Duke4.net Forums: Would mods have saved the game? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would mods have saved the game?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The frustrating thing is that since they're shutting down mods left, right and centre, they would be able to release games on a fairly regular basis that are at least as good as the mods they are shutting down, however unfortunately neither of those two criteria are met, which makes the Duke devs giant douches in this regard.

User is offline   Jblade 

I think you can count the high-profile games with mod dev kits on one hand now (Infact I can't actually think of any apart from Skyrim) it might not be as cut and dry as 'THEY HATE THE FANS' due to the fact that most games are using other people's engines. It does suck but ultimately, with the amount of effort you'd need to make a decent mod than you might as well just make your own game anyway.

This post has been edited by James: 23 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

" it might not be as cut and dry as 'THEY HATE THE FANS' due to the fact that most games are using other people's engines."

That excuse doesn't work for Unreal Engine games as Epic explicitly allows their licensees to distribute tools.

User is offline   Hank 

deleted - cleaning up my mess - the post was an incorrect reply by me

This post has been edited by Hank: 24 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   Metalwolf 

"Would mods have saved the game?"

Yes, they would have. People would have been edited out the bad 'You're fucked' line in the hive and would have changed Duke's voice to make it sound deeper and grittier. They would have changed Las Vegas to nighttime and probably added Gus back in. People would be looking for periodic mod updates and trying out different game modes, and thus have a reason to hold onto this game after the first few playthroughs.

In this day and age, a game without mods tends to die. Mods keep people interested and gives them a break from the main campaign so they don't get sick of it. I know I have touched DNF in months, but that is because there is nothing left in it that I'm interested in. I would sell my copy but I don't know how much it would be worth anymore, or even worth anything. I had wanted to mod this game, but since that is not allowed, why am I even holding on to it?

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 23 November 2012 - 05:29 AM, said:

" it might not be as cut and dry as 'THEY HATE THE FANS' due to the fact that most games are using other people's engines."

That excuse doesn't work for Unreal Engine games as Epic explicitly allows their licensees to distribute tools.

I thought they didn't? or they weren't allowed to due to modifications? Maybe then it's a case of they don't want to spend the money/man-power getting their tools together in a state fit for public use. Still sucks, but understandable.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostJames, on 27 November 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

I thought they didn't? or they weren't allowed to due to modifications? Maybe then it's a case of they don't want to spend the money/man-power getting their tools together in a state fit for public use. Still sucks, but understandable.

Randy was very wishy washy on the issue the whole time, and many of the mods on Gearbox made it clear their reasoning had nothing to do with legalities.

They did screw the fanbase, and it's fact.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yes, the fans felt cheated, and they have a right to feel that way.

When people buy a game like Duke Nukem 3D, they're not just buying the game, they're buying every user created map, mod, and TC that is created ever! Content THOUSANDS of times bigger than the original game. So when I and probably a fair few other people bought the game, we expected that we would continue to get fan content even after the game was finished, and that was part of the 'contract' when we bought the game. However all of that was cut out and in fact contrary to what Randy led us to believe, all we ended up paying for was a mediocre single player campaign good for maybe 2 play throughs. Even if the base game was crap we would still have potential access to better content.

So when Randy lied about mod tools and chose not to release them, he effectively cut out potentially 99% of what we were thinking we were paying for. Who wouldn't be pissed? All so they could made a few extra bucks on DLC sales...

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You were a fool to even believe them for a second.

User is offline   Hank 

How does it go?

Fool me once - shame on you
Fool me twice - shame on me

Yes, I was fooled good. I trusted Randy. but hey ... life goes on, and life is good without DNF

This post has been edited by Hank: 04 December 2012 - 06:11 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Randy never did say they were releasing mod tools. He kept saying "Nnnn--yyyeeaah we'll see what happens. Anything can happen." Obviously they were never going to release them and didn't want to tick off the fanbase so they spouted a bunch of PR talk. And then they tried to win us over with Dedicated Servers....dedicated servers with no console, no admin control of any kind, and you can't even play on your own server because you can't launch the game twice. I'll never buy another Gearbox game again now that I know who they really are.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 19 November 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

It's exactly like Rellik says. Tell me one broken piece of shit people mod for. Let's face it, modding for a modern game is hard. Who would put in the effort?

Sonic 06. (Yeah, I know, it's an Xbox 360 game, but, the game's logic is stored in encrypted LUA files, so those with hacked XBoxes can mod it easily as using a tool to decrypt them and editing them as text files, and re-encrypting with said tool. Yes, there is a modding community for this game dedicated to fixing all of the broken crap despite how terrible the raw game is.)

Resident Evil 4 PC. (Horrid PC port, salvaged by mods that fix Mouse/Keyboard play, among many other things.)

Final Fantasy 7 PC (Another horrid, incredibly unstable port. Very active modding community still, and there's now even a custom renderer for it, along with unofficial patches fixing almost everything wrong with the port to make the game stable even on Windows Vista and 7. There's also a high resolution pack being made for it as well.)

So, there's three. I could probably find more if I dug deeper.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 06 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

User is offline   Bloodshot 

^ FF7PC was an absolute shit port and the modding community basically fixed everything wrong with it, and added a bunch of enhancements too.

Some of the people there were really serious about it, with projects dedicated entirely to hex editing just to reconstruct the HUD, others redoing arena textures and stuff like that

PSX
Posted Image

PC
Posted Image

PSX
Posted Image

PC
Posted Image

I also heard that that terrible old Jurassic Park game Tresspasser had a community that tried to fix as much as they could and apparently people still make levels for it

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 06 February 2013 - 06:11 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

That's a bit off. Captain Awesome was initially talking about mods not being able to rescue shit games. FFVII is arguably the best game ever so even if the PC version is technically broken, it's still bound to have an active community of modders seeking to fix it. DNF's problems were not merely technical in nature.

User is offline   Bloodshot 

I suppose that is true, but Trespasser was pretty much on all accounts a shit game so that kinda fits the bill at least

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 07 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

In none of these cases, even Trespasser, does it count. The games weren't saved in any manner.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Not all of DNF's problems were technical, but the game had potential. There was a solid foundation there if you power washed the feces off it.

They should have spent 14 years building a swanky bistro but built a Burger King. The foundation could hold all those people, but who the fuck wants to eat at a Burger King? At least you could convert it to a Wendy's by remodeling it.

Sonic '06 and Tresspasser were like the soup kitchens at Auschwitz. There's literally nothing you could do to improve those after the fact. I mean, thousands of Jews died there. Those games are literally worse than Hitler and just like the Holocaust, they are a constant reminder of humanity's utter moral failure.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 07 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Post486DX2, on 07 February 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

They should have spent 14 years building a swanky bistro but built a Burger King. The foundation could hold all those people, but who the fuck wants to eat at a Burger King? At least you could convert it to a Wendy's by remodeling it.

I find your metaphor insulting sir. I for one fucking love Burger King and I will eat their food like it's the greatest food on Earth.

Son of a bitch. Just had to go and piss me off with that didn't you? I oughta... I OUGHTA! I tell ya...

Guy... Sheesh...

User is offline   coheed82 

View PostThe Big Cheese, on 13 November 2012 - 05:52 AM, said:

It's absolutely too late to do that though. For all the time and effort put into making it and encouraging people to use it, the next Duke game wouldn't be far off and for all we know might use a vanilla UDK.

It's a shame.
i stayed away from these forums and the game itself for ages after i well and truly thrashed the game for the life of it.
I come back now and still there's no hope for a DNF editor? ...
ok its probably too late for it now, but Gearbox should release one for the new upcoming duke game that randy* did touch on somewhat. Let's look at the facts here. 3DR made Duke Nukem 3d. they also made sure to get an editor out there so we can make our own maps, which by the way has taken off really well and people hold that in high regard, and still solid duke3d maps are being made to this day! Now DNF was a difficult beast, with all the trouble getting it made and taking so long and all that the editor idea was scrapped somewhere along the line, maybe before gearbox got it? { if afterwards i'll be pissed}. Now the new duke* Randy & the guys have no excuse as to why they Can't put an editor out for the next duke, especially since they took on the brand. and furthermore have the idea of making a New* duke game. it's all on them from start to finish, and they can do this one thing right by giving us an editor.. which for all their efforts this one fact im about to say is true (at least to me). " All the time and effort devs spend to make a game' at the end of the day once we get it.. once we've played it over again and again' We the fans* will always want MORE.. and with an editor we can create what we want how we want it, and spend 5 years making it if we so choose.."

I for one really wanted a DNF editor and its rediculous that we dont have one i admit. However, with a new duke game in this day & age we really should get what we want with this.. After all, it makes the lifespan of the game last another 10 years+.. just look @ Duke Nukem 3d... I will be truly dissapointed in gearbox if they cannot professionally deliver us an editor for the next Duke game.

at the moment im making a world mod for Skyrim* .. and those of you who play the mods know there's life to be had in a game thats supported by it's devs after release!! - here's the LINK to my mod http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26398

View PostCommando Nukem, on 14 February 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

[/size]

I find your metaphor insulting sir. I for one fucking love Burger King and I will eat their food like it's the greatest food on Earth.

Son of a bitch. Just had to go and piss me off with that didn't you? I oughta... I OUGHTA! I tell ya...

Guy... Sheesh...

You know what? FUCK THEM for ruining the BK Big Fish. It used to be really big. Then it got really small. Now it's really greasy and gross.

And fuck Wendy's for only offering their superior Fish Sandwich a few months out of the year!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Every Burger King I've ever been to has been staffed by people who couldn't tie their shoes and the food tastes like microwaved shit. It used to be good, but now I'd rather go to McDonalds or go to Food Lion and buy a Kid Cuisine, which is fucking mindboggling.

McDonald's? Kid Cuisine? Ewww! And what the fuck is a "Food Lion?"

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View Post486DX2, on 17 February 2013 - 06:59 AM, said:

McDonald's? Kid Cuisine? Ewww! And what the fuck is a "Food Lion?"

A ghetto Winn Dixie.

As for me. I like Hardee's. Everyone hates Hardee's. Hardee's is awesome. Except for their ad campaign.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 17 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Chick-Fil-A FTW

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostAchenar, on 17 February 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

A ghetto Winn Dixie.

As for me. I like Hardee's. Everyone hates Hardee's. Hardee's is awesome. Except for their ad campaign.

Hahahaha, that is the perfect description of Food Lion. And Hardee's is indeed the shit. Nothing better than getting fried chicken and cheeseburgers at the same time.

View PostRadar, on 17 February 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Chick-Fil-A FTW

Maybe if you support zealots.

You Southerners get all the good fast food. And all the weirdest supermarket names.

We have Waldbaums. Even our carrots are owned by Jews.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 17 February 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

Maybe if you support zealots.

They could call themselves Hitler Chicken for all I care, the food is still good.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's not better than the old dirty chinese restaurant beside it.

Never had Chick Fil-A. Never will now.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's over-rated hokey mall food. You're not missing anything. Going to Chick-Fil-A is stupid when Popeyes and Bojangles exist.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options