Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem's Evolution and Borderlands 2 - Podcast Unlocked Episode 70 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem's Evolution and Borderlands 2 - Podcast Unlocked Episode 70

User is offline   N64 

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Anything interesting? I've problems with Youtube videos that have a length of more than several minutes.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

They start talking about Duke Nukem at 0:16:47 just so everyone knows ;)

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 17 September 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Anything interesting? I've problems with Youtube videos that have a length of more than several minutes.

Basically that Randy Pitchford wants the next Duke Nukem to be inventive and "bring something new to the table" much like how Duke Nukem 3D was to the FPS genre. Also, that he would have done Duke Nukem Forever differently, but still likes aspects of DNF. Pardon any paraphrasing. In short, this interview gives me hope that we will see Duke in a better light soon.

Up until this interview, I couldn't figure out Mr. Pitchford out for a while; whether he loved DNF and wanted the series to continue in that direction, or if he was bluffing and truly wanted the game to be different. Now that the game has been out for over a year, he is opening up a bit more and showing us his true feelings toward the game and what needs to happen. Of course, he can't just come out and say "Duke Nukem Forever sucks," even if he does think that. He still has to be professional.

Sounds like Duke is in good hands, but I remain slightly cautious.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Posthismasterplan, on 17 September 2012 - 02:35 PM, said:

Basically that Randy Pitchford wants the next Duke Nukem to be inventive and "bring something new to the table" much like how Duke Nukem 3D was to the FPS genre. Also, that he would have done Duke Nukem Forever differently, but still likes aspects of DNF. Pardon any paraphrasing. In short, this interview gives me hope that we will see Duke in a better light soon.

Up until this interview, I couldn't figure out Mr. Pitchford out for a while; whether he loved DNF and wanted the series to continue in that direction, or if he was bluffing and truly wanted the game to be different. Now that the game has been out for over a year, he is opening up a bit more and showing us his true feelings toward the game and what needs to happen. Of course, he can't just come out and say "Duke Nukem Forever sucks," even if he does think that. He still has to be professional.

Sounds like Duke is in good hands, but I remain slightly cautious.

It'll be a cold day in Hell before Pitchford actually speaks full truth in an interview. He's always blowing smoke up somebody's ass it seems.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Pitchford is cool, I'd suck his dick and swallow every drop of his jesus juice.

User is offline   Gambini 

Posted Image

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It seems gearbox followed through on their promise to offer a lot more to PC gamers this time around, that's a good sign for the next Duke game.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostMicky C, on 18 September 2012 - 10:55 PM, said:

It seems gearbox followed through on their promise to offer a lot more to PC gamers this time around, that's a good sign for DNF.

Doesn't seem to have an option for first person driving, or turning off the crouch indicator (if it's still in the game), but otherwise everything seems to be there. ;)

This post has been edited by necroslut: 19 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

I don't really understand the point of crouch indicator in games. Is it because of accidentaly pressing it in MP or what?

This post has been edited by Burnett: 19 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

I think that's why. Sometimes you don't see that you are crouching before you are dead. And in new fps games you run very slow in general, so the slow runspeed is much harder to notice. I've cought myself crouching without a reason many times.

User is offline   Kathy 

Pretty stupid to have it in single player then with all this "immersion" emphasis and hud minimalism.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostBurnett, on 19 September 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Pretty stupid to have it in single player then with all this "immersion" emphasis and hud minimalism.

My thoughts exactly. It's a nonsensical juxtaposition, further exacerbated by other features in similar FPS'es, such as pulsating doors or "GET BACK TO THE BATTLE ZONE!"

User is offline   LkMax 

Why a good sign for DNF? Is there a news that didn't caught my eyes regarding DNF and patches to come? Maybe for Duke Begins but DNF is pretty much dead already. Not to sound pessimistic but better safe than sorry.

As for crouch, it's pretty obvious when Duke is crouching (even slower movements, vision closer to the floor).

This post has been edited by LkMax: 19 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

yea. DNF didn't need it while other games that should have it doesn't...

• Honored Donor

View PostLkMax, on 19 September 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

Why a good sign for DNF? Is there a news that didn't caught my eyes regarding DNF and patches to come?

D'oh, I meant to say the next Duke game. Thanks for pointing that out, I fixed it in my post now.

As for Duke Begins there's no evidence pointing to that being the next game to come out. Even if it is, Gearbox will have to scrap all the work they've done on it and start again to avoid the assets looking outdated (2 dated looking games in a row doesn't look good for them).

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 September 2012 - 07:25 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

In my opinion a crouch indicator is necessary because many people.. especially on consoles use crouch toggle and they may forget that they have crouching on. Having crouch toggle off is more of a PC thing I would say. Although some games obviously don't have turning off crouch toggle as an option unless you hack the ini files. But yeah it so those people who are playing with crouch toggle don't forget crouching on. ;)

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

It depends on the game, with some games it's sometimes a bit hard to tell whether you're crouching or not. I had this problem quite often when I played Operation Flashpoint: Red River a few weeks ago. In games like DNF there's no confusion however. And yeah, the problem obviously doesn't exist if you're not using crouch toggle (I nearly always use it).

I don't mind if there is a crouch indicator, as long as I can turn it off or it is disabled when crouch toggle is off.

I hate it when you press the crouch button, and you are crouching until you press it again. I like it more if you only crouch when you hold down the crouch button. Then you don't need the crouch indicator either.

View Postrasmus thorup, on 20 September 2012 - 11:14 AM, said:

I hate it when you press the crouch button, and you are crouching until you press it again. I like it more if you only crouch when you hold down the crouch button. Then you don't need the crouch indicator either.

That's how I had it set in DNF (one of my sorry attempts at getting the game more like Duke 3D), but it didn't feel good with the rest of the controls.

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

I totally agree with Randy about DNF, the game had puzzles, good pacing and decent action. It's such a shame that most modern game have none of it anymore. I have high hopes with next Duke game, since he mentioned he want to invent something new to FPS games.

Also, that IGN guy is such a douche, in my opinion.

This post has been edited by MrGlasses: 25 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostMrGlasses, on 25 September 2012 - 04:15 AM, said:

good pacing and decent action

Most people on this forum seem to agree that the game has poor pacing, with long stretches of exploring linear corridors where nothing happens, leading to extended periods of dullness. It's here that the game could use more combat. These long stretches were left in the game to pad it out so the developers could boast about the long campaign.
However, many people also strongly dislike the regenerating health and two weapon limit, as well as the weapons' own extremely limited ammo capacity and constant reloading, which almost makes the gunplay broken.

So it's ironic that the game could use more action, however the game's action itself wasn't all that fantastic, leading to a dilemma of how much of each the game should have. So we all scratch our heads, go back to playing Duke 3D and hope that the next Duke game is better.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMicky C, on 25 September 2012 - 04:27 AM, said:

Most people on this forum seem to agree that the game has [poor game qualities follow...]

I have to admit that I'm more than a bit bemused by the collective pounding Duke Nukem Forever has received on this, the possibly most expansive and diverse Duke Nukem fan forum on the Internet. You would think that a forum like this would have more than its fair share of die-hard fans who would find substantial positive qualities in the game; I certainly did on other fan forums for other games where the distribution, at worst, was always 50% in favor of newer games and 50% against. This perhaps crystallizes how misshapen the effort was for DNF; even the fans were unimpressed.

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

Most people on this forum seem to agree that the game has poor pacing, with long stretches of exploring linear corridors where nothing happens, leading to extended periods of dullness. It's here that the game could use more combat.

It reminded me of Half-life. It also had long walk without any shooting, with occasional one enemy here and there. Of course we all agree DNF needs more combat.
Now if only we had Map Editor for DNF....

However, many people also strongly dislike the regenerating health and two weapon limit

Indeed. Regen health is a problem but thankfully Gearbox released four weapon limit option, which made the campaign much more enjoyable.

go back to playing Duke 3D and hope that the next Duke game is better.

Playin' Duke 3D everyday. Hell, I'm working on a mod actually.

What made DNF great for me was how much stuff there is. It's not like modern games where you just shoot, press one button, play cinematic and repeat.

This post has been edited by MrGlasses: 25 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostMrGlasses, on 25 September 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

Playin' Duke 3D everyday. Hell, I'm working on a mod actually.

Good on ya Posted Image

Even with the 4 weapon limit, coming from Duke 3D where something like the RPG held 50 shots, and you could clear out a whole level with that thing, to DNF, where it only holds 5 shots, and you can't even clear out a room, leaves a sad an empty feeling. Same goes for at least half the other weapons.

It's good that some people like you truly enjoy the game. No one's going to say "No, you need to hate the game!" that's rediculous. However considering that Gearbox never released the third planned DLC, and the obvious lack of mod tools, it seems that Gearbox just wants to sweep this game under the rug as quickly and quietly as possible. Hopefully this is because they want to shift public focus to the next Duke game when it comes out.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMrGlasses, on 25 September 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

It's not like modern games where you just shoot, press one button, play cinematic and repeat.

Great generalisation, dude. Next time don't forget to throw in some CoD or Halo joke.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostMicky C, on 25 September 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

However considering that Gearbox never released the third planned DLC, and the obvious lack of mod tools,

The 3rd planned DLC was released, how things were meant to go is:
DLC 1: Map Pack 1
DLC 2: Map Pack 2
DLC 3: The Doctor Who Cloned Me

Packs 2 and 3 were combined for a complete release.

Mod tools and level creator are on my wish list for the next game.

View PostMicky C, on 25 September 2012 - 05:01 AM, said:

Good on ya Posted Image

Even with the 4 weapon limit, coming from Duke 3D where something like the RPG held 50 shots, and you could clear out a whole level with that thing, to DNF, where it only holds 5 shots, and you can't even clear out a room, leaves a sad an empty feeling. Same goes for at least half the other weapons.

It's good that some people like you truly enjoy the game. No one's going to say "No, you need to hate the game!" that's rediculous. However considering that Gearbox never released the third planned DLC, and the obvious lack of mod tools, it seems that Gearbox just wants to sweep this game under the rug as quickly and quietly as possible. Hopefully this is because they want to shift public focus to the next Duke game when it comes out.

IMO Duke 3D's RPG hold way too much ammo. I mean, you can hold the same amout of rockets as shotgun shells. I think it's one of D3D's biggest balance flaws.
However, DNF's RPG holds way too little ammo for the amount of damage it does. Even the shrinker, a one hit killer in most cases, holds more, and the Railgun whcih does about the same amout damage or maybe even more holds over twice the ammo and is hitscan. Clean out a room? You're lucky if you have any ammo left after two pigcops.

And as Wesker said, they integrated the third DLC into the second. Which is what more developers should do if you ask me. Small multiplayer-only DLC packages just fragment the multiplayer playerbase.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 26 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View Postnecroslut, on 26 September 2012 - 05:54 AM, said:

IMO Duke 3D's RPG hold way too much ammo. I mean, you can hold the same amout of rockets as shotgun shells. I think it's one of D3D's biggest balance flaws.

I used RPG almost exclusively on bosses and semi-bosses and its ammo was the right amount for those encounters.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options