Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] KNEE DEEP - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] KNEE DEEP  "Doom remixed in WGR2 with dynamic lights."

User is offline   Kyanos 

Here is a little treat for everyone.
Today is Dooms 19th birthday and to celebrate we'd like to share with everyone a remix of Doom 1 Episode 1 Knee Deep in the Dead. Converted to WGR2 by myself with hand placed dynamic lights by Micky C.

I can go on and on with instructions and stuff, instead here's a download link and some screenshots.

Attached File  Knee Deep V1.00.zip (10.05MB)
Number of downloads: 686

VERSION 1.1 NOW AVAILABLE IN ANOTHER POST, FOLLOW THIS LINK

Attached Image: eduke322012-11-2516-50-58-52-1.pngAttached Image: duke0000.pngAttached Image: eduke322012-11-2912-34-58-33-1.png

Attached Image: capt0004.pngAttached Image: duke0000 (4).pngAttached Image: mapster322012-11-2912-35-57-67.png

Attached Image: FireGolem.png

FROM THE READ ME:

This is an addon for WGR2 so go get it!!

http://www.moddb.com/games/wgrealms-2

Now extract this zip so that __Knee_Deep.bat is in the
root directory and overwrite the old Eduke32.exe

Play WGR2 by running WGR2.bat
Run __Knee_Deep.bat to play this addon

You will need to set keys/mouse for POW KEY and ALT_FIRE
See attached pictures _alt_fire.png and _pow_key.png

To run the fancy new lighting renderer
1st. Select a 32bit resolution
2nd. Check the Polymer box > Start
3rd. New Game > Lighting Redux episode
4th. Turn the lights off and close the blinds

This post has been edited by Drek: 21 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Here are some extra screenshots. I spent several weeks working solidly on this, and I'm sure Drek worked on it some time longer, so enjoy!

The framerate in polymer should be good for most computers, but if you do play the polymer episode Disable blood and gore for the best framerate in the autoexec.cfg!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 10 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

When actually playing the episode, it looks beautiful and there is that little bit of fear since there are dark spots on some parts of the maps including the flickering lights :) . The boss is a pretty interesting sight too even though a certain person doesn't seem to like it :)

This post has been edited by Lunick: 10 December 2012 - 03:58 AM

User is offline   Arwu 

hey Santa Claus ! give me some new graphic card :) i want to use polymer lightings. anyway, these screens look really nice, cool as frozing ice. :)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Wow, this is exactly what I've wanted for WGR2 for so long. Unfortunately, I don't have a single computer in my house that supports polymer, but I'll be playing this in any form I can. I'll tell you guys whether the episode is acceptable in 8-bit or not. :)

User is offline   Kyanos 

The map was initially designed for the classic renderer, then Micky added the polymer lighting and we split it into two episodes, classic and the lighting redux.

Fun for all with the best of both worlds. I personally enjoy the classic episode with polymer lights, but Mickys episode sets a completely different mood and atmosphere. It's by far the better way to play this IMO.

Edit: I didn't post a single pic using the software renderer. Opps.

Attached Image: duke0000.png
Attached Image: duke0001.png
Attached Image: duke0002.png

This post has been edited by Drek: 10 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

• Honored Donor

I would have liked the polymer version just a tad darker (not pitch black) to give it that little extra bit of "omg what is that?" scare factor from shadows and silhouettes and things, but then again it is a shooter game and you need to see what you're shooting.
For those who haven't played it yet, the darkness in the photos does not reflect the darkness in the actual map, it's brighter than that.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Can't believe how useless the melee saw is. I died 5 times at the beginning before I realized I should just avoid the monsters until getting my hands on a weapon.

Anyways, what to do at the end of the first map? The skull button doesn't seem to be doing anything.

• Honored Donor

Assuming you're using the polymer version (in which case I'd love to know your framerate with your ATI card), the skull button on the door activates an effect within the door sector which teleports you to the next level. So just move closer to the button. There may be a slight update at some point, nothing major, but we'll probably address tiny issues like this (in this case I'd just add an extra effect sprite to the sector in front of the door).

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Oh okay, had to replay the entire map because it wouldn't work.

All the environmental lighting in itself doesn't cause any problems with the framerate but there are these occasional spikes whenever there's a huge explosion or something like that.

So far this mod is okay in short bursts but it gets dull quickly because of the repetitive architecture (i.e., blocky rooms with no details).

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 12 December 2012 - 07:17 AM, said:

So far this mod is okay in short bursts but it gets dull quickly because of the repetitive architecture (i.e., blocky rooms with no details).

I hate to defend "blocky rooms with no details", but that's pretty much how the original DooM looked.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostAchenar, on 12 December 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

I hate to defend "blocky rooms with no details", but that's pretty much how the original DooM looked.

Yeah well that was nearly 20 years ago.

User is offline   Vagan 

Hey Drek & MickyC!

Many thanks for this. It's long and lots of fun, Doom + WGR2 rocks. Playing the classic version since I don't have a Polymer-compatible video card atm.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 12 December 2012 - 07:34 AM, said:

Yeah well that was nearly 20 years ago.

Whatever. I still play the classic DooM so I appreciate a mod like this. I'll be sure to play it when I get home tonight.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Oh okay, had to replay the entire map because it wouldn't work.

I have a question about this to trace the coding error. Did you by chance push the skull button and save the game then reload later and fully approach the door. I think the activation may have been lost once you quit / died.

All the environmental lighting in itself doesn't cause any problems with the framerate but there are these occasional spikes whenever there's a huge explosion or something like that.

I tried writing a fireflag variable into this to disable the large amount of lights that get spawned by explosions and fire, especially since the mod includes a flame thrower and fire breathing dragons. Unfortunately, it didn't work out as well as making the blood and gore invisible, I think a lot of the sprites in question may be hardcoded. This is one of the things I'm looking into updating.

View PostAchenar, on 12 December 2012 - 07:24 AM, said:

From Knee Deep.txt
" First I ripped all 9 maps of DOOM1 Episode 1 using Silvermans WAD2MAP.
I wrote Mapster script for texture and sprite changes. Thanks Helixhorned!
The rest was old school manual editing in Mapster32."

This looks pretty much like how Doom looked. No slopes, ceiling doors, "blocky rooms", but it's not the Doom you remember. :)

Spoiler

View PostVagan, on 12 December 2012 - 08:56 AM, said:

Hey Drek & MickyC!Many thanks for this. It's long and lots of fun, Doom + WGR2 rocks. Playing the classic version since I don't have a Polymer-compatible video card atm.

Cheers Vagan. I'm glad you're enjoying it. I original made this for "practice" and code/art testing. I had so much fun with it that I just had to share it. Thanks for making my day :)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Yes, I saved the game after pushing the button. I loaded the save after reading Micky's post about where to go.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Hmm. I assumed as much, yet try as I might I can't break it. Either way Micky's fix will make it so that will not happen again.

• Honored Donor

So we'd like to put this on moddb as soon as possible, but it would be nice to get some more information first.

For those who have finished the level, did you encounter any other problems that haven't been mentioned?
What did you think of the new final boss?
If you played the polymer version, what did you think of the lights (do they look good, is it too bright/dark), and what was your framerate?

User is offline   Kyanos 

This is directed to anyone who played Knee Deep and is willing to take the time to answer.

What episode did you play? (if lights how was your fps?)

What did you think of the mod in a whole?

What would you change? (I'm changing things already)

Have you beat knee deep yet?

If so...
Did you cheat? (god mode is fun sometimes, I won't be mad or nothin')
How glitchy was the boss fight for you? (sometimes it goes well, sometimes not)

If not...
Are you still planning on playing? or Have you given up?
Is it too hard? (I feel it's too hard, Micky says it's not, it's challenging)

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Quick question Drek: Did you use Ken's original DOS exe of WAD2MAP or one of the periodically updated binaries?

User is offline   Kyanos 

I used the original. 10-10-1996

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I think it's a bit too hard. A part of the problem is that these monsters were optimized for maps that were much more open than these Doom maps are.

Anyways, I had every intention of having a review up for Christmas but I only made it to the third map and now I won't be back to my apartment until after New Year.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Agree with Mikko so far (I'm somewhere in the middle of the second map - after feeding a gate a lost soul and beating some mini-boss). The damaged received from the enemies (especially the extended poisoning(?) is usually greater than the amount of healing items available. It's very hard, but not impossible.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Thanks a ton for the feedback guys!
While I'm not about to ask you to start over, I feel the need to let you know I have a major update coming around New Years. The released versions Boss Fight is pretty glitchy and I made a few more changes.

A brief change log:
Fixed door at the end of the first polymer map
Made health cost 1/2 as much in piece of cake
POW meter no longer resets on level loading
Remove some monsters from lower skill levels
Classic map shading and some texturing

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDrek, on 20 December 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

Thanks a ton for the feedback guys!
While I'm not about to ask you to start over, I feel the need to let you know I have a major update coming around New Years. The released versions Boss Fight is pretty glitchy and I made a few more changes.

A brief change log:
Fixed door at the end of the first polymer map
Made health cost 1/2 as much in piece of cake
POW meter no longer resets on level loading
Remove some monsters from lower skill levels
Classic map shading and some texturing

No problem. Would you like me to wait for the update before I do a review? Right now ambiance, layout, and construction are spot on, but improving the game-play balance will improve the score

• Honored Donor

Don't forget lighting Posted Image

If it were up to me I'd say wait for the improved version since you're less than half way through. That way when we upload the episode to moddb, we can link both yours and Mikko's articles in the moddb article, unless Mikko says it sucks due to the architecture and gives it a lame score.

Btw Mikko, I know where you live...

Spoiler

User is offline   Kyanos 

I agree.

And to add to the change log:
I've just stopped the flamethrower projectile from spawning light, while still letting the fire it spawns upon impact shine light. Fixing the horrible fps spike, but not completely taking away the effect.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMicky C, on 20 December 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

Btw Mikko, I know where you live...

Spoiler

And that bit of information is of no use as your sensitive Oceanian body would immediately freeze up upon entering the country due to the 45 degree temperature difference.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Will this episode ever be integrated into the WG Realms 2 release? This episode is legit; it should be a fifth episode directly included in the amazing WG Realms 2 saga.

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostRadar, on 22 December 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

Will this episode ever be integrated into the WG Realms 2 release? This episode is legit; it should be a fifth episode directly included in the amazing WG Realms 2 saga.

Wow, thanks for such kind words. There are currently plans for this to go up on moddb. Somewhere close to the WG Realms 2 release, but not fully integrated.

As for the continuing saga, this is not the next major release only a small little side quest for Duke...
Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options