Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior on iOS - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior on iOS

Need to check with 3D Realms

Would you guys be willing and able to do such an Android port if approached by 3D Realms?

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostKristian Joensen, on 25 November 2012 - 08:14 AM, said:

Would you guys be willing and able to do such an Android port if approached by 3D Realms?

Yes.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

You guys should make it compatible with one of these.....

http://www.ionaudio....ils/icademobile

That way i don't have to use shitty touch screen controls.

User is offline   Lunick 

If 3D Realms didn't have the rights to them then I'm sure they wouldn't have been able to include them in the GOG version right?

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostReaperMan, on 25 November 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

You guys should make it compatible with one of these.....

http://www.ionaudio....ils/icademobile

That way i don't have to use shitty touch screen controls.

Not sure about iCade, but 60beat GamePad already integrated in beta version.

I didn't quite like some of the SW's weapon ammo max capacity. For example Uzi's 200 rounds limit. I think it could be better IMHO. Here's my wish list of the new ammo capacity if SW was brought over to the iOS

• Riotgun: 8 rounds if the weapon itself is picked up. 24 or 16 ammo pick up. Ammo max capacity 64 if w/ 16 ammo pick up or 72 max capacity if w/ 24 round pick up.
  • Uzi's ammo limit increased to 300 or 400 like the dual SMG from Duke Nukem 64.
  • Grenade Launcher: 6 rounds if the weapon itself is picked up. 8 grenade rounds in a box. Max ammo for the Grenade launcher is 48. 6 x 8 = 48.
  • Railgun = 30 rounds.
  • Orge head = 90 rounds.
  • Maybe the Shuriken ether the same 99 or 132.
  • Sticky Bomb = 25

All of the rest ammo maxes stays. So what do you think?

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 26 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDustFalcon85, on 26 November 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

I didn't quite like some of the SW's weapon ammo max capacity. For example Uzi's 200 rounds limit. I think it could be better IMHO. Here's my wish list of the new ammo capacity if SW was brought over to the iOS

• Riotgun: 8 rounds if the weapon itself is picked up. 24 or 16 ammo pick up. Ammo max capacity 64 if w/ 16 ammo pick up or 72 max capacity if w/ 24 round pick up.
  • Uzi's ammo limit increased to 300 or 400 like the dual SMG from Duke Nukem 64.
  • Grenade Launcher: 6 rounds if the weapon itself is picked up. 8 grenade rounds in a box. Max ammo for the Grenade launcher is 48. 6 x 8 = 48.
  • Railgun = 30 rounds.
  • Orge head = 90 rounds.
  • Maybe the Shuriken ether the same 99 or 132.
  • Sticky Bomb = 25

All of the rest ammo maxes stays. So what do you think?

Well Lo Wang is somewhat scrawnier and a lighter build than Duke Nukem, so it makes sense that he's not able to carry as much stuff.

:P

I agree with you, the ammo limits were somewhat detrimental. But I think the game compensated for that by having LOTS of ammo dumps scattered throughout the levels, and it also encouraged you to use all of your weapons as opposed to just relying solely on what would inevitably have been the Uzis/Riotgun/RPG loadout.

View PostAchenar, on 26 November 2012 - 08:46 AM, said:

Well Lo Wang is somewhat scrawnier and a lighter build than Duke Nukem, so it makes sense that he's not able to carry as much stuff.

:P

I agree with you, the ammo limits were somewhat detrimental. But I think the game compensated for that by having LOTS of ammo dumps scattered throughout the levels, and it also encouraged you to use all of your weapons as opposed to just relying solely on what would inevitably have been the Uzis/Riotgun/RPG loadout.

EDIT 2: Yep. That just increases the chances of survival. You do not want to use explosives in tight small spaces just in case you ran out of shotgun shells & bullets. In retrospect I really liked to have those improved max ammo limits in Shadow Warrior back in 1997.

I also wish one more thing in the SW iOS: cheats!

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 26 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Cheats?

View PostHendricks266, on 26 November 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

Yep! Those. Either press the screen w/ 4 fingers on the screen to bring up the keyboard to type the cheats in. Or some other method to put them in. Also if any of cheats are activated, it'll disable achievements (if General Arcade decides to include them or not).

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDustFalcon85, on 26 November 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

EDIT 2: Yep. That just increases the chances of survival. You do not want to use explosives in tight small spaces just in case you ran out of shotgun shells & bullets.

So drop some sticky bombs or a gas bomb and run away.
Or drop a flash or smoke bomb and slash at the enemies with the sword in the confusion.

Shadow Warrior's ammo limit forces you to be creative with your weapons, which I think is a good thing. In Duke Nukem 3D's original maps, ammo isn't such an issue since you're never really forced into a situation where you have to rely on specific types of weapons.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 26 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

Personally I don't think it's a good idea to change game parameters, but maybe we can introduce additional game mode or additional skill with different weapon params.

User is offline   Lunick 

Finish it first :P

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

View PostLunick, on 26 November 2012 - 10:30 PM, said:

Finish it first :P

Should be painful theme for Duke Nukem community :P

This post has been edited by GeneralArcade: 26 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

User is offline   L2theKING 

Here's the APOGEE/3DRealms strategy:

Step 1: Re-release the classic on GOG.com
Step 2: Re-release the classic on IOS
Step 3: Hire a bunch of moders to Reboot the classic!
Step 4: ... ??? ...
Step 5: PROFIT!

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Here's the L2theKING strategy:

Step 1: Re-post old joke on duke 4net
Step 2: wait for response
Step 3: hope for best
Step 5: + REP

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Is there any word on what the pricing's going to be? Personally I'm not willing to pay any more than $3 for this. I think Doom on iOS goes for $5.50, however Doom is much, much more famous, and a far better game. Shadow on the other hand is kinda fun in small doses but overall it's fairly annoying with its confusing maze-like, full-of-keycards level design, and the weapons and enemies just don't sit right with me. They're not satisfying to use/kill at all.

User is offline   Lunick 

It will probably be 5 bucks. Their other FPS games go for a dollar but I see this game could sell at 5.

User is offline   Martin 

Going by the video, it looks like it plays really nicely. I never played Shadow Warrior. Won't be playing this version either, unfortunately. I don't have an iOS device. I'd certainly pick it up in the impossible scenario that it ever made it to PSN. What's the word on the PC version? Is there a source port like EDuke32? Can one make maps for it, etc? It looks like the engine itself is capable of slightly more than the Duke 3D engine. I've always liked the look of the game whenever I've seen it. Is it as good as Duke 3D?

View PostMr.Deviance, on 21 November 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

I tried doom on lots of platforms and I even own it on the SNES where I've endured the frustration of playing it with the snes gamepad and even managed to beat it.

You're the biggest gamepad hater on the site, yet you played through the entirety of Doom on a SNES pad? Why? Not even I would do that. Not to mention that, controls aside, the SNES version is just about the worst version ever sold. Why? I bet it was that big red cartridge that drew you in. Best version of Doom to look at when holding it in your hand, worst version to look at on TV and play.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMartin, on 29 November 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

What's the word on the PC version? Is there a source port like EDuke32? Can one make maps for it, etc? It looks like the engine itself is capable of slightly more than the Duke 3D engine. I've always liked the look of the game whenever I've seen it. Is it as good as Duke 3D?

Have you been living under a rock for the past 10 years or something?
http://bit.ly/SwtP6R

• Weaponized Autism

It looks like [the BUILD engine] is capable of slightly more than [the BUILD engine].

The game effects programmed manipulating the engine are more complex and developed, but as of the source code releases the engine was identical.

You're the biggest gamepad hater on the site, yet you played through the entirety of Doom on a SNES pad? Why? Not even I would do that. Not to mention that, controls aside, the SNES version is just about the worst version ever sold. Why? I bet it was that big red cartridge that drew you in. Best version of Doom to look at when holding it in your hand, worst version to look at on TV and play.

Because back when it came to snes I was in a position for a few months where my pc was broken and I didn't have one, so I filled my time playing and beating some of the best snes games ever made.
Among those games I also got Doom and as you say, it sucked ass compared to the pc version but back then the difference wasn't so frustrating because my expectations and knowledge of how games work was much lower than today.
And in my world, the nes, snes, genesis controllers are the only controllers that I ever liked due to the library of games that was meant to be played with them.
I do not like to play modern games with gamepads these days, especially the fps games.
I can play some third person games with a gamepad and racing games too even today and especially platformers.
But that's pretty much all that I play with the gamepads.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 30 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

User is offline   L2theKING 

View PostReaperMan, on 28 November 2012 - 09:35 PM, said:

Here's the L2theKING strategy:

Step 1: Re-post old joke on duke 4net
Step 2: wait for response
Step 3: hope for best
Step 5: + REP

LOL!!! :P You'r a funny guy!
I was'n aware that this joke have been done before... sorry! I'm not a "forum" kind of guy! I never been! But thx for your answer anyway!
It reminds me why I never liked posting stuff on forums! Forums are usually full of low life people such as you, ReaperMan!
I believe your life does'n mean mutch for anyone! Is'n it? Well just make us a favour and go hang yourself!.... :P

Haha... peace-out bro!

This post has been edited by L2theKING: 30 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

• Honored Donor

View PostL2theKING, on 30 November 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

I was'n aware that this joke have been done before... sorry!

First time I saw it was a few years ago on South Park. I think it was to do with underpants knomes or something like that.

Is it as good as Duke 3D?

It is widely accepted that Shadow Warrior isn't quite as good as Duke 3D. After Duke's success, 3D Realms decided to make the game a lot more Duke-like, which mostly resulted in the main character's (Lo Wang) personality and one-liners, and other immature jokes throughout the levels, such as one of the episode bosses being a giant sumo wrestler who attacks you with farts...

The art is slightly higher res, and there are some voxels here and there, however the colours are generally very dull and boring. Lots of muddy browns.
On the gameplay side, the game is harder than Duke 3D. The easiest enemy has an attack similar to the enforcer from Duke! They can easily cut you to shreds when in groups. I'd appreciate an easier main enemy. Some of the weapons are interesting, like the sticky bomb, however the rest are pretty standard and aren't that satisfying to use despite their reasonably cool alternate fire modes.

One of the biggest problems of shadow warrior is its level design. There are waaaayyyy too many "what the fuck do I do know" moments. The levels are fairly small, and to increase play time the map authors shamelessly made the levels linear-mazelike with heavy emphasis on finding keycards which tend to be hidden more than in Duke 3D. The levels also didn't have as much purpose as Duke 3D. In Duke there were readily recognisable locations like strip clubs, cinemas etc.. and there's a bit of that in Shadow Warrior, but not as much, and they don't make as effective use of their locations IMO.

There are some moderately cool new features like vehicles, turrets, flying carpets however TBH they're basically just gimmicks which sound good on paper but aren't all that fun in practise, at least how they were implemented.

In conclusion the game is ok but unlike Duke 3D there are dozens of things which you can look at and go "if I was making the game I would have done this differently", and those things ultimately add up and taint the playing experience. To this date I haven't been motivated to properly finish the game.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 30 November 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

Lots of muddy browns.

If you want browns you should check out the Blood palette.

Posted Image

• Glory To Motherland!

It is widely accepted

I am sorry, I will not allow you to make sweeping generalizations. I don't know how but I was able to overlook every critical point you brought up when I played the game.

• Weaponized Autism

It is widely accepted that Shadow Warrior isn't quite as good as Duke 3D.

After Duke's success, 3D Realms decided to make the game a lot more Duke-like, which mostly resulted in the main character's (Lo Wang) personality and one-liners

On the gameplay side, the game is harder than Duke 3D.

The levels also didn't have as much purpose as Duke 3D. In Duke there were readily recognisable locations like strip clubs, cinemas etc.. and there's a bit of that in Shadow Warrior, but not as much, and they don't make as effective use of their locations IMO.

It sounds like SW either tries too hard to be Duke 3D or isn't enough like Duke 3D. I personally loved the forest levels, carryovers from the older SW style, even if they were not distinctive setpieces. Even though the ninjas' uzis are like enforcers' chainguns, they are still a snap to dispatch. A tap of the sword, riotgun, rocket launcher, grenade launcher, sticky bomb, railgun, and Guardian head (mode 3) will take them out and in some cases clear out the room.

In conclusion the game is ok but unlike Duke 3D there are dozens of things which you can look at and go "if I was making the game I would have done this differently", and those things ultimately add up and taint the playing experience.

I can list things I would do differently with Duke 3D too.

For one, the design of CON really makes the enemies shallow. They are unilaterally focused on the player and are limited to a specific list of predefined actions.

Half of Duke's weapons are next to useless in single player combat. Tripbombs, freezer, expander, pipebombs [though useful for cracks and environment], pistol [to a degree], mighty foot. At least SW's sword one-hits ninjas. The only useless weapon in SW are the shurikens unless you are trying to hit a switch or blow up barrels.

• Honored Donor

View PostAchenar, on 01 December 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

I am sorry, I will not allow you to make sweeping generalizations. I don't know how but I was able to overlook every critical point you brought up when I played the game.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked the Duke community was bigger than the Shadow Warrior community, and there have been a dozen or so other Duke games made over the years, including one released just last year, while the number of other Shadow Warrior games is approximately equal to 0. They didn't even commercial release SW's expansion packs. So although my comments on things like level design are fairly subjective, me saying "it is generally accepted that Duke is a better game" (that doesn't mean everyone thinks it's better, i.e more fun), then I can because that is what the evidence suggests.

Although I admit that part of Duke's continuing success is through mods that are harder to do with SW.

View PostHendricks266, on 01 December 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

For one, the design of CON really makes the enemies shallow. They are unilaterally focused on the player and are limited to a specific list of predefined actions.

Half of Duke's weapons are next to useless in single player combat. Tripbombs, freezer, expander, pipebombs [though useful for cracks and environment], pistol [to a degree], mighty foot. At least SW's sword one-hits ninjas. The only useless weapon in SW are the shurikens unless you are trying to hit a switch or blow up barrels.

Well that con thing is kind of a limitation instead of a fully intentional gameplay feature. IMO Duke's levels are more fun and memorable than SW's. I believe that when Duke was being made, there were several limitations such as only basic game effects, and no 3D level design, and this forced the mappers to be creative in their map design resulting in higher quality work to some degree. However, by the time Shadow Warrior came around, there was ROR and some extremely complex effects and scripted events compared to Duke, and in the mapper's attempts to build gameplay around these effects they lost some of their creativity that limitation normally inspires.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostL2theKING, on 30 November 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

I'm not a "forum" kind of guy! I never been!

Said the guy on a forum.

Anyhow I like Shadow Warrior, I remember when I first played it I thought it was even better than Duke 3D because of all the extra violence and weird stuff like heads for weapons and quishy hearts.

The Samurai sword was cool too I'd never really seen anything like that before, even though the enemys split apart the wrong way it was still fun.

Never found a problem with the level design, I liked the Japanese buildings and card hunting, it also had cool stuff like controlling an rc car kind of like the one in DNF.

Going up that mountain through the clouds was really cool at the time. I thought the bosses were terrible and looked kind of crap, but the rest of the enemys were good.

But for some reason I never really went back to it, unlike Duke 3D, it's great but it doesn't have that magic.

I'd like to see a first person game with a sword like that where you can cut people to pieces real time as in swipe the leg it comes off, but not like some wii trash with motion controls.

A shadow warrior sequel with more ninja skills could be great. I wonder if I still have the giant box I bought it in? It was the first pc game I ever bought, Duke was given to me.

I would never play a game like Shadow Warrior on a phone. Touch and motion controls for games can burn in hades.

This post has been edited by Ronan: 01 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

User is offline   termit 

• General Arcade

This post has been edited by GeneralArcade: 08 December 2012 - 01:44 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options