Duke4.net Forums: Aliens: Colonial Marines (Randy Pitchford has done it again!) - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aliens: Colonial Marines (Randy Pitchford has done it again!)

If you are a duke nukem forever fan and you expected it to come out and also followed Gearbox's media campaign hype that lasted a few months prior to the release of the game, you probably already know who Randy Pitchford is and how much bullshit and outright lies he has said about DNF just to get people hyped and sell it when it comes out.
The mother fucker would answer positive to anything you asked him about the features of the upcoming DNF and when it came out it was almost nothing like he said it would be.
I saw Randy Pitchfag for who he is back then and how he went laughing all the way to the bank after the game came out and everybody bought it just for the fact that it had DNF written on it's cover.
This mother fucker is such a low down liar, I was absolutely sure that when he started hyping the shit out of Aliens Colonial Marines and I saw videos of his fake ass doing it yet again, fresh as if DNF didn't even happen, I just KNEW that Aliens Colonial Maries will find a magic way to be a complete failure, even though it seemed to have a lot of potential and it seemed to be pretty fucking hard to fuck up considering how standard the premise and game mechanics are for an aliens fps game.
So now while checking out youtube, I stumbled upon this video that brings to light everything that I expected prior to this game's launch.
They have lied again about this game too and this time big time BIG FUCKING TIME!

As you can see, Gearbox and Pitchford are the biggest fucking liars that simply lie to everybody straight in the face and then act like nothing happened.
They don't give a fuck, they are in the money making business strictly money making business and if they also happen to make something that resembles a game in the process it's ok but it's not their main goal to make decent games obviously.

After DNF I have mouthed Randy Pitchfag so much and I have cursed him and called his bullshit so much and now a year later I see him at it again.
This mother fucker needs to find some sentimental fools one day that remodel his face when he gets out of his car in the parking lot because otherwise he will keep on fucking around with the brands that people care about.
On a side note, I personally wanted this aliens game to be decent and I was even willing to pay money for it even knowing that randy fuckface was going to take some of those money.
Now I'm extremely glad that I didn't get to buy it before I found out what a joke it is.
I don't know who's fault is it here for this game being allowed to be such a big disgrace to the Alien series but It's pretty damn obvious that Randy Pitchfork is no stranger to this bullshit.
Being the CEO of Gearbox he obviously knows everything that goes on and he yet again went on with bullshit and allowed this game to be released in this miserable state after he himself hyped the shit out of it DNF style.

If Metascore is anything to go by, the scores are worse than fucking DNF's scores which you have to admit is a performance in itself.

Metascore: 49 Aliens: Colonial Marines (X360) User score: 4.2
Metascore: 46 Aliens: Colonial Marines (PS3) User score: 3.6
Metascore: 42 Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) User score: 3.9

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 February 2013 - 01:33 AM

User is offline   Sangman 

Some mistakes have been made here for sure but this namecalling is just juvenile. Are you 12? :/

User is offline   thatguy 

Did you read up on how majority of the game was outsourced to TimeGate? This has been the news since the game's release.

Like I said in another thread, DNF and A:CM were products of Gearbox being shat on by work of other companies. DNF was the product of 3d Realms being a pile of shit. A:CM was the product of a company getting outsourced and providing a pile of shit. If it wasn't for Borderlands 2, A:CM would be an awesome baby, product of Gearbox.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 15 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

If Gearbox actually paid attention to their game when it was outsourced then maybe it wouldn't have been such shit.

P.S. Hey, cheesy bastard, why didn't you correct me about my grammar mistake?

This post has been edited by Cathy: 15 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Man, this game was a total bummer. Some really nice looking environments, but that's about the only nice thing I can say about it. It's one of the worst shooters I've ever played. All I wanted was a serviceable Aliens game. I went in with low expectations, but the game is so dull I couldn't get any enjoyment out of it. They removed, or maybe it never existed, that awesome deferred lighting/ rendering tech they showed off a couple of years back. Gearbox must've stretched themselves too thin over the past few years. There supposedly working on a new Duke game, another BIA title, reworking Furious Four and are probably in pre-production on another Borderlands considering how successful it is. Who knows if any of those games are in active development, but that's a crazy number of games. There's no way a company can maintain quality across that many projects.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Looks like DNF... with an aliens theme.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I was always hoping that when Gearbox started DN5, they would be able to make a good (even great if they really wanted to) Duke game if they started from scratch. However seeing them make 2 complete failures in a row (DNF, A:CM, not counting BL2 which is probably similar to BL1) really shakes up my confidence in the company's ability to make a game.

My new hope is that after those two games, Gearbox's reputation is stretched so thin that they have no choice but to make DN5 super awesome. Of course part of my knows that's never going to happen Posted Image

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

No idea why they'd remove stuff that was already complete.

View PostYatta, on 15 February 2013 - 02:58 PM, said:

No idea why they'd remove stuff that was already complete.

Because it was totally horrid. DNF was already complete and look how that turned out. Removing stuff is relative to its quality. I'm not going to accept work from someone that was a pile of shit, even if it was complete.

In all honesty, do you guys really think they will fall for the mistakes again? Sure it was almost like DNF but these are completely different circumstances One was inherited from a company that has fallen into shambles. The other, A:CM, was just a bad experience with outsourcing.

I'm pretty sure Gearbox wants to avoid this again because who in the right mind wants to run down their company? DN5 is an in-house project and like most projects, won't be completely outsourced.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 15 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostThe Big Cheese, on 15 February 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

However seeing them make 2 complete failures in a row (DNF, A:CM, not counting BL2 which is probably similar to BL1) really shakes up my confidence in the company's ability to make a game.

That's just the thing though, neither of these 2 games were actually made by Gearbox themselves. Piss on poor management all you want, but IMO every title Gearbox has developed for themselves has been great. This is why I feel that the "Fuck Gearbox" chants are a bit nonsensical.

User is offline   Kathy 

Because poor management isn't a part of Gearbox. Just like people don't hate EA because of poor management.

View PostSangman, on 15 February 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

That's just the thing though, neither of these 2 games were actually made by Gearbox themselves.

That's fine and all, but this is the second time Gearbox have hyped themselves up pre-release only to shift the blame to other developer after launch and imply they are not responsible for the product's quality. This title originated at Gearbox, and was marketed as a Gearbox title. I just wish they could be a little accountable. They've done great work before, and I'm sure will continue to do so. It's just odd. Most high-profile developers don't have this crazy gulf in quality between projects. Aliens felt like Gearbox was fulfilling an obligation. I'm sure when it's not some legacy project, and it's a property they own the results will be better.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 15 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

User is offline   Loke 

Colonial Marines should've been more like this imo:

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 15 February 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

That's fine and all, but this is the second time Gearbox have hyped themselves up pre-release only to shift the blame to other developer after launch and imply they are not responsible for the product's quality. This title originated at Gearbox, and was marketed as a Gearbox title. I just wish they could be a little accountable. They've done great work before, and I'm sure will continue to do so. It's just odd. Most high-profile developers don't have this crazy gulf in quality between projects. Aliens felt like Gearbox was fulfilling an obligation. I'm sure when it's not some legacy project, and it's a property they own the results will be better.

Do you know the difference between overhype and just trying to get everyone to buy a product so the company doesn't go bankrupt?

Companies nowadays can't pull of the 'E.T. event' because it would costs millions of dollars with no profit. Its idiotic and stupid.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 15 February 2013 - 05:44 PM

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 15 February 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

[/size]

Do you know the difference between overhype and just trying to get everyone to buy a product so the company doesn't go bankrupt?

Companies nowadays can't pull of the 'E.T. event' because it would costs millions of dollars with no profit. Its idiotic and stupid.

But releasing a terrible product that damages your companies reputation and pedigree isn't stupid? Gearbox and Sega are in no danger of going bankrupt. Plus, it's clear that Aliens was rebooted, if not outright cancelled, at least a couple of times.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 15 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I lol at the original post. I lol at this thread. I lol at this game. I lol at Gearbox. I lol at "Randy Pitchfag". Everything is lol worthy!

EDIT: Quit being such a pansy fanboy, Strikerman.

This post has been edited by Radar: 17 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 15 February 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

But releasing a terrible product that damages your companies reputation and pedigree isn't stupid? Gearbox and Sega are in no danger of going bankrupt. Plus, it's clear that Aliens was rebooted, if not outright cancelled, at least a couple of times.

Six years of development on an expensive game IP. Yeah, definitely not a waste of money that can damage a company enough to drop a couple of projects. Oh wait, that has happened, by many companies. Companies that have the same amount of money if not more than Gearbox. Its not public suicide if you put part/most of the blame on an outsourced company. Hell, I know it wasn't Gearbox's fault that DNF was a pile of shit. Doesn't mean losing a couple of million is nothing.

Reputation < SHIT LOAD OF MONEY.

I don't see how the logic of reputation being more important than making the money lost back. Businesses don't work that way Tibbs....especially when you're a company that has proven they are capable of many quality products.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 15 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 15 February 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

Six years of development on an expensive game IP. Yeah, definitely not a waste of money that can damage a company enough to drop a couple of projects. Oh wait, that has happened, by many companies. Companies that have the same amount of money if not more than Gearbox. Its not public suicide if you put part/most of the blame on an outsourced company. Hell, I know it wasn't Gearbox's fault that DNF was a pile of shit. Doesn't mean losing a couple of million is nothing.

Reputation < SHIT LOAD OF MONEY.

I don't see how the logic of reputation being more important than making the money lost back. Businesses don't work that way Tibbs....especially when you're a company that has proven they are capable of many quality products.

I work for a very successful company. Almost all of our projects and contracts come to us because of our profile and consistent track record. Because of this, we're one of the most recognisable and, I guess, respected names in the industry. Pursuing short term money at the cost of quality or phoning it in on a crappy project will damage your profile and in the long run and bring in less work. If a company is in dire straits it's different, but a successful company like Gearbox releasing a title like this is ridiculous. I imagine very few people get into games to make a shit ton of money. People work on them because they love games and have something cool to contribute. It's just a really disappointing game that either needed a lot more work or to be put out of it's misery.

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 16 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 16 February 2013 - 12:25 AM, said:

I work for a very successful company. Almost all of our projects and contracts come to us because of our profile and consistent track record. Because of this, we're one of the most recognizable and, I guess, respected names in the industry. Pursuing short term money at the cost of quality or phoning it in on a crappy project will damage your profile and in the long run and bring in less work. If a company is in dire straits it's different, but a successful company like Gearbox releasing a title like this is ridiculous. I imagine very few people get into games to make a shit ton of money. People work on them because they love games and have something cool to contribute. It's just a really disappointing game that either needed a lot more work or to be put out of it's misery.

But we are talking about Aliens Colonial Marines. Aliens. Its a contract that has a lot riding on it. It can't be delayed any longer. It can't be put out of its misery either. A:CM took six years. Its not something you can just drop. Six Years on a High Level IP. DNF dropped, and guess what? Bye bye 3d Realms. Sadly, the publishers didn't give them a chance to delay it further. Sega forced them to release it. They played the wrong cards. My point still stands and I thought based on your background, you would know this very well. Most games trashed don't get past the alpha stage. Its like an abortion after the third trimester, it doesn't make sense.

In another argument, people don't get into games to make money....but business people do. Don't forget that. Do you really think publishers know game development? Do you think people that fund projects know the ins and outs of software programming? No. They invest in a good idea and they expect returns. That's how the business works. Its the same across all industries. Gaming is no different. Curious, whats this company you work for anyways? I've worked at Wayforward Technologies, a semi big studio, Insomniac Games, plus smaller studios like Tic Toc Games, Sunken Media which have to worry about both finances, returns, and contract quality. I've even worked closely in Marketing at the biggest Paintball organization which I worked closely with the owner.

I've faced corrupt business ethics and tactics. Things work a certain way to avoid really big issues. Its like people bitching about how a billionaire isn't paying enough taxs, but fail to realize, money spent is relevant to the industry your in. When you're a child a dollar makes you feel rich, but when you grow up $1000 only goes so far. Same goes with companies and wealthy people. Money is relevant to the person and there status, not cut across the board.

View PostLoke, on 15 February 2013 - 05:39 PM, said:

Colonial Marines should've been more like this imo:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Y7m5cRX3q2M

Nah, Colonial Marines should of been more like the E3 demo. :P

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 16 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

All fair points, Newsom.

I don't work in the games industry, I'm just a fan. The company I work for is independent, founded and operated by industry vets so I'm a little sheltered from reality. We're always flush with tons of exciting work. I just assumed that Gearbox as a successful independent studio would've had more leverage in dealings with Sega than the average studio. That they could've pointed to past titles were they had control as examples of what they could achieve when given freedom and resources. Here's hoping their next project is awesome.

View PostSangman, on 15 February 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

That's just the thing though, neither of these 2 games were actually made by Gearbox themselves. Piss on poor management all you want, but IMO every title Gearbox has developed for themselves has been great. This is why I feel that the "Fuck Gearbox" chants are a bit nonsensical.

If what they write in this article is true, then "Fuck Gearbox" chants are very justified.
http://www.shacknews...ines-and-how-it
Here are some quoted parts from that page that if real, prove that Gerabox is at fault for this mess.

A responder in the Reddit thread with apparent knowledge of TimeGate's side said, however, that TimeGate only did what it was told to do by Gearbox:

Everything Timegate did was under clear and explicit direction from Gearbox. Gearbox had creative control of everything that occurred at TG. In addition, Gearbox was responsible for firing some of the most talented people (and internationally recognized as such) TG had employed, all of which were snatched up immediately by competitors. It was Gearbox's shitty oversight of the project that led to the product you all now have before you.

The day before the game came out, Gearbox head Randy Pitchford maintained to IGN that TimeGate only handled the game for about "20-25 percent of the total time.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 16 February 2013 - 01:52 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I wasn't really too concerned about this thread until I watched the demo vs final video. Quite a letdown.

But, concerning the first post....

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: FRANCIS.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark.: 16 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Despite all that has been discussed, i'm still irreparably disappointed. This game was something myself and many other classic film fans have been looking forward to. It wasn't a game with the main focus on multiplayer It was literally a definitive alien experience. How can such a game be so horribly bad? Was the multiplayer good? I would laugh my ass off if it was. Fuck, I hate games that for some reason try to force down multiplayer.

User is offline   Saiyuki234 

The multiplayer is fun.

User is offline   Kathy 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 16 February 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

This game was something myself and many other classic film fans have been looking forward to.

A movie fan looking for a game?

View PostCathy, on 16 February 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

A movie fan looking for a game?

What an unusual concept /sarcasm

I don't know if you're saying that such a thing doesn't exist or you're just being silly.

Plenty of good games based on movies....most of the time they are based in the movies universe....like many big name, big hit games.

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 16 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

I'm saying that movie fan isn't necessary interested in some game based on a universe of a movie. As I understood you were talking about movie fans("classic film fans") in general and not about fans of Alien universe.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Posted Image

Mindfuck.

User is offline   Ronin 

I have been reading some of the threads on Gearbox forums for a laugh, I have never seen such rage, it's way worse than the DNF circus.
There are even some people trying to take legal action against Gearbox for fraud, or talking about it at least.
What the hell were Gearbox thinking? Pulling this stunt twice with two long awaited games, that's just stupid.
I now savagely don't trust Gearbox with anything, even though Borderlands 2 was pretty cool.
It will now be nearly impossible to be excited about any future Duke game from them, knowing that everything they say is probably a lie.

With DNF I wasn't sure if they knew quite how ropey the game was, but this Alien game....they knew big time, so that means they knew with DNF too, they can't ever be trusted.
I can't get over how Randy can lie so convincingly and with such juvenile excitement, he really is a piece of work.

I hope Gearbox as a company suffer immensely for this dishonesty and loose so much business they have to sell the Duke IP to a more capable developer that can deliver on it's promises.
I imagine the Aliens fan base is way bigger than the Dukes so they burned a lot more people this time around, so hopefully they don't get out of this without a few black eyes.
Also name calling is justified in this case as Randy Pitchford simply put, is a cunt.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 16 February 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

If what they write in this article is true, then "Fuck Gearbox" chants are very justified.
http://www.shacknews...ines-and-how-it
Here are some quoted parts from that page that if real, prove that Gerabox is at fault for this mess.

Well, SEGA's Matthew Powers also agrees with this assessment. Gearbox ran the show.
http://www.dsogaming...megate-studios/
"Absolutely not, the game has been developed by Gearbox Software. Other studios [like Timegate] helped Gearbox on the production of single and multiplayer."

Gearbox is (will be) in big shit over this game. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 16 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options