Duke4.net Forums: PLEASE READ; help needed - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PLEASE READ; help needed  "Discussion about the recent announcement"

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

The recent (and ongoing, to some extent) forum problems are mainly due to running a slightly out-of-date version of the IPB forum software that's driving the boards here at Duke4.net. This website does not presently have an IPB license that would allow us to keep up-to-date with the very latest developments and security fixes. This is a very unforunate situation that I hope to address sooner than later. As you may know, the Duke4.net forums, Duke4.org file hosting services, all the Duke4.net hosted sites, the HRP website, SVN repositories, all run from a dedicated server that I've been making available to the community free of charge for the past few years. I do not receive any advertising of affiliation revenue of any kind; getting the forum software situation completely regularized would mean purchasing a $175 license from IPB + $25 theme (please see: http://www.invisionpower.com/buy/), as well as a $25/month recurring cost for the future. I'm willing to take care of the recurring cost in the future, but $200 upfront is not something I can afford right now (and other Duke4.net staff members are probably even less in a position where they would be able to help). I also do not wish to keep running vulnerable or illegal software on this server any longer than strictly necessary.

For all the reasons above I would like to ask for contributions; if every active member of this forum were to chip in $2, we'd have this taken care of in no time. I give you my word that the money will go directly from my paypal account to the purchase of a legitimate IPB license and of the theme we use as a base. Please navigate to the following link if you'd like to help:

http://duke4forums.c...-forum-sw-theme

I apologize to have to ask for this; I hope we can stay clear of such problems in the future. Sorry for letting you guys down.

Thanks,
- Plagman

This was the original announcement text from TerminX about the problems we're having:

Recently we were hit with a previously unknown exploit against our forum software.

The issue manifested as the characters "/>" being added after each smiley when editing a post. Due to the security setup on our server, the exploit looks to have been unable to do whatever it was intended to do.

Unfortunately, when investigating this issue we lost about 12 hours worth of posts. Since the issue initially looked to be caused by the backend software on the server, during our investigation I had tried to rebuild all forum posts to see if the issue resolved itself. This caused every post on the forum to have the same "smiley problem" and required a restoration from our last backup to correct, hence the loss of 12 hours worth of content.

The issue is resolved for now and certain behind the scenes features have been disabled to prevent a re-occurrence of the problem, but we will probably need to move forward with a new version of the forum software (and therefore new theme, since the one we made and are using now isn't compatible anymore) sooner rather than later.

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

2 bucks isnt alot to ask for and the first chance I get, I'll send a 5 spot. We need to save this site!

Next time I'm at a cashpoint I'll have a look at my bank balance and see how much I can donate.

User is offline   Lunick 

Thanks Sam!

You contributed $2.50 to Duke4.net forum SW + theme

:P

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I have tried contributing twice now, and I get this error message from PayPal:

We are sorry, we are experiencing temporary difficulties. Please try again later. If this error occurred while making a payment, avoid duplicate payments by checking your Account Overview before resending a payment.

For some browsers, this problem can be resolved by clearing or deleting cookies.

Message 3005

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I've contributed. I figure its for a worthy cause :P

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 19 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

Well, you've got what I had rattling around. Believe it or not, I actually have to spend money bacause if I have more than a certain amount the government stops paying me... So your tax dollars now pay for Duke4.net

User is offline   Diaz 

+1. :P

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Everyone who chipped in so far kicks ass. I had to abruptly leave last night when I was talking to Plagman about getting a license, so I wasn't aware of the thing on ChipIn until now. To see it already more than halfway funded really warms the cockles. This is a really cool community and the benefits of a current license will be great for us.

Also, a correction: the recurring cost for IPB is every 6 months versus every month and I think I can manage that myself (Plagman already pays for this server which is more than I could ask for anyway).

User is offline   CruX 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 18 November 2012 - 10:39 PM, said:

I have tried contributing twice now, and I get this error message from PayPal:

This. Would signing up for paypal take care of it?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

-sob story removed-

edit: never mind. i dug through the ashtray in my car and came up with $3 in change. PM a mailing address and I'll send it in.

This post has been edited by Forge: 19 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I thought I had a lot more in my PayPal balance, it appears I didn't and I will get it topped up soon with donations from my Minecraft server/add my own funds to it to meet the quota by the end of the week if need be.
So you will have to do with $2.51 in the time being, lol

I did my little part to help. Glad to help.

User is offline   Forge 

@Cody. I do apologize for offending you. I don't have a paypal account, and even if I did I have no way of depositing money into it, unless they'll take my pocket change. I was serious with my offer and it's the best I can do atm. Sorry it isn't good enough for you.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 19 November 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

@Cody. I do apologize for offending you. I don't have a paypal account, and even if I did I have no way of depositing money into it, unless they'll take my pocket change. I was serious with my offer and it's the best I can do atm. Sorry it isn't good enough for you.

Forge I'll contribute for you. You've done a lot of map reviews for me and I appreciate your time. So a donation will be made in your name to the Jelly of the month club. I mean to the Support the Eduke Forums Community =)

User is offline   Forge 

@Paul

many thanks. i do deeply appreciate the sacrifice on my behalf

Didn't know the topic was open post when I donated last night [$6], so just letting you know plagman. o.o

View PostKristian Joensen, on 19 November 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

I did my little part to help. Glad to help.

From the Paypal receipt:

Hello Kristian Joensen,

You sent a payment of $82.00 USD to Pierre-Loup GRIFFAIS

User is offline   Sangman 

82 dollars? Holy shit.

User is offline   Paul B 

Receipt ID be3174cd5a95b778
Paid By: Paul Bolduc & Forge
For: Duke4.net forum SW + theme
Method: PayPal
Total: $20.00

I didn't comment when i donated so the break down of my donation was intended to be: $10.00 from me and $10.00s from Forge.

User is offline   Kathy 

Chipin appears to be down...

Btw, why don't you use Duke4.net donations? I thought they were made for situations like this one.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 19 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

Seeing as we're doing the whole ePéñís "I donated this much..." thing;¹

ChipIn Event Title:Duke4.net forum SW + theme
ChipIn Event Organizer:Pierre-Loup Griffais
Transaction ID:#
Contribution Amount:
$50.00 Contribution Date:November 19, 2012 10:55 AM UTC

Based on the exchange rate, it was only £32 which was good, because my bank balance ended in 7, now it ends in 5 it is easier to do math with.

¹This is a joke.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 19 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostBurnett, on 19 November 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Chipin appears to be down...

Its all the people flooding to make their donations to save the eduke forums webpage that has probably crashed chipin =P Chipin is small fries compared to the Duke.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 19 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostPaul B, on 19 November 2012 - 10:49 AM, said:

Receipt ID be3174cd5a95b778
Paid By: Paul Bolduc & Forge
For: Duke4.net forum SW + theme
Method: PayPal
Total: $20.00

I didn't comment when i donated so the break down of my donation was intended to be: $10.00 from me and $10.00s from Forge.

$10 in my name. I'm indebted to you sir.

User is offline   Diaz 

Seeing how much people has donated, the $200 must have already been surpassed - maybe that's why the page won't work?

I couldn't donate much ($38) due to end of the month being near and money running unusually low, but if you guys need anything from now on I'll be glad to help - I always feel like I'm asking for your effort, for things to be added to the engine, without actually helping.

This post has been edited by Diaz: 19 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Guys, thanks a ton. Some of you donated a lot more than reasonable. You guys are crazy. If anyone wants a cool title or something like that just PM TerminX or me. I just got the license stuff straightened out and TX is looking at setting it up.

Pierre-Loup Griffais,

Your payment has been received successfully and details are below.

Invoice #415727 - IPS Community Suite, IP.Board, IP.Downloads, IP.Chat: 5 User Limit

Item Description Unit Price Qty Total Price
IPS Community Suite $100.00 1 $100.00
IP.Board $75.00 1 $75.00
IP.Downloads $50.00 1 $50.00
IP.Chat: 5 User Limit $0.00 1 $0.00
Subtotal $225.00
5% bundle discount -$11.25
Total $213.75

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Will donate $10 today.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

And all we ask in return is that polymer and the multiplayer are finished.

Just kidding, take your time.

But not too much time. Posted Image

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMicky C, on 19 November 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

And all we ask in return is that polymer and the multiplayer are finished.

Just kidding, take your time.

But not too much time. Posted Image

Couldn't have said it better myself! I mean this isn't Duke Nukem Forever.. *** In my best Duke Impersonation Voice *** Hmmm.... I'm tired of playing by myself. =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 19 November 2012 - 03:51 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostForge, on 19 November 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

$10 in my name. I'm indebted to you sir.

No worries Forge all I ask is that you just keep playing my new maps! Sucker! HAHA! =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 19 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options