Duke4.net Forums: Dolph Lundgren thinking about being Duke Nukem? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dolph Lundgren thinking about being Duke Nukem?  "I think he could do it"

User is offline   xMobilemux 

I saw this a while ago and posted it on facebook but I think I should post it here.

Dolph Lundgren was asked if there was any character or franchise out now that he would want to act in if there was a movie and the first that came to his mind was the good ol Duke Nukem.

- http://screenrant.co...e-nukem-he-man/
(go to 2:17 for Duke Nukem Part)

He didnt say anything other than he thinks Duke looks like him (or what he used to look like) and that he actually thinks Duke is a new guy, so nothing about him actually wanting to be in a movie if it were made, but I think he's interested since he brought up Duke.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Very interesting, but im not sure if Dolph could do it anymore. Not unless the story was about a much older Duke, and I don't think any company would go for that with what would essentially be the start of a whole series of films.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Yeah, he probably would have made a real good Duke when he was younger. But now, well.. I saw him in the latest Universal Soldier movie and damn he's looking old!

Him saying he would like to do it though doesn't mean he's going to do it or it's even a possibility. There's tons of things lots of people would like to do.

User is offline   necroslut 

Dolph would be the perfect Duke! The only actor that I know of that I think could do it. He got the looks, the build, the voice, and is not half bad as an actor. He's not that old either, and certainly doesn't look that old. Duke was never a teenager to begin with.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

As the current "young" Duke that we saw in DNF he could match the body because the 2011 DNF Duke isnt as buff as the Duke we know, but he couldnt match the young face.

But as the Real Duke, the 2007/2009 Duke I'd say he has the face for it, just not the build.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Picture him with a crew cut and some shades and it could work, he just needs the build.

If he was younger, maybe. But he's too old now. The fact that he was B movie action star helps too.

I don't think he's too old. He's about the age Duke should have been in DNF, until GBX fucked up the model.

• Judge Mental

necroslut, on 06 September 2012 - 04:09 AM, said:

I don't think he's too old. He's about the age Duke should have been in DNF, until GBX fucked up the model.

Dolph is ten years older than Duke, going by the official backstory which was something 3D Realms established, not Gearbox.

Commando Nukem, on 06 September 2012 - 09:48 AM, said:

Dolph is ten years older than Duke, going by the official backstory which was something 3D Realms established, not Gearbox.

Dolph doesn't look that old, I think he looks just about right for Duke as he looked in the pre-Gearbox material.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Not to mention, movie magic can make him look younger. I think Dolph would do an excellent job.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

BTW, suddenly this pic of Blake Stone reminded me of Dolph:
Posted Image

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

MrFlibble, on 19 September 2012 - 02:46 PM, said:

BTW, suddenly this pic of Blake Stone reminded me of Dolph:
Posted Image

Interesting considering that this...
Posted Image
...looks nothing like Dolph. More like a young Sylvester Stallone type.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Dolph could do it.. Look at the trailer for the film, "One in the Chamber"

He looks way younger here then he did in Expendables.. He could do it. Also, if you've seen Expendables 2, you know JCVD looked kind of like Duke, only he'd HAVE to be voiced over by Jon St. John. (My pic is of JCVD, but for better example see below):

Posted Image

If all else fails, there's still good old Howie Long.

But JCVD is short and dubbing sounds bad, I think Dolph's voice is close enough.

• Honored Donor

Yes I know, JCVD would not make a great Duke, but he did look somewhat like him there you've got to admit. I was only giving other ideas, but I do wish that Dolph would be the final choice, only thing is... EVERY year someone finds another person who could possibly play Duke. Dolph has always seemed to be the main choice, he was going to be in a Duke film directed by the guy who made the shitty Mortal Kombat movies, but that never happened. I think he has enough experience to play the role of Duke. Let's face it.. The movie is going to get bad reviews by critics for sure, but as long as it makes the fans (especially the diehard fans) happy, then the film will be a success. Maybe a film would actually help the franchise more then we all may think.

Just think, Duke Nukem on the big screen, then they'd have all this merchandise. Then Duke 5 comes out, then there would be spin-off games. I think we're thinking too hard on who should play Duke, and what the script should be like instead of thinking about the future of the series if a film was made.

Duke Nukem has all the power to make a great action flick.

Another example of how well Dolph could pull it off (This comes from One in the Chamber, which came out a few weeks ago).
Posted Image

This post has been edited by gerolf: 21 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

User is offline   t800 

Sorry to burst your enthusiasm bubble, guys - but lets face the truth - for us dukers it is good that we wont see any Duke film.
Just think about it - have you ever seen any good film based on game? Try to remember of any remarkable one. It doesnt come to mind, right?
I dont think there is any even worth seeing second time. Most of them disgusted me with their lack of even remote respect to its model material, the game it is supposed to be based on and they even have nerve to use its name. There are so many examples to name that I would fill entire page of this topic.
And no, I am not cinematic snob who despise them for being simple or "stupid", I even like some C grade action films.
What makes me angry about all these films are their creators and "effort" they put in them. Most of these directors, producers and screenwriters never played games that are model materials for their films. They dont understand them!
Just one example to name - I love Max Payne 1 and 2. When I first heard about film based on it, I screamed with joy. Such a good atmosphere, strong characters and gripping story. How can this go wrong, right? Wrong! That film made so sad and mad at the same time. It didnt show lack of respect to its material, oh no, it downrightly ridiculed it with its insulting ignorance!

Sorry for spoiling your fun, but I lost faith in any good films based on games... ;)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

t800, on 21 September 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

Just one example to name - I love Max Payne 1 and 2. When I first heard about film based on it, I screamed with joy. Such a good atmosphere, strong characters and gripping story. How can this go wrong, right? Wrong! That film made so sad and mad at the same time. It didnt show lack of respect to its material, oh no, it downrightly ridiculed it with its insulting ignorance!
I haven't played May Payne and therefore had no expectations. In this respect the movie was quite OK compared to any other movie based on a game I remember (Besides Doom I haven't played any of them).

About Dolph: He would have been my favourite Duke Nukem for many years but now he's just to old. Looking like Douche Nukem Forever's father would be OK but not his grandfather.

Best would be a DNF wall boob/blowjob/crap throwing movie. I'd never watch it and therefore could not be disappointed.

gerolf, on 21 September 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Another example of how well Dolph could pull it off (This comes from One in the Chamber, which came out a few weeks ago).
Posted Image

Some shades on that and it's perfect. ;)

IMO there's been a few video game adaptations that were decent - even if most of them strayed way too far from the source material to even be considered real adaptations. I think the biggest problem lies in that Hollywood/USA doesn't really make the kind of action movies that inspired Duke in the first place.

• Honored Donor

Exactly.. What we need is a director that's into making retro, 1980s styled action films, the ones with those crazy soundtracks that were not just suspenseful BS and crappy generic rock bands, but were real musical scores with at least one Heavy Metal song for the ending credits. There's so many ways it could work out, but I do agree, most movies based off of games suck, except for Street Fighter, that movie is hysterical, $3 well spent on that. The Resident Evil movies are not that bad compared to something like Hitman.

The real question should no longer be, "Who should play Duke Nukem?" it should be, "Who should direct Duke Nukem?"

The reason all those films suck is because of the director, not because the actors to be honest, they'll do whatever pays.

gerolf, on 21 September 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

Exactly.. What we need is a director that's into making retro, 1980s styled action films, the ones with those crazy soundtracks that were not just suspenseful BS and crappy generic rock bands, but were real musical scores with at least one Heavy Metal song for the ending credits. There's so many ways it could work out, but I do agree, most movies based off of games suck, except for Street Fighter, that movie is hysterical, $3 well spent on that. The Resident Evil movies are not that bad compared to something like Hitman.

The real question should no longer be, "Who should play Duke Nukem?" it should be, "Who should direct Duke Nukem?"

The reason all those films suck is because of the director, not because the actors to be honest, they'll do whatever pays.

Really I think suckage often has more to do with the producer(s) than the director. Agree about the soundtrack. I think an asian director might be good, many asian countries make action films differently.

User is offline   Kathy 

necroslut, on 22 September 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

I think an asian director might be good, many asian countries make action films differently.

It will still be a hollywood movie despite the director's nationality.

Burnett, on 22 September 2012 - 04:00 PM, said:

It will still be a hollywood movie despite the director's nationality.

It would affect the style, though. Most of the US action films I've found interesting in the later years have been made by non-american directors.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yes, because Duke Nukem is totally influenced by Asian action films.

John Carpenter should direct the Duke Nukem movie.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Captain Awesome, on 23 September 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Just like Dolph: his days are over. Anything he touched within the last fifteen years turned into a steaming pile of shit. If should turn out to be a DNF movie then only Uwe Boll could make it close to the original then.

That's not what I said, but IMO there are more old-school action movies being made in asia today than in the USA.
That would certainly be interesting, really can't see it happening though. And isn't he semi-retired?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Man, have you seen any John Woo movies? I would watch a Duke Nukem Asian action film.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

LeoD, on 23 September 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Just like Dolph: his days are over. Anything he touched within the last fifteen years turned into a steaming pile of shit. If should turn out to be a DNF movie then only Uwe Boll could make it close to the original then.

Uwe actually did a great adaptation of Postal. It was really on point.

• Judge Mental

Captain Awesome, on 25 September 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

Uwe actually did a great adaptation of Postal. It was really on point.

Because Postal was always about incoherent crass and violent shit. It fit UWE's incoherent, crass, retarded shit. Posted Image

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I reckon. Postal was a good film. I actually think Uwe isn't a terrible director and the whole German film industry money making scheme is most likely why all of his films were so bad.

User is offline   Malgon 

Sorry to go off topic, but I had to post it. ;)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options