Duke4.net Forums: Discussing metal music - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Discussing metal music  "At Burnett's request"

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

I love metal - Megadeth, Opeth, Nile, Strapping Young Lad, and The Gathering.

Captain Awesome says that metal is mostly lame.

Discuss.

User is offline   Kathy 

I've heard Metallica was a good metal band.

User is offline   CruX 

Uh...Does Deicide count? Not entirely OT, but if it sounds good, I listen to it. I don't care what genre it is in the same sense that I don't care how mainstream or indie it is.

User is offline   Engel220 

Captain also mentioned that Iron Maiden and Motorhead are two exceptions, but what about the other NWOBHM-era bands like Saxon, Judas Priest, Girlschool, Diamond Head, Raven, Witchfinder General and so on? And there's many other bands from other sections of Metal, 'Stoner' bands like Down, The Sword, and Electric Wizard as a few examples (I say 'Stoner' as I can't think of a better term to describe the similar styles they use).. There's also Death/Thrash bands like Sepultura, Kreator, Cannibal Corpse (The vocals are an accuired taste in comparison to the others, but still relevant), Dethklok (More comedic than anything, but still good stuff) and ect.

There's loads of great Metal out there, both classic and more recent, and it's probably one of the most evolved and everchanging genres in existence.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 08 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostEngel220, on 08 October 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

Captain also mentioned that Iron Maiden and Motorhead are two exceptions, but what about the other NWOBHM-era bands like Saxon, Judas Priest, Girlschool, Diamond Head, Raven, Witchfinder General and so on? And there's many other bands from other sections of Metal, 'Stoner' bands like Down, The Sword, and Electric Wizard as a few examples (I say 'Stoner' as I can't think of a better term to describe the similar styles they use).. There's also Death/Thrash bands like Sepultura, Kreator, Cannibal Corpse (The vocals are an accuired taste in comparison to the others, but still relevant), Dethklok (More comedic than anything, but still good stuff) and ect.

There's loads of great Metal out there, both classic and more recent, and it's probably one of the most evolved and everchanging genres in existence.

That's a lot of namedropping you did right there, but for the most part I agree in essence with your choice of bands. Chances are Captain is thinking of mainstream metal bands which do very much resemble pop - Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Korn (at least nowadays). When looking from the perspective of those bands, yes, metal sucks. Still, there are a whole slew of underground genres which mostly go unnoticed in spite of their superior musicality.

Did you know that structurally, "Metal" is very, very close to classical music?

Think about it, a lot of classical music is very agressive and "in your face", things such as a fast paced string segment could almost seamlessly be translated into a guitar solo, in fact, there are countless metal covers of classical music on the internet. Furthermore, many of the best guitarists study classical music very deeply. Typically the music is very complex compared with other kinds of music, a lot can happen in a single track, with more well know genres of music, such as pop, the artist seems to rely on a short loop for the duration of the track that remains almost unchanged throughout. In the case of some types of metal, such as death metal, the music plays a major part in "telling the story" of the track and the vocals can be considered part of the music as it's not always so much about what the vocals are or how well written they might be but more of how they are delivered (usually in an aggressive roar or guttural grunt).

Metal is a very diverse genre of music, it encompasses hundreds of subgenres which each have their own unique sound and style, the in thing seems to be to say that you don't care for this "genre-labelling-bs!" but if it weren't for that I wouldn't be able to find more of what I liked due to the sheer amount of music to choose from. My tastes lean mostly towards thrash metal and death metal and several of their subgenres - yeah, play me some melodic death metal and I'll crank the volume right up.

You can blame Apogee and Nintendo for my musical tastes ending up this way, it was Duke Nukem II that made me listen to Megadeth, it was F-Zero X and Yoshi's Island (A mario game!) that made me start listening to things like Carcass and At the Gates, this led to me listening to even more, Dying Fetus make it onto the list of my favorite bands now, but I'd have never heard of them if I hadn't listened to everything else first.

A friend of mine is in a NWOBHM band, so you can immagine what happens if you give us access to something that plays music.

User is offline   Jinroh 

A lot of good metal bands were already mentioned, so I won't go over a huge list of my favorites, but I really thought Machine Head's latest studio record Unto the Locust was really awesome.

They'll be touring with Dethklok this fall which is really cool, as I think Brendon Small is a talented musician. Despite Dethklok being "mainstream" it's cool to see people who wouldn't normally be into metal like Dethklok.

User is offline   underTaker 

Generally i really like most of rock subgenres, also including metal. I personally value rhythmic ones. Currently my favourite metal band is Black Label Society, i also really enjoy Metallica, Iron Maiden, and also various different genres, bands like Amorphis, Dark Tranquillity, Edguy, Hammerfall and many others.

So in conclusion - everything that is born of rock is good thing to me ;)

User is offline   Hank 

View PostHigh Treason, on 08 October 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

Yes. The Classical genre is such a wide genre, it is inevitable to find similarities. Unlike you, it was Emerson Lake and Palmer getting me into Classical Posted Image

@ Archenar - Two your first post. The only slip from CA was to write that metal is lame instead of I don't like it. One is an attack the other is an opinion.

This post has been edited by Hank: 08 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostHank, on 08 October 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

@ Archenar - Two your first post.

Huh?

The only slip from CA was to write that metal is lame instead of I don't like it. One is an attack the other is an opinion.

It's not a slip, it's the way that CA posts. He never says "in my opinion". I personally don't have a problem with it. We agree in some places and disagree with others. The whole point of this topic was to diverge off the thread in which this discussion started.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 08 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

I suppose I could point out that, umm;
Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Metal is not my favorite genre, but I will agree that it is a great genre for one to research. I'm surrounded in my life with many classical and ensemble loving musicians, and I believe metal gets a bad rap from these folks. I don't mind adjectives of metal being "loud" or "noisy", but I hate it more than anything when it is described as "chaotic". The more I study metal, the more I realized that it's one of the most structured and organized genres in existence.

And considering HT's post, he is absolutely right. I love classical, and I notice the first movement of Beethoven's 5th symphony can translate directly into metal. So do many of Paganini's works, especially his famed 24th Caprice.

Another point: Randy Rhoads was the first exposure I ever had to what real music is. I was a young 12 year old who noticed there was a problem with the sub-average music surrounding me on the popular radio channels and the music shelves in the stores. When I first listened to the Randy Rhoads Tribute album, my brain nearly exploded in what was possible to do with music, technically and spiritually. I've since devoted my life to searching through the infinite boundaries of music, studying music theory, conducting, composing, and advanced instrument technique. While I've since ventured into many other styles that I enjoy much more than my original taste, I will never forget my roots, which was metal.

This post has been edited by Radar: 08 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostAchenar, on 08 October 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Huh?

Well, I responded to your first post,only. On your second you don't like Breaking Benjamin and Korn (I guess their style IV) for example. I like one song from each. This is my problem actually, I don't go by genre or artists, not even albums, I go by songs only. So when it comes to vast genres like metal or classical, the discussion could be endless. Bottom line for me, if I like a song, composure or 'works' I like it, that simple or that complex. Posted Image

It's not a slip, it's the way that CA posts. He never says "in my opinion". I personally don't have a problem with it. We agree in some places and disagree with others. The whole point of this topic was to diverge off the thread in which this discussion started.

I don't follow specific forum goers either, so I honestly don't know. - Now let's see Posted Image

I think Black Sabbath is part of the metal genre also? And their blues type under score drive me up the wall. Mettalica's singer should keep quiet, I actually hate his Country Western type singing style; long list if you want ... I love I:Scintilla style (Industrial) or Disturbed (Heavy Metal) - but over all, only a select few metal songs are part of my collection. Or, I am not into metal either.

This post has been edited by Hank: 08 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostEmericaSkater, on 08 October 2012 - 05:00 AM, said:

Uh...Does Deicide count? Not entirely OT, but if it sounds good, I listen to it.

How is Deicide not count? I haven't heard that much of it, but I'm pretty sure it was at least till mid 90s a brutal death metal band.

View PostHigh Treason, on 08 October 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

Really? I always thought it was bullshit so that people could say stuff like "metal is better than [insert genre]". But personally I don't care if it's close or not.

It's not a slip, it's the way that CA posts. He never says "in my opinion".

Why should he? It's his post so obviously it's his opinion. It was pretty clear that something "being lame" was subjective opinion and not an objective fact.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 08 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

I like listening to music in games. Metal music fits very good in most games. One of my favorite games when you listen to music, is devil may cry.

User is offline   Sangman 

I used to be into metal some years back (but mostly limited to Metallica, Megadeth and various NWOBHM bands).. Nowadays I'm more into grunge, stoner rock and Black Sabbath. Yeah I challenge anyone to pigeonhole Black Sabbath into exactly one genre. ;)

View PostSangman, on 08 October 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

I used to be into metal some years back (but mostly limited to Metallica, Megadeth and various NWOBHM bands).. Nowadays I'm more into grunge, stoner rock and Black Sabbath. Yeah I challenge anyone to pigeonhole Black Sabbath into exactly one genre. ;)

Sabbath created a fair few genres (Or inspired bands that did), they were one of the first bands termed as 'Heavy Metal', and Master of Reality really sounds like the album that started Stoner Metal/Rock with the use of lower tunings that Stoner groups use often.

This post has been edited by Engel220: 08 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Yeah that's exactly my point... they're one of the first bands to be called "heavy metal" but if you start listening to more of them you'll find songs that really are nothing like heavy metal at all. ;)

View PostSangman, on 08 October 2012 - 11:06 AM, said:

Yeah that's exactly my point... they're one of the first bands to be called "heavy metal" but if you start listening to more of them you'll find songs that really are nothing like heavy metal at all. ;)

'Planet Caravan' being one. Then again, a fair few Metal bands have done songs that aren't really 'Metal', Judas Priest did a lot of softer songs on their early albums for one example.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostAchenar, on 08 October 2012 - 03:41 AM, said:

I wonder if you can even list ten metal bands that you believe are shitty.

No problem. Children of Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, GWAR (hey, I even like this band but holy shit their new albums are terrible), Devildriver, Lamb of God, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, Ghoul, Metallica (save for their first few records of course), Amon Amarth, Alestorm, DragonForce, need I go on? I like a lot of metal, like Mercyful Fate, Danzig, Iron Maiden, and even though I'm not big into the genre, someone mentioned stoner metal and I really dig that stuff too. And make note I've seen a lot of these bands live.

I don't ever see the point in pointing out something is my opinion because....

View PostBurnett, on 08 October 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Why should he? It's his post so obviously it's his opinion. It was pretty clear that something "being lame" was subjective opinion and not an objective fact.

User is offline   underTaker 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 08 October 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

No problem. Children of Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, GWAR (hey, I even like this band but holy shit their new albums are terrible), Devildriver, Lamb of God, Municipal Waste, Toxic Holocaust, Ghoul, Metallica (save for their first few records of course), Amon Amarth, Alestorm, DragonForce, need I go on? I like a lot of metal, like Mercyful Fate, Danzig, Iron Maiden, and even though I'm not big into the genre, someone mentioned stoner metal and I really dig that stuff too. And make note I've seen a lot of these bands live.

You got a point from me for mentioning Alestorm here ;)

I saw Amon Amarth live a couple months back. My friends loved it but it's just not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

User is offline   Loke 

The only metal bands I pretty much listen to nowadays are Slayer, Meshuggah, Cannibal Corpse (eat me CA) and S.O.D. Occasionally I can listen to stuff by Converge or Suicide Silence even though I'm not particularly fond of the genre (mathcore/deathcore stuff).

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I love 1980s metal, some 1990s stuff, and Judas Priest (which dates to the late 60s in some of their works). I like a lot of old bands that never got very far, they are really damn good, but were in the shadows due to all the real popular bands and shitty record labels. Many of the come from other countries besides the US/UK.

I like Industrial Metal too (Rammstein, KMFDM).

I'd give a list of ALL my favorite bands, but I'm only saying: Traditional, NWOBHM, Thrash, Speed, Black (1st wave), Death (only the first album of Morbid Angel, the band Possessed, and the band Death themselves).

This post has been edited by gerolf: 08 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Yay, at least someone mentioned black metal!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I bought XTORT by KMFDM on cassette because the cover looked neat. Not my type of thing, but they're not a bad band.

User is offline   Loke 

View Postgerolf, on 08 October 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

I like Industrial Metal too...

Damnit, I knew I forgot something.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Black Metal is great if you know what to look for, but many bands just say "HEY! We're Black Metal" but really they're just screamo singing about bestial sex and violence in the woods at 3am. XTORT would not the best KMFDM album as a first buy to be honest, if you have listened to Naive first Captain Awesome, your opinion probably would've been slightly different.

I'd list all the bands I like, but it would take hours, plus most of you probably don't know nearly ALL of them except for like Iron Maiden and stuff like that. I'll put this one on the table though, Ostrogoth.

I actually want to form a Metal band myself as a singer. No joke.

This post has been edited by gerolf: 08 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I don't dislike KMFDM at all. I tend to find 'extreme' genres of music try way too hard. KMFDM is pretty good though.

User is offline   Mark 

In 1970 I bought my first FM radio and heard Black Sabbath's newly released first album. I was hooked on it while all my friends were still listening to "pop" music on AM radio. The 70's and early 80's for me were mostly Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Van Halen, Ozzy, Scorpions, Dio and a number of lesser known ( in the U.S. ) metal bands like Vicious Rumors, Savatage . Mid 80's to mid 90's was my "instrumental" era with stuff from guitar virtuosos Yngwie Malmsteen, Tony MacAlpine, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and about a dozen others. Now I listen to all of the above plus the last 5 or 6 years I'm really into bands like Dream Theatre, Symphony X and Pagan's Mind.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options