Duke4.net Forums: DNF worth buying? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

DNF worth buying?

User is offline   RacerBG 

I had readed some reviews and watched a few videos but I can't decide still.....worth buying this game? Can you guys give me advice or something?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

If you can find it cheap then go for it. With all the bad reviews around at least you shouldn't be disappointed.

Money are not important factor for me If I can have hours of fun and enjoyment with one game. :( Yes, the comments are mostly negative but for a true Duke fan this will be not a problem. The problem is that still Im not such kind of person. :P But I will become.... :)

User is offline   djdori11 

If you're a duke fan yes it worth buying.
You can find it in a cd-key store site for 10$+-
But make sure you buy TDWCM too!!

I can get it from the local store. :)

User is offline   Jinroh 

You can pick it up on Amazon for like $11 for the PC new, so I would say go for it. It's a pretty fun ride I thought, it's not perfect, but good if you just wanna sit back and kill a few hours now and then.

The Doctor Who Cloned Me DLC is IMO better than the main campaign, so it might be good to throw the extra $10 or whatever at the game once you're done.

Though if you have a GBA I would also recommend Duke Nukem Advance if you haven't played it. It's a solid GBA Duke FPS that borrows some elements from DNF. It's more oldschool, but still a nice Duke experience.

For the moment I have only DN3D and all of its addons so I will think about that too, thanks. :)

User is offline   Ronin 

It's worth getting just to see what all the fuss was about, and for nostalgia reasons if you were a long time Dukehead. I liked it overall even though some things in it really annoyed me, its not as bad as the critics say just don't expect to be blown away and you might see the good in it, and there is plenty of good. The expansion is much better, I think.

It's a mediocre FPS that I wouldn't pay more than $10 for.

For the price it is now, I suppose its worth playing. 'The Dr. Who Cloned Me' is slightly better than the campaign, and you need the disc to play it.

I've only completed the game twice since it came out. I just look at it like an unfinished game, the Duke that never was. So if you're a fan, it could considered a collectable.

If you want an experience like Duke Nukem 3D, or any of the other games, don't buy it.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I just played DNF for a couple hours for the first time in a while. Certain things annoyed me, but it was still enjoyable. It does have an unfinished feel to it but it's still fun.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostBruno Mattei, on 25 May 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

It's a mediocre FPS that I wouldn't pay more than $10 for.

"Mutant Freak" is a more accurate description. :)

User is offline   Ronin 

View PostTerminX, on 25 May 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

I just played DNF for a couple hours for the first time in a while. Certain things annoyed me, but it was still enjoyable. It does have an unfinished feel to it but it's still fun.

I bought it again for the pc when I got a decent machine and really enjoyed it way more than the really broken Xbox version. The four weapons really make it more fun if a bit easier, I think they should not have bothered with the Xbox version it really damaged people perception of DNF. People are still talking about DNF, we are and it gets mentioned in joke comments everywhere on the net when someone mentions a game that takes a long time to get released, my mates still like to annoy me about it. It may not have been the game we were expecting but its still more fun than most modern fps game I tried to play recently. I may be deluded, but fun is fun.

This post has been edited by Ripemanewone: 25 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

I enjoyed DNF, same with it's expansion. Sure, it wasn't the best game ever, but certainly not the worst either. Not as bad as all the reviews IMHO. If you're going to get a copy of DNF, get the PC version, the console versions were very poorly optimized, and have ungodly long load times.

The only things that really bothered me about DNF is that they didn't stick with the Manhattan Project-styled EGO system, the fact that they dropped a lot of cool ideas and levels from the game, and that the levels didn't have the sprawling free-roaming design of Duke3D's. It would have been nice to use the jetpack a few times as well. The expanded inventory option of the PC version is nice, would still have been good to have the HL2-Style weapon selection back like from the old Jace Hall footage, but, it does good enough I guess.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 26 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

It's only worth buying if you just love FPS and have to play everything. The DLC campaign looked alright.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It has fun parts and is worth it if you are a Duke fan. For the love of God get TDWCM, it's sort of like what happened when the team got the chance to do it right.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 26 May 2012 - 02:43 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

At it's low price now, yes it is, especially the Single Player add on DLC. Go for the PC version, you got 4 weapon options, FOV options, better loading times and such.

User is offline   necroslut 

Yes.

I would get it. It's confusing at some parts, and others are a pain in the ass to understand where to go, plus those god awful on-rails turret sections, but all in all it is a fun experience! I greatly reccomend it. Personally, I think it's campaign is much more fun that Call of Duty, but I simply dislike modern shooters.

User is offline   Kathy 

The game has linear levels. What's there to understand where to go?

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The problem is the levels are made to look a lot less linear than they actually are (which ultimately only serves to make things more frustrating, like a giant tease). With large amounts of unreachable locations, and skyboxes, it looks like you can go just about anywhere. In reality, a lot of the time you reach dead ends, invisible walls, or worse the game actually kills you if you go into some places, and forces you to restart at an annoying checkpoint. In addition to this, the game attempts to make things difficult to progress by throwing "puzzles" at you, such as physics-seesaw-barrel-puzzles. There are not one, but 2 of these damn things. Finally, the way the game is scripted is quite poor. There's one location in the dam, where you have to walk around the entire area in order to trigger the scissor lift to arrive where you entered the room in the first place! Some of the locations like the dam also look very same-ish everywhere which can make it hard to tell where you've come from and where you're going.

And that's why it's hard to know where to go where to go in DNF's linear levels.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMicky C, on 31 May 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

The problem is the levels are made to look a lot less linear than they actually are (which ultimately only serves to make things more frustrating, like a giant tease). With large amounts of unreachable locations, and skyboxes, it looks like you can go just about anywhere. In reality, a lot of the time you reach dead ends, invisible walls, or worse the game actually kills you if you go into some places, and forces you to restart at an annoying checkpoint. In addition to this, the game attempts to make things difficult to progress by throwing "puzzles" at you, such as physics-seesaw-barrel-puzzles. There are not one, but 2 of these damn things. Finally, the way the game is scripted is quite poor. There's one location in the dam, where you have to walk around the entire area in order to trigger the scissor lift to arrive where you entered the room in the first place! Some of the locations like the dam also look very same-ish everywhere which can make it hard to tell where you've come from and where you're going.

And that's why it's hard to know where to go where to go in DNF's linear levels.

You nailed it Micky. There are so many spots where you think you can jump over something, but because Duke can't jump high/the area has an invisible wall, you can't go that way.

I mean, there's a spot near the beginning of the game, when you're going to the throne, and they block off one side of the stairs with a wet floor sign. What the shit were they thinking!? That pissed me off so bad when I first played it. "Why can't I go that way? What in God's name is so horrible about me going that way!?" It wasn't like I couldn't go into the area that spot lead to anyway. It just made the whole scripting of the game so transparent from then on.

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 31 May 2012 - 08:34 PM, said:

I would get it. It's confusing at some parts, and others are a pain in the ass to understand where to go, plus those god awful on-rails turret sections, but all in all it is a fun experience! I greatly reccomend it. Personally, I think it's campaign is much more fun that Call of Duty, but I simply dislike modern shooters.

But... The gameplay is the same. I mean it's the same damn thing, take out the character changing bits and replace them with some bits of Halo and you have Duke Forever.

Bits where you walk around and observe scripted crap.
Completely linear levels with dozens of canned animations and scripted events.
Regenerating health.
Aim down sights.
On rails shooter segments
Stationary turret sections

The only major differences are the vehicle and puzzle sections which only get in the way of, as Total Biscuit put it best "You shooting dudes."

The boredom factor is my chief complaint with the game.

This post has been edited by Commando Nukem: 31 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

User is offline   Martin 

If you're really a Duke fan (why don't you already have the game?), then now is a great time to buy it. It's very cheap now, which should take the sting out of how crap the game is. I paid £40 on release day!

If you do get it (which you should've done already by this point), then be SURE to get the DWCM DLC with it. It's much better than the original main campaign...though it's still on the little linear side. But trust me, you will enjoy it more. As for the main game itself, honestly, once you get all of the achievements/trophies, then there's really no reason to continue to go back and keep playing it.

User is offline   Jeff 

I'd say go for it. SP DLC was pretty fun.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

IMO, it's an alright game and the most fun you will get out of it will be from the Proton addon pack.
It has no replayability in my eyes though and is only a oncer, but then you do have the mulitplayer if your into that sort of thing, but then the MP isn't anything like Duke3D online.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

The price of Duke Nukem Forever on Steam is currently $20.00. But I have seen it for much lower than that ($5.00 at one point), so I would hold out. Summer's coming up and Steam usually has a big sale around that time.

User is offline   Engel220 

View PostAchenar, on 02 June 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

The price of Duke Nukem Forever on Steam is currently $20.00. But I have seen it for much lower than that ($5.00 at one point), so I would hold out. Summer's coming up and Steam usually has a big sale around that time.

Yeah, either that or it'll wind up in a random sale that they have almost every other day. I've seen the game and both DLC packs go for about £10 GBP before, not to mention the massive price drops on the individual costs of DLCs if you own the game already.

User is offline   Graywolf 

I Consider myself a hardcore duke fan and I hated the game with a passion. If you enjoyed Duke 3D and liked everything about it, prepare to be disapointed because all the good stuff from that game isn't present on DNF.

This post has been edited by Graywolf: 11 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

The only reason why it could be worth buying NOW, is if you have a morbid curiosity to see why everybody hates this game, in case you haven't played it yet.
If I wouldn't have been waiting for this game for 15 years, I would not buy it for the life of me.
I bought it day one because I had been waiting for it 15 fucking years and I was not going to wait even one more day.
I also knew that Randy Jerkoff or what ever the fuck his name is, knew that lots of people will be thinking like me and they would spend their money on that game, without caring about reviews or anything else.
I absolutely expected to get ripped off but I just bought it and hoped that if it would be bad, it would at least be a mediocre game and not the worst game ever made.
Now when I look back at it, I feel it was extremely close to being the worst game ever made.
I would have thought it sucks even if the exact same game would have came out in 2006.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 22 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options