Duke4.net Forums: mega.co.nz - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

mega.co.nz  "Kim Dotcom's New Website Is Finally Launched"

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

http://www.mega.co.nz

MEGA is a successor to the Megaupload file hosting service. The website was launched on January 19, 2013 at 6.48am to coincide with the one-year anniversary of the seizure of Megaupload. After the country of Gabon denied the new company the domain name me.ga, Dotcom announced it would instead be registered in his adopted home of New Zealand, thereby putting it out of U.S. jurisdiction and reach, and the domain name would be mega.co.nz

Its main competitors are file hosting services Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft SkyDrive.

Data encryption

Dotcom has said that data on the Mega service will be encrypted client-side using the AES algorithm. Since Mega does not know the encryption keys to uploaded files, they cannot decrypt and view the contents and therefore cannot be responsible for the contents of uploaded files. Dotcom stated that encrypting files allows them to work with a larger number of data hosting companies around the world, decreasing the likelihood of a Megaupload-style seizure of servers by one government. He mentioned in an interview that "Each file will be kept with at least two different hosters, [in] at least two different locations," and "That’s a great added benefit for us because you can work with the smallest, most unreliable [hosting] companies. It doesn’t matter because they can’t do anything with that data."

The Mega team indicated that some companies, such as film studios, will have direct access to remove files if they discover the encryption keys online and determine that the content infringes their copyright. Dotcom added that if such companies want to use that tool they would have to agree, prior to receiving access, not to sue Mega or hold the site accountable for the actions of its users.

Differences to Megaupload

Previously users had to wait 45 seconds before they could download a file. Mega removed this.
Free users will get 50 GB of free storage space
Total bandwidth will be limited, from 1 to 8 TB per month, for paid accounts. Free account bandwidth is not currently disclosed.

I have not been able to load the website myself, I suspect this is due to the mass amount of traffic the site has been receiving so I can not call any judgement on the site it's self yet.

This post has been edited by Cody: 20 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I probably won't be using it anytime soon. A message pops up telling me I.E.8 is too outdated to use their site.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I don't foresee the Kiwis letting this website last for very long.

View PostAchenar, on 21 January 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

I don't foresee the Kiwis letting this website last for very long.

Why do you say that?
Who is going to stop the website and why.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Why are you so obsessed with this guy cody?

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

View PostReaperMan, on 21 January 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Probably because he's still The Commander at heart. :P I doubt the website could shutdown so easily either. Correct me if I'm wrong because I read up on the website yesterday and don't feel like re-reading for fact checking and my Internet cut out in the middle of typing this so I have to wait to reply, but they're using AES encryption keys for the users' files putting the responsibility of what's uploaded into the hands of the user. The encryption key needs to be handed out in order for somebody download files.

Edit:
Oh duh it's in what he posted to begin, excuse my idiocy.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 21 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

View PostReaperMan, on 21 January 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

Obsessed, not so much.
He is planning to bring good things to New Zealand regarding Internet services like paying for a new under sea cable. So he has my support if it's going to make my internet faster.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options