Duke4.net Forums: E3 2012 - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E3 2012  "Expectations? Best showing? What games/systems are you excited about?"

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostBurnett, on 05 June 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Premium bullshit BF3...

Five map packs for 50€ plus lots of other stuff, a good deal if you ask me. Already bought it.

User is offline   Kathy 

10 euro per map pack is still bullshit. There is also a problem with server queue. Plus the problem with paying for something that's not yet made. Could be a shitty map pack.

Well, maybe for some it would be a good deal. Still... EA tries to have money before even making something.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 17 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

User is offline   thatguy 

Any Call of Duty or Warbased game DLC tends to be utter BS from the beginning. :/

User is offline   Martin 

It was OK in COD4, where map packs were only a few quid. These days, by the time you've gotten all the map packs you've spent nearly £90. On one game.

User is offline   Kathy 

The bad thing is that you can't even "blame" Activision/EA for that if people buy this stuff. If sales of dlc were shitty, they wouldn't try to sell 4 maps for 15 bucks.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostBurnett, on 17 June 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

10 euro per map pack is still bullshit.

The price is just about right. These days it takes tons of time and testing to get maps out of the door. 20 maps for 50€ is fair and there should be something for everyone: at least the first three map packs are thematically very different.

And, of course, you can just buy them separately if you don't want to commit yourself to purchasing all of them. So what exactly is the problem?

User is offline   Martin 

It's too much when the COD4 map packs cost £4, which each gave you the same amount of maps as the newer COD DLC. It's little-to-nothing to do with working on the content etc. They charge that much simply because they can. They know they have you under their thumb, and you will purchase it. This goes for Battlefield, as well. Please believe that DLC for the two most popular FPS franchises goes for way more than it's actually worth, these days. Now you don't even get five new maps. You'll get three, and two remakes of old maps from past games. Shit like that. Don't tell me those prices are worthy.

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostMikko_Sandt, on 17 June 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

And, of course, you can just buy them separately if you don't want to commit yourself to purchasing all of them. So what exactly is the problem?

The problem is that it could become "pay to win" bullshit. Server queue priority is already there.

These days it takes tons of time and testing to get maps out of the door.

It's not a free to play game either. Shouldn't it be more like "wow, so much people bought the game that we have funds to make more"? Of course it's "their" game to charge whatever they want, but still.

This post has been edited by Burnett: 17 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostMartin, on 17 June 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

They charge that much simply because they can. They know they have you under their thumb, and you will purchase it. This goes for Battlefield, as well. Please believe that DLC for the two most popular FPS franchises goes for way more than it's actually worth, these days.

Lol. In case you didn't know, an item's worth is determined by the consumer, not by a committee. If the price is higher than the item's worth, the consumer won't purchase it. If the price is right or below the item's worth, then the consumer will purchase it. Of course, like with most purchases, you really don't know until you try but BF3 players probably have enough experience with BF3 maps to be able to make a sound choice. The same with Call of Duty. Those playing & buying new Modern Warfare 3 map packs know pretty much exactly what to expect from DLCs. So how can the company have the consumer "under their thumb" when both parties get what they want?

Now you don't even get five new maps. You'll get three, and two remakes of old maps from past games. Shit like that. Don't tell me those prices are worthy.

Well people are buying remakes for a reason. The first BF3 map pack was awesome precisely because it brought back some of the classics.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Of course they charge a lot, because there's a huge demand. The price charged and quantity bought are all determined by supply and demand. It's economics. The supply is constant in this case (virtually infinity) so it's the demand that dictates the price and quantity.

Imagine a market equilibrium like the one below. Supply and demand are balanced, and result in a price and corresponding quantity being bought at that price. The price that the sellers are willing to sell at matches the price that consumers are willing to buy at (anything else and sellers wouldn't sell and consumers wouldn't buy, naturally).

Posted Image

But oh what's this? The demand here for DLC is a lot bigger (demand curve has shifted to the right, as per the purple arrow next to demand). A new equilibrium is established, one where the price and quantity have both increased in order to match this new equilibrium. Due to the high demand, the price that consumers are willing to buy at is much higher, therefore the price that the publishers are willing to sell at is also much higher. It doesn't make sense for them to sell it any cheaper. Of course everyone already knows this, it's just nice to see it on a graph Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 24 June 2012 - 05:25 PM

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Your linear supply curve of course doesn't match your assumption of a constant supply.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Actually I said the supply was infinite, so I'd imagine that line would keep on going and going to the top right corner. I'm sure the graphs outline the gist of what's going on, but honestly, I'm a bit fuzzy on the finer details. I had a shit microeconomics lecturer, and nobody out of the hundred or so students knew what he was talking about. I pretty much said everything I learned from the 2 month course, so hopefully I passed the exam and will never have to use any of it again.

User is offline   Martin 

I don't believe in "supply-and-demand" when it comes to digital distribution. With such things, they should be sold for a fair price, dictated by the amount of work that went into the product. There is no finite supply, and so 'demand' and the usual resultant scarcity doesn't apply, in my opinion.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

This is actually an interesting matter because the traditional, competitive supply & demand model does not apply. In a competitive equilibrium the price charged would equal the cost of supplying one more copy of the DLC (the so-called "marginal cost", which is simply the partial derivative of the cost function with respect to quantity), which would be essentially zero for the very reason Micky hinted at. The firm's average costs would also fall for a good while as they start supplying additional units, which is also against the assumption of competitive markets. However, the firm faces probably high fixed costs for the very first unit produced so obviously they cannot charge nothing. Also, the costs of mantaining Battlelog & whatnot must be considerable. As for the model, you're probably better off removing the supply curve entirely as this case is closer to a monopoly situation than competitive markets. The demand curve, btw, does not shift in this case the way Micky mentioned. Demand curves shift as a result of some exogenous variable having an effect on them. The two endogenous variables (price & quantity) cannot shift the demand curve. A price change would rather lead to a movement along the demand curve.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 27 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

This topic is somewhat appropriate.

Posted Image
http://wosland.podga...wright-profile/

View PostBurnett, on 27 October 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

This topic is somewhat appropriate.

Posted Image
http://wosland.podga...wright-profile/

It's about time somebody called out this guy's bullshit.
I've also hated this fake ass since the first day I saw him.
He is such a fake (I have to put on my gaming interested face for work now) person and he always gave me the impression that he has absolutely nothing in common with gaming in his private life.
It's very clear for lots of people how the review sites work.
Gaming reviews are an industry in itself since years now...

As much as I thought DNF was a piece of shit, hearing this guy calling it the worst of the worst and criticizing it as it wasn't worth his precious time because it wasn't enough like halo or cod, I felt like knocking his teeth out badly.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 27 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

Too bad the problem is not just some presenter from a popular tv program. Or whatever he's doing.

Man, I hate journous cheering on various e3 briefings. Looks stupid.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options