Duke4.net Forums: Has Anybody Here Ever Beat Amnesia: The Dark Descent? - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has Anybody Here Ever Beat Amnesia: The Dark Descent?  "The most evil game in the world..."

So, according to the title, I'm supposed to ask you guys if any of you ever beat the terrifying game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

I've been playing the game for about a year and a half now, picking it up every now and then, and playing it for about 30 minutes before falling out of my chair and crying. The game is just that scary. And even worse, you can't listen to music to comfort yourself while playing: The game cuts off all other audio while you play it, so no Motley Crue to help you through the trauma. That's just evil!

By the way, John Saint John voiced one of the monsters in the game!

User is offline   Ronin 

I watched my brother beat it and helped him solve some of the puzzles, horrible game, very stressful, but also an excellent work of art.

User is offline   Lunick 

Ahahaha no.

The game currently resides in a special category in my Steam library so I don't have to see it.

User is offline   CruX 

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 15 June 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

So, according to the title, I'm supposed to ask you guys if any of you ever beat the terrifying game called Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Never even played it, but I loved the streamed LP these guys did on it;

User is offline   Sangman 

Yeah I finished it. The game has creepy moments but it's pretty formulaic... Be chased by monster. Run into room. Hide in dark corner for a few minutes. Carry on about your business. Also the ending was pretty shit I thought.

Still, really good game :)

User is offline   Martin 

View PostSangman, on 17 June 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

Yeah I finished it. The game has creepy moments but it's pretty formulaic... Be chased by monster. Run into room. Hide in dark corner for a few minutes. Carry on about your business.

To be fair, what game doesn't totally revolve around a few seconds of unique gameplay repeated over and over. Any game you want to name could probably be broken down into a few basic elements that are constantly repeated until you finish the game. I think Amnesia is interesting because it chooses a few pieces of gameplay that aren't everywhere you look in video gaming. Obviously it just wasn't your thing.

Sang, there were three endings. I thought it was really cool, all three endings!

I beat the game night before last and oh my god. What an intense game. Towards the end, though, I just kinda stopped caring about the monsters because I was so used to them at that point.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostMartin, on 17 June 2012 - 08:39 AM, said:

Obviously it just wasn't your thing.

Don't be silly, of course it was. I loved Amnesia.

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 17 June 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

Sang, there were three endings. I thought it was really cool, all three endings!

Yeah what I actually meant was the point leading up to the endings (
Spoiler
)... It was the least scary moment of the game for me.

Oh yeah,
Spoiler

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Can't play for more than 5 minutes at a time. Still have yet to run into a monster.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Yeah that's a really insane game, as others said the final was disappointing though. Anyway I like it a lot, I played the first half alone but I had to go to a friend's house to finish it together hahahah :D :D mmhhh yeah I couldn't play it alone yet :(

I didn't know John made the voice of the monster, that's cool!

Here's a tip to avoid monsters (besides running and hiding :( ):
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Norvak: 18 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

User is offline   LkMax 

Yet to beat the game. Not because I'm scared, just not in the mood now. My headphone and my dark room awaits. =P
PS: Only played the demo, although I have the full game.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 19 June 2012 - 04:20 AM

User is offline   underTaker 

I have completed this game. It was the scariest horror game i ever played. As always i was plaing this one only at night, when it's dark. I only regret i had no headphones, i had to play it on 5.1 speakers, but still i had moments when i was really scaried. I'm not type of person that is easy to frighten, but this game made it easily ;o Sometimes however i found the AI pretty dumb, when it saw me, and chaseed me to some room, i've hidden behind some kind of wall and few pig corpses it didn't see me. It didn't even move next to the wall i was sitting behind! I'm really looking forward to get Amnesia: Justine, but i can't see it anywhere ;S

This post has been edited by underTaker: 19 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

Well, after I beat Amnesia, I got myself a copy of Penumbra: Black Plague, and I have to say it's very good! I really like it. I don't really think it's as scary as Amnesia, though.

^ I've beaten them in the same order as you did. I too think that Penumbra, and it's addon were great, one thing that was decreasing it's "scrarines" was that fact you could kill all the creatures it has.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostSangman, on 17 June 2012 - 02:47 AM, said:

Yeah I finished it. The game has creepy moments but it's pretty formulaic... Be chased by monster. Run into room. Hide in dark corner for a few minutes. Carry on about your business. Also the ending was pretty shit I thought.Still, really good game :(

I hate to say it, but I'm yet again agree with you. I was tired of "pick up every piece of the puzzle, combine to exit the area". Around the middle of the game it was especially true when you had to go through this several times before. Although, the stuff with prisoners and execution rooms was great.

View PostunderTaker, on 19 June 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

Sometimes however i found the AI pretty dumb, when it saw me, and chaseed me to some room, i've hidden behind some kind of wall and few pig corpses it didn't see me.

I did the same. I doubt it's the dumbness of AI, but more of a feature. These creatures aren't normal and hiding behind corpses was a valid tactic.

It didn't even move next to the wall i was sitting behind! I'm really looking forward to get Amnesia: Justine, but i can't see it anywhere ;S

It's in the laucher. At least it was in the steam version of the game.

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 17 June 2012 - 03:19 PM, said:

I beat the game night before last and oh my god. What an intense game. Towards the end, though, I just kinda stopped caring about the monsters because I was so used to them at that point.

I didn't know there were three endings, another reason to play through the game again.
I have a friend that i wanted to play the game, he played for like 10 minutes before telling me he got sick of the puzzles and got a headache.
I told him it was a lie because he wants to deny he is too scared to play.
Even after a year i can't get him to play the game.

This post has been edited by themaniacboy: 30 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I finished it and loved it. Don't be that scared man ;)

Play the penumbra games by the same guys from the first one to the last (the last one is pretty shitty as it's mostly a tech demo of the new stuff you can do with their engine [ they sell it I believe])

I also played Penumbra right after i finished Amnesia, i have to say that Penumbra was really awsome too! Maybe it had a little bit weaker graphics but it still was as scary as Amnesia, and also plot was great!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options