Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Dogville 2012 - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Dogville 2012

User is offline   taivo30 

Finished a new (or old) map this week. Here is the link

http://www8.zippysha...75829/file.html

Let me know what you think of the map or if you're stuck at some point of the map and i'll try to help. :)

User is offline   Lunick 

inb4 NO SCREENSHOTS RANT RANT RANT

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Overall, a fun and detailed map but I question some of your enemy positioning skills. Why were there 5 commanders on top of each other :)

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Finally, Roch 9.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Here's a review in case some of you need convincing: http://msdn.duke4.ne...ogville2012.php

User is offline   underTaker 

Great map! I remember playing it previously, when it wasn't finished. I didn't expected for someone to work with it! That was nice surprise.

It was pretty easy map, however there was moments when i had really low hp. I enjoyed smashing groups of reinforcements with pipe bombs or rpg.

I liked the gameplay, however in few moments i didn't know what to do, and the camera monitors were pointing at location which doesn't really matters anything (i mean the one in first part with lots of dogs and first yellow card sprite).

I really enjoyed playing it. Great job there!

It was pretty easy map, however there was moments when i had really low hp. I enjoyed smashing groups of reinforcements with pipe bombs or rpg.

I think the hardest part is probably when U get of the train, there are some health on top of the rocks though.

I liked the gameplay, however in few moments i didn't know what to do, and the camera monitors were pointing at location which doesn't really matters anything (i mean the one in first part with lots of dogs and first yellow card sprite).

Camera is pointing at the dogs cause eventually after U have pressed all the buttons U will get a card respawn there.

I really enjoyed playing it. Great job there!

Thanks, it was nice to map again. :) I haven't been mapping much before I started with this map again.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Very Rochish (as a compliment).

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

IM STUCK. I've been walking around for twenty minutes and can't figure out what to do after I enter this building. Any help?

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Radar: 15 December 2012 - 02:56 PM

IM STUCK. I've been walking around for twenty minutes and can't figure out what to do after I enter this building. Any help?

When you're in the kitchen you can jump up and go into the toilet (used TROR there). In the toilet you'll get an access card!

User is offline   faked 

Very good looking map!MY compliments!

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Thanks Taivo! I finished the map, with the counter saying 60 minutes at the end. There were some great things you did that I've never seen done in Duke3D before. I can't believe you made such a good map after being on break for so long. Great job with the TROR.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Wow! That's a lot of gameplay. Very good job, Taivo, very rochish, clean design. HRP maphacks available.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 16 December 2012 - 04:30 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

better late than never:

http://www.scent-88....D/dog2/dog2.php

User is offline   nukemania 

I'm stuck near the start of the map. I got various yellow key cards and opened a few yellow card doors (I think 3 so far); now I have yet another yellow card but can't find another yellow door. There's also a blue card door in the area, but I don't yet have a blue card.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Inside each building with a yellow key lock, there's a viewscreen with a picture of a dog with a key in its mouth next to it. The dogs are actually buttons that you need to press, which is why the map is called Dogville. You're lucky, I had to figure this out on my own Posted Image

User is offline   Merlijn 

Those dog switches are from the original, it would have been better to replace them with normal switches IMO.

Anyway, played it and it's a blast! To be honest, I think the first part (from the original level) is the weakest. It suffers from looking a bit too much like Roch (even including that unlinear puzzle, which is taken from roch 7). However, it still looks very well made and obviously a lot of work and attention to detail went into making it.

The newer parts are where the map really starts too shine though: here the Pascal influences are a bit toned down and it looks more like a original Tiavo map, including some stuff I haven't seen before in a duke map. Also, this must be one of the biggest city maps I've ever played. It almost feels like you get to visit the entire city!

Gameplay is good too, when a map is so long you expect to get bored at some point. but that never happened. So kudos for that. The map had some nice combat scenario's, and blowing up hordes of liztroops by throwing a pipebomb at them never gets old. :)

User is offline   David B. 

I'm stuck after the supermarket and dukeburger, where the first blue card and another red one is used.
After that, there are two minibosses roaming outside, I went back outside and killed them, but I need the second blue card which I've never found in the supermarket nor in the dukeburgers.
Where is it ?

That's ok, I found it...

This post has been edited by David B.: 24 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

Glad you liked the map Merlijn.

The newer parts are where the map really starts too shine though: here the Pascal influences are a bit toned down and it looks more like a original Tiavo map, including some stuff I haven't seen before in a duke map

New stuff? I can't think of anything new I did :)

User is offline   Jinroh 

Finally got to play through it tonight, awesome map! Really liked the layout. You really crammed a ton of gameplay in those few city blocks!

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah it was really good, but to me it felt like 2 maps next to each others rather than one (probably mostly because I already knew the original).

Also some of the stuff that got deleted from the original were some of favourite parts...

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostMetHy, on 09 March 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

Also some of the stuff that got deleted from the original were some of favourite parts...

Hate when that happens. I remember being very pissed off because Miamax´s revision of his first map didnt have any of the bits i loved.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 09 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

User is offline   Forge 

I know.

there was this map released awhile back called "it lives". Had a real cool beginning section, but the author took it out. practically ruined the whole map for me

User is offline   Gambini 

We were talking about released maps.

But I know, dont worry. I´m gonna put that beginning back for you. The only thing is that i dont want two different versions lying around. So, I´ll get in in a flash drive, put it inisde a banana, and send it your way using the actual mail service.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Gambini: 09 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

User is offline   Forge 

as long as you rub it all over your body first so it smells like gambini and it's hand delivered by a 9 year old riding a bear (or a bear riding a 9 year old - which seems more appropriate coming from you) then I don't care if you stick the flash drive in a banana boat, i'll still love it :angry: ....and i promise not to tell your wife this time...

User is offline   pacman 

View PostEMPATHY_IS_AN_ELEPHANT, on 15 December 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry for bump but im exactly stuck in the same place, and there's no toilet.. what toilet? in the kitchen there's no toilet. There's a door inside that place that's locked. I don't know what to do.

User is offline   pacman 

Oh wait I just saw it. That was tricky as hell!

User is offline   NNC 

The original was better. It had a coherent design which was indeed reminiscent to the Roch series, but so what? All the fuss was wrong, that level should have been part of the Roch episode instead, just from a different mapper. It was like Levelord bemoaning of the Freeway level in his Shrapnel City episode. The EDF Secret Base story was just as bad, but that's offtopic here.

Indeed, this map is fine and all, but as MetHunter said, two maps and styles merged into one.

Btw. Mikko, IIRC you said long years ago that Pascal created Roch9, just didn't make it into the public. Was that true? It would be a shame if the level got lost.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 23 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostNancsi, on 23 May 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

Btw. Mikko, IIRC you said long years ago that Pascal created Roch9, just didn't make it into the public. Was that true? It would be a shame if the level got lost.

No, I asked Rouaud after he said he'd stopped. Told me he didn't make a single sector for a potential next map. Honestly, at that time it sounded to me like he needed an excuse to stop and move on to something else.

However I had Roch in my MSN contact list a long time ago, Pascal's nephew, and he had a pretty cool map that was 50-75% done. Never heard of it again.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options