Duke4.net Forums: Powerslave/Exhumed questions - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Powerslave/Exhumed questions

User is offline   MetHy 

Someone just told me 2 super cool things about the game. Sounds like they are glitches, but it makes playing much better :

- if you set the "run" key as "capslock", you can actually have autorunning. No need to hold that shift key all the time anymore!
- and if you use that capslock autorunning; you can strafe super fast! The superfast strafing doesn't work with the 'strafe left' and 'strafe right' keys, however it works if you use 'strafekey + left' or 'strafekey + right' (again only if you use the autorunning capslock). So, by settings the Q and D keys to 'left' and 'right' (rather than strafe left/right in a normal WASD setting) and use a key like Lshift or Lctrl as "strafe" key; and hold that key anytime you want to strafe, you can use that superfast strafing.

Too bad I only got told about that after I'm done replaying the game! Damn!

Oh ; and another protip from me to make playing more comfortable too, though not a glitch this time : in this game you have to hold a key to be able to look up/down with the mouse. Well, if you set that key to a mousebutton like RMB or MMB, it makes mouselook much more convenient....

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I noticed the caps lock thing too. Think I can grab this text for my site?

User is offline   Lunick 

I might have to install the game again now.

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostCorvin, on 12 August 2014 - 07:22 PM, said:

I noticed the caps lock thing too. Think I can grab this text for my site?

Yeah sure! Now if only someone could find a way to play the game in resolution higher than 640*400... I tried manually editing the cfg and put 800*600 but that doesn't work.

User is offline   Lunick 

I had a go at the first two levels with the control suggestions. It makes it somewhat more playable but it still heaps awkward.

User is offline   zirkoni 

View PostMetHy, on 13 August 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

Now if only someone could find a way to play the game in resolution higher than 640*400...

scaler=normal2x forced

Doesn't really change the resolution the game is running on but scales the image on the screen in DOSBox...
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Scaler

This post has been edited by zirkoni: 13 August 2014 - 11:19 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostLunick, on 13 August 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

I had a go at the first two levels with the control suggestions. It makes it somewhat more playable but it still heaps awkward.

I really don't know what people have against the controls of this game... Sure it's a bit more limited than other FPS, but it's not a problem considering the enemies feel like they were built with that more limited scheme in mind. It's just different rules, like going from Megaman 4 with slide and charge to Megaman 2 without slide and charge.

Plus it really is the only 'flaw' of the game and like I said I find it hard to even call it a flaw. I'd rather play Powerslave and its limited controls than the first Redneck Rampage with full WASD+mouse control but with glitchy enemies, invisible keys and hidden switches.
Yet, most people seem to like RR more.

View Postzirkoni, on 13 August 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

scaler=normal2x forced

Doesn't really change the resolution the game is running on but scales the image on the screen in DOSBox...
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Scaler

That makes things a bit better, thanks!

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMetHy, on 12 August 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

Someone just told me 2 super cool things about the game. Sounds like they are glitches, but it makes playing much better :

- if you set the "run" key as "capslock", you can actually have autorunning. No need to hold that shift key all the time anymore!
- and if you use that capslock autorunning; you can strafe super fast! The superfast strafing doesn't work with the 'strafe left' and 'strafe right' keys, however it works if you use 'strafekey + left' or 'strafekey + right' (again only if you use the autorunning capslock). So, by settings the Q and D keys to 'left' and 'right' (rather than strafe left/right in a normal WASD setting) and use a key like Lshift or Lctrl as "strafe" key; and hold that key anytime you want to strafe, you can use that superfast strafing.

Too bad I only got told about that after I'm done replaying the game! Damn!

Oh ; and another protip from me to make playing more comfortable too, though not a glitch this time : in this game you have to hold a key to be able to look up/down with the mouse. Well, if you set that key to a mousebutton like RMB or MMB, it makes mouselook much more convenient....

Apparently it's also possible to have toggle mouselook by setting the mouselook key to numlock or scroll-lock; haven't tried it myself but sounds pretty cool

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

In a podcast interview with Fragments of Silicon, Night Dive Studios revealed they are planning to release a port of the Saturn version of Exhumed. It's in their backlog at the moment.

https://twitter.com/...983957368324096 - at the 30.00 minute mark.

User is offline   Lunick 

Hmmmmmmmmm

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 12 February 2015 - 06:19 PM, said:

In a podcast interview with Fragments of Silicon, Night Dive Studios revealed they are planning to release a port of the Saturn version of Exhumed. It's in their backlog at the moment.

They're not the ones who are in the best position to do such a thing...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Hmm is this what voidpoint's "classic games" statement is all about? :lol:

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

[informative image redacted]

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Interview with Brian McNeely (Powerslave) over at Unseen64.

Q4) Ok, lets look at the games, Lobotomy 1st leapt to UK Gamers attention with Exhumed (Powerslave in USA)…and to many kinda put the Sega Saturn on the map, in terms of it being able to handle FPS (and in style). Are claims game was originally planned as a PC FPS, called ‘Ruins‘ true? and also you originally just planned to port the PC version to Saturn?. If so, what made you change your mind and turn the console versions into something of a FPS with more depth than your average FPS of that era?.

Yes it’s true the game began as a PC FPS called Ruins. Paul wanted to make something with an Egyptian theme, so we started developing the game using the Build engine for Apogee in tandem with three other games they were making using the same engine. The other three games were Shadow Warrior (ninja theme), Duke Nukem (sci-fi theme), and Blood (horror theme). Our Egyptian themed game rounded out the “theme spread” for this set I guess, or at least I think that’s what Apogee’s original vision was. Eventually the product changed hands on the publishing side and we continued development on 3 platforms: PC, Saturn, and PlayStation. Playmates Interactive published the U.S. versions (“Powerslave”), and BMG published the game in Europe (“Exhumed”) and Japan (“A.D. 1999: Pharaoh’s Revival”).

The PC version was well underway when we began planning the Saturn version. I don’t remember why we started with the Saturn version first over the PlayStation version, but it became our lead platform between the two consoles. At first is seemed reasonable that we would attempt to just port the game to the Saturn, but I realized we had a great opportunity to do something different with the console versions of the game that could break away from what was typically expected for first person shooters at the time. There wasn’t really a push at that time to cater first person shooters to console gamers, and for the most part the console FPS selection was very limited. I remember specifically there was a huge hole in that area on the Saturn, and I may be wrong about this but I’m pretty sure the only FPS available for Saturn when we began development was a game called Robotica, which I played in detail to see what we would be competing with. It became clear that if we struck in a certain way we could really run away with something great that hadn’t been done at all up to that point.

There were a few key areas where I saw lots of opportunity to expand the FPS genre on consoles. One of them was controls and mobility, and so we set out to speed up movement to feel more like a jog, and also allow the player to make soaring jumps. This allowed us to take a fresh approach with level design and factor in more dexterity and “3D FPS platforming” style of game play. Another area was the overall structure and progression of the game. I wanted to avoid a linear experience, and instead offer a feeling of exploration and accomplishment, so we designed the “artifact system” in which the player discovered artifact items to gain permanent new special abilities so that they could gain access to areas of the game previously impossible to reach. The world map was added to help reinforce the setting and game world and navigate the level structure. All of this was kind of a nod to Metroid and several other games, so it wasn’t a new concept by any means, but it was new to the FPS genre and seemed to fit well for console gamers.

Posted Image

User is offline   montycoral 

I have a splinter in my mind ...

I tried to convert a map of Powerslave for eduke32 and mapster32 has recognized it without problems ...
even replacing only a few textures here and there ...
my question is : why do not we create a tc for eduke32 which is much more compatible and there would be no need to do everything from scratch ?

User is offline   leilei 

Because with the amount of labor involved, copyright infringement is not sensible to waste years of a life on just because one guy on the internet has a splinter in their head and thinks it would be cool.

This post has been edited by leilei: 21 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

User is offline   montycoral 

ok for you I am the only person on the internet who has a splinter in their head ...

but this guy in a couple of hours have done 3 maps that work well on eduke32 ...

I note with discomfort that can not ask anything on these forums , without offending the people's patience ... then I wonder : what are you doing on the forum that when someone has an idea strikes your feelings ?

This post has been edited by montycoral: 21 September 2016 - 04:17 PM

User is offline   ---- 

View Postmontycoral, on 21 September 2016 - 04:16 PM, said:

ok for you I am the only person on the internet who has a splinter in their head ...

but this guy in a couple of hours have done 3 maps that work well on eduke32 ...

I note with discomfort that can not ask anything on these forums , without offending the people's patience ... then I wonder : what are you doing on the forum that when someone has an idea strikes your feelings ?

He quoted you (the splinter in your head-part) and gave an honest answer. Just because it isn't the answer you wanted to hear means he was rude or something.

User is offline   MetHy 

Recreating the game in another format isn't the right state of mind. If you do that you're going to end up with an approximative guess work which gameplay is completely off, like PowerslaveEX.
The Build version of Powerslave has simpler behaviours than say... Blood, but it would still be off.

The right state of mind would be making the actual game more compatible with Mapster32.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 22 September 2016 - 12:40 AM

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options