Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Brainwash Facility - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Brainwash Facility

User is offline   underTaker 

Hello everybody.

After some time of not releasing anything, i've finally finished this map.
It is the biggest map i've made. I think it could be too ambicious for me, but i had too much spare time :D

It's sequel to Desert Complex.

Here are some screenshots. I've made pretty much of them, so i decided to use Imageshack's gallery option.

http://img823.images...id=duke0001.png
If above gallery doesn't work, here's classic gallery

It may take you some time and nerves.
Just like in Desert Complex you may need to find other ways to find different weapons to deal with enemies. There are many different ways to get to specific locations.
I hope you will enjoy it.

Edit: i have submited patched version, which contains multiplayer coop and dm starting positions, which i've forgotten to add previously

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by underTaker: 02 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

:D The current mapping spree is completely insane! :D

User is offline   MetHy 

These shots look amazing ! Can't wait to play this tomorrow

User is offline   Loke 

Goddamn, just finished it. Absolutely amazingly good map. Quite non-linear and I got lost a few times (especially at the beginning) so I finished it in about 44 minutes but I had a blast throughout.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Brilliant. This could soon be called a classic. Not finished yet. I got lost twice so far but it's not unfair, just complex. I get squished when running forward in the first screenshot.
Second shot: Would someone please make a highres texture of tile 631? Since that bench discussion I seem to encounter it in any user map and can't unsee the lowres quality. :D
Attached Image: duke0002.jpgAttached Image: duke0000.jpg

User is offline   Mark 

GRP Viewer shows it wasn't used in any original maps. Thats probably why it was taken off the to-do list long ago?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMarked, on 01 November 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

GRP Viewer shows it wasn't used in any original maps. Thats probably why it was taken off the to-do list long ago?
Did that list ever contain any stuff which isn't used in the original maps? Maybe a to-do list with the most important missing user map only textures/models would be a good idea.
EDIT: Top of the list - that hydroponics plant:
Attached Image: duke0000.png
EDIT2: Gambini refers to 631.

This post has been edited by LeoD: 01 November 2012 - 03:24 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

Doesn´t look too difficult. I´m gonna give it a try.

About the map: It looks fantastic. I have a few releases to check but this one will be priority.

Attached Image: 0631.png

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostGambini, on 01 November 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

You guys make me so happy these days. :D
Attached Image: 0631-r411.jpg
HRP r411 - one of the more experienced guys might check the detail map/scale.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostLeoD, on 01 November 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

You guys make me so happy these days. :D
Attachment 0631-r411.jpg
HRP r411 - one of the more experienced guys might check the detail map/scale.

The screenshots look amazing! I can't wait to try this map out. I also see a new sprite bench that I have my eye on! LOL

This post has been edited by Paul B: 01 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Why is everybody suddenly releasing maps at the one time of year I can't play them? Posted Image
Ill check this out in a few weeks.

Don't worry Micky, just think how many maps you will got to play when you'll be able to do so :D

Thank you guys for positive comments :D I've updated the map with multiplayer coop and dm starting positions, which i forget to add back then.

User is offline   MetHy 

Just finished it, took me 45mins and found 9/11 secrets. However I wandered around 10 mins at the end trying to find the exit. I loved the abundance of secrets.

At first I really liked the heavy unlinearilty of the map but at the end I realized it was a problem : apparently progression of the map is broken in at least 1 way : I reached the trainstation HALF-WAY through the map. The problem is that, the vent that you're supposed to go in only after having used the red keycard, can be accessible through the corridor if you destroy the plants in front of it and do a crouch-jump. You should have blocked that vent, or rather even not put an entrance to it through the corridor, because the ending of the map can be reached very early on that way.
Also when I found the 2nd blue keycard I still hadn't used the first one.

At the start of the map I got a little surprised : in every map I'm used to kill every alien outdoor before entering any building, but in this map there isn't enough ammo provided to do so; but after all it was a nice change of pace.
I liked how every single weapon is provided (including the expander).
What I also really like about the map is the many progression levels : through vents, rooftops, walking on electric wires, through underwater, through exploded walls, small paths where you have to crouch, entire SoS floors. This kind of stuff is everything that makes Duke3D what it is.

Here are a few random things on top of my head :
I loved the design of quite a few areas, especially that mansion (the one with the blue lock in) and also the nuthouse.
I liked the effect in the basement when you're stuck and the lights turn off one by one.
The newbeast jumping out of the closet startled me.
I didn't like the couple instances of invisible walls (at the beginning and at the end). Speaking of the end, the nukebutton is kinda hidden and hard to find (I didn't spot it at all although I went there twice, and had to ask for help); but to me that was actually a good thing since I found the place half-way through the map....
I loved the secret place accessible through the rooftop and how you have to use steroids to get there.

Loved the design in this corridor, can I steal it for my new map :D ?
Posted Image

Nice curtains
Posted Image

Here sometimes when you back overwater through the slope, the screen will remain blue as if you're still underwater
Posted Image

---------

Anyway great map overall, probably the best release of these past few days; however it's a shame that the progression of the map is broken due to that one vent.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

Thank you for your comments :D

Yeah, the vent thing. I actually didn't mean to block it, but i see it can really expand the gameplay. Now the shop part is optional.

Thank you Methy. That's why i appreciate other people's comments so much :D

Sure you can use it! I've used Merlijn's idea with the door within the corridor with the lights turning off, so, i can revenge with letting you guys do the same with my map's parts :D

I've updated the file in the first post with the fixed one. Thank you once more :D

This post has been edited by underTaker: 02 November 2012 - 11:51 PM

User is offline   Arwu 

Hi :D MetHy points many of things that I liked in this map. many secrets and demolition makes discovering more interesting, I have to put my nose in every corner but in first play Im only find six secret places and play about ~50 minutes :D
I use god mode once for reviving only (because in one place I found two walls that squished player if only touch this walls), thanks god that quick save is working :D, this helped me soo much. good map, for me it is 8/10 (non linear but some kind of hard if player do not know where to find weapons).
ps: excellent sprite work :D definitelly must playing it again, many amount of enemies should be no problem when playing again :D

This post has been edited by Arwu: 02 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

User is offline   Merlijn 

Wow, fantastic map! Loved it. Like Methy, I really liked the different progressions in this level. Rooftops, walking on wires, vents.. it kept the map interesting all the way through. I found 5 secrets, I totally forgot to check out the underwater parts though. I made a mental note to come back to it once I found some scuba gear, but I comepletely forgot about it. :D

My favorite part was definitely the nuthouse, the place felt creepy and the design was really good. You used an effect of mine, but you combined it with those lights going off one by one which made it different and even more spooky.

My only real complaint would be about those invisible walls at the trian station. Why are they even there?

I put them there so the player won't need to search for nuke button, which like some of the players said was pretty hard to find :D

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

i'm playing the "fixed" version. I don't know what's wrong, but the red locked door won't open. The key works, pushing use on the door makes it's sound activate, but the door won't swing. Everything looks tagged correctly, maybe the SE tail is aimed in the wrong direction?

going to cheat and clip through the door to finish.

Sometimes such a thing happenes when a monster is behind that room, but i can't see any way how anything would get in there.
I've checked the doors as well. SE angle is correst as well. It's tail pointing up means the door will swing anticlockwise, which is correct in this case.
It worked for me well though. Weird.

I once had a bug where by some way assault trooper got inside the locked isolation ward and it went open. That was one of the strangest bugs i've seen.

User is offline   Forge 

I clipped through and the trooper that is in the room was well away from the door. I have no idea why it wasn't working properly. I tested it from mapster putting myself near the door and it worked just fine.

The only reasonable explenention seems to be it's magic.

If the SE is too close to a wall, sometimes the door won´t work. It´s like the SE is in the cliff and sometimes falls and some others doesn´t.

User is offline   Jblade 

Heh, I'm just going to repeat what's already been said - this is a pretty amazing map! It's detailed but of a decent length as well. I really love the architecture of pretty much every part of the map (The train station being my favourite, with the Police Department being a close second) It's also nice to see a map with tons of secrets, I've found alot of them but not every one yet so there's some good replayability in there too. Nice work :P

User is offline   Forge 

a review from some obscure site:

http://www.scent-88....ainw/brainw.php

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

underTaker, how are you able to make maps so quickly? I'm guessing you're not at university or in your final year of high school then..

Actually i am in final year of high school. I don't know. I was never learning too much. This is how i spend my spare time, while there's nothing more interresting :P

User is offline   tomo 

Hay man i really enjoyed your map keep up the good work. :P

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Sorry, a bit late with this for no good reason but here's a review: http://msdn.duke4.net/hotbrainwash.php

I actually even recorded a first-time playthrough but I'll upload it later.

Thanks Mikko. I'm looking forward to your gameplay record. I'm bit curious about it :P

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options