Duke4.net Forums: Would mods have saved the game? - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Would mods have saved the game?

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

None of you sad sacks has ever been to a Wendy's in your lives?

Burger King? Honestly?

Captain Awesome I voted you up as that is the first sensible thing I've ever seen you say! :P

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Wendy's rules. And cheers. I might be full of shit about just about everything there is, but I do know my food.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

When it comes to food I'm a sucker for good Italian. Or even decent Italian. Give me a dish of pasta and smother it with some garlic sauce and cheese and I'll probably eat it.

User is offline   Saiyuki234 

i know im not a mod, but can we get back on topic?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

This topic was irrelevant from the moment it was posted.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

Italian food is the best. As a NYgger, I eat that shit more than once a week.

This post has been edited by 486DX2: 18 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View Post486DX2, on 18 February 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Italian food is the best. As a NYgger, I eat that shit more than once a week.

I don't see how anyone can't, New York or not.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostTea Monster, on 17 February 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

None of you sad sacks has ever been to a Wendy's in your lives?

Wooo!! Wendy's! Thank you God for the Baconator.

User is offline   Hank 

I love Druxys Deli. Whatever you fell like you'll get.

User is offline   Alithinos 

It would still get bad reviews and wouldn't be so successful commercially,because lots of people including all critics judge a game on its vanilla status.
But for us,Duke fans it would make the game much better.

The old graphics ? Would be far better,the first thing that would be fixed actually.
Weapon carry limit ? Fixed.
Re-balancing of weapons so they have a punch ? Fixed
Jetpack in the single player levels too ? Fixed
No secret areas ? Modders would customize the existing maps to fix it,let alone the new maps that would come designed for having secrets from the get go.
Most technical problems ? Fixed.

If Gearbox had released some good editor,the game would now still have people playing it and working on things for it.
Of course there are limitations,as there are for every modable game,but we have seen what the Duke community is capable of.
Look how much work has been done for DN3D.

User is offline   Metalwolf 

Arby's tastes like someone threw up in the burger bun, but that might be the secret sauce I'm tasting. :P

And McDonald's makes the best Angus Burger with Swiss Cheese and Mushrooms. It's the classiest MickyDee's fare I know.

@Alithino,
Gearbox won't let anyone create an Editor without it getting their panties in a bunch. Even if it would save the game, I'm guessing they don't want people hanging onto an 'old game' when they are supposed to be hungering for a new game and DLCs. I hate it, but I think that's what's going to happen unless they change their minds.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View Postcoheed82, on 15 February 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

.. once we've played it over again and again' We the fans* will always want MORE.. and with an editor we can create what we want how we want it, and spend 5 years making it if we so choose.."

i hate to burst your bubble, but an editor released with the next duke game (if there is a next duke game) is probably unlikely.

you said it yourself. the fans will want more and it's all about the almighty dollar.

if the fans can't make their own levels then they're "forced" to spend $ to get official released addons

User is offline   Kathy 

If fans can't make their own levels then screw the official ones. Or even screw the game itself.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 07 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostCathy, on 07 March 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

If fans can't make their own levels then screw the official ones. Or even screw the game itself.

pretty much. DNF is a prime example for saying "screw this game"

i couldn't even force myself to finish the demo when it came out it was so bad, let alone purchase the game when i found out there was no editor released with it

User is offline   Loke 

View PostForge, on 07 March 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

i couldn't even force myself to finish the demo when it came out it was so bad

The demo sucked. The full version is better.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Not really, the demo is half of the good parts of the game. The only problem is there are like four good parts out of fifty shitty ones.

User is offline   Kathy 

Did demo have a turd?

And demo was better graphically. Oh, Gearbox...

View PostCathy, on 07 March 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

Did demo have a turd?

And demo was better graphically. Oh, Gearbox...

Aww you found my topic. :angry:
Man looking back to it and to my fucking implication towards this, I feel like kicking my own ass right now.
I lost quite a few hours with that topic and with those gifs.
I remember there was a guy that was so shocked at the difference between the graphics of the demo and the full game in my gifs, that he even went as far as to imply that I might have shopped those pics lol...
That's exactly the type of shock everybody had and now Gearbox repeated this same shit with Aliens: Colonial Marines as if this DNF shit didn't even take place and all was already forgotten.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 08 March 2013 - 09:39 PM

User is offline   uh . . . . 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 08 March 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

Aww you found my topic. :angry:
Man looking back to it and to my fucking implication towards this, I feel like kicking my own ass right now.
I lost quite a few hours with that topic and with those gifs.
I remember there was a guy that was so shocked at the difference between the graphics of the demo and the full game in my gifs, that he even went as far as to imply that I might have shopped those pics lol...
That's exactly the type of shock everybody had and now Gearbox repeated this same shit with Aliens: Colonial Marines as if this DNF shit didn't even take place and all was already forgotten.

Was there ever a reason given as to why the final version ended up like it did?

User is offline   Hank 

View Postuh . . . ., on 09 March 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

Was there ever a reason given as to why the final version ended up like it did?

I don't know of an official explanation. This goes back years.

Here is a German site with min/max settings. I never was into those details of the game.
http://www.pcgames.d...Details-827496/
when you borrow stuff from the Demo, the model's skin is very good.
Now, since we can't officially open DNF, what you see before/after may be a simple low game setting or a true blue less quality.

In other words, if Gearbox would have issued mod tools, this would not have been an issue, because this is fixable. But now, it looks like the shit that hit the fan years ago, is still being digged out and regurgitated.

This post has been edited by Hank: 09 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

User is offline   DaveyDoomsday 

• Interceptor PR

Do I think mod tools would have saved DNF? I don't know.

Would mod tools have been the right thing to do? Abso-fucking-lutley.

I'm of the belief that no game is perfect, and nobody should be of the inclination that, "there is nothing that should be improved or changed about our game, everrr!"

That's part of the reason why we're shipping Rise of the Triad with mod tools. If you don't like the way we've designed one of our weapons or the layout of a level? Change it! Don't like that Fresch face on Tarradino (Mr. Deviance)? Change it! Want to play as Duke in multiplayer? DO IT.

The other reason is, longevity!

It's no secret that games that allow for modding have vastly increased longevity than games that don't. Why do you think people still play Morrowind and Doom?! Mods. Did Quake 3 arena start out as Quake Live? Hell no. It took years of modding for it to become an eSports classic.

Most of the level designers on Fallout: New Vegas were Fallout 3 modders that Obsidian hired. Hell, our lead level designer on ROTT '13 was the guy who did the Return of the Triad TC. Modders are what keep games alive. Do I even have to mention what DayZ did for Arma II and Bohemia Interactive? Let alone Dean Hall himself? Garry's Mod has sold close to 2 million copies. The list goes on and on.

Would mods have saved Duke Forever? I don't know. But I can tell you one thing. If DNF had mod tools you know damn well a lot of us would be playing it right now.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Why would Gearbox want longevity? You are supposed to forget about DNF and buy more games.

Besides publishers love to sell DLCs that are just some new skins or increase the player speed by 10%. Not something you would be interested if you could use mods...

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

You're good at slipping in mini advertisements Dave Oshry. Very very clever...

OH! I should say something relevant to the topic's question... Um, yes it would have even though I still like the game as it is...

• Interceptor PR

View PostSpirrwell, on 17 March 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

You're good at slipping in mini advertisements Dave Oshry. Very very clever...

:angry:

And in reply to the previous comment. It's a trade-off.

You can be money hungry like EA and not let people mod your games and charge for DLC and get RICH.

Or you can take a cut in profits but be held up on a pedestal by the gaming community like CDProjekt/GOG.

Personally, I'd kill for CDProjekt's reputation. They've done everything right AND put out fantastic games. At the end of the day they will make less money than EA but they've earned the respect of the gaming community and do more for the games space as a whole.

This post has been edited by DaveyDoomsday: 17 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

But Gearbox is nothing but angry for money. We know that.

User is offline   ---- 

Don't forget that the profits from sold Arma II copies due to DayZ probably surpassed the money that 4 or 5 DLCs could have brought them.

It was in the Steam top 10 for months now. And in the beginning of DayZ the sales increased by a factor of five.

Additionally Arma 3 (the Alpha) was the top seller on Steam right before the new Tomb Raider when the latter got released but had to settle for the #2 spot. I highly assume that it comes from the popularity the game gained through mods.

ACM on the other hand left the Steam top 100 (!!!) in less than 4 weeks after release although it was heavily advertised and is still there with a banner on the fron page under "PC games".

It all depends what you want. Fast money through DLC which can be calculated to some degree or a long life game that gives you profits over a longer period of time but aren't a sure thing.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 19 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

They fail to realize that people who play mods will gladly pay for DLC (as long as it's not shitty slapped together crap.)

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 19 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

• Interceptor PR

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 19 March 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

They fail to realize that people who play mods will gladly pay for DLC (as long as it's not shitty slapped together crap.)

Yep. People who mod and use mods are generally enthusiast PC gamers with disposable income.

I would certainly love to see mods and TCs made for DNF 2011. Since its really a beefed up version of the Unreal Engine 2, there lots of features modders could take advantage of.... Okay, so I'm guilty of wishful thinking. One of the reasons why I was looking forward to DNF was because it was using the engine used by Unreal 2, which was extremely flawed yet supported beautifully detailed and enormous planetary environments. I want to see a modder make massive levels a la Deus Ex and Unreal Gold that put the retail product to shame. I want to see a modder find new ways to improve the facial graphics and the enemy A.I., and also find a way to expand upon the 98/01 DNF features into the DNF 2011 engine... I know I'm not realistic, I know you've heard this all already, but I think fans are entitled to mod the DNF we've got. I'm just really confused why Randy thinks that allowing fans to mod DNF is a liability... unless he's afraid that fans might come across compromising files within the game code?

...Nah.

Another thing that might've saved DNF would have been to stick to the original story rather than patch a story at the last minute with writers who don't understand Duke Nukem lore.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostJimmy, on 19 March 2013 - 03:00 PM, said:

They fail to realize that people who play mods will gladly pay for DLC

*cough*Duke it out in DC*cough*Duke Caribbean: Life's a beach*cough*

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 May 2013 - 01:39 AM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options