Duke4.net Forums: Blood source code release now a *real* possibility - Duke4.net Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood source code release now a *real* possibility  "thanks to Jace Hall, he wants your input"

User is offline   DaveyDoomsday 

• Interceptor PR

View PostDustFalcon85, on 23 May 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

Now that Atari's assets are going to auction just recently. Hopefully Jace Hall will negotiate w/ Atari again to buy back Blood and bring the IP into friendly territory.

http://www.gamasutra..._to_auction.php

How come nobody ever asks about the Blake Stone source code?! ;)

User is online   Lunick 

View PostDaveyDoomsday, on 23 May 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

How come nobody ever asks about the Blake Stone source code?! ;)

The guy who made / is still making the ECWolf (Wolfenstein 3D based engine games) port may know something about that as he contacted 3D Realms about that and now won't tell anybody about what he got from them.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Quick someone lend me 3.5 million, so i can buy the roller coaster tycoon franchise.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

How come nobody ever asks about the Blake Stone source code?! :P

How about a Blake Stone reboot from Interceptor? ;)

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostTetsuo, on 23 May 2013 - 06:02 PM, said:

I would like to see that. Not joking.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Full 3D scientist murdering with space gun? Sign me up.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Why doesn't Jace Hall or Matt Saettler just simply leak the source on some site and let it spread like wildfire? From what I presume, Atari holds the IP rights, and I doubt they would want to get into some extra legal trouble after having filed for bankruptcy. Not to mention since we know more than one person has the source, they wouldn't even know who to come after even if they tried.

This post has been edited by Radar: 23 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Leaking it wouldn't make it open. Everything that comes through it would be pretty much a 'warez'.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It could potentially force them to release it properly though.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Yeah, leaking it wouldn't do much good because no one would have a license to actually do anything with it. They couldn't even legally look at the source code and draw inspiration from it as far as I know.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

And therein lies the beauty. Are they really gonna prosecute over something so minor? At that point they might as well just release it so everybody shuts up and leaves them alone.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You'd be surprised... a lot of the script kiddies who organized or started DDoS and other attacks during the "summer of hax" around the PSN takedown have been v& by the authorities. This includes most/all of the members of LulzSec.

Then again, ZDoom gets away with a fan reimplementation of Strife. (The Strife source itself is almost certainly lost to history.)

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostTetsuo, on 23 May 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

They couldn't even legally look at the source code and draw inspiration from it as far as I know.

Can you actually prohibit someone from looking at something?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostHendricks266, on 23 May 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

You'd be surprised... a lot of the script kiddies who organized or started DDoS and other attacks during the "summer of hax" around the PSN takedown have been v& by the authorities. This includes most/all of the members of LulzSec.

Then again, ZDoom gets away with a fan reimplementation of Strife. (The Strife source itself is almost certainly lost to history.)

But that was actually a big deal. Taking down PSN causes major problems with credibility and perhaps even profits. Leaking the Blood source is small stuff. As of the right now the only reason they won't do it, as far as we know, is because they're too lazy and don't care about it.

View PostFox, on 23 May 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

View PostJimmy, on 06 April 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Welcome to The Baby Boomers' America.

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 23 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostFox, on 23 May 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

I was thinking of how for example. Let's say the windows source code was leaked. WineHQ couldn't look at it and glean stuff from it and actually use it as they could get in hot water. It's more the using what you find that would be prohibited not the looking. Although if you want to say that you didn't rip off their code without authorisation it's best not to touch it at all. I'm sure someone else can explain it better than I have.. I just got up and I'm still waking up. They may not get in trouble for it.. who knows.. but it certainly is not kosher.

Yeah, they probably didn't use leaked source code to implement that either.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 24 May 2013 - 04:53 AM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostTetsuo, on 24 May 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

No, the ZDooM(and others supported Strife)'s Strife support are all based on his SvStrife code, and those code based on Kaiser's work from the reverse-engineering of Strife.exe, when its source code considered be lost by someone of Rogue Entertainment's former employee.Nothing to do with leaked shit.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 24 May 2013 - 06:59 AM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I never said or even implied they used leaked source code for it. Read more carefully.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 24 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

How come nobody ever asks about the Blake Stone source code?! :P

Because it's gone, kind of.

View PostTetsuo, on 24 May 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

Strife source got leaked? I don't think so ;)

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 24 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Didn't means DID NOT people, sheesh. You sound like damn fools when you fail to comprehend that.

I said "Yeah, they probably DIDN'T use leaked source code to implement that either."
not
"They probably used leaked source code to implement it."..

Clear enough? Big difference.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 24 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Didn't use it, that's clear, but I have never heard of it being leaked.

The Source Code I would like to see released under GPL is Redneck Rampage collection. RR reboot either by Devolver Digital, Flying Wild Hog, Interceptor Entertainment better yet, reuniting the ppl from Xatrix Entertainment everyone? Double Battered and Dixie Fried!

User is offline   Nukeaholic 

Posted Image
Spot on, couldn't agree more! I think my life would be complete if this ever happens.

LulzSec got ousted by a bunch of shitty post-modern feminists unrelated to that event.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

View PostDaedolon, on 24 May 2013 - 01:22 PM, said:

Didn't use it, that's clear, but I have never heard of it being leaked.

Yeah, no I didn't even mean to imply that there was even a choice. Like it was leaked and they chose not to use it. No, I never said it was leaked... just that they didn't use any leaked code.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options