• You cannot reply to this topic

Forum Search

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Attached Image: ColorSearch.jpg
WTF?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostLeoD, on 22 October 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Use International English spelling i.e. Colour and not Color (US only).
When in doubt, simply use the forum editor for non searchable words. Posted Image

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

I occasionally use the forum search to find posts by me or others that I know exist, but are buried deep enough that it's not easy to find them manually. The approach is that I search for a word that I remember was used in that post, and is unlikely to have been used in others. This sometimes works out nicely, but other times, the search engine misinterprets the query. For example, trying to find my classic renderer non-power-of-two ysize tile post by searching for "non-power-of-two" (a phrase occurring in that post) results 372 hits, apparently none of them relevant (I have only checked the couple first, of course). So,
1) is the exact syntax and semantics of the query language (word vs. phrase searches, modifiers, etc.) documented somewhere?
2) is it possible to restrict the search to one's own posts?

As another example, try helping me find the post in the Megaton thread showing a Caribbean screenshot of the water pistol or Duke's boot (don't recall which), but in a glitchy fashion, namely with vertical seams.

User is offline   Kathy 

Posted Image

View PostHelixhorned, on 11 May 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

As another example, try helping me find the post in the Megaton thread showing a Caribbean screenshot of the water pistol or Duke's boot (don't recall which), but in a glitchy fashion, namely with vertical seams.

http://forums.duke4....post__p__153061

I randomly stumbled on it. I tried searching by [img] tag which was used when you post an image, but this image was attached thus it wasn't in the search result. Then I probably confused the tabs and was going through the topic itself rather than search results thus finding this post.

This post has been edited by Cathy: 11 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Thanks! I usually use the quick search bar, so I totally missed the "gear" icon with the more advanced settings.

Edit: in fact, I might have known about it at some point, but then forgotten it. Any chance of changing that icon to a magnifying glass and adding a mouseover text like "Advanced search"?

User is offline   Kathy 

Yeah, it's not actually obvious.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options