Duke4.net Forums: Pc Dnf Vs 360 Dnf - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pc Dnf Vs 360 Dnf

I bought my first PC for Duke 3D (2nd hand £600 in 1996 486 dx). I have currently an (almost) equally lame gaming rig now (2ghz athlon 6600GT). I play only CS:S on it. I play modern games on my 360 and crave a keyboard and mouse for online shooters as this is THE only real way to play an FPS. Not only is the control MUCH more responsive but the immersion is increased a lot also. Pads are so clumsy to aim with and when you're sitting on your sofa away from the monitor, your perception is removed from the game world.

I can't think why MS didn't incorporate keyboard/mouse controls for the 360. The 3rd party adapter does not work with all games and the games it does work with have MEGA delay.

Anyway I seem to be blabbering on so I'll get to my point. I'm buying a new PC as soon as DN4 (eat that Mr. Fibbles) goes gold for the sole reason of playing Duke Nukem Forever as it is intended, with the mouse.

I'm glad its going to be out on the 360, I'll be buying both versions (so I can play you guys on the forums with either platform as some of you are console only).

That's the thing with PC gaming, you pay extra but can feel superior to the console guys (only tech wise of course :) )

User is offline   godlike 

Consoles suffer not only from the keyboard/mouse absence but from their whole phylosophy in general. Consoles are mainly for kids, If you are looking for something more sophisticated PC is the only way.

Actually I dont think that PC gaming is thaaat expensive. I mean that everyone owns a PC ether way but you have to give some money for the gaming components. And the games in PC cost less than the consoles.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I was trying to figure out why you called me out. . .then I laughed (and then my computer froze).

I'm a computer gamer. I never really owned a console and one of my first games was Duke3D (I think that might have been MY first personal game). When DNF goes gold, I'll be picking it up and I will play it through and through. Then I'll consider multiplayer.

Also, I know it is possible to do 360 vs PC multiplayer. . .a short list of games have done it thus far. There is something to ask George about at 3DR.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Ive got an Xbox 360 but i do love PC gaming.
Im going to save and buy a new PC January next year =]
I only got a 360 cause The Dukenator talked me into it (GTA IV, Duke XBLA)

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I can't decide whether to buy a new PC when DNF comes out or just get the game on 360. I'll probably buy DNF for 360 first and then buy a new PC and a PC version of DNF later on.

NUKEMDAVE, on Sep 2 2008, 10:00 AM, said:

I can't decide whether to buy a new PC when DNF comes out or just get the game on 360. I'll probably buy DNF for 360 first and then buy a new PC and a PC version of DNF later on.

Just keep your xbox, if it won't bother you that you're using the gamepad then why get a new PC just for Duke?

I'm only getting one cos I've waited for so long to upgrade. If only they had of told us earlier they had restarted, I wouldn't have waited for getting a PC. I guessed at the time and Joe told me I was wrong.

User is offline   rockmx8 

NUKEMDAVE, on Sep 2 2008, 05:00 AM, said:

Actually dude it'll be fine on 360, get it for PC if you need to later. I am planning on getting a 360 and a PS3 along with their own versions for DNF. So I can see what's the difference in qualities.

This post has been edited by rockmx8: 02 September 2008 - 02:00 PM

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

Xbox 360 will have no modsupport, that's a downside. On the plus-side, you know that it will run the same for every Xbox 360 user.

In the case of crossplatform multiplayer, PC players will have the edge. That's is a fact that can't be changed, mouse & keyboard slays pad.

peoplessi, on Sep 3 2008, 02:35 AM, said:

In the case of crossplatform multiplayer, PC players will have the edge. That's is a fact that can't be changed, mouse & keyboard slays pad.

When Microsoft set up cross platform play with PC & 360 its done in such a way as to make it more balanced to outweigh the obvious PC advantages. I can't remember what is done but I think its along the lines of giving the 360 users auto aim or something similar.

Adding cross platform play will undoubtedly delay the game. Its not something that is especially welcomed by either platform fan base and not only will it delay the release but I think it will make it Microsoft's bitch.

The PS3 has keyboard & mouse support (see UT3).

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 03 September 2008 - 04:01 AM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

Believe it or not but I know some really good game pad gamers. There are some people who can snipe like mad in Halo with the pad. People who grew up on the game pad are sometimes almost better with the game pad than your average PC gamer on the keyboard and mouse.

Of course, the elite of the PC gamers will simply own anyone, especially people on the game pad.

I am not sure if cross platform gaming will delay, but it would make the game Microsoft's bitch simply because of the MS Live thing which would be required on the PC so you could play with the XBox players. Of course, there is a chance that the game will come with it anyway if it comes to the 360 (for consistency).

• Honored Donor

The console makers have this all wrong, Microsoft has the best online system + pad, Sony has awesome open-ended take on their platform. Too bad both are so up in their own worlds that they aren't willing to copy something that works.

I know few good pad players too, but I doubt they'd be that good against mouse & keyboard. Also, I think both version will have enough players alone, but it would certainly be a big thing for "Games for Windows – LIVE".

User is offline   Havoc 05 

peoplessi, on Sep 4 2008, 03:45 PM, said:

I know few good pad players too, but I doubt they'd be that good against mouse & keyboard. Also, I think both version will have enough players alone, but it would certainly be a big thing for "Games for Windows – LIVE".

It all would depend on the level of skill for either player. I know a guy that absolutly sucks with any sort of controller, but owns with a keyboard and mousepad. Watching him play any sort of controller pad related game is comic, but you'd better watch out on the computer. Same is true for another friend who plays x-box frequently.

both have percs, but there should be some sort of way to monitor the skill of a player and match it accordingly to the skill of another person using a different system.

Still... I don't own an x-box or playstation so this would be cool to play people all around the world who do. I think thats the idea.

peoplessi, on Sep 4 2008, 11:45 PM, said:

I think both version will have enough players alone, but it would certainly be a big thing for "Games for Windows – LIVE".

Thing is that means Vista only. So I'm glad it won't be.

• Honored Donor

It doesn't mean that, GfW LIVE works on Vista and XP.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options