Duke4.net Forums: Problems With Hrp - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Problems With Hrp  "Whilst running HRP, DN stutters, freezes and takes forever to load."

User is offline   tkoyl240am 

So just recently ive tried this amazing HRP for my all time favorite game.
It's playable to a limit. But its annoying as hell, and I will explain why.

The following problems are only when the HRP is implimented. When I switch the video options to 8Bit everything works the way it should, perfectly.

-When loading resources before a level, it usually takes an unbearable 1-2 mins.
Well, if its supposed to I guess im fine with that as long as everything else is fixed. But i have a feeling this is one of the problems.

-As the level starts, it freezes the screen and music, but everything else works in the background. I say this because after the temporary freeze things will have moved the way they should have without me seeing it.

This also happens whenever I get in a new area, or something has to load dramatically. For example; E1L1 when you drop from the shaft. On the way down just before you enter the area it will lock up, and seconds later i will be on the ground possibly in the middle of the road being shot at countless times by the bugger on the box.

-Stuttering will always happen, unlike the temp freezes that only happen at specific areas.. when i fire a rocket for the first time it will always delay and lag.. anything like that, regardless of the 6,000 files in my texcaching folder.

This will continue to happen all througout the levels, especially when first playing the levels.

YES I do have texcaching.. So after i've played the level, when I go to play it again it loads a tiny bit faster, and theres less lock-ups and stuttering.. But honestly its barely noticable, and i could just be telling myself that, when really there could be no improvement at all...

When i go into Game options, and go MORE all the caching/compression options are enabled (on).

Heres what I've done to try and solve this problem
----------------------------------------------------------

I've tried it on 2 computers. Both Windows XP. Both computers have pretty nice stats i dont really know them, but for example they can both run Doom 3 fine at medium settings. (Don't know if that helps..)

I've tried reinstalling the HR Pack. I've tried starting from scratch with the GRP file alone. I tried a couple versions of HRP, all with the same result. As of now I'm running off the latest HRP version and its the same.

I've tried using the latest Eduke snapshot, it doesnt fix anything.

Looking at my driver.. I tried updating it, but it said there were no updates available. I also downloaded DirectX End Users something or rather. Apparently its all the Direct X ups, and im pretty sure I was at DirectX 9 before anyways.

I even tried dling a different GRP and trying with that. Nope nothing changed.

My computer undoubtedly has the power to run this. And I am "precaching" im sure.. So what else could be the problem? Is this normal? will the texcach reach 10,000 files and everything work fine? Please someone help me out. If any other information is needed i'll try my best to get it listed.

Please help!

It really sucks spending 2 mins to load, and 40 secs into the game you aproach 2 flying pigs and one on the ground.. after a 3 second freeze your dead, having no time to play you have to wait 2 mins to load again.. Yes this is Red Light District..

It seems everytime I do ANYTHING it will lag enormously. IE picking up a pistol, opening a door, shooting a monster, droping a pipe bomb, blowing the pipe bomb up. Its just rediculous, no one else seems to have these problems, and ive investigated very thoroughly. Is it maybe because I need something for Windows XP to run it smoother?..

I jus dont get it..

The recent news of DNF resurfacing is making me want to play this more than ever...

Ive been tryna get on 3dRealms website to ask them.. well its been 4 hours and nobodies accepted my request to be registered... lmao.. since when do mods have to accept you to be registered? thats BS to the fullest right there.

-------------------------------------
EDIT: Well.. I checked out my Video card for fear that it was it. And it very well could be.. here's what I got.

nVIDIA G-Force FX 5200
with 128MB

Im starting to think it might require a higher card. Anyone who has this working whats your video card ram? Do I need to buy a new one?
I think this could be my problem because after trying at 16 bit on resolution 680x400 it was alot better, not perfect but alot better.
What confuses me is that I tried this on another computer with a better (I think G-force4 or somethin) card and it still had the same problem. I could be wrong, or maybe it wasnt installed haha Ill have another check tommorow.
Clarification would be apreciated.

User is offline   Havoc 05 

g force 7150m.... not the best and I run it on a laptop. I also have about four GB of ram and the video memory for my card is 1071 MB.

I still occasionally experience lag when starting up a level.

And I have Vista.

I think thats just how the cookie crumbles. probably the card.

I have a friend with an alienware, and I bet it would still do the loading/lag.

Just yesterday I fixed this problem.
In my eduke32.log it stated that I needed to update my OpenAL Driver.
After doing so, all the stuttering is completely gone. I'm still left however, with the usual lock-ups at certain areas like coming down the shaft, or opening the doors to the theatre, or firing my rocket for the first time, or hitting someone for the first time with any specific gun.

I've come to the conclusion that it's either my Video Card or my lack of RAM thats causing the persisting problem. I am going to be testing the OpenAL on my other computer this weekend that more than likely has enough RAM so that will tell me if its my video card.

It's now very much playable and the small lockups im getting now are much shorter and easier to live with.

Thanks for the confirmation on the loading/lag I wasn't sure if it was just because of the error, but even after the fix its still quite the wait for loading.

PS: This is on my 1.4 GHZ, 256MB RAM, 64MB Video Card computer. My other computer is better so it should work close to perfect on that computer if it runs good on this old thing.

User is offline   Havoc 05 

If you don't like the loading time, try pressing space a buncha times when its loading.

for some reason it skips to the game for me.

View PostHavoc 05, on Jun 14 2008, 09:33 AM, said:

If you don't like the loading time, try pressing space a buncha times when its loading.

for some reason it skips to the game for me.

Oh this was mentioned to me before but without the "buncha times" ill try it asap.

And on my other computer, with stats to the next level can now run the game near perfect after installing latest OpenAL
so this thread can be closed. thanks Havoc :)

EDIT: tested and works with the 'spacebar' trick!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options