Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and Shadow Warrior Complete listed in Steam Database - Duke4.net Forums

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic Edition and Shadow Warrior Complete listed in Steam Database

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTerminX, on 14 February 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

EDuke32. :P

... is the reason Duke 3D is still alive.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yes, precisely.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Oh well I was going to say because of the dedicated developers and contributors, but if it's just that program then okay. :P Seriously though, you guys have done a great job, it's just odd to see Duke3D brought back to PC again officially.

User is online   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostAchenar, on 14 February 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

I have absolutely no interest in this unless Internet multiplayer is added.

I'm betting that it will. There's no point in bringing it to Steam if not and I'm sure they know that. It needs online multiplayer, high resolution textures and high resolution sprites. The 3D models still exist, so there's nothing stopping them from making new sprites. As you can see in the video, there's 2 options to play either classic Duke3D or Duke3D+.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

We're forgetting about Shadow Warrior though, it may actually be useful to have a fresh port of Shadow Warrior. Now, if these ports aren't cross compatible then screw it.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostSpirrwell, on 14 February 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Seconded, I mean it's not like they're going to completely remake the game, that'd be silly. They might as well release their source.

They may be legally obligated to and they definitely are if they use any of JonoF's code.

View PostSpirrwell, on 14 February 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

Probably won't though. If they do I want to steal whatever code they have for that high resolution nuke symbol. I've been wanting that for a while in EDuke32...

http://hendricks266....e32_vp8_xbla.7z

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHendricks266, on 14 February 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

They may be legally obligated to and they definitely are if they use any of JonoF's code.

...wasn't that also the case for the XBLA port? We all know how that went...

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Yeah, they are "legally obligated" although probably nothing will happen if they don't.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostFox, on 14 February 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Yeah, they are "legally obligated" although probably nothing will happen if they don't.

Is it not the Free Software Foundation job to go after this? If someone uses open source code, fine, put on Steam, make some money, fine, 'forget' to provide the open source, well, not fine.

I have no idea what you and The Big Cheeze know about the Xbox port. So, pretty please, at least try to make make sure everyone knows when someone here gets fucked over by someone else. Posted Image

• Honored Donor

Oh ok, basically the XBLA Duke port is based on the JonoF port, which means they're supposed to release the source, however they did not. TX even put some effort into chasing it up, however he was shut out.

This kind of boils my blood. I mean, the fans try and make decent free Duke mods on other engines while waiting for the (crappy) DNF to come out, and they shut us down with legal legislation. Now, when the tables are turned, and they're using the fans' personal hard work to make themselves a profit, and are legally required to do us the favour of the little task of releasing some code, suddenly they don't want to know us. Hypocrites and tools.

User is offline   Hank 

^ thanks for the info! Posted Image

Yes, this is pissing me off too, b.t.w. but the more people know the better.

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

User is online   Lunick 

How about we just calm down for now and see what becomes of this port. Just because they are using XBLA assets doesn't exactly mean they are porting the Xbox 360 version.

Let's have some patience, I trust Devolver :P

User is offline   xMobilemux 

This better have some new good looking features because I already have over 12 boxed copies of Duke Nukem 3D and I have it on GoG.com too, both of which can be played great on Eduke32 :P

I like the new looking HUD, but it needs more than that.

• Honored Donor

I agree that we should wait and see. But what are you impying? That they ported the XBLA version from windows to xbox, now they're porting it from the xbox to windows? lol what

User is offline   Fox 

View PostThe Big Cheese, on 14 February 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

This kind of boils my blood. I mean, the fans try and make decent free Duke mods on other engines while waiting for the (crappy) DNF to come out, and they shut us down with legal legislation. Now, when the tables are turned, and they're using the fans' personal hard work to make themselves a profit, and are legally required to do us the favour of the little task of releasing some code, suddenly they don't want to know us. Hypocrites and tools.

Calm down, that's a common gesture from a video game company. You can't genuinely expect them to act in good faith.

And frankly how can someone let himself be shut down? If 3DRealms or whoelse told me to stop working in a mod I would just give a cynical response and ignore them.

This post has been edited by Fox: 14 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostFox, on 14 February 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

Calm down, that's a common gesture from a video game company. You can't genuinely expect them to act in good faith.

Now I am lost again. (and I am trying to gather facts here, calmly)

If someone used JonoF port, as The Big Cheese wrote, which part is a common gesture from a video game company? To republishing it without the source code and/or ignore the original programmer?

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

I think with game being released on Steam/PC you could have a better leverage in terms of demanding a source code since more people will be able to check this version out when for XBLA you needed to do all kinds of shit to check yourself with Xbox being a closed platform. And I imagine it would be possible to bring FSF on board.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 14 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

User is offline   Hank 

^ not sure how difficult it would be.
Open Sourcing
games that work on Xbox, can be open source, OK, with some work.
http://nine.codeplex.com/

As for the cash flow, if you want to be on XBox Live, you need to pay a fee to MS ($100/yr ??), they will give you a spot, and look after the sales, and this is where game developers mysteriously close the source code. Posted Image

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostFox, on 14 February 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

And frankly how can someone let himself be shut down? If 3DRealms or whoelse told me to stop working in a mod I would just give a cynical response and ignore them.

Speaking as someone with first hand experience in these kind of situations. You're ignorant about that kind of situation. When they tell you to knock it off, you knock it off. There was a smartass working on a source version of a Duke port, they were told to stop, they told 3D Realms in no uncertain terms to fuck themselves. 3D Realms had some lawyers start drawing up the paper work. It's all cute when it's just a request that you stop, and everyone thinks they can be a macho digi-tough guy and tell some company to stuff it... They aren't messing around. And we shouldn't either. If there is bad pool being played with source code that is under a certain agreement, they should be held accountable. Enough of this "Oh, companies engage in shady deals all the time, so what?" nonsense. It's wrong, and it needs to be stopped.

But it remains to be seen if such a thing is happening.

This looks like a cool piece of news. It'd be sweet to have some stable multiplayer. THough I have to say i'd hoped Eduke32 would get there first.

User is offline   thatguy 

So why is it called Duke Nukem 3d+?

User is online   Lunick 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 14 February 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Well it's Duke Nukem 3D with enhancements, what else are they going to call it? :P

And if the person doesn't want that, they can play the classic version.

User is offline   thatguy 

Okay, thats what I thought. Well, I'm curious as to what these enhancements are....please don't be EDUKE. lol I already have it. :P

User is offline   Fox 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 February 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Speaking as someone with first hand experience in these kind of situations. You're ignorant about that kind of situation.

I am so sorry, why don't you teach me with your vast expertise?

When they tell you to knock it off, you knock it off. There was a smartass working on a source version of a Duke port, they were told to stop, they told 3D Realms in no uncertain terms to fuck themselves. 3D Realms had some lawyers start drawing up the paper work. It's all cute when it's just a request that you stop, and everyone thinks they can be a macho digi-tough guy and tell some company to stuff it... They aren't messing around.

I am so scared.

And we shouldn't either. If there is bad pool being played with source code that is under a certain agreement, they should be held accountable. Enough of this "Oh, companies engage in shady deals all the time, so what?" nonsense. It's wrong, and it needs to be stopped.

That's cool, but it doesn't increase the chance of them facing legal trouble.

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 14 February 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

They are probably going to bundle it with Duke plus and give Trooper Dan no credit....

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostReaperMan, on 15 February 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

They are probably going to bundle it with Duke plus and give Trooper Dan no credit....

That was my thought too.

User is offline   Fox 

Is Eduke32 stable enough to be released as a product? :P

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostFox, on 15 February 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Is Eduke32 stable enough to be released as a product? :P

They don't have to call it Eduke32. They could download the source, alter a few lines of code, slap a proprietary license on it, and call it the Duke Nukem 3D+ EngineĀ®.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

lol bundle it with Duke Plus. :P What would you guys do if that actually were the case? I think I'd laugh my head off, and just sit around duke4.net laughing at everyone's complaints. That would be a really jerky thing for Steam to do.

I highly doubt that's their plan.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostAchenar, on 15 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

They don't have to call it Eduke32. They could download the source, alter a few lines of code, slap a proprietary license on it, and call it the Duke Nukem 3D+ EngineĀ®.

That wasn't my point...

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostAchenar, on 15 February 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

slap a proprietary license on it

One does not simply slap a license on software that already has a license.

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options