Duke4.net Forums: Suggestions and balance changes? - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestions and balance changes?  "Post in here if you have any"

User is offline   Somagu 

View PostSlippy_Pig, on 17 June 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Or the points on the bolts could be damaged by the collision, and they would do less damage, influencing you to get new bolts and ammo.

While that is a neat and logical idea I feel like it would be kind of hard to visibly track how damaged each individual bolt would be in the pool of ammo. The only thing that really springs to mind is perhaps just having a damaged bolts ammo type, and a regular bolt fired would have something like a 25% chance to be used normally again, a 50% chance to be damaged, and a 25% chance to break outright, picking up the damaged bolts if for some reason you would need to use them, they'd have no chance of piercing, probably do significantly less damage and have a 75% chance of breaking, and a 25% chance of being used again. But that's all just a fairly rough hashing out of the idea. If you have a better way, please do share it!

User is online   Jblade 

Having a different ammo-type would be best - but I'd also most likely try and code it so that the chance of breaking depends on the type of wall it hits. If it hits a relatively soft one like a wooden wall or plaster than it would almost certainly be saved, whereas with a metal or stone wall it'll much more likely be destroyed. I actually need to make bolts stick out of walls anyway as well.

I have a couple more suggestions, if that's OK with you guys:

First off, I wanted to say a couple of things about new levels.
- I remember in one of the trailers, there was a portion that showed a level taking place on a speeding train. That would be nice to see in Episode 2.
- Would it be possible (perhaps in later episodes) to have levels in which you visit each character's homeland ? So you could go to Mars as Geoffrey (he already has a couple of weapons from Red Faction :D )
or to London as James etc.
- Speaking of which, it would be nice if Geoffrey, Zaxtor and Merlijn also got their own levels later on ;)
- Perhaps a high-speed car chase in one of the levels, if possible to make ?

Now, for the characters. I think that each major character should have a unique ability. Merlijn, Zaxtor and Highwire could use some special abilities. I thought of the following:
- While playing TF2 as Demoman, I thought, maybe Merlijn could have a unique charging ability with the shield. When pressing the Sprint key and the altfire key (while holding a shield) Merlijn could perform a charge and bash the enemy with the shield for extra damage. During the charge, if Merlijn would get hurt by the enemy, he would only take about 10% of the normal damage.
- I don't know if possible, but my idea for Zaxtor's special ability was to be able to use animals (rats or dogs or other) to call to help him during fights to attack or distract the enemy. That, or he could simply trick the enemies somehow to get temporarily on his side and attack other foes.
- As for Highwire, I'm not very sure... How about having a special pair of goggles with X-Ray vision, so he could see through walls ? Or, perhaps he may be able to use a small unmanned vehicle to scout the area ahead for dangers.
- Also, Geoffrey's railgun should be able to shoot through multiple enemies at once if they are lined up well.

Now, for the weapons. I already made some suggestions, but I happen to have a couple more ;) . So, I will make some suggestions for the characters; of course I understand that not every weapon has a possible model to use, but it's more wishful thinking. I think each character's starting weapon set is very good and should remain unchanged, but it would be nice, if you could select more special weapons for replacement at once, not just one. Well, here goes:
- For James :
1. Walther P99 (or the Walther PPK, for an added James Bond feel B) )
2. Walther MPL sub-machinegun
3. Enfield L85
4. G36
- For Rusty
1. Colt Python
2. Mateba Autorevolver: http://en.wikipedia....ba_Autorevolver
3. This one is an odd weapon, but I find it very interesting; it's the Luger P08's predecessor: the Borchardt C-93 pistol: http://en.wikipedia..../Borchardt_C-93
4. The Chauchat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauchat
- For Geoffrey:
1. Fusion Rocket Launcher from Red Faction 1 (sort of a BFG in RF1)
2. TDI Kard
- For Merlijn:
1. A curved scimitar, perhaps ?
2. One of those Malaysian daggers with ornaments, a kris.
- For Sang:
1. The Voodoo doll from Blood: It shold work the same way, stabbing the doll in front of an enemy would damage it, else it damages Sang.
2. Bergmann MP 18: http://guns.wikia.com/wiki/MP_-_18
- For Highwire:
1. Mauser C96
2. Stechkin APS automatic pistol
3. Vintorez VSS sniper rifle

Well, that's it for now :P Have a pleasant evening !

User is online   Jblade 

Some nice ideas, thanks for the suggestions ;) I'll be straight up and say I don't believe any of the previous mappers are returning to the AMC TC (Mikko has expressed interest a while back though) Towards the end of the year I'll be asking for help with the added incentive of being a character in the game (now with the increased art tile limit thanks to Helix this is possible) for mappers and stuff. What will more likely happen is new characters with new storylines, with the 'retired' agents in the background. Keeping a story going with team members who may not be available is very difficult and this is reflected by the fact that only half of the characters were really developed. I have regretted this and is something I hope will change with episode 2.

User is offline   Somagu 

- I remember in one of the trailers, there was a portion that showed a level taking place on a speeding train. That would be nice to see in Episode 2.
It is in Episode 2.

- Speaking of which, it would be nice if Geoffrey, Zaxtor and Merlijn also got their own levels later on ;)
They will. Or rather they would have/might if their respective counterparts are interested in doing anything further with the project.

- While playing TF2 as Demoman, I thought, maybe Merlijn could have a unique charging ability with the shield. When pressing the Sprint key and the altfire key (while holding a shield) Merlijn could perform a charge and bash the enemy with the shield for extra damage. During the charge, if Merlijn would get hurt by the enemy, he would only take about 10% of the normal damage.
10% is way too low. He'd be practically invulnerable all the time. 30% even is pushing it, but I'd settle for that.

- I don't know if possible, but my idea for Zaxtor's special ability was to be able to use animals (rats or dogs or other) to call to help him during fights to attack or distract the enemy. That, or he could simply trick the enemies somehow to get temporarily on his side and attack other foes.
Zaxtor's gimmick is that he has no gimmicks and plays as close to Duke as possible, but James of course has the say here.

- As for Highwire, I'm not very sure... How about having a special pair of goggles with X-Ray vision, so he could see through walls ? Or, perhaps he may be able to use a small unmanned vehicle to scout the area ahead for dangers.
Highwire can already command command an extra soldier, X-Ray I dunno how feasible is in the Build engine, and a UAV seems rather unlike something a Russian stereotype would use.

- Also, Geoffrey's railgun should be able to shoot through multiple enemies at once if they are lined up well.
Already does.

This post has been edited by Somagu: 10 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

Long time no post, was very busy. I´m wondering why this thread exist when I created a suggestion thread a long time ago? Also, are my suggestions I made back in the day still thought about/current or where they all discarded? Just wondering about that.

User is online   Jblade 

I made this thread to try and get a bit more interest in Episode 2, it's better to make a new topic after a while rather than bumping an old one as people are more likely to read a newer topic. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten your suggestions ;)

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Hey, it's been a while.

I've been replaying your TCs (IW too, in order to unlock the extra weapons for James) and I came up with a suggestion. Have you thought in including some kind of "defense mode" in AMC TC? Aside from fun, it could be a good way to increase the squad budget without having to replay the main episode again and again... (or "The Classic Collection")

User is online   Jblade 

View PostRhaiNukem, on 18 April 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

Hey, it's been a while.

I've been replaying your TCs (IW too, in order to unlock the extra weapons for James) and I came up with a suggestion. Have you thought in including some kind of "defense mode" in AMC TC? Aside from fun, it could be a good way to increase the squad budget without having to replay the main episode again and again... (or "The Classic Collection")

Actually yeah - The new mission select interface means there's a good way to integrate the invasion maps into the main game. I'm planning on adding them in, so there's another way to earn a base budget :) (You can also play any usermaps, and it'll earn you money too - at least 2 per map, with more for maps with tons of enemies)

User is offline   Lt.Havoc 

So, this TC is still alive? Have not heard anything about it in ages. I mean will we ever see Episode 2 ?

User is online   Jblade 

View PostLt.Havoc, on 18 April 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

So, this TC is still alive? Have not heard anything about it in ages. I mean will we ever see Episode 2 ?

Yes it's alive, no you won't see it for some time. I don't post updates anymore since it just takes time and it gives the idea that it's almost ready. If the mod is dead (as in I'm in a position where I can't work on it anymore) than I will let everybody know :)

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostJames, on 10 August 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Some nice ideas, thanks for the suggestions :) I'll be straight up and say I don't believe any of the previous mappers are returning to the AMC TC (Mikko has expressed interest a while back though) Towards the end of the year I'll be asking for help with the added incentive of being a character in the game (now with the increased art tile limit thanks to Helix this is possible) for mappers and stuff. What will more likely happen is new characters with new storylines, with the 'retired' agents in the background. Keeping a story going with team members who may not be available is very difficult and this is reflected by the fact that only half of the characters were really developed. I have regretted this and is something I hope will change with episode 2.

I'd still like to map for the AMC TC but my mapper's block's been going on for years now :)

User is online   Jblade 

View PostSangman, on 18 April 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

I'd still like to map for the AMC TC but my mapper's block's been going on for years now :)

What a shame

User is offline   Loke 

View PostJames, on 18 April 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

What a shame

I'm working on a map for it but it wont be ready for probably the next 200 years. I believe MickyC is working on one as well.

User is online   Jblade 

View PostLoke, on 18 April 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

I'm working on a map for it but it wont be ready for probably the next 200 years. I believe MickyC is working on one as well.

Yes he is! You're seriously working on a map? That's pretty damn cool. My work load is a bit heavy right now but I'm planning on asking for help with the TC...specifically mappers and stuff. Also the idea is to make more characters based on people...Micky's going to be a new character in Episode 2 (that's some news progress anyway) Any mappers I get who are interested in making a few would probably be candidates for new characters based on themselves as well.

also for those who didn't know I was quoting Deus Ex to Sang's post...so I'm not being rude it's just a thing we do :)

This post has been edited by James: 18 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

User is offline   Loke 

Yeah, I've worked on it for a few months but progress has been slow due to other stuff intervening. It's very interesting to map for though (a nice break from vanilla Duke3D) especially all these new effects that I'll have to learn.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I'd be pretty missed off at this point if James stops working on the TC considering the work I've put into my map Posted Image

View PostJames, on 18 April 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

also for those who didn't know I was quoting Deus Ex to Sang's post...so I'm not being rude it's just a thing we do :)

I never asked for this :/

User is online   Jblade 

View PostSangman, on 19 April 2013 - 09:56 AM, said:

I never asked for this :/

Why contain it?

...S'cool.

James, I hope you won't be wearing those sunglasses during a night operation.

User is online   Jblade 

View PostSangman, on 19 April 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

James, I hope you won't be wearing those sunglasses during a night operation.

My vision is augmented.

...we should stop before someone gets mad :)

View PostJames, on 19 April 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

...we should stop before someone gets mad :)

The sound they'll make rattling their cages will serve as a warning to the rest.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options