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Okay, I just found that site before I checked forum. Thank You for the links.
I'll keep looking for something to extract and recompile...and find out what the files are inside.

This post has been edited by Corvin: 28 February 2013 - 01:32 AM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I see WH1 has TEST.HMP and TEST.RAW, perhaps thats whats inside those files, HMP(MIDI Like) and RAW Recording.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostHendricks266, on 27 February 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

The TekWar info.txt references something called "HMP".

That's a reference to Human Machines Interfaces music system, or HMI. HMP being an alternate format to it.

Here's a look into TekWar's SONGS:
Attached File  tekwar_songs.png (19.64K)
Number of downloads: 37

I don't know if the archive system even saves file names, but you can use programs like Extractor 2.5 to extract both HMI/HMP files out of archives by searching for their headers. Which in TekWar's case seems to be "HMIMIDIP013195". Dunno why there's a date there.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 28 February 2013 - 05:11 AM

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Thanks, you wouldn't happen to have a link to that extractor do you? I can't find that specific one.

The date in the header is the revision of the HMP format, tekwar seems to be using v2.

The file names according to the tekwar src notes are called by Number by the game.

Apparently the sounds can be extracted using a RAW import tool(like goldwave or audacity) at unsigned 8-bit mono audio file, I'm not sure what the original sample rate is, its probably 11025.

There's a lot more I found out but information is scares on this subject. I want to be able to recompile the sounds/music too, but that's the kicker. Probably have to do it all manually.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Alright I found tools to extract HMP from SONGS and converters to MID, also player for HMP directly.
http://dukertcm.com/...m/tekwar-tools/

Heres some info I compiled about HMP:

File Format Type: HMP
HMP is a MIDI-like format playable with Winamp and Foobar2000.
Author: Human Machine Interfaces, MIDI Manufactures Association

HMP (MIDI clone) Used in many DOS games. Occurs usually when game directory contains files like hmi386.drv. Files with the HMP extension identify a support file utilized in the MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) format. HMP files support communication between digital music instruments and music software. HMP files are utilized by sound cards, samplers and synthesizers that are used to manipulate digital music. HMP files may be opened and edited with compatible music editing software. HMP files are used in the storing of music data. HMP files are widely supported and utilized by numerous applications and has become an industry standard. Saved audio data in a HMP format can be easily transferred or shared with various users. The format seems to lack tracking tags. There are two existing versions of the HMP format. All HMP files begin with "HMIMIDIP". The oldest version has its signature followed by a null byte; while the revised version, dated from January 31, 1995, has the signature followed by this date (HMIMIDIP013195). A second revision, dated from June 15, 1995, resulted in the HMI format.

Now I need a sensible way to extract sounds from SOUNDS file, besides a raw dump and cutting each sound off where pauses between them note different file...

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

No luck for a solution to the sounds. and no recompile solution for either one.
I sent an e-mail to Les B. but he hasn't returned my e-mail...

User is offline   Hank 

All you need to do is open the SOUND file in Audacity via the Import Raw command, and then split the distinct sounds into what ever you need/want.

I am way too lazy to do this, but for those that actually want those sounds, it's the simplest way I think.Posted Image Just mouthing off Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 28 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

• Weaponized Autism

I didn't even think to look through Les B's source to see how to open SOUNDS and SONGS.

I've found some related code in TEKSND.C but it will take some time investment to understand it.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Oh, sorry.

Here's Extractor 2.5. I'm maintaining an (offline for now) archive of tools for ripping music from video games. Usually I try to preserve original data but in cases like this I use tools like Extractor 2.5. Let me know if you have trouble with any other games.

I guess raw sound files didn't have any headers in them?

Someone should totally make an extractor/packer executable with the source.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Les replied, it was too long ago for him to remember. He said he hasn't look at any of that code for along time.

@Daedolon, thanks for the link.

@Hank, I think where all too lazy to do it that way. :P

@Hendricks, if you could look at it, it be cool, but don't kill yourself doing it.

Thanks.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I contacted I think it was Joseph Abbati about what tools they used for the sound files but he said something along the lines of he has to find the old backups. There was one more status update and then he stopped replying.

• Weaponized Autism

You may want to direct him to Les Bird's webpage that has the data.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

okay I did, but no response. B)

User is offline   m210® 

Hi everyone :) If you interesting yet, I can give you converted Tekwar sounds to wav files.
teksnd.zip

I made it, because lately I working on porting of this Game.

This post has been edited by M210: 24 June 2016 - 11:12 PM

View PostM210, on 24 June 2016 - 11:10 PM, said:

I made it, because lately I working on porting of this Game.

How much progress have you made?

User is offline   m210® 

View Posticecoldduke, on 25 June 2016 - 08:04 PM, said:

How much progress have you made?

It's almost playable, there are some crashes in prepareboard method, I need to make load/save game, play midi musics and fix some sounds bugs. Also I have a bug with smacker library

I made a demonstration video of my port

• Weaponized Autism

Did you start from JFTekWar or the unmodified sources?

User is offline   m210® 

View PostHendricks266, on 26 June 2016 - 03:25 AM, said:

Did you start from JFTekWar or the unmodified sources?

I writing my port on Java, therefore at first I made a port of Build Engine and rewrite Ken's tech demo of "Game" (I used old source code of original dos game and JFBuild)

Also Im used polymost renderer from eduke32 and jfduke

Next, I noticed that Ken's game and Tekwar original source code is very similar and I start to make port of Tekwar with original dos source code. I Iater found JFTekWar and also used some codes from it.
Btw, loadpalette at initengine methods is different from the release version of Build engine, therefore I disassambled engine.obj which I found in dos tekwar source codes...it gave me the correct loading of the palette as well as the correct angle table (for getangle() method)

As I remember, JFTekwar doesn't drawn something, because it's loaded wrong data from palette.dat

Btw, when I learned duke3d renderer I understood, why Polymer renderer has some "holes" in self-intersecting sectors....there is because developers don't use "combine" method in tesselator :)

And so, I have some bugs in renderer, such as sprites disappearing in large vertical viewing angles. Hendricks266 do you know something about it? I want to fix this bug...and I want to write new rendere on GL2.0 at future...I Hope I will can do this.

View PostM210, on 26 June 2016 - 04:23 AM, said:

I writing my port on Java, therefore at first I made a port of Build Engine and rewrite Ken's tech demo of "Game" (I used old source code of original dos game and JFBuild)

Why Java? Why didn't you start with the unmodified source code?

User is offline   m210® 

View Posticecoldduke, on 27 June 2016 - 03:22 AM, said:

Why Java?

Because Java is a crossplatform language, and I want to use my port on smartphones.

View Posticecoldduke, on 27 June 2016 - 03:22 AM, said:

Why didn't you start with the unmodified source code?

Why not? I'm starting with unmodified source code as well as with modified src too. Especially modified srcs may have some bug fixes. Also eduke32 src I'm accept as a reference.

View PostM210, on 27 June 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

Because Java is a crossplatform language, and I want to use my port on smartphones.

C/C++ is a cross platform language :P.

View PostM210, on 27 June 2016 - 05:35 AM, said:

Why not? I'm starting with unmodified source code as well as with modified src too. Especially modified srcs may have some bug fixes. Also eduke32 src I'm accept as a reference.

I'm not sure if I understand what your saying, my point is the source code to the original game got leaked in some form. I don't know if it compiles even in Watcom, but starting with that code and making it compile with the eduke32 engine is a far better approach, then what I think your doing. When you get it up and running, you can use LLVM and enscripton to get the code to Javascript.

This post has been edited by icecoldduke: 27 June 2016 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   m210® 

I know about native c++ methods for androids...but its all very difficult for me yet :P Im tried to start learning C++ language 3 times, but unsuccessfully...When I start learning a Java's language, Im understood that it provides easier :)

User is offline   m210® 

And also I love Java because I can change any variable and see changes in running program in realtime...for example in render

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Some day I'll get cracking properly on tekwar and work on the levels and some game play stuff.
I really want to fix some of the smaller issues and complete some of the areas to have a bit better standard.

Game has tons of potential, Even with a week's worth of polish it could iron out some of the horrors and make it more bearable.
I already have some ideas on how to fix some of the biggest issues and a few months should be enough to turn it to something that's worth a play.

Has anyone got the original leaked code to compile?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Code compiles just fine, editor / game.
I recall it asked for a CD that I didn't have at the time so I couldn't get past the CD check, however it did do the basic checks without any issues.

Protip: Use the original watcom, openwatcom will not work.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View Postoasiz, on 27 June 2016 - 11:59 AM, said:

Some day I'll get cracking properly on tekwar and work on the levels and some game play stuff.
I really want to fix some of the smaller issues and complete some of the areas to have a bit better standard.

Game has tons of potential, Even with a week's worth of polish it could iron out some of the horrors and make it more bearable.
I already have some ideas on how to fix some of the biggest issues and a few months should be enough to turn it to something that's worth a play.
I think that's a great idea. I always wanted to do it, but I don't have time...

Also, glad to hear about M210's source-port. Hope he finish it without problem.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I like libgdx too, do you use eclipse?

Also, I WANT THIS, LIKE NOW, WITH SAUCE!!!!
please

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options