Duke4.net Forums: Metal Gear Solid : Ground Zeroes on pc - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Metal Gear Solid : Ground Zeroes on pc  "The next Metal Gear is coming to pc."

User is offline   Ronin 

Just saw this on IGN it looks very impressive to me, either way this is news I have been hoping to hear for a long time. Looks like you get to play as Big Boss again and its has a more open world setting, maybe taking place very late 70's or very early 80's.

http://ie.ign.com/ar...emo-impressions

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I've never played the MGS solid games before, I've heard good things about it and this trailer has me excited for it.

This post has been edited by Wesker500: 02 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Well it would be a waste for them to make such an optimized on PC engine and not release a game with it. I wouldn't mind for them to make a Silent Hill game with it like Kojima said he would like to see done as well.

It'll be nice for it to return to the PC after all this time since only the first two games came to the PC.

User is offline   trustn0! 

View PostTetsuo, on 02 September 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

Well it would be a waste for them to make such an optimized on PC engine and not release a game with it. I wouldn't mind for them to make a Silent Hill game with it like Kojima said he would like to see done as well.

It'll be nice for it to return to the PC after all this time since only the first two games came to the PC.

This is japan we are talking about.
You would be hard pressed to find good PC ports of any japanese developed game.

Now then.
Im intrigued.
The only MGS game i ever liked was snake eater but i never considered the series as part of the stealth genre.

This does look interesting but personally,id like to see more actual gameplay and less cutscenes.

Oh and speaking of which,is it me or does "Ground Zeroes" just sound...dumb?
Then again

Posted Image

Revengeance isnt a word.

User is offline   Ronin 

View Posttrustn0!, on 02 September 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

The only MGS game i ever liked was snake eater but i never considered the series as part of the stealth genre.

Metal Gear invented stealth gameplay as far a I know, in MGS 3 you could complete the game with out killing anyone, but that requires a serious amount of stealth.

I would not worry about quality on the pc version, Kojima doesn't mess around, he delivers.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 02 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

View PostRipemanewone, on 02 September 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Metal Gear invented stealth gameplay as far a I know,

Posted Image

Uhum.
Stealth goes back a long way if you want specifics but MGS pales in comparison to the Thief series and even Hitman as far as stealth goes.

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 02 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View Posttrustn0!, on 02 September 2012 - 02:48 PM, said:

Uhum.
Stealth goes back a long way if you want specifics but MGS pales in comparison to the Thief series and even Hitman as far as stealth goes.

Cough, cough.

Posted Image

Metal Gear, 1987.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 02 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Thats Metal Gear
Not solid

Very different.
I even specified that the Solid franchise has never done stealth as well as either Thief or Hitman.
I can also argue about Splinter Cell but i never played the games outside of Pandora Tomorrow.

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 02 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View Posttrustn0!, on 02 September 2012 - 02:55 PM, said:

Thats Metal Gear
Not solid

It's a metal Gear, it's a stealth game, so what? Too old to even be considered? It's a decent game.

Sure the other stealth games you mention do some elements better than MGS but I like them all for their different strengths, Tenchu is another great one. To me, Snake Eater is the best stealth game ever made and I have played nearly all decent stealth games, but that's just me, it worked for me.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 02 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Its just that the original Metal Gear really is way too old to judge.
I cant even claim to have played the damn thing to say anything for or against it.

Arguably it created the stealth genre,id agree.

But Solid just feels wrong calling it a stealth series considering the games have you fighting Megazords on aircraft carriers with a portable rocket launcher mimicking Matrix choreography.
Id say there are action games with stealth playstyles,not stealth games proper.

To me the greatest stealth game is probably Thief 2 or Blood Money.
Fuck,Deus Ex has more stealth in it than MGS4.

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 02 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View Posttrustn0!, on 02 September 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

I cant even claim to have played the damn thing to say anything for or against it.

But Solid just feels wrong calling it a stealth series considering the games have you fighting Megazords on aircraft carriers with a portable rocket launcher mimicking Matrix choreography.
Id say there are action games with stealth playstyles,not stealth games proper.

To me the greatest stealth game is probably Thief 2 or Blood Money.

MGS4 did go more action orientated, people were not happy with that but it is the only one, the rest are all about stealth (not including those weird card games, Acid I think). The boss fights in Metal Gear games were always mental, it's one of its greatest charms and a break from the sneaking but even most of these bosses have a sneaky way or two to kill them. Did you ever fight "The End" in Snake Eater? That's a long stealth boss battle done well. Metal Gear games without crazy bosses would be like MegaMan with no bosses. A guy that shoots bees at you? Why not, there are enough overly realistic games out there already so there is room for Metal Gear and its unique take on stealth and crazy characters.

In general you are meant to play the Metal Gear games with stealth as your number one weapon, just like in Hitman and just like in Hitman you can run in guns blazing if that's what you are into. In Thief you can't do this as you will lose a fight with any more than one guard so it's nearly a pure stealth game and great as that is, it does get kind of boring after a while. There is no release, you can't just go nuts and snap a load of necks.

Splinter Cell has no personality, the games are well designed but you are always fighting or avoiding generic, faceless bad guys. At least Thief had interesting enemy types like The Hammerites.

The Metal Gear universe is a bit wacky but I like the story. I don't care about the plot in any of the other games except maybe Thief. Also the stealth mechanics in some Metal Gear games are so complex that you would need a few playthroughs to fully understand what's at your disposal. Every time I play MGS 3 I learn a few knew things, it's very deep.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 02 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Who said it was coming to PC?

View PostRipemanewone, on 02 September 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

MGS4 did go more action orientated, people were not happy with that. The boss fights in Metal Gear games were always mental, it's one of its greatest charms and a break from the sneaking but even most of these bosses have a sneaky way or two to kill them. Did you ever fight "The End" in Snake Eater? That's a long stealth boss battle done well.

In general you are meant to play the Metal Gear games with stealth as your number one weapon, just like in Hitman and just like in Hitman you can run in guns blazing if that's what you are into. In Thief you can't do this as you will lose a fight with any more than one guard so it's nearly a pure stealth game and great as that is, it does get kind of boring after a while. There is no release, you can't just go nuts and snap a load of necks.

Splinter Cell has no personality, the games are well designed but you are always fighting or avoiding generic, faceless bad guys. At least Thief had interesting enemy types like The Hammerites.

The Metal Gear universe is a bit wacky but I like the story.

I hate the story in MGS.
All of it is utter shit.

But for some bizarre reason i like MGS3 and even its plot.
Maybe because its toned down a notch and it does have the most stealth in the series and i also dont have to take into considering the bullshit that came before.
The End was a great boss,easily the best gameplay moment the series ever had.

And your remark about thief:That is exactly why its a pure stealth game and i prefer it over MGS.
The real show of skill isnt about how fast you can kill stuff,its about BEING a thief.
Moving around in the shadows,stealing shit like a badass.
Its about YOU the player creating your own gameplay experiences in a multilayered nonlinear enviroment.
If i can just start killing everything in sight and get the same results with no penalty it just devolves into another Assasins Creed.

Its pure stealth.
And for that reason alone it is,in my opinion,leagues above MGS.
Sometimes

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 02 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View Posttrustn0!, on 02 September 2012 - 03:42 PM, said:

Its about YOU the player creating your own gameplay experiences in a multilayered nonlinear enviroment.

It's interesting you mention creating you own gameplay with Thief being "pure stealth" while MGS offering gameplay freedom of choice between action and stealth.

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostBurnett, on 02 September 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Who said it was coming to PC?

Kojima himself, the demo above is running on a current spec pc. This one will be multi platform.

View PostBurnett, on 02 September 2012 - 03:49 PM, said:

It's interesting you mention creating you own gameplay with Thief being "pure stealth" while MGS offering gameplay freedom of choice between action and stealth.

The problem is that MGS as a whole is more action oriented.

I am referring to gameplay experiences based upon the mechanics and rules set by the game.
Its not a sandbox.
You cant just go ahead and do whatever you want in a stealth game.

You have to abide by certain rules.
What you can do with those rules though is where the best experiences lie.

In Hitman,you CAN go ahead and go nuts but you will awarded poorly for it and you can die very easily.
Thief you can do the same buts its gonna put your nuts in a vice if you want to do it.

In MGS the most you will get is a slap on the wrist.

This post has been edited by trustn0!: 02 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

View Posttrustn0!, on 02 September 2012 - 03:55 PM, said:

In Hitman,you CAN go ahead and go nuts but you will awarded poorly for it.
Thief you can do the same buts its gonna put your nuts in a vice if you want to do it.

In MGS the most you will get is a slap on the wrist.

In MGS 3 you have to pass every person you killed in that river and they attack you making the fight longer and harder, I once got to the river after an aggressive play though an had to deal with hundreds of ghosts of the men I had killed. Also if you get seen or go on a killing spree the guards often call in back up and return with better weapons making it harder. In Thief you get no more punishment, you get spotted, you run off and hide, you get back to business similar to all stealth games apart from the early Splinter Cell games where it's game over if you are seen, which sucks.

In Thief if you feel like a fight you are dead if there is any more than one person, you can't go on a rampage. I would say that there are easily far more stealthy options available to you in Metal Gear than in Thief or Hitman, giving you even more freedom to play with the rules. Even in Hitman a lot of the stealth mechanics are context sensitive and once off events like spraying ether on a teenage girls knickers so the pervy bodyguard gets knocked out when he sneaks into the room for a quick sniff, where as in Metal Gear the mechanics are more organic, they can be used all the time, in many different ways.

You prefer Thief, I prefer Metal Gear that's pretty much it.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 02 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

I call bullshit on that.

Both Deus Ex and MGS4 you can choose to either go silently or go guns blazing.
Going the stealthy way in MGS4 rewards you in more Drebin points.
I am replaying MGS4 now because of the trophy support patch.

Just because it was shown running on pc, doesn't mean that it will be released on pc at all.
Unless anybody here can provide at least one official statement that this game will come to pc instead of just ps3 and 360, I refuse to accept that this game has a chance at coming on pc.
It doesn't even make any sense to bring the game of a series to an audience that never played the former games.
Most pc gamers are not familiar with this series other than seeing trailers of it.
To randomly bring a game from the middle of the series to pc, makes no sense at all.
I don't even know the characters or the story, so why would I even bother playing a game with a complex story that spans since previous games that were never released on pc?

If they want to expand to the pc audience, they should either release all of their former mgs games on pc too, or they should make sure this new game has absolutely nothing in common with the story of the former games.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 03 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

User is offline   thatguy 

Japanese attempt at Splinter Cell anyone?

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 03 September 2012 - 04:40 PM, said:

Japanese attempt at Splinter Cell anyone?

Actually this series is legendary and believe it or not, has a much older and bigger fanbase than splinter cell has.
It's at least 25 years old if I recall correctly.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 03 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

That bald scorched guy in the trailer look awfully like Freddy Krueger! ;) Anyone agree?

View PostMr.Deviance, on 03 September 2012 - 07:36 PM, said:

Actually this series is legendary and believe it or not, has a much older and bigger fanbase than splinter cell has.
It's at least 25 years old if I recall correctly.

A game can be old, but a game that takes a lot of ideas on another franchise and call it its own still doesn't give it the right of being original. Metal Gear and Splinter Cell have been two unique games....this metal gear looks and plays A LOT like splinter cell. Something that can be discussed with the changes made in MGS4. Maybe this game won't be 80% cutscenes? nah. Anyways, are you saying the gameplay seen in the original Metal Gear justifies its originality in today's game? Really?

This post has been edited by s.b.Newsom: 04 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 04 September 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Maybe this game won't be 80% cutscenes?

Did you actually play MGS4?

User is offline   Ronin 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 04 September 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

A game can be old, but a game that takes a lot of ideas on another franchise and call it its own still doesn't give it the right of being original. Metal Gear and Splinter Cell have been two unique games....this metal gear looks and plays A LOT like splinter cell. Something that can be discussed with the changes made in MGS4. Maybe this game won't be 80% cutscenes? nah. Anyways, are you saying the gameplay seen in the original Metal Gear justifies its originality in today's game? Really?

I am of the impression you never played a Metal Gear game and know nothing about the games as a result. They are incredibly innovative games, Kojima doesn't go around looking for neat ideas to copy like some sort of an intelligent, slim, Japanese version of George Broussard. He wants his games to be unique. Splinter Cell is kind of bland and devoid of character, Micheal Ironside or not, the Sam Fisher character is boring.

View PostBurnett, on 04 September 2012 - 11:19 AM, said:

Did you actually play MGS4?

Its a joke. The game just has really long cutscenes.

User is offline   Ronin 

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 04 September 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Its a joke. The game just has really long cutscenes.

You are a really long cutscene.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

...Too old? WHAT?! It's a fantastic game. Even for it's time the control is decent, the gameplay is decent, the graphics - though dated now, are very good. It's a very effective game. The grand daddy of stealth games.

What you're saying is like saying we can't judge Wolfenstein 3D as a First Person Shooter, because it's 20 years old. It's just ridiculous.

In fact, dare I say I think a decent remake of the original Metal Gear would actually be awesome.

View PostRipemanewone, on 04 September 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

You are a really long cutscene.

Yo momma is a really long cut scene. Posted Image

User is offline   Bloodshot 

Thief is definitely the most innovative stealth game, as it was the first game to use mechanics other then line-of-sight stealth gameplay. As far as I know, it may even be the only game to have an actual spectrum of light levels that directly effect how well the AI can detect you, as well as sound volume effecting the AI as well, rather then just a black and white "loud" or "not loud", or "hidden" and "visible".

As far as influence goes, Metal Gear probably originally created the stealth genre, but Thief was basically the game responsible for all the forced stealth sections in tons of games after it's inception. That, and the game is generally much harder stealth-wise then even metal gear games on the hardest difficulty, as hard as they may be.

Plus the story was extremely well written, and the setting was very original.

This post has been edited by Bloodshot: 05 September 2012 - 08:54 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

A new weird trailer for a new Metal Gear game can be found here, at the moment it's unknown whether it's set Ground Zeros or Metal Gear Solid 5.

http://www.geeksofdo...l-gear-solid-5/

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options