Duke4.net Forums: E3 2012 - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

E3 2012  "Expectations? Best showing? What games/systems are you excited about?"

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

  • I have the power!
  • 389

#1

So, I'm sitting here waiting for the Nintendo live stream to start and I am thinking "I'm not seeing enough intelligent people talking about E3 anywhere." (Yes, I have been reading comment threads...)

So, what say you?

When I first heard about the Wii U I was intrigued. I still have my reservations (I'm a PC gamer all the way still. Doesn't mean I don't LOVE Super Smash Brothers or Duck Hunt).

I heard bits and pieces about the new Star Wars game but I'd love to learn more.

What games are you guys interested in now? E3 isn't what it used to be, true, but it still is the place to reveal projects or show off juicy details about upcoming games.

Spoiler


I'm still smarter than you
0

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

  • 214

#2

I was surprised to see they are doing it this year. The next generation is way overdue. With nothing new to show at E3 2012 you can see how stagnate the industry has become.
1

#3

View PostMad Max RW, on 05 June 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

I was surprised to see they are doing it this year. The next generation is way overdue. With nothing new to show at E3 2012 you can see how stagnate the industry has become.

Dishonored! If you like Deus Ex etc Dishonored is your game!

I am also interested in some others that look pretty good.

Far cry 3
Tombraider
Borderlands 2 (1 was way overrated but still not bad)
That new metal gear looks alright, apparently there is less cutscenes, more gameplay thank god.
Darksiders 2?
Hitman absolution
Xcom? Maybe
Resident Evil 6? maybe
Dead space 3
Southpark?
Watch dogs
sleeping dogs

This post has been edited by DUKEvsS.H.O.D.A.N: 05 June 2012 - 10:33 AM

0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer
  • 4,004

#4

Borderlands has the potential to be the perfect game. I just wish they would make it deeper, more complex and more challenging; but I know they won't.
0

#5

Wow watch dogs looks promising!
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#6

Can't say I care about advertisement shows like E3. More like amused at certain tendencies like exclusive dlcs, motion controls etc., family


To be fair... right now I feel like saying FUCK THE INDUSTRY. And by industry I mean big corporate shit.

Has anyone seen the footage of Star Wars 1313? Cover based shooter with scripted like hell climbing/platforming sequences. Are you fucking kidding me?
Tomb Raider exclusive dlc which perhaps was the reason to postpone this? Fuck you.
Premium bullshit BF3...
Dead Space 3 coop? Yeah, right. Fuckcunts.
SWTOR is already trying to invite more players with 15 level demo. I guess, it's not looking good. Stupid shits trying to have WoW income instead of proper sequel.
Most titles for WiiU are ports from outdated 360/PS3. Next-Gen my ass. Sony/MS will fuck Nin next year if gimmick controller won't take off. I'm not even talking about PC.

Did I say fuck the industry? Yes? Well, fuck it anyway.



Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
1

User is offline   thatguy 

  • 125

#7

Just got back. First and only day at E3. Started out with the typical media badge pickup, then surprise surprise. Hung out with the crew from 'the Guild'. Had breakfast and talked about a bunch of games on show.

After that browsed both halls in one hour, then started going deeper. Checked out Dishonored, Assassins Creed 3 and Liberation, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Injustice, WiiU (including the awesome game ZombiU), and others.

The only disappointment was the fact that I couldn't get into the XCOM presentation. Because I was media. What poo poo. Whatever, good day all in all.
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#8

Can't remember the topic it was discussed, but you know RE6 was going all cover-based and actiony? Well, Dead Space 3 is going to the same station.

Fuck yeah, dudes! Can't wait to frag some necros Feb 2013 playing coop with my best buddy brohem, Steve!

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   thatguy 

  • 125

#9

View PostBurnett, on 05 June 2012 - 08:53 PM, said:

Can't remember the topic it was discussed, but you know RE6 was going all cover-based and actiony? Well, Dead Space 3 is going to the same station.

Fuck yeah, dudes! Can't wait to frag some necros Feb 2013 playing coop with my best buddy brohem, Steve!


RE6 I don't mind since the general feel is sort of like a huge conclusion to a long running series. A rightful epic showdown tying all story lines together.

Dead Space 3 on the other hand....I wish they didn't do coop. :/
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#10

And the worst part, I think, is the reason they're doing this. So that they could have online pass, always-on drm or just plain better sales because of MP part. Thus, single player will not only be lacklustre, but also non playable offline.

And it's perfectly ok for Army of Two or whatever, but not for the third game when first two were isolated solitary expiriences. It is also in the span of 5 years and not some revival of the series.

P.S. That got me thinking about Alien->Aliens progression, but it's not a viable analogy.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   thatguy 

  • 125

#11

View PostBurnett, on 05 June 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

And the worst part, I think, is the reason they're doing this. So that they could have online pass, always-on drm or just plain better sales because of MP part. Thus, single player will not only be lacklustre, but also non playable offline.

And it's perfectly ok for Army of Two or whatever, but not for the third game when first two were isolated solitary expiriences. It is also in the span of 5 years and not some revival of the series.

P.S. That got me thinking about Alien->Aliens progression, but it's not a viable analogy.


Actually it should be totally playable. Thats like saying Gears of War is totally unplayable offline because it has coop. That shouldn't be all that much of a worry.
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#12

I meant non playable as in Diablo 3. Having coop as a big thing opens the opportunity to defend always-on drm. As does Blizzard.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   Martin 

  • 155

#13

Haven't seen anything of this year's E3. Haven't heard anything which I didn't already know about. A forgettable E3, it would seem.

<span style="color:#FF0000;">WANTED:</span> American versions of Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, Hexen, and Quake II. I live in the UK. Will pay via PayPal. Drop me a PM.
0

User is offline   thatguy 

  • 125

#14

View PostMartin, on 07 June 2012 - 04:54 AM, said:

Haven't seen anything of this year's E3. Haven't heard anything which I didn't already know about. A forgettable E3, it would seem.


Ah, I find that hard to believe.
-1

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#15

Oh, and I just saw a Tomb Raider gameplay. Fuck you, Crystal Dynamics. While I thought the whole survivalish gameplay(displayed on e3 2011) wasn't for me I didn't expect it to become a fucking another cover-based person shooter. Fuck. Fresh revival my ass.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
1

User is offline   Martin 

  • 155

#16

I saw an awesomely-funny trailer for that new Tomb Raider today. It had the Uncharted theme playing over it, and for a moment or two I actually thought it was a new Uncharted game. It literally looked exactly like Uncharted, and with the theme.. well the wool was pulled over my eyes for a minute!

<span style="color:#FF0000;">WANTED:</span> American versions of Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, Hexen, and Quake II. I live in the UK. Will pay via PayPal. Drop me a PM.
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#17

Rewatched 2011 presentation of TR. No guns or other shit. Lots of QTE, but comparable to 2012 it's nothing.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   Sebastian 

  • 59

#18

View PostBurnett, on 11 June 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

Oh, and I just saw a Tomb Raider gameplay. Fuck you, Crystal Dynamics. While I thought the whole survivalish gameplay(displayed on e3 2011) wasn't for me I didn't expect it to become a fucking another cover-based person shooter. Fuck. Fresh revival my ass.


You prefer circle strafing your enemies?
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#19

View PostSebastian, on 12 June 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

You prefer circle strafing your enemies?

I prefer just being different. Previous combat system was good enough. This kind of cover-based combat shifts emphasis on shooting. And the fact that many 3rd person games are doing this is annoying.

And yeah, I would have prefered less combat and more something else. E3 2011 had different emphasis at least.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!
  • -4,939

#20

View PostBurnett, on 12 June 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

I prefer just being different. Previous combat system was good enough. This kind of cover-based combat shifts emphasis on shooting. And the fact that many 3rd person games are doing this is annoying.

And yeah, I would have prefered less combat and more something else. E3 2011 had different emphasis at least.


I for one prefer circle-strafing. I don't care if it's unrealistic. It was fun, damnit.

Oh well, I always have the ol' classic Tomb Raider level editors.

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Keep Radar away!
0

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

  • 214

#21

This about sums up E3:

Quote

Go to E3 and try to identify trends, you'll soon realize that you're looking into the past. E3 2012 could've been E3 2006. It is a museum without the informative placards. It's an archaeologist's dream. It's a reality show starring a washed-up rockstar. It's old gameplay. Old themes. A parade of old business models meant to pacify retailers, patting them on the head to assure them that they will be as relevant five years from now as they are today. E3 2012 was a fool's circus, more than any other E3 that I've been to. It insulted my intelligence, and insulted my enthusiasm for video games.

1

User is offline   Ronin 

  • 1,125

#22

View PostMad Max RW, on 13 June 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:


Good article, interesting to read the comments too. A few people have brought up the point that because AAA games have become so stagnant and cater for the 15 year old male market, that this is a great time for indie developers. I agree as I have out grown modern gaming to the point where its very rare I am interested in a new game and when I eventually play it I'm too often disappointed. The best games I played this year is a re-release of MGS 3 and Dark Souls which in fairness is quite unique and special.
Gamers from the 80s have grown up, the industry needs to catch up, there is an audience there, it just needs to be mined more. The game I look forward to most this year? Retro City Rampage.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 13 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#23

View PostRipemanewone, on 13 June 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Good article, interesting to read the comments too. A few people have brought up the point that because AAA games have become so stagnant and cater for the 15 year old male market, that this is a great time for indie developers.

It is great time from a technical point of view of being able to publish through digital destribution and stuff. And of course with all the usual gameplay from AAA titles it is easier to distance yourself by having different gameplay mechanics completely.

I'm also have a somewhat transitional period from big titles. Last 3 games I played were Vessel, FEZ, Journey. And with Mass Effect out of the way I'm less interested in big games now.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is online   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor
  • 3,817

#24

I haven't played a big game in years. My most recently bought game was Serious Sam 3, which is kind of an indie game, and nothing for two or three years before that. The only big game I'd consider getting at the moment (but only on sale) is Max Payne 3, I was happy when I heard it didn't have regenerating health, which is quite refreshing these days.

Polymer wishlist: Global illumination, SSAO, Bloom, reflective surfaces, adjustable specular (wetness), volumetric lighting.
Mapper of the Month December 2014.

Herbs? Tell me more!
0

User is offline   Ronin 

  • 1,125

#25

I have gone back to 16 bit to have a bit of fun, Blackthorne you're up next, or maybe Super Metroid. I saw this new game Watch Dogs and cool as it looked I just kept thinking as I watched the demo, GTA 4, Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Dues Ex HR, same open world problems will be sure to arise too, as while Ubisofts games look and run smoothly, they always feel like something is missing, like the game is as much in control as you. Not the case with older games. One half of me tells myself that the older generation always say these things and this is just history repeating itself, the other half tells me they are usually right at least on some level.
Also I don't think a race to the next generation is the solution to the problem as next gen games will probably be even more shallow as they will be just as content with mind blowing eye candy as this gen is. Graphics even on consoles are great enough to make some incredible stuff with the right minds behind them, people just need to think outside the box a bit more.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 13 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

0

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

  • Duke Plus Developer
  • 4,004

#26

View PostRipemanewone, on 13 June 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

I have gone back to 16 bit to have a bit of fun, Blackthorne you're up next, or maybe Super Metroid.


play the GBA and DS Metroid and Castlevania games if you haven't already. They are perfect for scratching that 16-bit itch.
0

User is offline   Ronin 

  • 1,125

#27

View PostTrooper Dan, on 13 June 2012 - 06:22 PM, said:

play the GBA and DS Metroid and Castlevania games if you haven't already. They are perfect for scratching that 16-bit itch.

The only Metroid game I ever played was the DS one the fps, it was pretty good for the tech it was on, but I watched tonight reviews of all the old Metroids games and I think the Snes one looks and sounds the best so I will start with that, after that the GBA one looks great too. I personally find The Castlevania games to slow for my liking though I loved Super Castlevania.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 13 June 2012 - 06:30 PM

0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#28

View PostRipemanewone, on 13 June 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Also I don't think a race to the next generation is the solution to the problem as next gen games will probably be even more shallow as they will be just as content with mind blowing eye candy as this gen is. Graphics even on consoles are great enough to make some incredible stuff with the right minds behind them, people just need to think outside the box a bit more.

I sure hope/demand next generation will be full hd @ 60fps. That is all I need from graphics department. WiiU of course is out of the picture then.

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

User is offline   Martin 

  • 155

#29

View PostRipemanewone, on 13 June 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

I have gone back to 16 bit to have a bit of fun


If you like your SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis, and have a PS3/360, look of the collection disc SEGA released a few years back. Over fifty games, and you can literally buy it for 5. Or just emulate on your PC ;)

<span style="color:#FF0000;">WANTED:</span> American versions of Duke Nukem: Zero Hour, Hexen, and Quake II. I live in the UK. Will pay via PayPal. Drop me a PM.
0

User is offline   Kathy 

  • 1,248

#30

http://gamejournos.c...fuck-videogames

My thoughts exactly...

Windows incompatibility is a feature, not a bug.
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options