Duke4.net Forums: Poll about the friendly soldiers - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Poll about the friendly soldiers  "please take a few moments to vote!"

Poll: What woudl you prefer for the AMC soldiers? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Out of these choices which would you prefer?

1. More detailed soldiers (6 votes [35.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.29%

2. Soldiers with different equipment (4 votes [23.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

3. Different soldier types (classes in other words) (7 votes [41.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

Do you think AMC soldiers should level up like X-com?

1. Yes (13 votes [76.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

2. No (4 votes [23.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

User is offline   Jblade 

One of the major themes of Episode 2 will be the AMC Squad's development into a bigger task force; to this end there's going to be new strategic ways you can shape this development via aquring new facilities, arming the army you're building, and other things as well. However one of the things I want some feedback on is the AMC soldiers themselves. They never appeared during a mission in Episode 1 but they will be far more frequent in Episode 2, so more work on them is forthcoming. But I'd like to know what you guys would prefer in the friendly soldiers.

The poll has 3 choices:

1. More detailed Soldiers
This option means that the AMC soldiers would look the same (apart from a new colour theme for them) but they would be more detailed, with 8 frame rotations and hopefully more moves if I can find a sprite artist. They, in theory, would be able to do things like crawl, jump, melee enemies, things like that. Ideally there would also be female sprites as well (Female amc soldiers are already in the game, but they look identical to the male soldiers except being a tiny bit shorter and thinner)

2. Soldiers with different equipment
This option is similar to the first one, but they wouldn't have all the new animation features and stuff. Instead they would have visibly different equipment; say if you researched a small minigun or rocket launcher for the guys than any troops that would have one would walk around and use it. Either that or if you researched a better armour than they'd all be updated to look like they have this new armour.

3. Different Soldier types
This option is the most dramatically different; instead of having all AMC soldiers be the same there would be different 'classes' - the default guys being as they are now but there would be additional AMC soldier types like say power-armoured, medics, engineers .etc .etc They'd all look different, but have the same rough colour scheme to tie them together.

I'd apprecaite any votes, and if you have any ideas than feel free to post them as well.

The second question is inspired by X-com - the AMC agents themselves (James, Sang, Geoffrey .etc) are already considered elite which is why there's no levels or anything like that in the main game, but having ranks for the soldiers would be a nice idea. In theory all AMC soldiers would be chosen at the start of a mission (so you'd have say 10 soldiers, you'd pick 3 out of a new GUI screen to take with you on a mission) Levelling up would make them more accurate, more health, and have resistance to certain attacks (Including some nasty ideas I have with octabrains and other more psychic enemies)

This post has been edited by James: 08 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

User is offline   Somagu 

To begin with, I think, they could develop/start with individual traits that would give them certain abilities/advantages in one area or another. Stuff like being psychically resistant, or doing extra damage to undeads/invaders. You run into, in my opinion, the same problem that most games have with a mechanic like this. Once you get your ideal squad, no one else ever sees the light of day. Perhaps this is just my playing style when it comes to that kind of stuff, however.

Traits themselves I actually am having kind of a hard time even thinking of, but I'm sure you have stuff in mind. Stuff like medical training should probably be a class, if you end up doing the class thing, and not a trait, though. I'll think about this more after I get some sleep.

User is offline   Player Lin 

Hmm, can I want all of them? :)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 08 June 2012 - 06:16 AM

User is offline   t800 

I voted for option No.3 in poll too, but I think 1st one is also very important. If you want to make soldiers actually helpful, not act idiotically and be smart enough to not get stuck in one place (like Daikatana's "legendary" bots :) ) and able to follow player trough entire levels, you should give them same basic abilities like player has (jumping, openig doors, crouching, using ladders, swimming, etc.).

User is offline   Somagu 

View Postt800, on 09 June 2012 - 03:26 AM, said:

I voted for option No.3 in poll too, but I think 1st one is also very important. If you want to make soldiers actually helpful, not act idiotically and be smart enough to not get stuck in one place (like Daikatana's "legendary" bots :) ) and able to follow player trough entire levels, you should give them same basic abilities like player has (jumping, openig doors, crouching, using ladders, swimming, etc.).

Actually that's unnecessary once they can teleport, but it would be a good idea nonetheless.

Yeah, the bots need a lot of work. They were my main problem in the mission Revolution, because they kept getting stuck, and once they got stuck in the river and I couldn't get them back, so I couldn't complete the mission.

User is offline   Player Lin 

The river in Revolution level has a way go back the road, you go to river let those bots follow you then slowly go back to the road, make sure they're always follow you and you can get them back without stuck...

Unless you don't know where is the way to leave the river, or the bots just stuck on somethings and cannot moving anymore...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options