Duke4.net Forums: Ugh, it just dawned on me how bad the main campaign is. - Duke4.net Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ugh, it just dawned on me how bad the main campaign is.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Thinks might not have been so bad if Gearbox had just kept their mouths shut. If they had been more realistic about the how the game turned out compared to what people would think they're getting, then people would not have been so disappointed/had their expectations completely smashed.

Ignoring all the typical hype such as "the game's awesome and/or incredibly interactive (and white boards and cheap arcade games don't count)
  • If you liked Duke 3D you're going to love DNF
  • Heavily, heavily implying mod tools
  • saying there are secrets and secret levels

Gearbox might not be responsible for how the game turned out, but they (along with the publisher) are completely responsible for how the game was perceived by the current generation of games. And perception is a big thing.
On top of that, I believe it was totally in Gearbox's power to do things like add proper PC graphics options, and manual saving. The number of times I heard "This is going to fuck up my hair" after dying from octababies in the underwater section... I was seriously ready to lose it.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 28 August 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

No. People were not looking for a reason to tear it apart. Reasons are very evident in the game.

People, on the contrary to the mass cynicism people seem to carry around, wanted Duke Nukem Forever to be good and indeed FREAKING AWESOME.

I don't know how many times (before the game was released) I read or heard comments like "If it's not the best game ever, we're gonna tear it to the ground with joy". And once the whole thing started, the easy thing was to jump on the train. It was a bit of bullying, people got a kick out of tearing it down. Often for bullshit reasons, that pretty much every other game gets away with. But sure, for many people unrealistic expectations (fuelled by Gearbox' idiotic marketing) contributed. Many were also annoyed because they "had to wait" so long, they felt they deserved nirvana for their "efforts", and would not settle for anything less.

View PostMicky C, on 29 August 2012 - 01:13 AM, said:

Thinks might not have been so bad if Gearbox had just kept their mouths shut. If they had been more realistic about the how the game turned out compared to what people would think they're getting, then people would not have been so disappointed/had their expectations completely smashed.

Ignoring all the typical hype such as "the game's awesome and/or incredibly interactive (and white boards and cheap arcade games don't count)
  • If you liked Duke 3D you're going to love DNF
  • Heavily, heavily implying mod tools
  • saying there are secrets and secret levels

Gearbox might not be responsible for how the game turned out, but they (along with the publisher) are completely responsible for how the game was perceived by the current generation of games. And perception is a big thing.
On top of that, I believe it was totally in Gearbox's power to do things like add proper PC graphics options, and manual saving. The number of times I heard "This is going to fuck up my hair" after dying from octababies in the underwater section... I was seriously ready to lose it.

I agree with you here (except for the saving part), Gearbox really did a disservice to the game the way they promoted it.

View PostLeoD, on 09 July 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

Yeah, replace Michael Bay with Uwe Boll.

Michael Bay destroyed, and I mean DESTROYED the tranformers with his awful, sub par movies. No DNA from the original G1 cartoon.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Did I just agree with Blue Lightning?

View PostCommando Nukem, on 28 June 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

The Doctor Who Cloned me is literally just DNF leftovers repackaged by Triptych, essentially the same exact team that gave us DNF.

I'm a regular broken record on this, but there is nothing in Doctor Who Cloned me that isn't in DNF. It's the same exact gameplay experience as DNF, only it's shorter.

I'm pretty sure the DLC is leftovers from the maingame that didn't make it. So it should be new. Like the models.

The gameplay (locations) is all new. The story is different. There's a lot of difference.
There are a lot of similiarities. But the setting of this DLC and dukes attitude makes it more enjoyable, and i actually liked the main DNF game.

Edit: darn. it was an old post -.-

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 18 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postrasmus thorup, on 18 September 2012 - 04:57 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure the DLC is leftovers from the maingame that didn't make it. So it should be new. Like the models.

The gameplay (locations) is all new. The story is different. There's a lot of difference.
There are a lot of similiarities. But the setting of this DLC and dukes attitude makes it more enjoyable, and i actually liked the main DNF game.

Leftover level design that we had already seen in the leaked documentation. "new models" as in pretty much nothing. A robot, Proton, moon buggy, some random set pieces, the suicide balls.

The only truly new things they added in were the Expander Gun and Proton and his robo-chronies. WHOA!

The story is irrelevant in both games for the most part. Utterly irrelevant. In either case it progresses in the same exact way. You walk up to people, they talk to you for a couple minutes, and then you go on. Either following very linear paths while shooting things or using turrets, or playing the equivalent of scavenger hunt. It's so blatantly a copy and paste job in terms of the coding and level design I don't even know why this is being defended. Side-by-side yeah, shit looks a little different. Instead of a Las Vegas skin, you got the inside of Area 51. Instead of the desert, you have the moon. It's still the same Christ-this-is-linear game play.

A different skin, is not a new experience.

The Holsome mobile is literally the RC Car with a sound playing every now and again. It's got the same speed, the same turn rate. Same everything.

The same goes for the moon buggy. The only difference is the global gravity level is slightly lower. Slightly.

All the environments play exactly as they did in the original game. You go in one direction with no branching, no secondaries, and pretty much no secret areas. None.

User is offline   uh . . . . 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 24 September 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

Leftover level design that we had already seen in the leaked documentation. "new models" as in pretty much nothing. A robot, Proton, moon buggy, some random set pieces, the suicide balls.

The only truly new things they added in were the Expander Gun and Proton and his robo-chronies. WHOA!

The story is irrelevant in both games for the most part. Utterly irrelevant. In either case it progresses in the same exact way. You walk up to people, they talk to you for a couple minutes, and then you go on. Either following very linear paths while shooting things or using turrets, or playing the equivalent of scavenger hunt. It's so blatantly a copy and paste job in terms of the coding and level design I don't even know why this is being defended. Side-by-side yeah, shit looks a little different. Instead of a Las Vegas skin, you got the inside of Area 51. Instead of the desert, you have the moon. It's still the same Christ-this-is-linear game play.

A different skin, is not a new experience.

The Holsome mobile is literally the RC Car with a sound playing every now and again. It's got the same speed, the same turn rate. Same everything.

The same goes for the moon buggy. The only difference is the global gravity level is slightly lower. Slightly.

All the environments play exactly as they did in the original game. You go in one direction with no branching, no secondaries, and pretty much no secret areas. None.

I agree that it wasn't any better than the main game, it had the same pacing and feel. But to be fair though I think it might have to do with the engine and them just not wanting to go all out for an add-on for a poorly received game. I guess people liked it better because there wasn't anything to be expected from it; no expectations or letdowns could have really occurred.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postnecroslut, on 09 July 2012 - 01:54 AM, said:

IMO DNF was a bit like a punk record - the execution wasn't exactly flawless - and that will never go over with most people.

So says you. Must have never heard a record by Nirvana, Dead Kennedys, or FEAR. The punk analogy is way beyond flawed in that most punk bands want their albums to sound the way they sounded.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 25 September 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

So says you. Must have never heard a record by Nirvana, Dead Kennedys, or FEAR. The punk analogy is way beyond flawed in that most punk bands want their albums to sound the way they sounded.

Dude, the punk I listen to is way more punk than the punk you listen to. Of course I have. And when I said "punk record" I meant "shitty 80's tape recording" more than a well-produced Nirvana album. With more underground punk bands, a "good" production wouldn't have been an option even if they wanted it, because there was no money (it's a bit different today with computers and shit, which is why a talk about it in a past tense).
Anyway, an Albert Pyun movie with the usual budget problems is probably more fitting, because 3DR weren't really aiming for the punk thing.
My point was that it has a really rough edge that you have to get past to enjoy it, and as with records with bad sound quality, many people will judge it there and will never really get to the content.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 26 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postnecroslut, on 26 September 2012 - 06:05 AM, said:

Dude, the punk I listen to is way more punk than the punk you listen to.

I'm calling hipster bullshit here. No one is more punk than the Dead Boys.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 26 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 26 September 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

I'm calling hipster bullshit here. No one is more punk than the Dead Boys.

I'm not going into a namedropping contest. Also, this is completely off topic.
But as I prefer the 1990 Captain America movie over the new one, I'll always prefer flawed and interesting or soulful over flawless yet bland. And I'd much rather replay DNF than Gears of War or Crysis 2.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Sounds more like you don't know anything about punk rock.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 27 September 2012 - 12:55 PM, said:

Sounds more like you don't know anything about punk rock.

If you want to namedrop we can do it in PM.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You're the one who started the I'm more punk rock than you thing. Green Day doesn't count, srsly.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 27 September 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

You're the one who started the I'm more punk rock than you thing. Green Day doesn't count, srsly.

Um, you were the one going "you must have never heard Dead Kennedys"... But this is getting pretty ridiculous, as if it wasn't to begin with. And Green Day, come on...

This post has been edited by necroslut: 27 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

You're both ridiculous.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I concur.

I'll just leave it here.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

What the fuck just happened here?

P.S.: I'm a huge fan of punk rock.

This post has been edited by Descent: 11 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

What I dont understand is that Allen Blum Designed some damn good non-linear DN3D maps, (like Hollywood Holocaust), but designed totally linear maps for DNF (one of its big downfalls). What happend with Allen?

View PostRory, on 23 September 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

You sure did.

(About the first 2 of course)

EDIT: Whoa damn that's off topic, and it's been discussed before, but hey whatever.

Doesnt matter. When the greatest cartoon ever made (Transformers G1, first 2 seasons) are butchered to pieces by Micahel Bays monstrosities, something needs to be said. Additionally, Captain Awesome has good taste. Bays japanese-like toonami Transformers look weird and suck. Moreover, too many key charecters are missing, and the storyline is not good. Moreover, the most popular type of transformer , the combiners (espicially the Devestator) is left out, and the most popular and beloved sub-group (the Dinobots) are also nowhere to be seen. Who the hell does Bay think he is? The FTC should freeze his assets and lock his bank accounts.

This post has been edited by Blue Lightning: 12 October 2012 - 08:02 PM

User is offline   NNC 

I really want to see some usermaps from AHB in 2012 for Duke3d. Really. I just want to see how he improved his mapping skills in the last 16 years, also how can he adapt 3DRealms style for current mapping standards.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostBlue Lightning, on 12 October 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

What I dont understand is that Allen Blum Designed some damn good non-linear DN3D maps, (like Hollywood Holocaust), but designed totally linear maps for DNF (one of its big downfalls). What happend with Allen?

Those with basic understandings of how games are made know that a mapper/level designer cannot just start mapping what he wants. There is a larger concept behind the game which has to be followed (be it because of gameplay decision, technical restrictions or whatever).

I really should collect your posts from Steam and here and compile tham into a collection named Clueless.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 25 October 2012 - 05:28 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Anyone who remembers 3DR Forums knows that BL is mostly a tool.

User is offline   Martin 

May I join in on the 'you're shit at being a punk fan' thing? Things like Green Day and Sum 41 are just pop bollocks. Artists like Billy Bragg are real punk.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

All the so-called "real" punk bands are ridiculous posers who think they're cool for criticizing the government. Ooh that's so original.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Implying the Misfits ever gave a fuck about politics. Suck, Jackie, suck!

Am i the only one who loves DNF and the expansion? I really tried hating it..well fuck me, i can't. I have fun playing it, i like Duke , i like the babes, i like the aliens i like the late 90's vibes i get from playing it. I love everything about it. The more i play it and the more i'm thankful it actually came out.

I think i'm just dumb.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Don't you find those long stretches (and there are a lot of them) where nothing happens boring? No enemies, no suspense, no atmosphere, no tension, just "why the fuck aren't I shooting anything" and "why is this so linear" as the two thoughts floating around your head?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 29 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

I thought those moments were the best?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

The best moment was finishing the campaign because I needed the disk space.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options