Duke4.net Forums: Your Duke3D Worst Episode/Level? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Duke3D Worst Episode/Level?

Poll: Your Duke3D Worst Episode/Level? (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Your Worst Duke3D Episode is???

1. L.A Meltdown (1 votes [2.38%])

Percentage of vote: 2.38%

2. Lunar Apocalypse (18 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Shrapnel City (6 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. The Birth (17 votes [40.48%])

Percentage of vote: 40.48%

Vote Guests cannot vote

I chose shrapnel city. It has my favorite map. That bank level. And the cycloid is also my favorite boss. Though the episode gets pretty boring in the mid levels, then it gets good again.

Seems everyone loves LA Meltdown.

I never though about the game from this perspective, and realized I honestly simply don't have a vote to cast. There are things in all 4 that are invaluable to what makes Duke something special compared to the entire rest of shooters before and since. The Birth would be the closest, but that's simply because it came later and thus doesn't get the benefit of being part of my initial "Wow Factor".

No vote. :D

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Blue Lightning, on 13 October 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

Seems everyone loves LA Meltdown.

I guess the entire episode plays smoothly compared to the others, including Toxic Dump.

Too bad that the TC LakiSoft got banned for trolling.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I chose Episode 4, it's got a couple cool levels like Duke Burger and It's Impossible! But the ship, boss, and the rest are very frustrating or forgettable(to me).

User is offline   Malgon 

I'm going with Episode 4 as my least favourite one, as it just didn't strike a chord with me like the original 3 episodes did.

I don't hate any of the episodes, they have their highs and lows, but there is one map in Shrapnel City I can't stand - Fahrenheit. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, it's boring and has the worst layout ever seen in DN3D classic maps. Imo. :P

User is offline   Loke 

Mister Sinister, on 09 November 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

I don't hate any of the episodes, they have their highs and lows, but there is one map in Shrapnel City I can't stand - Fahrenheit. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, it's boring and has the worst layout ever seen in DN3D classic maps. Imo. :P

I don't hate it but I greatly dislike the basic architecture and general "lazy" detailing especially the fire department building which is completely devoid of any side rooms or attention to details except for a boring red hallway with a couple of commanders and a button. Yay? The N64 version was better imo.

User is offline   MetHy 

I always thought Fahrenheit's layout was weird.

User is offline   Gambini 

Burnett, on 08 October 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

The hell? :P/>

Commando Nukem, on 08 October 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

Indeed!Not even LA Meltdown? You shame yourself, sir! Posted Image

MetHy, on 08 October 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

You gotta be joking.

I guess it´s too late to reply. But just reread this thread today. (maybe the forum should have an easier way to track threads where i posted?)

The thing is that I have been a terrible gamer prior Half Life. Half Life was the first pc game (aside from Lucas arts adventures) I wanted to play as intented. I dont need to mention how much I enjoyed Duke3d in all this time. But, when it came out my playing method was: play a few levels until it gets boring or too hard - find cheats - wander around all levels to see if I like them - replay the ones I liked - etc..

As I being how I was. I remember giving up on the first episode when trying to pass the prison map. The only episode I almost finished was The Birth. But somewhere in the way I got distracted.

User is offline   wesley025 

Blue Lightning, on 13 October 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

Yeah, I gotta say I love the Spin Cycle concept and found it quite enjoable. Tier drops was good too. With Spin Cycle when you throw a bomb or fire a rocket down the track or up the track or across, and how it behaves depending on which you did, was interesting. At the time Spin Cycle was probebly the best demonstration of physics in a video game.

It's still a great demonstration of physics in a video game.

I never came to uderstood how the Tier drops level was build. Truly the most weirdest and awesome effect i have seen in Duke Nukem.

User is offline   Metalwolf 

I picked 'The Birth' mainly because I didn't like the last two levels. I didn't mind the boat but for one thing (and this is going to sound strange) I hated the pigcops flying around it on the floating patrol vehicles. They looked kind of stupid with their open mouth gaze and jerky way of floating around, and was the thing that kind of made the boat level feel lame. I didn't like the last level in it's entirety, pretty much because I hate underwater levels and having to fight an annoying boss in one was a bit much.

User is offline   NNC 

Loke, on 09 November 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

I don't hate it but I greatly dislike the basic architecture and general "lazy" detailing especially the fire department building which is completely devoid of any side rooms or attention to details except for a boring red hallway with a couple of commanders and a button. Yay? The N64 version was better imo.

That's not the only level in that episode which felt like a mishmash. Bank Roll, Movie Set, Rabid Transit looked very uninspired and lazy as well. Not to mention Tier Drops and Stadium.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Nancsi, on 09 December 2012 - 02:54 PM, said:

That's not the only level in that episode which felt like a mishmash. Bank Roll, Movie Set, Rabid Transit looked very uninspired and lazy as well. Not to mention Tier Drops and Stadium.

Gee, that's almost half the entire episode. :)

Better add Flood Zone to that list. I always thought that level was dull.

I wonder if Episode 3 would have been more fun if it was just L.A. Rumble and Freeway repeated for 11 levels.

Edit: Ironically, Episode 3 was almost entirely Levelord save for Freeway and Stadium. Contrast with Episode 1 which was all Allen Blum save for Abyss.

This post has been edited by Achenar: 16 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Achenar, on 16 December 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

Better add Flood Zone to that list. I always thought that level was dull.

Heh, I've always kind of enjoyed that level, along with Bank Roll :)

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Bank roll is awesome.

User is offline   ---- 

ReaperMan, on 16 December 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

Bank roll is awesome.

The level, or the one you carry around with you?

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I think that Bank Roll was one of the levels which was displayed during a video review of the game in a local PC gaming TV programme I had watched back in the day (I think I hadn't played Duke3D even once back then). Then again, it could have been Red Light District (which was definitely featured in the review), my memory is quite foggy on that.

Fahrenheit is the breast...I mean the best...classic map.

User is offline   Raptomex 

I remember having difficulty navigating/finding key cards throughout the entire game compared to Doom that is. I'm going to go with Lunar Apocalypse. I love the space theme but the LA maps are my favorite.

User is offline   Silentwulf 

I picked Shrapnel City. As mentioned in an earlier post, I think a lot of the early levels feel very, amateur. If not that, some of the design choices make my head spin o.o'
It's by no means a bad episode, probably my least favorite, possibly tied with "The Birth". Some of the later maps in Shrapnel are fantastic though.

L.A. Meltdown and Lunar Apocalypse are tied for my favorites.

Meltdown has very iconic, memorable levels. Each standing out in their own right.
Lunar is more memorable as a whole, as opposed to each individual episodes. Some of the architecture is outright stunning for the Build engine. Great lighting and atmosphere.
I can easily see why it's not someone cup of tea. Ironically I prefer the urban environments in Duke games, but Lunar feels like the "best built" episode.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

The Birth is gimmicky, dull, and unfair at times. It also feels unfinished.

This post has been edited by Viper The Rapper: 15 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

User is offline   Komenja 

Flood Zone and Babe Land are the only levels I outright dislike playing. I really can't come up with a reason why I don't like them, I just know that whenever I see those words on the loading screen I think "Ah fuck, this again."

User is offline   leilei 

Babe Land's mandatory secret finding for level progression at the shooting gallery? Both maps emphasizing diving underwater to take cover in combat?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options