Duke4.net Forums: [REQUEST] Urea 51 & Plug 'n Pray - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[REQUEST] Urea 51 & Plug 'n Pray

Greetings.

My suggestion is this: could any of the resident mappers consider remaking the bonus Saturn level Urea 51, or the PlayStation episode 'Plug 'n Pray' for the PC version of Duke? I am fully aware that this can be experienced thanks to emulation, but even still, it'd be a good idea, in my opinion, to run the levels natively under PC Duke 3D.

Suggestion submitted to your (dis)approval.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

This (the remaking of Plug n Pray) has been discussed many times, and it's way too much work. For example, people are remaking the levels of Duke 64, which are already modified versions of the PC levels mind you, and it's taking them years! As for Urea 51, it probably wouldn't be too hard, but what's the point? Actually, on second thought that would be pretty difficult, as from memory in Urea 51 you're picked up by a crane thing and you're able to look side to side and up and down to shoot the buttons, however on the PC your view is locked to the front. Note I've only played PC Duke, nothing on consoles. However when the mappers here manage to pull away from the claws of real life, they prefer to invest their time in making something new and original.

User is online   Lunick 

I have always always always wanted Plug N Pray, Urea 51 and Duke 64 ported and it seems like only Duke 64 is the closest we have.

User is offline   Loke 

Funny, I've always wanted to try and remake Urea 51 for the PC version but other stuff has always kept me busy so I haven't had the time. Some time maybe.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 30 December 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

For example, people are remaking the levels of Duke 64, which are already modified versions of the PC levels mind you, and it's taking them years!

Recently Nukey was able to extract all the maps out of the Duke 64 ROM so that obstacle got its ass handed to it. He took a look at Duke PS1 but it's a lot of work.

View PostMicky C, on 30 December 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

As for Urea 51, it probably wouldn't be too hard, but what's the point? Actually, on second thought that would be pretty difficult, as from memory in Urea 51 you're picked up by a crane thing and you're able to look side to side and up and down to shoot the buttons, however on the PC your view is locked to the front.

A little CON mod could do the trick. Since the Saturn uses a different engine (SlaveDriver) than BUILD, approximating the maps would be the only option for making it.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Even still, if there's ever going to be the slightest possibility of getting the Plug n Pray maps out of the disk or from the original map author than recreating the maps from scratch is completely infeasible.

User is offline   NNC 

I remember one day I emailed Fuseball, author of the Plug and Pray episode, and he promised me he can find the original PC versions of those maps as they all did them with the Build engine, but sadly he didn't respond anything since then,

Is there a way to contact Fuseball now? :)

User is offline   nukemania 

That would be cool. On a similar note, I remember a thread from justroms with TMD's fourth episode allegedly converted.

User is offline   NNC 

View PostVictor Delacroix, on 31 December 2012 - 11:54 PM, said:

Is there a way to contact Fuseball now? :P

He has a Twitter account you can find him there.

But I realised he has already registered on this forum and said he didn't find the given disc...

User is offline   wesley025 

View PostVictor Delacroix, on 30 December 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

Greetings.

My suggestion is this: could any of the resident mappers consider remaking the bonus Saturn level Urea 51, or the PlayStation episode 'Plug 'n Pray' for the PC version of Duke? I am fully aware that this can be experienced thanks to emulation, but even still, it'd be a good idea, in my opinion, to run the levels natively under PC Duke 3D.

Suggestion submitted to your (dis)approval.

Yeah,i tried to play it using an emulator but it glitched too much.So,that still give you the option to play it on the ps1/2/3 but the isn't that cheap since it can be considered a collector's item.

I really want the Total Meltdown on sell in the PS3 Store. It would be fun to play the Tomb Raider Level again.

This post has been edited by wesley025: 09 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

I remember a while back, I actually perfected a Plug 'n Pray remake. Because out of all the episodes, that one was my favorite, however, I hated it because the levels were oversized and the layout wasn't exact like the PS1, so I got rid of it, and in order for me to have actually made it, I had to play through the PS1 version and memorize the layout, textures and such, it was a pain in the butt, took me days just to get one level done. Trackside Tragedy and Nightmare Zone were the most difficult because of how big they were. Recently I have had the urge to attempt to remake it again but this time if I wanted to I would make sure they weren't oversized and the layout and textures would be close to the original as much as possible.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options