• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dnf On Steam?

If this happens I'll eat my edible underwear

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

'cough'
DNF wont be on steam...unless 3DR decides to put there games on steam which they havnt announced anything for or have any plans to do.

User is offline   peoplessi 

• Honored Donor

I don't see how the older games would have any relevance to that. I bet they are thinking about the options - is it a viable choice? Are there better alternatives? Would such alternatives stand the test of time? Last effort certainly wen't down under too quick. Steam is quite well tested but you never know.

Also, I think DNF is closer of being GFW(Games for Windows) LIVE title than Steam title. It could be both, but I bet it's GFW LIVE isn't that far off.

This post has been edited by peoplessi: 12 September 2008 - 11:08 AM

View Postpeoplessi, on Sep 12 2008, 08:08 PM, said:

Also, I think DNF is closer of being GFW(Games for Windows) LIVE title than Steam title. It could be both, but I bet it's GFW LIVE isn't that far off.

If it is GfW it would be cool to have the disk in the drive and be able to play straight away (like Halo 2) as this will reduce the wait for DNF hehe.

Making it GfW will delay the game as when they have finished creating content they still will have months of work ahead of them getting everything ready for a simultanious PC/360 release which is undoubtedly they way they would do it if it ends up being Games for Windows.

This post has been edited by Sinisterambo: 17 September 2008 - 09:33 AM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

It doesn't have to be PC/360 simultaneous release with GfW.

Besides, these are the things you plan ahead of time and prepare while making the final touches. You can have a few guys put together the stuff needed for GfW and LIVE while your mappers and testers work.

• Honored Donor

The requirements for GfW are quite subtle in the end. It remains to be seen how far Microsoft is willing to develop that "platform".

User is offline   Montykoro 

No steam..

No GMF....

Retail box NOW!!!

User is offline   Echo Black 

I would enjoy a Steam release. Preload then playing DNF the second it's officially out would be great.

I would dig DNF being on steam I think steam is the future of gaming and I hope that the next xbox is dl only. I prefer that because you own everything you buy forever on an account.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

You sorta bumped a 5 month old thread.
Oh well, I would love to see it on steam.
So I could be in and playing as soon as it was released (of course i would have to go buy the LCE later on)

User is offline   Defcon VI 

I think that they, will use steam....
But only because its DRM, 3drealms can't risk losing a lot of money, just like Cryteck did.....

View Postzchri9, on Feb 18 2009, 01:46 PM, said:

You sorta bumped a 5 month old thread.
Oh well, I would love to see it on steam.
So I could be in and playing as soon as it was released (of course i would have to go buy the LCE later on)

i didn't want to start a whole new thread about steam if there was already one. Plus with DNF 5 months is a drop in a bucket :)

User is offline   Kathy 

Steam is the only way I can acquire game legaly on day one.

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

True True, Lotan

User is offline   Defcon VI 

Yea, Lotan it must be one of the biggest problem, being a gamer and living in Russia.....

User is offline   Kathy 

Maybe. But I'm not in Australia at least. :)

It's not convenient to buy blurays, though. That really is a pain in the ass. But that's mainly because I'm living in a small town. In Moscow that's less of a problem. Same with games or any other stuff.

User is offline   Micki! 

• Candy Consumptionist & Administrator

In my city we have pretty much only 3 stores i'd ever buy my games at...
I wish the town would get a new eletronic store soon, one just ran bancrupt and got closed down...

I'm not too stressed with the release dates though, Denmark usually gets the stuff in a reasonable amount of time,nothing that bugs me... Besides, i still dig boxes and big manuals...
I hate the fact that most new games have a manual of barely 10-15 pages... and i'm not a big fan of PDF manuals either... I like the little old booklet manuals, they seem more charming and more of a nice extra filler for the whole package...

User is offline   Lead 

I kind of hope they do go Steam.

I just wonder if they will because I've heard Valve can ask for a fairly big percent of your sales for doing so. That might have been why Prey originally went with another Steam-like client.

I kind of like the idea of not having to fuck with CDs, being able to uninstall and reinstall the game at will, or worrying about losing my jewel case and cd-key with it for games which are online play. Once I buy it, its in my account and I can get my games no matter what.

• Honored Donor

But you have to worry if you wan't to play your games after moving to another country. Not to mention Valve has the sole right to disable your account. I don't like Steam that much if it gains true monopoly, like it almost has. Too much control on private corporation.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostLead, on Feb 21 2009, 04:51 PM, said:

I just wonder if they will because I've heard Valve can ask for a fairly big percent of your sales for doing so. That might have been why Prey originally went with another Steam-like client.

Scott Miller said the problem is more about having all the code and work being sent to a rival developer.

View PostLotan, on Feb 22 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

Scott Miller said the problem is more about having all the code and work being sent to a rival developer.

this shouldn't matter.

View PostLotan, on Feb 22 2009, 06:49 PM, said:

As far as I remember his issues where three fold:

1. A competitor getting access to sales/revenue data/business secrets.
2. Financially helping a competitor by them getting $$$ from 3D Realms.
3. Valve's share of the pie being so big making Steam almost expensive as working with a publisher.

I really wish the next-gen.biz podcast with him was still up, it had some nice gems.

User is offline   Kathy 

I have all of the next-gen podcasts. I can send 6th episode (with Miller) to Yatta to host on duke4.net. Yatta?

I had found a source for this but that copy of the file was severely damaged. Could you upload your copy somewhere?

User is offline   Kathy 

http://home.onego.ru...06_20061016.mp3

Wohoo it works. YAY!!. Thanks alot.

Does anyone agree with scott that steam will eventually fade away?

User is offline   flarty 

steam has gotten bigger and better sine its release i use it on a daily basis, and it really is fantastic, if only if valve offered server browser support for all games offered on steam. its catalog keeps getting bigger and even indie developers use it as a viable option. Personally i think steam is here to stay.

View PostMrAdidaKing, on Feb 23 2009, 06:01 PM, said:

Does anyone agree with scott that steam will eventually fade away?

Well that depends on other contingent circumstances. If say a consortium of game development studios and publishers together form a competitive digital delivery company that could considerably hurt Valve and Steam. If the developers and publishers where to boycott Steam(On a rationale like that of Scott Miller) it could fade away pretty quickly. But we will see.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options